• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Evidently, within the first 24 hours of picking it up, I was doing "impossible" guard breaks. I guess you aren't suppose to do it from the air or something. I don't know, the people I was trying to play with lost interest when I started playing, so it didn't get very far.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
>___>

Don't feel bad, D20. I've picked up WoW too.

And guys? Melee forever. <3

Next time GA hosts a huge Melee tourney, ya'll better come to it.

Smooth Criminal

Corigames

Smash Hero
Can someone give me a lift? Like... can we plane pool or something? I would love to go to GA to play melee with everyone there. I would wear a huge sign over my head with my sig. in it so that people know who I am (Evidently, I've made a lot of Internet friends/enemies).

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Credit goes to Cort for inspiring me to use the movie avatar + location combo.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, Rhode Island has very few smashers to begin with. I think there's 3 to 5 of us tournament regulars who believe Melee > Brawl.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I have a friend up in Rhode Island desperately looking for some people to play Melee with. Is there any sort of regular gathering he might be able to join up in?

Skler

Smash Master
The key is meeting KevinM. Once you've met him you'll always want to be at smash tournies.

Edit: I mean Melee whenever I saw smash, and Brawl whenever I say Brawl or super camp fest 2008

Fletch

Smash Master
The key is meeting KevinM. Once you've met him you'll always want to be at smash tournies.

Edit: I mean Melee whenever I saw smash, and Brawl whenever I say Brawl or super camp fest 2008
Laughed too hard about this, as it reminded me of that picture that someone posted a while back of someone holding a pistol outside a tent with the logo "Super Camp Brothers Brawl". Can anyone link me to that picture? I forgot who posted it... I think it's somewhere in this way too big thread.

DARKALONDITE

Smash Apprentice
I've played both games extensively, and though I love Brawl more than melee and I play Brawl more than melee I understand what you mean. In Melee, I could go against my friends and my sister and everyone could see that I could very much easily defeat them and it was clearly easy to see who was the best. Brawl, however, is set up so as to appeal more to a wider variety of people. While this is a good thing, it ended up completly alienating the competitive community so here is where we end up with this debate along with how if you play a person that's bad at the game, they'll get a few good shots off of you while a person that was good at melee would utterly slaughter, maim, and own a person that was bad. Finally, yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but what I'm trying to say is that Brawl is very much less competitive because the game has been made to accomadate a more casual audience than a "hardcore-competitive" community.

Fletch

Smash Master
I've played both games extensively, and though I love Brawl more than melee and I play Brawl more than melee I understand what you mean. In Melee, I could go against my friends and my sister and everyone could see that I could very much easily defeat them and it was clearly easy to see who was the best. Brawl, however, is set up so as to appeal more to a wider variety of people. While this is a good thing, it ended up completly alienating the competitive community so here is where we end up with this debate along with how if you play a person that's bad at the game, they'll get a few good shots off of you while a person that was good at melee would utterly slaughter, maim, and own a person that was bad. Finally, yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but what I'm trying to say is that Brawl is very much less competitive because the game has been made to accomadate a more casual audience than a "hardcore-competitive" community.
I love when pro-Brawl players come in and recognize this. It's so much better than those who argue that Brawl is completely balanced and destined to be the best competitive game ever.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone thinks it will be the best. That's a wrong opinion. Yeah, I said it, that opinion would be wrong >_>

I just wish that both could exist.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Though not the best, perhaps the biggest competitive scene ever. Brawl is like the Wii's version of Tetris - maybe not the best game for competing, but insanely popular none the less.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Laughed too hard about this, as it reminded me of that picture that someone posted a while back of someone holding a pistol outside a tent with the logo "Super Camp Brothers Brawl". Can anyone link me to that picture? I forgot who posted it... I think it's somewhere in this way too big thread.
Holy cow. I remember that image. I'll find it.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Norwegian Sand Spout's sig:
I hate that argument. There are no meteor smashes in Brawl, they are all spikes or nothing at all. There were spikes and meteors in Melee, so we called them spikes or meteors. In Brawl, there are only spikes, so we should only call them spikes. End Of Story

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
I hate that argument. There are no meteor smashes in Brawl, they are all spikes or nothing at all. There were spikes and meteors in Melee, so we called them spikes or meteors. In Brawl, there are only spikes, so we should only call them spikes. End Of Story
actually you have it backwards, spikes are meteor smash, but they are non canccelble (spelling is bad hahah) meteor smashes, so the term "spike" was used instead, meteor smash is the official name but nintendo, spikes where just called that instead of the other name (easier).

I just put it there because I thought taken out of context, that bit sounds hilarious.lolz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom