• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh yeah, i'm arriving in california on the 7th of December.
Will be staying at sky's house.

If I'm going to find out whether or not marth's viable at all, it's going to be there :D

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

If I'm going to find out whether or not marth's viable at all, it's going to be there :D
Try to make it over to Houston/SA (:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings

You are gonna meet Sky? Are you some famous smash player and I never knew about it?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I wouldn't say I'm famous nor 'pro' (at the level I consider pros at), but I've done my fair share of meeting as many smashers in person as possible.

There aren't many pro or famous smashers (unless they're europe/japan) that I haven't had the opportunity to meet.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Random side note, how was everyone's Thanksgiving? Any smashing going on with friends? I had a quite a few people over and all of them ended up playing Smash most of the time. One of my friends will end up buying a WiiU and the game. He started asking me about the competitive aspects. How to read opponents, etc. It was fun having to teach for a change.

Hi from Texas?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I got to play the WiiU version first time last night. It was pretty fun to have... control of my character again, I tend to hold the c-stick when I do downairs and dsmashes (FARRRK; in dsmashes case I actually started getting stuff out of it, charging the smash 'accidentally' but then releasing on reaction to the roll into me, glorious backwards hit of dsmash killing peeps at 100%), but was over the moon I could analog + c stick down to down tilt still, and then later on I played Falco and remembered I could instantly dash attack again and it was just amazing (Falco is so good in this game holy ****). Overall, game automatically felt "homely" again, where options I was struggling with made 'sense' in how I need to vary timings/positions to get punishes, for some reason I couldn't get into that mindset that well on 3DS (I guess I found walking and power shielding reliably nigh impossible).

No thanksgiving such celebrations in upside down land. Hope you all had a great time.
It's good I don't have a WiiU myself. I have a long list of **** I need to worry about before I fly and maybe I should just ban myself from smashboards so I don't get distracted.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
my thanksgiving was me eating turkey, then working 90% of the weekend up til now.

**** sucked, thank god for smartphones

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh and i'm really excited to see where I can take shieldbreaker on WiiU as well.

I got so many single/double aerials on shield into reading a shield on landing getting breaks (I swear this wasn't so easy on 3ds), it could've just been the late hour and poor reaction speed, but if the larger window of being forced to hold shield is reliably allowing us to throw out shield breaker on shield reads (WHEN PEOPLE LAND). Main issue with shieldbreaker is when it doesn't actually shieldbreak, but I think pressure strings on shield into shieldbreaker can be made quite a reliable play pattern if you're very confident with spacing it (tipper shieldbreak I'd hazard a guess at most characters not being able to reliably punish it; the range is just ginormous).

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I am exclusively using the C-stick on the Wii U version for smashes. Everything else feels weird. I cannot space aerials correctly because it pushes me into the direction I am holding unlike in Melee and PM, so it's awkward. I might be doing something wrong who knows. Regardless it is way more fluid. And connecting those tipper hits in HD is great.

I still need to get used to the fact that:

is a total of 49 frames with IASA in frame 48 in Melee, 51? total frames in Smash 4. I don't know if it's my brain being crazy but its like if I can feel the difference.

@ Zano Zano good thing you had your smartphone then! And the turkey could not have been that bad. (I'm not really good at giving positive reinforcement sorry D:)

I need to watch Falco videos. I am so used to Falco from Melee/PM that I have a tough time understanding how he should be played in this game.

@ Shaya Shaya I have also been messing around with shield-breaker and I am really impressed with the mind-games and scenarios that a B-reversed shield-breaker can provide. Since its in the air as well, you get some slight momentum forward which can also catch people off guard.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you don't reset the c stick to neutral it will 'hold' that direction, disallowing you to weave.

Falco should be played in this game like Larry/DEHF played him in Brawl, minus lasers (but his laser use was more like a co-part to his neutral game/pressure, what he punishes/how he punishes is all the same).

I tried taking Falco down the path of aggression in the later Brawl years thanks to Larry. He's one of the few characters in that game actually capable of playing aggressively and winning, and you kinda need to be able to if you cannot rely on your opponent being bad about handing lasers/side-b (i.e. they can't powershield). :falco: Dash attack OoS is quite frankly one of the most bogus/easy mode punishment tools in the entirety of Brawl tbh, and it's NOT WORSE IN THIS GAME.

Seriously power shield something -> dash attack.
You just won Falco.
You just won.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
ye, turkey was good, and someone bought us pizza at work today so that was tight too.

I think I'm starting to lean more towards robin over marth. Raz, I'll be joining you soon

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
feels much better to me, only thing that throws me off is that if you're holding a direction when you aerial with the bronze sword using the c stick, it doesn't pull out levin, but it hasn't been a real issue so far.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Why am I jabbing and nairing when I c stick? It was wifi, so it might've just been buffering combined with lag, but it happened at least 10 times over the course of 20 or so matches.

Also, I heard you got double 2-stocked, Nike.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
My Thanksgiving was pretty good, eat the food was even better for me since I was freaking starving all day. Just like Shaya, I also just got to play Smash Wii U for the first time too today visiting a friends house. He didn't really have any of the good controller for Smash Wii U,so we just used our 3DSs as controllers. Also @ Shaya Shaya are there any videos of you playing in tournaments or something. Would you mind playing against me to tell me how good I would do in a tournament? I want to get really good at this game,and I always get advice to play on a tournament to help me get better,so I want to know just how good I would do before I just embarrass myself in front of players who are way better than me.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Let yourself get embarrassed. I haven't heard a story from a single pro smasher about their first tournament/early days not being about getting wrecked and destroyed. You need to experience these things.

I also still don't own a wiiu/the game and I'll generally avoid wifi like that plague.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Let yourself get embarrassed. I haven't heard a story from a single pro smasher about their first tournament/early days not being about getting wrecked and destroyed. You need to experience these things.

I also still don't own a wiiu/the game and I'll generally avoid wifi like that plague.
I don't own a Wii U either. I only have the 3DS version. I have good internet and I rarely am the cause of a laggy game. If it is that common to have that sort of experience at your first tournament then sure I'll give it a try,but I doubt it will be that easy for me to find 3DS tourneys now.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well I live in Australia, so it'll likely be laggy.
You can still use your 3DS for a control in WiiU tournaments. Chances are you'll have the opportunity to get some regular controller practise if you show earnestness.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Well I live in Australia, so it'll likely be laggy.
You can still use your 3DS for a control in WiiU tournaments. Chances are you'll have the opportunity to get some regular controller practise if you show earnestness.
Is there a way to search up coming events in a specific area on Smashboards?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Is there a way to search up coming events in a specific area on Smashboards?
Yes. Either go to the "events" tab on site, or look under "tournament listings" or "regional zones." You may be able to find some Online Toruneys in Tournament listings

xNaught

Smash Rookie
Picked up Smash Bros. for 3DS this week, been playing exclusively Marth for about 5 - 6 hours a day (cutting into my Melee practice even.)

I've been playing competitive Smash for about two months now, mostly Melee and Project M. I won my first ever tournament set even, so I think I have potential. I picked up Marth because his highly fundamental, cerebral playstyle struck a chord with me. I love using all of his spacing tools to bend my opponent to my will and control the stage. Seeing fear in my opponents' movements is something I'll always adore. They fear the sword!

My first impression of Sm4sh as a whole was underwhelming. I ended up watching some Marth gameplay out of curiosity and for some reason, it made me want to buy the game. I think that despite the rather jarring changes to Marth's range, he still maintains the same playstyle. I've been experimenting on my own now and I feel at home with playing Marth across all platforms and titles. This is good for me because I didn't want to be the type of Smasher that was rather "spoiled" on the technical depth of Melee/P:M. I can play Marth in Sm4sh and have lots of fun.

Interested in talking with you all, and to learn more about Marth.
Cheers!

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I got to play the WiiU version first time last night. It was pretty fun to have... control of my character again, I tend to hold the c-stick when I do downairs and dsmashes (FARRRK; in dsmashes case I actually started getting stuff out of it, charging the smash 'accidentally' but then releasing on reaction to the roll into me, glorious backwards hit of dsmash killing peeps at 100%), but was over the moon I could analog + c stick down to down tilt still, and then later on I played Falco and remembered I could instantly dash attack again and it was just amazing (Falco is so good in this game holy ****). Overall, game automatically felt "homely" again, where options I was struggling with made 'sense' in how I need to vary timings/positions to get punishes, for some reason I couldn't get into that mindset that well on 3DS (I guess I found walking and power shielding reliably nigh impossible).

No thanksgiving such celebrations in upside down land. Hope you all had a great time.
It's good I don't have a WiiU myself. I have a long list of **** I need to worry about before I fly and maybe I should just ban myself from smashboards so I don't get distracted.
dsmash tip was killing people at 100%?
I'm gonna try to integrate more shieldbreaker as well(b-reverse and full hop/short hop fair land with SB)

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
I really think people downplay Marth's custom move heavy blade. The 4th hit kills at 60% no tipper and kills at 40% with tipper. It's insane,

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Heavy Blade is the cheese. A very very dangerous cheese.
I would honestly recommend it in doubles. The kill power and damage of it is insane.

But otherwise the practise that I put into the move (on 3ds, maybe a different story on wiiu with spacing and whatnot) showed that it's heavily punishable (if you thought people rolling into you was bad before...) and not consistent 'enough'. 7/9% for the first hit and you may combo into the second hit at really low percent, but otherwise you're just trading in DB1's 10-14% damage for the 7%.

Other aspects of it, like it being almost twice our sword range on the last hit can have some "powerful" ledge frame applications; otherwise trying to cover landings with something like this is the only other way to get some hits, but reliably getting the third or last hits? Just don't see it.

dsmash tip was killing people at 100%?
I'm gonna try to integrate more shieldbreaker as well(b-reverse and full hop/short hop fair land with SB)
Down Smash is quite literally 50% stronger on the backwards hit than the front one. You can kill people with it untippered at around the 100%-ish range.

Last edited:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
not to derail this (as if you can derail socials) but every time this is the most recent post when i check the smash4 boards i wonder "wtf forum is having a penguindrum discussion"

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
nice! but will customs be legal :/
I think this is still an ongoing discussion. I have seen tournaments run with customs, and tournaments run without it. As for now, it seems like everything is still in its testing phases.
Down Smash is quite literally 50% stronger on the backwards hit than the front one. You can kill people with it untippered at around the 100%-ish range.
And now I want to use this move more. Time to try and predict rolls behind me correctly >_<

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I am unsure if this is the place to discuss this and I apologize for interrupting the forum.

Hello, Marth-Mains!

I need your help in deciding on whether to choose MegaMan or Marth as my "mid-range" main. See, right now I am trying to select a rush-down character and a mid-range character to broaden my play-styles. Neither character is being considered for the rush-down main so I can't choose both.

My question then, if you choose to accept it, is: Who do you believe to be the better mid-range character in all regards, MegaMan or Marth? I would like to know your opinions, since you all have greater experience and success with Marth than I. If you do not know much about MM that is fine. I have experience using both and am really just in need of a final push to pick which one. (I am super indecisive so please bear with me.)

thank you all in advance!
(sorry again if this wasn't the place to post)

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
megaman is probably the god of mid range because lemons are arguably the best move in the game.
SHORYUKEN! is the best move in the game. You are not allowed to say SHORYUKEN! without typing it in all caps with a ! at the end.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
shoryuken

it is a pretty good move tho, and you can combo a diagonally down metal blade into it for a kill at like 60%

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Heavy Blade is the cheese. A very very dangerous cheese.
I would honestly recommend it in doubles. The kill power and damage of it is insane.

But otherwise the practise that I put into the move (on 3ds, maybe a different story on wiiu with spacing and whatnot) showed that it's heavily punishable (if you thought people rolling into you was bad before...) and not consistent 'enough'. 7/9% for the first hit and you may combo into the second hit at really low percent, but otherwise you're just trading in DB1's 10-14% damage for the 7%.

Other aspects of it, like it being almost twice our sword range on the last hit can have some "powerful" ledge frame applications; otherwise trying to cover landings with something like this is the only other way to get some hits, but reliably getting the third or last hits? Just don't see it.

yessss me turning around and style dsmashing to hit people who spot-dodge in front of me from brawl actually has some use now.

No seriously that's a thing (at least for me). One of my favorite ways to kill as marth. Walk up, turn around, charge d-smash slightly until you see opponent spotdodge then release and tipper back hit dsmash should happen (:

Of course you can do that without turning around, just has less style.

Super happy dsmash is that strong. If someone "lands" on Marth as he dsmashes does it still send at horizantal-ish angle?

Top Bottom