• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Oh the moderators are going to kill you all, but I'm going to die from laughter.

Anyway, so I played Brawl today and played as Pit. I sat on the side and shot arrows and then went in for the kill when they went over 100%. I did this every time. It didn't take long for the casuals to disperse and then we played Melee.

Can I use this example of the competitive-ness of Brawl? It's no fun to lose in it; at least people stuck around when I beat them in Melee.

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
OP sums it up very well. Ill make 2 points:

1. I go to a brawl/melee tournament now and there are 50 fanboys playing brawl and then there isnt even enough entrants to run the melee tournament.

2. There is no edgegaurding in brawl. One of if not the defining factor of a smash game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh the moderators are going to kill you all, but I'm going to die from laughter.
As will I.

Anyway, so I played Brawl today and played as Pit. I sat on the side and shot arrows and then went in for the kill when they went over 100%. I did this every time. It didn't take long for the casuals to disperse and then we played Melee.

Can I use this example of the competitive-ness of Brawl? It's no fun to lose in it; at least people stuck around when I beat them in Melee.
No.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Even a casual should know how to get past the gayness of camping.
Frankly they were scrubs.
No.
You're applying casual gameplay to competitive gameplay which you know should not be done
Frankly if I was playing you I would have punished you harshly for it.

Otherwise if you apply casual behavior to competitive play, you'll basically be doing the equivalent, of saying Bowser is as competitively viable as Marth was in melee.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
...Smash Bros has changed...

The last known excerpts of Captain Falcon's last moments before forever sealing himself into The Tomb of Bottom Tier...

"Smash Bros.. has changed...
It's no longer about combos, wavedashing, or hitstun.
It's an endless series of camping battles
Fought by Ike's and ROB's..

Smash Bros, and its consumption of speed
has become a slowed-down machine

Smash Bros has changed.
ID-tagged tourneygoers use ID-tagged wavebirds
Use ID-tagged characters

Mountain Dew inside their bodies, enhances and regulates their abilities
Aerial control, Attack control, Directional Influence Control, Battlefield control
Everything is monitored and kept under control

Smash Bros has changed.
The age of offensive play has become the age of camping
All in the name of someone beating Snake at his game
And he who controls the Battlefield, controls the match

Smash Bros has changed.
When the match is under total control
Battles becomes routine.

Smash Bros has changed.

Stolen from this guy:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=44167597

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
^ Is that sarcasm? I can't tell. I hope it's sarcasm >_>
It isn't sarcasm, it is the truth. In Brawl, you can cancel all moves with downward momentum, therefore there are no spikes in Brawl. They are all meteors.

Are really any people here that don't know how to meteor cancel in Brawl?

Fletch

Smash Master
...Smash Bros has changed...

The last known excerpts of Captain Falcon's last moments before forever sealing himself into The Tomb of Bottom Tier...

"Smash Bros.. has changed...
It's no longer about combos, wavedashing, or hitstun.
It's an endless series of camping battles
Fought by Ike's and ROB's..

Smash Bros, and its consumption of speed
has become a slowed-down machine

Smash Bros has changed.
ID-tagged tourneygoers use ID-tagged wavebirds
Use ID-tagged characters

Mountain Dew inside their bodies, enhances and regulates their abilities
Aerial control, Attack control, Directional Influence Control, Battlefield control
Everything is monitored and kept under control

Smash Bros has changed.
The age of offensive play has become the age of camping
All in the name of someone beating Snake at his game
And he who controls the Battlefield, controls the match

Smash Bros has changed.
When the match is under total control
Battles becomes routine.

Smash Bros has changed.

Stolen from this guy:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=44167597
When I think of camping, Ike doesn't exactly come to mind.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
It isn't sarcasm, it is the truth. In Brawl, you can cancel all moves with downward momentum, therefore there are no spikes in Brawl. They are all meteors.

Are really any people here that don't know how to meteor cancel in Brawl?
I'm going to call sarcasm on this as well. I do remember the resemblance of a thread that said that you can jump and use your Up+B in half the amount of frames as any other movement after a "meteor smash," but I have not seen anything near a useful application to this. Even in Yuna's dumb thread about calling it all meteor smashes, one person, one person in seven pages attempted to actually prove the fact that meteor smashes are cancellable true. Everyone else was either picking apart the language or peen-riding Yuna and accepting it as fact without any discernable proof what-so-ever.

Melee's meteor canceling was an actual cancel. You can see the spike recipient jump immediately after the spike, and you can even see the jump ripples proving that it was a true meteor cancel. This can be done over and over again with unflawed accuracy. I have not seen or heard anything close to this in Brawl. When you get spiked, you get *****, or at the very least, make some futile attempt to recover before you go down (ROB defies all logic regarding recoveries).

This statement is almost as bad as "Snakes everywhere are perfecting the Wall of Manliness." *sigh*

Corigames

Smash Hero
You aren't canceling anything. You are breaking out of "hitstun" at the normal time you could before. You are just jumping instead of falling for the next couple of inches to a halt. What you guys are saying is that jumping after getting hit by Marth's Dair in Melee was a meteor cancel! It wasn't. and don't take me to the thread with all the frame data and such. I was already flamed out of there by a hundred 08'ers crying about how I was bashing Brawl.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd like to know if the spikes in Smash 64 were called spikes or meteors. If they were called spikes, then yeah, everything's a spike now. If they were called meteors, then all they did was remove meteor canceling and the correct terminology is still meteor.

Of course, I should probably not trust official terminology. Who uses terms like "ukemi" and "perfect shield" anyway?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'd like to know if the spikes in Smash 64 were called spikes or meteors. If they were called spikes, then yeah, everything's a spike now. If they were called meteors, then all they did was remove meteor canceling and the correct terminology is still meteor.

Of course, I should probably not trust official terminology. Who uses terms like "ukemi" and "perfect shield" anyway?
Well, we sure call/called them spikes =P

(we being the dudes in the ssb64 forums)

meteor is way too unwieldy.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
The spikes in 64 were godly. Super fast, and strong. And almost everybody had one >.>
But then they were nerfed, and nintendo game them the official name meteor. We then sperated spikes in to meteors and spikes. Now, i think theyre both

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I thought there were just Meteors, True Spikes, and Pseudo Spikes.

And I'm not sure because I've never been hit immediately after a meteor cancel, but I vaguely remember meteor canceling with Jiggs, and she had the same sort of "glow" your character gets that indicate invincibility frames. Are there invincibility frames or does it jsut signify a meteorcancel, because I truly do not remember, nor do I care enough to go check.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Brawl will evolve gradually and likely become more competitive than it is so far.
Or it could remain the party game that it was intended to be. There hasn't really been any promising developments of its metagame; an "evolution" if you will.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Brawl isn't going to change. What you see now in the competitive scene will pretty much go unchanged (with the possible exception of it getting gayer) and will eventually die and everyone will go back to Melee and live happily ever after. The End.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Brawl isn't going to change. What you see now in the competitive scene will pretty much go unchanged (with the possible exception of it getting gayer) and will eventually die and everyone will go back to Melee and live happily ever after. The End.
I think I'm falling in love with this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom