• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
anyone who is actually good at melee quickly finds that brawl destroys almost all of the skills you'd worked to attain.

it's pretty much impossible to play both games.

Isn't that kind of like saying that continuing in Final Fantasy is a waste because your practiced timing for extra hits (7), metagaming in the card games, learning strategies, etc.

are worthless because they are no longer useful?

Why does it matter? I'm just confused.

Why does it matter what Melee is in comparison to brawl?

They are two different games.
They will both have tournaments.

Why is it "pretty much impossible to play both games"?

There has never been another fighting game with mechanic changes?

If I start to learn Tekken, should I never learn SF because my already-attained-tekken-skills will be useless in SF?

What does anything in melee have to do with anything in brawl?

You either like the game or you don't.
You will play it or you won't.
You will enter tournament or you won't.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it was a response to somebody saying "why cant we play both"

and it's not that brawl skills are a 'waste' it's that they literally sap away at your melee skills. having an airdodge instinct or a hugging instinct is extremely bad for your melee play, and also your ability to do ANYTHING 'quickly' goes away because of the pace of brawl.

you have to practice A LOT to get yourself back up to par with melee.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Ah. I thought you were responding to my post saying that each game will naturally progress as it will.

However, I can see how having natural reflexes and tendencies will have a negative impact on game play. (I still try to L-cancel in Brawl.) This is just like switching between any other two games. If you practice with both equally, it'll be easier to switch between them.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The big problem is that Brawl and Melee are kind of similar, but the way you have to play them gets very different. You'll develop habits from one game that will punish you horridly in the other.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Like missing the spacing of aerials when playing the same character in both games. Try to tip attacks with Marth in brawl, then immediately go play melee. You'll find it's actually quite dificult to get your sense of spacing back. That and I kept missing sweetspots when recoverying in melee (curse you auto sweetspot.)

Samochan

Smash Master

and it's not that brawl skills are a 'waste' it's that they literally sap away at your melee skills. having an airdodge instinct or a hugging instinct is extremely bad for your melee play, and also your ability to do ANYTHING 'quickly' goes away because of the pace of brawl.

Rawr, the problem is fixed if you just play melee som moar. >_> I can play both just fine, easy switch in between games. I don't even try to jc grab anymore on brawl, yet I can immediately do all my stuff on melee. So no johns gimpy. ^^

Samochan

Smash Master
Like I said, as long as you continue to play both games, you should be able to play both of them interchangeably.
Ditto dat. People like gimpy just phail cause they left melee for a long while and now need to practice hard to regain their skill. :p I mean, how hard it's to play both games when they can be played on same console? >_>

/teasing

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master

The big problem is that Brawl and Melee are kind of similar, but the way you have to play them gets very different. You'll develop habits from one game that will punish you horridly in the other.
This is very true. Brawl has permanently hampered my Melee gameplay. I don't think I can or will ever play competitive Melee again. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm just so much worse at it now. I've developed habits that really hurt me in Melee, and you can't just quit doing them cold turkey

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Melee hampered my Brawl skills lol...When I first started playing Brawl, I was missing everyone of my attacks by like an inch...I went to training mode and spent liek 5 hours walking around tipper fsmashing everything, so i could get use to marth's range...took forever to get used to it

Chexr

Smash Ace
I play brawl the same way I played melee. Spacing and metagame. Playing brawl seems to actually have made my melee skills better because its so much fun I'm concentrating a lot more.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I find Melee impossible to get used to in the air so I only really take off the ground to shffl when I practice, because I'll start airdodging like a moron and getting pimpslapped for it as I fall like a hammer to the ground. x.x

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
@ 56K

"This is very true. Brawl has permanently hampered my Melee gameplay. I don't think I can or will ever play competitive Melee again. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm just so much worse at it now. I've developed habits that really hurt me in Melee, and you can't just quit doing them cold turkey"

LOL....like you were ever at that level anyway

Go play some more brawl, have fun dumbing your reflexes and applying the sole strategy that works

****ing Minnesotans

XERAMPELINAE

Smash Apprentice
And then you say that with no evidence!
Oh, God. I'm not explaining myself again.

The problem with pulling off combos against people without using ATs is that the people you are trying to combo are using ATs to break out of it. If you don't quicken your lag, better your spacing, etc. you are not going to be very successful, and what's wrong with that? Why should someone who has practiced for days, weeks, or months not do well against someone who hasn't? That's not right!
Was that your attempt to answer the question I wrote? By the way, have you ever heard of red herring?

And combos weren't the depth of melee. It was to be as mobile as possible. You die if you stand still. You get JC grabbed if you just sit in shield. You have to move. Your movement mixed with your spacing, timing, etc. provided you with an arsenal of mindgames, combos, and tactics to employ against your foe. If you weren't fast, didn't watch your spacing, or used moves with lots of lag or weren't L-Canceling, then you got punished, AS YOU SHOULD HAVE!

I don't think I comboed that many people. I played Samus, I PMC on many stages and SWD when I could into a quick jab. I used her excellent WD to keep myself moving around along with her nice Dash Dance. By staying mobile, I could stay away from moves. Then, I could counter my enemies' moves when they misjudged their spacing.
So many people argue that Melee's depth is about AT's, others that it is comboing... Now you are saying that it is mobility. This is but another perspective. But you also mention the crucial need of AT's to achive spacing and avoid/inflict punishment.

So, I argue that since it is the case that Brawl already has quite a list of ATs which allow good spacing, and a game of punishment does exist, then it must be that Brawl does have the potential of a whole new level of gameplay.

Now here you are saying that the best part, or highest ability, in Melee was to jump on a great character and replay some combos you had stored away in your hole-o-melee. That's BS.
What? Please x 100. Don't, don't, don't.... alter what I write in these boards. You can quote for that matter. What you have just written up there-- that is BS.

You never played melee competitively. What next, are you going to tell me that you can beat me with Fox? I won a couple tournaments with Samus, you want to say I'm lying?
I beg your pardon? Who are you? What did you read or see that makes you conclude that I have never played Melee competitively? Do you just assume I have not played Melee because I am in favor of Brawl? I've been a member of a Smash Brothers group since the Melee early days. I've organized seven tournaments and have attended several state/local and foreign Melee tournaments. Good for you for winning with Samus, but what does that have to do with me not ever playing Melee?

Go play melee and then come back and comment on it. It's very dumb of you to complain about a game you haven't played.
You know, coreygames, I've read quite a few of your posts here and there, and I never expected this kind of post from you. It is simply one of the most idiotic posts I've ever seen.

This thread was primarily made to stop people from saying exactly what you said right here. "What does competitive really mean?" It is my opinion that what you're talking about is the amount of competition available in both Brawl and Melee. This debate, however, centers around which game is more competitive.
Remember that opinion does not equal knowledge;) Don't apply your opinion as an absolute definition of what determines competitive for Smash Brothers. People who argue in favor of Brawl as a competitive game will obviesly not grasp on your personal opinion/definition of "competitive."

Massive combos aren't the depth of Melee, massive combos are just this: If one player makes a bad mistake, they are very vulnerable and will be punished. If the other player is very good at the game and executes very well, he will be able to perform a massive combo.

This is perfect because it shows that the first person made a mistake and the second person is good at the game. Brawl has no such mechanic to punish mistakes and reward actual skill.
You summarized combos but did not answer my question. You also cannot simply argue that Brawl does not have a mechanic to punish. It is clearly present in Brawl, however true to the Brawl standards (I cannot stress enough that Brawl's unique set of standards must be respected.)

Also, combos in general cannot be performed in Brawl. Utilt>utilt>utilt at 0% works a lot, but something as standard as Captain Falcon's fB to an aerial is a viable combo at any percent in Melee, but nearly never works in Brawl, even at 0%, even with uair, CF's fastest aerial..
I am sorry, Scar, but your evidence for your strict conclusion of "...combos in general cannot be performed in Brawl" is just not good. I simply cannot accept or consider that argument.

This has unfortunately been 80% of the evidence for why Brawl is going to be a good competitive fighting game.
Yes, and, unfortunately, 80% of the evidence in support for Brawl is not a competitive game tend to be bad or completely off-topic with the conclusion.

As much as I’d like to be up for a good debate, the environment of this thread simply doesn’t allow me to do so. Just look at the following quote:

...Oh and according to Xerampelinae's logic, the biggest "competitive game" would be the lottery! Cuz OMGZORZ there's SOOOO many people trying to win that it's the greatest competitive game evar!!! OMG LOLZZ!!!!!11

Seriously. I would just be contributing to circle of bad argumentation and no accepting. As much as I’m I’d like to encourage a better development of Brawl, I can’t practice these sort of posts in this thread.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
@ 56K

"This is very true. Brawl has permanently hampered my Melee gameplay. I don't think I can or will ever play competitive Melee again. Not because I don't want to, but because I'm just so much worse at it now. I've developed habits that really hurt me in Melee, and you can't just quit doing them cold turkey"

LOL....like you were ever at that level anyway

Go play some more brawl, have fun dumbing your reflexes and applying the sole strategy that works

****ing Minnesotans
lrn2quote

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
..... did.... you.... call.... kara.... useless?

I am taking everything you've said out of context and deriving that you know nothing about 3rd Strike. I challenge you to a 10,000$ bout of melee and 3s each.
Anything in third strike loses its use if you do it in a pattern or more than a few times a match. If you knee with mak alot, people will start expecting kara's and not fall for jack.

manalord actually come to ggpo test, it has lagless third strike that even pro's approve of, if you're in europe at least alongside me. PM me when you're on there and I'll be online sometime if I can be bothered.

You can of course come to london and I'd accept your moneymatch, but only for 3S. We can duel on a lovely, nice, big plasma screen as I karakusa -> fierce -> ex hayate you ALL DAY. >_> But I don't have 10,000 and its ridicolous to bet that much on a game. (Note, its more that I don't know your abilities. I give anyone I don't know yet the benefit of a doubt, though I'm sure I haven't heard of you ever.) 50£ or so though, sure, go ahead. I'm short on cash as I've just moved in with a roomie and haven't got a job at the moment. If you can wait a few months I might have alot more to bet. Er. Steal from you I mean

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
...****, I forgot I posted the first of the 3 times. Uh, no delete button here?

edit - I hope he accepts my third strike challenge! I'm really not sure I can win, but I think I'll give it a try! maybe if I lose the first 50£, we can bet 300£ the next and then see how it goes with more money to entice me!

He sounds pretty good at third strike though, and incredibly fearsome. I'm not too good with Makoto, honestly. There is no way I'd karakusa him him into a fierce into a super art, because thats for noobs, pretty much. I'm more into SA3 lately, what with all the health wiping two in ones. Little risk involved but, hell is the reward big!

Hows about it manalord? Who do you main? Not for matchup research or anything silly but I'm genuinly curious. It'd be nice to fight someone who also finds Smash Bros a good game. Also good pal good chap; forgive my triple post. silly me.

What else would you like while we're discussing this gracious subject?

Tea? Biscuits?

Oh, a link to an adaptor for ps2 to usb and a ms lag killing program so we could play on ggpo, and a cheap ebay link to a moderately used VSHG stick?

Right away good sir~! <3<3 and I don't know where you got the idea I knew anything about SF3 third strike. I'M TOTALLY HARMLESS FOR GODS SAKE

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
JOKING JOKING

Seems you already knew that though, seeing as your reaction wasn't all that severe. Not the response I was hoping for.........<sigh>

Used to play with y'all Minnesotans back when I was working in Wisconsin.
I did try and quote via the "QUOTE" button, however for some reason the browser was ****ing up big time.

I'm not sure I remember you correctly, but you played with Eddie in the Fugghedaboutit 2 tourney >>>???

Ignore list ? ------PSHHH this is but a single prof
Stoo bad you ain't a moderator, eh

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Yeah I knew you were joking

I just wanted to see your reaction

Yeah I played Eddie
Tink, too. I got *****.

I played Wario dittos with Tink at TGS1 (He won going all-Wario), those matches were too good

arrowhead

Smash Ace
So many people argue that Melee's depth is about AT's, others that it is comboing... Now you are saying that it is mobility. This is but another perspective. But you also mention the crucial need of AT's to achive spacing and avoid/inflict punishment.
it's mobility. comboing is a result from good mobility. AT's are important, but we're not complaining about that much because brawl's AT's aren't too much different from melee's

So, I argue that since it is the case that Brawl already has quite a list of ATs which allow good spacing, and a game of punishment does exist, then it must be that Brawl does have the potential of a whole new level of gameplay.
this is just incorrect.

I beg your pardon? Who are you? What did you read or see that makes you conclude that I have never played Melee competitively? Do you just assume I have not played Melee because I am in favor of Brawl?
no, it would be your ignorance

Remember that opinion does not equal knowledge;) Don't apply your opinion as an absolute definition of what determines competitive for Smash Brothers. People who argue in favor of Brawl as a competitive game will obviesly not grasp on your personal opinion/definition of "competitive."
some people's opinions are closer to fact than others, namely the more knowledgeable/skilled players

You summarized combos but did not answer my question. You also cannot simply argue that Brawl does not have a mechanic to punish. It is clearly present in Brawl, however true to the Brawl standards (I cannot stress enough that Brawl's unique set of standards must be respected.)
you are right. you get punished for approaching. horray for camping!

I am sorry, Scar, but your evidence for your strict conclusion of "...combos in general cannot be performed in Brawl" is just not good. I simply cannot accept or consider that argument.
you must consider two hits in a row a combo then

Yes, and, unfortunately, 80% of the evidence in support for Brawl is not a competitive game tend to be bad or completely off-topic with the conclusion.
in your opinion

As much as I’d like to be up for a good debate, the environment of this thread simply doesn’t allow me to do so. Just look at the following quote:
that quote basically destroys the "more players = more competitive" argument

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
This thread was primarily made to stop people from saying exactly what you said right here. "What does competitive really mean?" It is my opinion that what you're talking about is the amount of competition available in both Brawl and Melee. This debate, however, centers around which game is more competitive.
At what point did this debate change to which game is more competitive. The opening post clearly uses the word, "competitiveness." Then you go on to define what you believe the word to mean, “The innate property that allows the best to win.” Now this leads to confusion as your title topic uses the word competitive and throughout this debate the two are thrown around.

Smash has always been a game that pits two or more players against each other. Thus each player competes to win. Since players are competing the game has competitive value. Now even brawl has competitions which means there are probably competitive players which also lends to the fact that people are competing and the game has competitive value.

Now competitiveness as defined by you is the innate property that allows the best to win. It is really quite simple. In fact we could possibly come up with ways to measure this. In fact if this is the topic then there have been arguments made by both sides as to why Brawl has or doesn't have competitiveness.

1. Brawl is to random
2. Good people are losing to of lesser skilled players due to broken tactics
3. Brawl doesn't punish poor play
4 Brawl punishes the aggressive and leaves us with a single lame tactic.

1, Randomness isn't that serious of an issue. Randomness doesn't affect the supposed optimum strategy.
2 Who is to say they were good in the first place. The best player no matter which strategy he/she utilized will not lose to a lesser player. The best will either perfect the best strategy or learn to beat it.
3. Brawl simply has a different punishment system. Enough mistakes where forced or accidental will still result in a loss.
4. It is a perfectly legit tactic that the best will learn to utilize and perfect. Thus they will continue winning.

So if this truly is about which game is more competitive or which will be more competitive then the whole debate is slightly different. Now we have to define competitive this is stated in the title. "What does competitive really mean?"

Well what does it really mean? If we aren't debating on the same meaning then we can't progress towards finding the answer.

Now I would like to point out that "competitive" is a adjective. With many adjectives, point of view and opinions can effect each person’s decision on the subject.

Now the dictionary gives a definition of competitive as “Of, involving, or determined by competition." Now I am not fond of any definition that uses another form of itself to describe itself. Also as stated earlier words are just combinations of letters in which we assign definition to depending on the situation. It would be ideal to create our own definition that we can all agree and will apply. I also believe that the already established definition will make a nice starting point in which to build.

So we continue on to find the mean of competition. We are given two helpful definition for competition.

1. The act of competing, as for profit or a prize (again we have to define another word in order to find what we are looking for).
2. A test of skill or ability; a contest:

Now I think both definition of competition are usable in this discussion however the second seems to be more relevant.

Finally we define to compete, to strive to outdo another for acknowledgment, a prize, supremacy, profit, etc.; engage in a contest.

There we have our foundation. Now the true question remains what does competitive really mean? Which game is more competitive if we can even find an answer for this.

Now several members have already kicked around some ideas that may aid in developing a clear definition.

1. A competitive game is one that has two or more people competing at it.
2. “Competitive value depends on how many people want to prove themselves in a certain area by competing.” XERAMPELINAE
3. Competitive value depends on the natural depth of the game.
4. Competitive value depends on the games ability to reward skill
5. Competitive value depends on fun
6 Competitive value depends on which game is better
7 Competitive value depends on balance
8 Competitive value depends on variety
9 Competitive value depends on options
10 Competitive value depends on punishment

Now some of those listed may seem silly but I didn’t want to exclude anything no matter how silly it seemed. So what is competitive and how would you define it?

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
I challenge anyone who prefers Brawl over Melee to make a compelling argument detailing Brawl's improvements upon Melee' s multiplayer mode, other than wifi capability.

Who actually has more fun playing Brawl than Melee ?? Or rather is having more fun playing Brawl now then they used to having played Melee in the early days, the tourney days, and now.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I challenge anyone who prefers Brawl over Melee to make a compelling argument detailing Brawl's improvements upon Melee' s multiplayer mode, other than wifi capability.

Who actually has more fun playing Brawl than Melee ?? Or rather is having more fun playing Brawl now then they used to having played Melee in the early days, the tourney days, and now.
Honestly, I do have a lot more fun playing Brawl than Melee.

Keep in mind that fun is subjective. Also when I say I have more fun I'm not saying Brawl is better or worse than Melee. This game is a lot more comical and I don't feel as stressed when playing it, even during high-stakes tournament matches. It just has a much less serious tone to it, but at the same time I feel like it doesn't disappoint when it comes to "competitiveness". It still gets tense at times, but I'm not angry after a big loss like in Melee.

I'm not trying to make a compelling argument about any improvements Brawl made over Melee. All I know is that somehow I enjoy playing this game a lot more than Melee.

I feel that it's useless to try to argue because each side will only focus on their positives and the other side's negatives. Because I like Brawl more, I know that my argument will be unnecessarily biased in favor of Brawl, and a biased argument is not a good argument at all.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Honestly, I do have a lot more fun playing Brawl than Melee.

Keep in mind that fun is subjective. Also when I say I have more fun I'm not saying Brawl is better or worse than Melee. This game is a lot more comical and I don't feel as stressed when playing it, even during high-stakes tournament matches. It just has a much less serious tone to it, but at the same time I feel like it doesn't disappoint when it comes to "competitiveness". It still gets tense at times, but I'm not angry after a big loss like in Melee.

I'm not trying to make a compelling argument about any improvements Brawl made over Melee. All I know is that somehow I enjoy playing this game a lot more than Melee.

I feel that it's useless to try to argue because each side will only focus on their positives and the other side's negatives. Because I like Brawl more, I know that my argument will be unnecessarily biased in favor of Brawl, and a biased argument is not a good argument at all.
Its interesting that you say Brawl is less serious then Melee cus even in tournament matches I don't take Melee that serious. If something stupid happens(Tech Chase Falcon Punch) i tend to high five my opponent and laugh about it. A game is only as serious as you make it.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
alphazealot's essay on brawl vs. melee is brilliant. every counterargument i read in the discussion forums was pathetic. they're both very fun games with plenty of depth.

curiousthoughtsbear

Smash Apprentice
Please link AZ's essay, heh I actually go to school with him so I'd like to hound him about that shiz.

Also, yah fun is completely relative, so I guess the question is moot then. It's just that I thrive on the tension that arises from being in a tough, "back against the wall," kinda situation, so it's no wonder that I prefer Melee. In addition the close-up game is undeniably more elaborate in Melee which lends a sense of speed to it all.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Its interesting that you say Brawl is less serious then Melee cus even in tournament matches I don't take Melee that serious. If something stupid happens(Tech Chase Falcon Punch) i tend to high five my opponent and laugh about it. A game is only as serious as you make it.
People get pissed at me because I only play smash competitive style. I don't like cheap items, bad stages, or crappy game modes. The most fun I have palying the games is when I sit down and play people seriously.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
People get pissed at me because I only play smash competitive style. I don't like cheap items, bad stages, or crappy game modes. The most fun I have palying the games is when I sit down and play people seriously.
Exactly. People have this odd assumption that if your not playing all crazy and wacky with items on high on big blue, you CANT be having fun because its too serious. This couldn't be further from the truth, some of us just really like the high level advanced play and have more fun with it.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
Once I tried playing with no items and on fairly balanced stages, playing any other way just wasn't as fun. This was way before I started learning any techniques or really having an interest in playing the game at a high level. For me, it was just a more fun way to play for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom