• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Here is why I hate Marth dittos:

Me:"Oh hey I got a pretty good lead! I am gonna gonna try to set up an edgeguard by hitting them with a fair!"
*Gets hit by the luckiest tipper f-smash/shield breaker ever*
"GAME"
Me: "FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
I do agree that the Marth ditto is silly, due as well to one setup actually being another setup opportunity for your opponent xD But I do the dittos just for the learning experience (and hopefully show my opponents some stuff too in the process too).

Big trapping and punishing game.

That's about it.
Sounds about right when you put it that way xD

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Me:"Oh hey I got a pretty good lead! I am gonna gonna try to set up an edgeguard by hitting them with a fair!"
"GAME"
Lol yup that's exactly how it goes. And when I fight Lucina they are ALWAYS spamming Fsmash.

And the guy who Fsmashes or lets go of the shield breaker first always loses (assuming range and extended hitboxes are the deciding factors).

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

"GAME"
That's why you learn spacing so all your opponents attacks whiff and yours hit(;
marf ditto is the trust test of spacing<3

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720

"GAME"
Was it lucky, or was it a hard read?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Was it lucky, or was it a hard read?
Definitely luck since it always happens against a player who just YOLO f smashes or sheildbreaker all the time and they happen to hit it at the moment they did not deserve to hit it and end up winning.

That's why you learn spacing so all your opponents attacks whiff and yours hit(;
marf ditto is the trust test of spacing<3
No matter how hard I try I can't space well mid match on 3DS, on Wii U I am fine though, but I don't have a Wii U.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Definitely luck since it always happens against a player who just YOLO f smashes or sheildbreaker all the time and they happen to hit it at the moment they did not deserve to hit it and end up winning.

No matter how hard I try I can't space well mid match on 3DS, on Wii U I am fine though, but I don't have a Wii U.
Oh snap screw the 3ds version I wouldn't wanna do any mu on that xD, nonetheless marth dittos you crazy!?!

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I actually enjoy the Marth Ditto. I love the intricate spacing and reads involved. The lucky tippers can be annoying.

Sorry about not responding in a while. My alerts didn't notify me and o had the reset it.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Anyone else feel that Full Jump Fair and Bair are a lot better than SH ones?

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Anyone else feel that Full Jump Fair and Bair are a lot better than SH ones?
That's kinda situational really xD It is safer, yes, but sometimes the payoff of SH FAir/BAir is better. I tilt with using the latter really, and occassionally using the FH stuff if I want to play it safe.

Fullhop fair+landing sb should break shields
But that's assuming they block both attacks with the shield and not exploit the weakpoint of landing SB's startup and ending animations. You also gotta tipper if you really want that shield broken from just two moves, otherwise your opponent will likely be able to block both and punish you hard for it (This strategy works better for Lucina xD)

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Fullhop fair+landing sb should break shields
I used this so much. It's one me so many matches. Even though people are consciously aware that Marth can break shields, people just shield instinctively and they get punished so hard from this. SB doesn't even need full charge to break full shields. Like @ EternalFlame EternalFlame said, this works better with Lucina due to sweetspot, or more correctly lack of. It's usable with Marth, but if you sourspot it your opponents will punish you.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
If there's a player on the 3ds version named Vinius, ggs! I'm the Peach/Falcon/Sonic/Megaman Also, Shulk dthrow kills, and I notice u didn't do that to me. Nice marth! There really should be a global player finder built into the game lol..

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
That's kinda situational really xD It is safer, yes, but sometimes the payoff of SH FAir/BAir is better. I tilt with using the latter really, and occassionally using the FH stuff if I want to play it safe.

But that's assuming they block both attacks with the shield and not exploit the weakpoint of landing SB's startup and ending animations. You also gotta tipper if you really want that shield broken from just two moves, otherwise your opponent will likely be able to block both and punish you hard for it (This strategy works better for Lucina xD)
I find the ability to use an attack after a Full Hop Fair to be more rewarding than the SH one. Or not using a second attack and instead, landing behind the opponent or using the second jump.
It still is situational, since characters like Captain Falcon can easily punish a whiffed FH aerial, but it has been very useful for me in match-ups like Samus and Peach.
If there's a player on the 3ds version named Vinius, ggs! I'm the Peach/Falcon/Sonic/Megaman Also, Shulk dthrow kills, and I notice u didn't do that to me. Nice marth! There really should be a global player finder built into the game lol..
The good thing is that in the Wii U version, you can add the FG player and/or send them a miiverse message.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Right? And I do have a WiiU and Smash, I just didn't take it to college with me coz I'm in my last semester and trying to finish strong lol

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
anther's ladder is aight but majority of the players there suck. Shame cuz it's pretty accessible
So only play the good ones like marss and dabuz. They aren't snobs and will play you if you ask.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
dabuz might be a bit hard to play atm since he's tryna get apex practice in, and marss is alright but holy **** I've never seen anyone use up b so much on a character in my life outside of mr e in brawl

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
dabuz might be a bit hard to play atm since he's tryna get apex practice in, and marss is alright but holy **** I've never seen anyone use up b so much on a character in my life outside of mr e in brawl
lmao who's his main?
and you played mr e in brawl? (; how'd those marth dittoes go?

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
zero suit samus, so I guess it's within reason that he uses it a lot but **** I saw him do 3 up b's in a row with no hesitation missing every single time.

Nah, I never played him in brawl. Marth ditto's on wifi + everyone saying he lagged insanely didn't ever sound enticing

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
zero suit samus, so I guess it's within reason that he uses it a lot but **** I saw him do 3 up b's in a row with no hesitation missing every single time.

Nah, I never played him in brawl. Marth ditto's on wifi + everyone saying he lagged insanely didn't ever sound enticing
the risk reward is so in his favor it doesn't even matter ;/

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Those up bs looked good to me. He didn't really get punished, and he seemed to use them when they would cover a lot of options. Looked like he was aiming for the weak hit, and not for outright KOs. Up b is only really super unsafe when you're trying to get the strong hitbox so you'd have to be doing it on a grounded opponent basically.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I think you're giving him a little too much credit or you weren't watching the same stream I was on sunday. He does it to grounded opponents, a lot

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I find the ability to use an attack after a Full Hop Fair to be more rewarding than the SH one. Or not using a second attack and instead, landing behind the opponent or using the second jump.
It still is situational, since characters like Captain Falcon can easily punish a whiffed FH aerial, but it has been very useful for me in match-ups like Samus and Peach.

The good thing is that in the Wii U version, you can add the FG player and/or send them a miiverse message.
That is true, but you can use the whole FAir assault tactic to make up for that (usage of DB or SB after SH FAir), and that places them in a setup situation once more. Though this is coming from a more unorthodox Marth player, so you can take it with a grain of salt xD With SH FAir specifically, there is enough time to double jump and do another FAir before touching the ground, or just land and grab. There's a few options with the SH method, so I'm willing to defend it has its strong points. Whether FH or SH is all dependent on the person's playstyle and how they make it work for them.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
That is true, but you can use the whole FAir assault tactic to make up for that (usage of DB or SB after SH FAir), and that places them in a setup situation once more. Though this is coming from a more unorthodox Marth player, so you can take it with a grain of salt xD With SH FAir specifically, there is enough time to double jump and do another FAir before touching the ground, or just land and grab. There's a few options with the SH method, so I'm willing to defend it has its strong points. Whether FH or SH is all dependent on the person's playstyle and how they make it work for them.
and mu as well. I'd argue marth does not wanna rising FH fair since diddy can dash and sh/fh fair you before you can do anything.
I agree with you sh fair isnt completely useless, having no lag if done rising and being able to jump from it if done rising is a godsend.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
For sure. SH Fair is still great, especially against shorter opponents and/or faster opponents where you'll want to land on the ground faster than using a FH.
Some characters, though, (I believe) can't really punish the rising FH Fair and you can keep applying pressure that way.
I'll keep mixing it up and seeing which Fair goes better with which situation for me.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Diddy can't actually punish Rising Fair or Bair from Marth. Punish literally means hitting you while you are in recovery or after recovery but any action you try to do will get stuffed. Diddy can't do that. However, you are putting yourself in a very bad position considering how well he kills off the top and how devastating his momentum is once he puts someone in a situation he can take advantage of.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Diddy can't actually punish Rising Fair or Bair from Marth. Punish literally means hitting you while you are in recovery or after recovery but any action you try to do will get stuffed. Diddy can't do that. However, you are putting yourself in a very bad position considering how well he kills off the top and how devastating his momentum is once he puts someone in a situation he can take advantage of.
Pretty sure Diddy can punished a whiffed FH fair. If it hits his shield idk but whiffed for sure.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I meant on block. Generally if I say punish I mean on block unless I say otherwise.

A habit from Street Fighter.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Not being able to whiff attacks sucks. Combine that with marth having few active frames on his attacks superb spacing is now more essential then ever

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I mean...for the record you should never be actively TRYING to whiff buttons in front of people. That is bad. Regardless if you are playing Sheik or Ganon. If you whiff a button in front of a strong player, they will hurt you for it. That's not a Marth only issue.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That's true. Although I believe he wants to highlight the fact that Marth is easier to punish on whiffed attacks when compared to Sheik.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think he is really more so referring to how Marth could set-up a wall that was hard to penetrate. Now he can't and is more about actively poking at his opponents, intentionally hitting a shield to test his opponent or force a reaction.

Which means you need to be absolutely perfect at all times.

Or get REKT

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Whiffing isn't bad if the move doesn't have much cool down. Itll most likely only get punished if its a read, human reaction time isn't that fast. Whiffing is used for baiting as well. Whiff a dtilt in front of someone's shield and if they drop it or try to jump they're most likely gonna eat an fsmash. Whiff a Nair in front if someone's shield and you can jab or dancing blade them if they drop shield and try to attack. Its almost like frame traps in street fighter, you're not really trying to hit them with the whiffed moves/crouching jabs but bait them into attacking/dropping shield.
Whiffing also is a way to shield confirm safely w/out getting punished. Things that might get punished if shielded won't if whiffed, but the converse is also true.

I'm not talking about cross stage whiffing, more of close range zoning to box your opponent in/outout.

Edit: yeah you guys got it(:
marth the perfectionist...

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
What is a Frame Trap? I've been hearing that phrase a lot, especially on streams. Who does it affect Marth and how can he use them to his advantage?

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
What is a Frame Trap? I've been hearing that phrase a lot, especially on streams. Who does it affect Marth and how can he use them to his advantage?
It is when you punish someone out of a whiffed option while they are in ending lag, or at least that is what I think it is.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Basically it's not a combo but they can't avoid getting hit or grabbed for some reason or another. It's a pretty general term.

So if you bait someone into air dodging into the ground and punish their 22ish frames of landing lag, you put them in a frame trap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom