• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Any game can be competitive. The use of the word competitive by Scar is actually used in a lot more cases than just Melee vs Brawl.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, competitiveness with the meaning that is used here on smashboards is only used here on smashboards. Everywhere else, competitiveness always refers to the strength of the competition (the more competitive, the harder is is to win; This referrs to liklihood of a person to be able to win, whilst taking into account the skill level and number of opponents that he has to be better than, in order to win).

starL33T

Smash Cadet
Ok here we go...
Ankoku-- Thankyou for an intelligent post, and no, I don't think I’m better than you, or many ppl, and no I Don't Live in/on 4chan.
CoreyGames-- You’re a flipping ****, I was in a hurry to write so I made some mistakes, so the F*** what, does that make my post any less valid? NO. Second of all, Does it also mean that anyone who happened to join SWF this year's points or ideas any less valid, answer no, and as I reckon you got melee before 64, and never heard of 64 until melee was a really big hit I can tell coz U joined in 2006. See, I can make stupid assumptions as well. In fact I bet I know a whole lot more about all 3 smash games, and in fact life that you do, so STFU, and get job.
coreygames-- (again) I’m Not a newcomer to the boards, I was a visitor to the boards for a very long time, and only bothered to become a member recently, and just coz i don’t waste my time in front of a computer screen day in day out, posting dumb crap on SWF, DOESNT mean I know nothing about smash.
Everything I write or say, is my OWN opinion, i have no reason to waste my time, expressing other's opinions, and get burnt for it.
Samochan-- I'll be happy to keep this up, as long as kids like Coreygames is acting like a God, proud as hell, and understands that I know a fair bit about what I'm talking about, and if we were al punished for having some bad spelling or grammar over the internet, then we'll all be dead. (jk) and I AM NOT a 4chan user, buggered if I even know what the hell it is...
Nigerian star storm-- apparently we can't listen to your points either because you joined in 08, later than me in fact, bad luck... and no I'm not, this is my only post with any backlash, and its because my opinion differs from others, and people are too afraid to agree with the minority...

And I put the post in a word document and fixed up most of the spelling and grammatical errors for you "coreygames" so it's not too hard on you to read it, just like what you would have done ey?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Ok here we go...
Ankoku-- Thankyou for an intelligent post, and no, I don't think I’m better than you, or many ppl, and no I Don't Live in/on 4chan.
CoreyGames-- You’re a flipping ****, I was in a hurry to write so I made some mistakes, so the F*** what, does that make my post any less valid? NO. Second of all, Does it also mean that anyone who happened to join SWF this year's points or ideas any less valid, answer no, and as I reckon you got melee before 64, and never heard of 64 until melee was a really big hit I can tell coz U joined in 2006. See, I can make stupid assumptions as well. In fact I bet I know a whole lot more about all 3 smash games, and in fact life that you do, so STFU, and get job.
coreygames-- (again) I’m Not a newcomer to the boards, I was a visitor to the boards for a very long time, and only bothered to become a member recently, and just coz i don’t waste my time in front of a computer screen day in day out, posting dumb crap on SWF, DOESNT mean I know nothing about smash.
Everything I write or say, is my OWN opinion, i have no reason to waste my time, expressing other's opinions, and get burnt for it.
Samochan-- I'll be happy to keep this up, as long as kids like Coreygames is acting like a God, proud as hell, and understands that I know a fair bit about what I'm talking about, and if we were al punished for having some bad spelling or grammar over the internet, then we'll all be dead. (jk) and I AM NOT a 4chan user, buggered if I even know what the hell it is...
Nigerian star storm-- apparently we can't listen to your points either because you joined in 08, later than me in fact, bad luck... and no I'm not, this is my only post with any backlash, and its because my opinion differs from others, and people are too afraid to agree with the minority...

And I put the post in a word document and fixed up most of the spelling and grammatical errors for you "coreygames" so it's not too hard on you to read it, just like what you would have done ey?
Okay.

This is what we call "trolling," kid.

Either contribute to the discussion at hand or please leave. I think this is the last time that something like this needs to be said. Opinions are well and fine, but you are doing a piss-poor job when it comes to conveying them.

Edit:

Not you star, I was cheering the other people to pound some sense into you. >_>
I just noticed this. I <3 you, Samochan.

Smooth Criminal

Reaver197

Smash Lord
lol, teh vidya is serious business.

I don't really understand why we're arguing with star. He's talking about how he plays Brawl, a game that a lot of us in this thread think should not be played competitively. If he wants to play Brawl that way, then why argue with him? It's how, presumably, we (at the very least, I) think it ought to be played and handled; casually and lackadaisically.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
and that was just on that page, this ones for the previous posts...
Thumbs way up-- its simple I'm not a troll, I'm a person with an opinion.
nigerian star storm -- Shoryuken, no-one plays street fighter.
Dark Dragon --what makes you think I use Roy in melee, is it because of my avatar is it?, well I can safely assume you use top tier Mewtwo then. well as a matter or FACT, I dont use Roy, I use Fox and Marth, and I dont call them mains and seconds, like I would a meal. I just happen to be quite a fan of the Fire emblem series, and roy happens to be my favourite lord of all of the ones encountered along the many games, and its not a screen taken from melee, so its irrelevant anyway.
tarmacker-- 1- I dont have anything to rely to that, nice point.
2-I'll see if i can re-find a video i saw, its a very good example, but there was plenty of room to recover, half the stage (no exxageration) with full recovery, but however floated down the bottom until had no other option but the ledge, and was edgehoggedr, now that's m00b like, and they did consider themselves "competitive"
3- I'm just talking about on the boards, ppl like smoothcriminal who assum, because I'm not competitive, that they are better.
4- I can be a "casual" player, and be Competetive, dreamchasing's point, the definitions are stupid
5-at eforall, thats all people were doing... and they had it for a day or two rather that just playing.
6-wow 6 stages you can play on, well i can play on 30 odd.
7-very few huh? more than 0, well thats too many.

PS points.
-stop whining at how tired you are so u cant make point, Im doing this at 3Am.
-im not a 4channer
-who gives a toss about grammar and spelling at this time, and on the internet in general
- Ive been a huge smash fan ever since 64, so no, im not a n00b, thats just my name coz i have low posts.
- I just believe bar a few posters here, alot of them have been narrow minded, non-constructive, and irrelevant, such as, "he's stupid posts" "must resist urges to throw things" posts, and "he's wrong because of grammatical errors" posts. BTW, I'm the one spelling all these things correctly, other that actual errors, because American is a dialect of english, and instead of generalise, you write "Generalize" which I'm afraid is wrong by The English language, which i presume you speak, so dont arraign me for proper spelling.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
Smooth Criminal-- a discussion has more than one vantage point, just take mine on board and agree or disagree with it, however, i already know what you think. so dont post "I disagree"
I'm not trolling, unless having a opinion is trolling, oh wait its smash boards, it appears that this is the case. But wait, I think you're a troll because you are disregarding me views, and not contributing. if this is a troll post, then so was the las 2 pages of other people's on the same note.
samochan-- no, you see, I wasnt agreeing with you either, I just made a point with your post in it, it doesnt matter what you think or who wrote it, I will keep it up, thankyou. Sheesh, another sheep I see...
and of course reaver197-- I like the way you are trying to deal with this properly, but you sounds arrogent; as if I rly am a n00b at smash. But I doubt any of us will ever play, so why dont you just lackadaisically, leave the thread.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
Reason why none of us should even acknowledge starL33T's existence any more:
Yes, I exsist, and probably more than most of you, with a life, not suffocated with games, and arguing with one person, with some morbid obession to punch me on the chin, some i suppose want to falcon punce me in the chin, shoryuken me in the chin, stfu uppercut in the chin. however i can probably take a few mythical punches to the chin, considering they dont exist, and I do. However even a few real punches from 13-14 yrs wouldnt gravely wound me, however im not a troll, i have an opinion, accepted or not, and you will just have to deal with it, as long as you keep posting "troll" posts to tell me im "stupid" or "wrong".
i'd be happy if anyone can tell my how an opinion is wrong... while on the topic, if anyone knows, what is the Square root of -1 if they wanna find that out... cheers

A nice allegory for this argument is this...
"This isnt an argument, It's just contradiction"
"no it isn't"
"yes it is"
"no it isn't"
"yes it is"
...Monty Python

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I laughed really hard at the shuriken vs shoryuken tooooooo good.
To be fair, I read shoryuken as shuriken too.

Looking it up on wikipedia: Shoryuken (昇龍拳, Shōryūken?, "Rising Dragon Fist") is a fictional special attack in the Street Fighter series which was, according to the current storyline, developed by one of the story characters named Goutetsu, the creator of the fictional martial art branch Ansatsuken. The move is a jumping uppercut in which the user spins, knocking the opponent to the ground

Uhh... right... okay.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
CoreyGames-- You’re a flipping ****, I was in a hurry to write so I made some mistakes, so the F*** what, does that make my post any less valid? NO.
Errors, logical mistakes, poor writing (WTFP reference, yay) help distinguish someone who puts effort into their writing, rather than one who runs their mouth off, typically intertwining fact and opinion.

starL33T said:
Second of all, Does it also mean that anyone who happened to join SWF this year's points or ideas any less valid, answer no, and as I reckon you got melee before 64, and never heard of 64 until melee was a really big hit I can tell coz U joined in 2006. See, I can make stupid assumptions as well. In fact I bet I know a whole lot more about all 3 smash games, and in fact life that you do, so STFU, and get job.
08 posters have a tendancy to run their mouths off, spam, post threads about clueless topics, and make generalizations/negative stereotypes about the posters in this forum. It has gotten to a point where older members immediatly label anyone with an 08 join date as a lesser being, one without much experiance (that makes me feel a whole lot better). You state that you do not want to generalized as a newbie, but you've been making negative generalizations about others (mainly coreygames). A little ironic.

starL33T said:
Yet another negative generalization. Dumb crap? I know this is the General Brawl Discussion, but members of this community discuss key points on Brawl or Smash in general. Discussing the future competative scene, evaluating results/match-ups of characters (tier discussion), players, tournaments, and improving set games metagame (the little that Brawl has).

starL33T said:
If you think coreygames is god, you don't want to meet a certain someone. Starts with a Y, ends with an una.

starL33T said:
Even those who's opinions are 'shot down', still carry on those opinions. Even if the majority doesn't agree, that person typically still holds to their opinion. That 'dumb crap' that is discussed in these forums influence their prospective of Smash. I reccomend you see more of what this forum has to offer before attacking me or others in this thread as of right now.

starL33T said:
Believe it or not, there are those who do not need to use spellcheck to have a error-free post in terms of grammar. Generalizations again? I'm sure others bashing you has influenced the material that you have posted, but do not come right back by giving them negative generalizations.

In this thread, if your attack others with negative generalizations, you may will get a verbal beating.
And apparently in this thread, coreygames is god.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Congrats on spelling it right, but that doesn't really apply in that context.
Here is what I have to say to you starL33T

There aren't enough facepalms in the world to effectively demonstrate my level of surprise at the naivety of your posts. You calling people sheep is like the pot calling the kettle black. Just sit down, think your posts through, and understand where WE are coming from. By not immediately alienating your opponents like you do in every post, you open up the opportunity for healthy debate and for your opponents acceptance of you as an equal. Ever since your first post in this thread, you have given us absolutely no reason to treat you as an equal in this debate, and until you start posting intelligently, and cut the sardonic and often misinformed crap, things will only continue the way they have.

In a sense, if you don't have anything intelligent to say don't say it at all.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
facepalm all you like, but it doesnt contribute, only aggravates, and therefore, is a troll post and you should be banned, according to some. anyway, I don't really care what opinion you have of my spelling, its most likely better than yours, I'm also typing rather fast, so i can forgiven for making a few mistakes here and there.
so facepalm yaself, and stop wasting valuable space on my monitor with ridiculous facepalm images.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I type at over 100 words per minute and spelling errors elude me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JOOOOOOOOOHNNNNNNNNNNSSSS. :laugh:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>_> I'm sorry I main Mewtwo guys.
<_< I don't like whoring tiers like I do, but it just happens.
I like winning XD!
-DD

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
facepalm all you like, but it doesnt contribute, only aggravates, and therefore, is a troll post and you should be banned, according to some. anyway, I don't really care what opinion you have of my spelling, its most likely better than yours, I'm also typing rather fast, so i can forgiven for making a few mistakes here and there.
so facepalm yaself, and stop wasting valuable space on my monitor with ridiculous facepalm images.
I complimented your spelling.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
If you do not want to continue bashed, even if it is in a comedic way, you should just post somewhere else, or visit another site (for now). There are other threads than this one.

Where would we be without the facepalm pics? We would be abusing the 'FAIL' pics. *shrugs*

Reaver197

Smash Lord
of course reaver197-- I like the way you are trying to deal with this properly, but you sounds arrogent; as if I rly am a n00b at smash. But I doubt any of us will ever play, so why dont you just lackadaisically, leave the thread.
I never implied anything about your knowledge or level of skill. If you think I did, that would simply be you're own possible insecurities about it. However, that being said, one can't really claim that they're not a newb, they have to prove it and proof is lacking.

starL33T

Smash Cadet
again, too much time spent on the computer, not having a life, anyone who says no johns should just leave right now, and want some debatable points?
1-is it not competitive players who turn all items off?
2- is it not a thread based loosley around the word competitive?
3- is it not the competitive players who vie to find "techniques"?
4- is it not the competitive player who have a selection of 6 (holy crap, thats huge) stages to select from?
5- and is it not the competitive players who write up their silly tier lists? Tier lists don't help anyone, so dont bother, everyone play who you wanna play and who u are good with, u aint pro just coz u use high tier.

I hope this sparks some flourishing and opinion free debate for you all, as you requested, and I hope everyone agrees with smoothcriminal and ankoku.
and Im sorry scar for creating this stain on your thread, all I did was voice my view, and look what a ruckus i've created. Im so sorry. I'll take my leave from this boring and monotonous contradiction for a while.
I have no affiliation yuno, he has no part in this thread, as of yet.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
heh

Of the many boards I frequent, the general reply to my posts are usually the same:

something along the lines of....

Melee was a broken game that forced people to abuse un-scripted ATs the game into their matches.
Melee wasn't a balanced game.
In Melee, everyone used the same characters.
Brawl got rid of all the "glitches" in Melee.
Brawl is a better game.
You are the only person I have ever heard that thinks Melee is a more competitive game.
and so on.

~

Now, I like Brawl. I think it's a fun game to play with friends. I don't think it's good for people that want to test their skills against other people though. Not if you have Melee readily available.

Also, I find Brawl to be somewhat boring if I'm forced to play a one vs. one match. I was playing with my friend, and after a couple of rounds we both were drained with Brawl. We popped in Melee, and experienced hours of good times and much more enjoyable 1v1 matches. Take that how you will.

I do think Brawl is a better game if there is a large group of friends (4 would suffice) that have hours to spend getting their laugh on and what have you.

~~

i will say this. I played Melee for fun. I did go to some early tournaments and faired fairly well. I knew of wavedashing, but after hearing about it, I felt I was content with my skills in Melee, and all my friends were on par with me skillwise. There was no point for me to learn these so called AT moves, so I skipped that stuff.

I hear in Brawl they remove these, and I get somewhat happy upon the news.

"Hey, without L-cancels and all that mess, I should be in the prime of my game. Brawl should be great!"

That's how I came into thinking about Brawl. And for the first couple of weeks, I was happy with the game. No, I don't own a Wii, so I played it sparingly to boot.

Tripping.

What were they thinking? This alone makes this game based on luck. Though I have heard that there are ways to avoid it altogether, I can't really explore further for obvious reasons. Just no.

Over time the "shiny new game' aspect of Brawl left me. I can play both games just fine, and while I won't ever declare myself a pro in either game, I enjoy to play against a wide group of people. (as long as money isn't involved.)

Before I end this post, instead of making more of a rant, I'll just make a list of things that irk me about Brawl. Those being: floatiness, lack of combos, the "balanced" issue this game supposedly supports, the fact that everyone can make it back on stage pretty much all the time, sensative controls, wall jumping (how stupidy easy it is now), the fact that while wavedashing and that sort was removed, infinite chain grabs still remain. (w to the t to the f?)

Anyways, this Scar is signing off.

Holla~

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I agree with some of the things he says, but the tier thing is just an issue of apathy. The information is there, why ignore it?

1-I play with many players who prefer to play sans items as it is not difficult to recognize the random-factor introduced.
2-Yes it is, why do you ask?
3-Competitive players seek to improve their performance, and techniques are the physical manifestations of this.
4-This is an awful generalization. 6 neutrals, and then many more counter picks, not to mention many tournaments allow banned stages if both players agree upon them.
5-Tier lists are not law. And the reason many people tend to use the top tier characters, is because the top tier characters are those who have proven to be the best, based upon tournament results and statistics. People are able to choose to use characters for a large number of reasons, but competitively, it often leads to whose playstyle you feel most comfortable with in a tournament match. Fox and the like simply are faster, have stronger moves, and less lag, sop it is natural that people favor them, use them more in tournaments, win more, and in turn, they end up atop the tier lists.

Anyone who says "why bother" in such a context is simply too apathetic or lazy to care. And if you honestly don't care about tiers, then that is your prerogative. I bear no ill will towards you starL33T, this was all for the sake of debate.

-good post scar

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
I was looking back at some of the pages previusly and I just wanted to say one thing....

The facepalm of Ironhide is both glorious and magnanimous.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I don't think has been pointed out yet, and figured it needed to be.

"Nintendo's Best in 4-Player Action" Huh, I wonder why Brawl doesn't say that...

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
There's a fundamental thing you're missing here. People can play with/without items, with/without the fun, zany stages (and to make it clear, the six stages are only the NEUTRAL, RANDOM stages that every match starts with. After the first match, the stage choices go up to around 20), and they can play with/without any techniques they like, nobody is going to make fun of them for their playstyle habits. What makes people scrubs is that they feel that their playstyle is better than everyone else's and that the standard playstyle, which everyone in the competitive circuit accepts without complaints, signifies elitism.

This is where you come in. You come and bash every one of us for playing with the standard mode of play when it is in fact you that thinks that your playstyle is better than everyone else's. Not one person in this board intruded into a casual Smash room where they have their own certain playstyle, items/stages/techniques or not, and lashes out in anger about how the competitive circuit playstyle is better than yours. You assume that we sit in front of our computers and have no lives, and yet it is you that logged in at 3:20 in the morning and posted your BS about our lifestyles.

I'm going to make this very, very clear: you, not anyone else in this room, but YOU, are an arrogant, self-centered nobody that tried to enter this discussion and bash the playstyle we have all been using for years. It is you that thinks our rebuttal posts are examples of trolling and should result in a ban when all we are doing is pointing out your arrogance and mispellings. It is obvious to everyone that you are self-absorbed because you automatically assume that your spelling is better than another person's, although you haven't a slightest clue about that person's education, and that you are CLEARLY trying to push out everyone's opinion and make your opinion alone stand out. You are a scrub, you are arrogant, and you care about yourself and your opinions more than anything else, no matter if they're correct or just complete B.S.

By the way, the wall of facepalms is an epic collage built like none other. We're wasting YOUR valuable monitor space? Well this is how much I care about that:

Stfu.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Before I end this post, instead of making more of a rant, I'll just make a list of things that irk me about Brawl. Those being: floatiness, lack of combos, the "balanced" issue this game supposedly supports, the fact that everyone can make it back on stage pretty much all the time, sensative controls, wall jumping (how stupidy easy it is now), the fact that while wavedashing and that sort was removed, infinite chain grabs still remain. (w to the t to the f?)
Looking at Brawl from the standpoint of "it's a game", I actually like all those things you mentioned barring the chaingrabs remaining (the infinite ones, anyways... the temporary ones like Pikachu and Falco aren't unlike Shiek's in Melee) and possibly the "balance" thing, since I'm not entirely sure what you mean by it...

Floatiness makes characters survive better, which is nice. Much like in anime, fights that last a while tend to feel more dramatic (or at least I think so...). Lack of hitstun and lengthy combos make it more realistic. I realize we're talking about a game that includes a fat magical plumber and a blue insectavore, but if you were to get into a fight in real life, a single punch won't render an opponent unable to react for long enough for you to repeatedly smack them around. Sensative controls help improve one's precision skills. And wall jumping adds more to the strategy in fights (as you will hear by asking any Lucario main).

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^In anime, fights tend to be flashy, epic, and filled with moments of 1 getting the upper hand (comboing). Brawl has little to none of that. The battles aren't more dramatic. They're just long and mostly boring.

And don't use that "in real life" crap. Brawl is far from RL. And who would want a realistic Smash game?

EDIT: Nice 1 Clai! I wonder if starl33t will return after that.

gantrain05

Smash Master
^In anime, fights tend to be flashy, epic, and filled with moments of 1 getting the upper hand (comboing). Brawl has little to none of that. The battles aren't more dramatic. They're just long and mostly boring.

And don't use that "in real life" crap. Brawl is far from RL. And who would want a realistic Smash game?

EDIT: Nice 1 Clai! I wonder if starl33t will return after that.
no, i think your thinking of DBZ, i can't think of any GOOD anime that does that lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
but if you were to get into a fight in real life, a single punch won't render an opponent unable to react for long enough for you to repeatedly smack them around.
In real life, hitstun is better known as pain.

If you were fighting in real life, you wouldn't take a punch to the gut and respond immediately by decking the other guy in the face - you'd double over because you just got punched in the gut.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
There is no strategy involved when you wall jump on accident. They changed it from being a semi-hard thing to do in Melee (or at least something you want to do) to something that happens far too often when you aren't trying to do it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
CoreyGames-- You’re a flipping ****,
Is that like a bi-sexual ******?
I was in a hurry to write so I made some mistakes, so the F*** what, does that make my post any less valid? NO.
Not really, but it helps if we know what you are talking about... and makes me not cringe every other word and get distracted.
Second of all, Does it also mean that anyone who happened to join SWF this year's points or ideas any less valid, answer no,
Answer: Yes
If you haven't been here that long, then you don't have the networking and experience the rest of us have. While all you know are rumors and gossip, we KNOW what stuff is and have been here researching it. So yes, being new makes you less valid. Would you want to have surgery done on your heart from a person who has studied open heart surgery for 5 months and never actually done it, or someone who has been doing it for 2 years with hands-on experience? Yeah, I know which one you would chose too. It's called a professional opinion, not some made up crap that people like you like to pull out of their ***** and present it like it's worth a thing or two.
and as I reckon you got melee before 64, and never heard of 64 until melee was a really big hit I can tell coz U joined in 2006.
The small problem with that is there was no SWF for 64, and I did play 64 long before the GC even came out. However, I bet you never played melee competitively, let alone went to a tournament. Is that an assumption? Yes, but what in my original post was? That you were an 08 guy? Well, it seems I was found right about that, and the generalizations, grammar, spelling, and lack or experience. So I don't think I made any assumptions there bucko.
See, I can make stupid assumptions as well. In fact I bet I know a whole lot more about all 3 smash games, and in fact life that you do, so STFU, and get job.
I doubt you would even hardly come close. That is, unless you are Ken trolling the boards with a Roy account.
coreygames-- (again)
completely necessary :D
I’m Not a newcomer to the boards, I was a visitor to the boards for a very long time, and only bothered to become a member recently,
I'm sure. Because we all know that everyone does that. They lurk here for 5 years and then join up just as Brawl comes out. Oh wait...
and just coz i don’t waste my time in front of a computer screen day in day out, posting dumb crap on SWF, DOESNT mean I know nothing about smash.
Absolutely. Me too!
Everything I write or say, is my OWN opinion,
Noted: OPINION, not fact. Gotchya!
i have no reason to waste my time, expressing other's opinions, and get burnt for it.
Except when you make wide spread generalizations on the competitive community. That's got to be little bit of someone else ;)
Samochan-- I'll be happy to keep this up, as long as kids like Coreygames is acting like a God, proud as hell, and understands that I know a fair bit about what I'm talking about, and if we were al punished for having some bad spelling or grammar over the internet, then we'll all be dead.
I'm a mean kid aren't I? I'm just bullying you around like that fat kid on the playground? Aw, well, maybe if you didn't spit in people's faces, they wouldn't throw dirt in your eyes, figuratively speaking. I'm sure if you did actually spit in my face, I would have to kick your ***.
About the spelling, FireFox. Built in spell check for everything. And for the grammar... that place called school should be plenty enough for that.
No, I would have done it right the first time, or at least double checked it afterward and swiftly edited it. MSWord isn't necessary for this line of work.

AlexX

Smash Ace
In real life, hitstun is better known as pain.

If you were fighting in real life, you wouldn't take a punch to the gut and respond immediately by decking the other guy in the face - you'd double over because you just got punched in the gut.
For a random person like you or me, that's the case. However, for experienced martial arts fighters (which applies here since all Brawl combatants fight at least a decent amount in their games), they can take hits a lot better since they either know how to deal with or can resist the pain better.

You're thinking too much of those anime where the characters either pull out magic attacks out from their rear ends or pilot a giant robot. Watch one that uses real life physics and you'll see what I mean.

My point was that the physics make sense. As I said, I'm aware we're talking about a game with anthropomorphic animals from outer space and magical girls, but people still generally like it when the things they can do in a game make sense to them.

Answer: Yes
If you haven't been here that long, then you don't have the networking and experience the rest of us have.
You're working under the assumption that anyone new has had no experience with competative Smash before joining. I admit I did not really lurk here for a while before joining (just long enough to get an idea of the comminuty, which only takes a few days at most), but I was still part of the Melee competative community long before now and simply got my information from elsewhere.

That said, if you were to use the fact I did not do impressively in any major tournament as a reason for arguing against my credability, that would work because I admit I haven't done anything particularly noteworthy, even after the transition to Brawl. However, I'm not really trying to argue which game is better competatively (I'm mostly just here to argue against random points on/against either side...), so my points might or might not matter too strongly in the first place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom