• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SB Creates: Universal Superstar Strike (Platform Fighter)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS PLATFROM FIGHTER

So in the film studio platform fighter genre, we've already got WB covered with Multiversus and Disney is being worked on in a separate thread here. I think the next best option here is Universal Studios.

With over 100 years of film, television and theme park history, Universal has a huge library of iconic franchises to pull from. We'll be submitting characters, stages, items, support characters, game mechanics and controls, and so on to make this the biggest celebration of their library as possible.

Given my duties and such here as and mod along with other duties, i'll probably be a bit lax with this thread and take my time with it. Don't be surprised if time between jobs takes more than a day or 2.

SPECIAL MECHANIC: CHARACTER SPECIFIC ITEMS. SUGGESTED BY AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Unique gimmick:

Unique character items

Still going to push for some stuff from Shrek Super Slam to make this crossover its spiritual successor. Each character gets a unique weapon or item that spawns once every game for them to collect and holster until later in battle. Woody Woodpecker could get a protection mask like in the Woody Woodpecker cartoons where he can use it to spit fire or Dracula can get a coffin which could be used for healing damage. Lots of potential here.

CONTROLS BY cashregister9 cashregister9
There will be light and heavy attacks in addition to specials

I also wanted to make it somewhat simple

Light Neutral

Light Up

Light Down

Light Dash Attack

Heavy Neutral

Heavy Up

Heavy Down

Heavy Dash Attack

Light Nair

Light Fair

Light Uair

Light Dair

Heavy Nair

Heavy Fair

Heavy Uair

Heavy Dair

Neutral Special

Up Special

Down Special

Side Special

Universe Attack (Final Smash equivalent)

Grab

Throw
UNIVERSE ATTACKS ARE ACTIVATED BY A METER Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
  1. Woody Woodpecker (Woody Woodpecker, 1940)
  2. Dracula (Universal Classic Monsters, 1930)
  3. Marty McFly (Back to the Future, 1985)
  4. Shrek (Shrek, 2001)
TBD
Support summoning method by AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Looking a bit ahead but I feel the items system should be themed after theme park tickets. One category of these tickets can be "Assist Passes". These passes will allow help from a character at a certain time by filling a queue meter. You can pre-select assists before the beginning of the match if you choose to have them on. I also think that there can be a synergy system between support characters and fighters as characters from the same series will give you a very slight stat buff or do what the assist does in a very slightly better way.

More likely to come...

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Aighty let's get started,

First things first, as you might've noticed already, I've decided on the first newcomer. WOODY WOODPECKER!
Woody_Woodpecker.png

Dude's practically Universal's mascot, so I think he's kind of a no-brainer here. That being said the rest of this roster will be decided by y'all. speaking of...

JOB 1: SUBMIT A UNIVERSAL CLASSIC MONSTER
Universal_Classic_Monsters_logo.jpg

Let's start with a no-brainer. Considered one of the original cinematic universes, this franchise of films featuring spooky monsters was a big thing for Universal back in the day and have gone on to become horror cinema classics. Needless to say, a rep or two here is a no-brainer.

This prompt is practically what it says on the tin, submit a monster from one of these several films . Granted there is some weird inconsistence in what films are and aren't qualified as part of the canon, but I don't think it matters too too much here, assuming how many potential official cannidates there are.

And ftr, This is for the og lineup of films from the 30's and 50's only. Reboots and reimaginings like The Mummy '99 and the like will be considered their own separate thing and won't be eligible here. They've practically become their own franchises at this point.

Ftr, we will have prompts that'll we be more global (heh) and not necessarily tied to one franchise (in fact, that'll be the next character prompt) but I figured this would be a good one to start with, given how obvious and how fruitful the options are without being toooo overwhelming.

JOB 2: SUBMIT A ROSTER SIZE
Next up roster size I was originally gonna default things to 36 here, but I wanted to give y'all some more control here.

Pick any number up to 46, though I would recommend putting some reality in this project and going for a realitivley realistic number here

The general roster size is will also affect the amount of stages, items, etc. We'll add.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Oooooooh this was an idea I have had in mind since forever and I am super happy someone got around to making it. Thank you Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku

I would love to help out with this thread if need be. But, onward to the job:

Job 1:

Dracula

6240beee-f3fb-4ee6-8c72-b7b8c7bff6b5.jpg

The Bela Lugosi Dracula is an obvious choice for a first addition. The 1931 Dracula has had such pop cultural influence and led to several sequels and spinoffs. Also, the 1931 Dracula was the first sound film adaptation of the famous novel. Therefore, Dracula is a must to add to a Universal Studios fighting game.

Job 2:

I am going to say 40 is a pretty solid number for this since Universal is a big company after all. Thus, due to Universal loving their IPs and if they were to give their all on a platfighter, 40 sounds pretty solid in my opinion.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Job 1:
I agree with Dracula and Wolfman, Drac has the most moveset potential, especially if we draw upon more vampire lore and Wolfman also suits a similar fighting role. I’ll throw in Frankenstein’s monster too considering how iconic this version is
BF430478-D1B4-4D91-8C6B-5F3904B817AB.jpeg

Job 2:
I do think around 35 seems like a reasonable size, same size as Brawl.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job One:

Character Name: The Gill-Man
Character Origin: The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

The depths of the waters of Earth are a strange and unusual place, full of strange and unusual beings. As beings who live in the light, it is perhaps impossible for us to understand what it is like to live amongst the crushing pressure, the blinding darkness, the eerie quiet... and yet for the creatures for whom that is a reality, it has morphed and twisted them far beyond the concept of humanity in the eyes of we, man, those who would act as the arbiters of life on Earth. Perhaps it is time we remembered what covers more than half of the planet.

The Gill-Man, also known as the Creature, was the main "monster" from by far one of the most well-known 1950s Universal Monsters movies (or, perhaps, horror movies), The Creature from the Black Lagoon - as well as its two sequels, Revenge of the Creature and the now unfortunately-name The Creature Walks Among Us. It, as you can imagine, makes its home within water - and as such is an entirely amphibious being that possesses thick, armour-like skin that makes it almost impervious to gunshots and the like. In terms of our interpretation for this game, we could potentially involve the swamps that he makes his home in - as well as using his claw-like webbed hands for slashing attacks, and perhaps pulling from its gigantic appearance in the novelisation for the first book (perhaps for a powerful "meter attack" of sorts.)

Job Two:

Personally, I'm going to go with 32. It'd allow us to have a mix of a few obvious, a few weird, and a few downright obscure picks, without having too bloated or confusing a roster or sacrificing anyone in particular for other spots.

Last edited:
Imhotep
1660924646772.png
Imhotep is a fictional character from Universal Pictures's movie "The Mummy" and he is an Egyptian mummy who was killed for attempting to resurrect his dead lover, Ankh-esen-amun. After being discovered and accidentally brought to life by a team of archaeologists, he disguises himself as a modern Egyptian named Ardeth Bey and searches for Ankh-esen-amun, who he believes to have been reincarnated in the modern world.

Although he isn't very popular as Frankenstein & Dracula himself, but at least he was a moderate success that spawned many sequels, remakes and reimaginings.

As for it's moveset, he could use his Egyptian stuff to attack such as sarcophagus as his shield attack or even side Smash if he could swing it around. Also he could use his tape to fight the opponents.
He would be all-around character that doesn't have any movement options.

I think he would be cool if he was added to Universal Platform Fighter as playable, since having an Egyptian character would be awesome choice for a fighter.

As for roster number, we should go by 34 characters. Not too much or less for a new IP.

Attachments

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Instead of submitting a Universal monster, I'm submitting the man who plays them, Boris Karloff:
Screenshot 2022-08-15 8.22.58 AM.png

I say we should do about 54 fighters

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Starting to think I probably should've started out on a bit of a bigger note for the character prompt. Ah well. Again, this is my first creates thread so bear with me. Promise tho, next character prompts will be gargantuan.
Instead of submitting a Universal monster, I'm submitting the man who plays them, Boris Karloff:
View attachment 359056

I say we should do about 54 fighters
Think gonna reject this for now. I'm specifically looking for one of the actual monsters in the movie.

Also, like darkone said, upper limit is 46. May seem like a weird number, but i think it's a good stopping gap.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Job 1: The Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom, Erik, is originally from the Gaston Leroux book. It is a story of an opera house in Paris haunted by a mysterious person who sends anonymous notes to staff and talent alike and has created an entire maze of mirrors underneath said opera house. This film was adapted into an iconic silent film in 1925 called, well, The Phantom of the Opera. It is a gorgeous and lavishly shot film - when I watched it I didn't realize that the masquerade section was actually manually colored in creating a surprising colorful portion that when tied with the excellent score really makes for a bombastic scene in the middle of a very spooky and tragic film. Of course, following the Universal adaptation, there have been adaptations and parodies, and of course the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical!

I've actually seen the musical three times live...and the Joel Schumacher movie multiple times...and the Royal Albert Hall version with Ramin Karimloo on a big movie screen...and I've read the book multiple times...and I've seen the silent film a few times too, and...you could say I'm a fan. Or a Phan.

The Lon Chaney version of the Phantom is very iconic, the scene above being seen as one of the spookiest scenes in early film history. The Phantom would be able to use all kinds of skills he's used both in this film and in future adaptations - The Punjab Lasso (noose), swordplay, his ability to conjure fireballs, and in general his use of magic and trickery and gracefulness, and his love of hiding in the shadows. Mirror clones, perhaps? Many possibilities!

D

Deleted member

Imhotep is a fictional character from Universal Pictures's movie "The Mummy" and he is an Egyotian mummy who was killed for attempting to resurrect his dead lover, Ankh-esen-amun. After being discovered and accidentally brought to life by a team of archaeologists, he disguises himself as a modern Egyptian named Ardeth Bey and searches for Ankh-esen-amun, who he believes to have been reincarnated in the modern world.

Although he isn't very popular as Frankenstein & Dracula himself, but at least he was a moderate success that spawned many sequels, remakes and reimaginings.

As for it's moveset, he could use his Egyptian stuff to attack such as sarcophagus as his shield attack or even side Smash if he could swing it around. Also he could use his tape to fight the opponents.
He would be all-around character that doesn't have any movement options.

I think he would be cool if he was added to Universal Platform Fighter as playable, since having an Egyptian character would be awesome choice for a fighter.

As for roster number, we should go by 34 characters. Not too much or less for a new IP.
That image and description is from the 90s version BTW. Which doesn't count for this round. We're only doing the classic B&W ones. (90s Mummy absolutely needs to get in though)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That image and description is from the 90s version BTW. Which doesn't count for this round. We're only doing the classic B&W ones. (90s Mummy absolutely needs to get in though)
Thanks for catching that, haha. Somehow didn't notice this.

If Imhotep is submitted for this prompt it'll specifically be the Boris Karloff one.

But yeah Mummy '99 is practically it's own beast that we'll treat as it's own franchise if it does get in. I say "if", but it's probably moreso a "when" lol. People love those movies.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Aighty, assuming no one else seems interested in submitting I think it's voting time

Job 1 Universal Classic Monsters fighter

Dracula AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Wolfman Noipoi Noipoi
Frankenstein's Monster Wademan94 Wademan94
The Invisible Man cashregister9 cashregister9
The Gil-Man KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Imhotep Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
The Bride @Darkonedagger
The Phantom of the Opera Flyboy Flyboy

Vote for your top 3. We'll be doing tiered rankings, so your first vote will be worth 3 points, second 2 points, and your third 1 point.

You can only rank your own nomination either second or third.

For example, here's my votes

1. Dracula (+3 points)
2. Wolfman (+2 points)
3. The Bride (+1 point)

We'll be adding the single most voted character here. That being said, I won't be surprised if we see these guys again in the future.

Job 2: Roster size

Here are our options

30 Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule
32 KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
34 Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
35 Wademan94 Wademan94
40 Kirby Dragons Kirby Dragons
45 Noipoi Noipoi
46 Justoneguyhere1999 Justoneguyhere1999

cashregister9 cashregister9 Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP , just a heads up, your submited numbers surpassed the max of 46. I know it's kinda a random number to cap on, but admittedly 50+ seems a bit too excessive, haha.

I've out a poll up top for y'all, so be sure to do that

I'll say, even the minimum of 30 gives us more than enough to work with. I've made very satisfying rosters of this with that amount

Anywho, next few prompts coming shortly

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Aighty, assuming no one else seems interested in submitting I think it's voting time

Job 1 Universal Classic Monsters fighter

Dracula AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Wolfman Noipoi Noipoi
Frankenstein's Monster Wademan94 Wademan94
The Invisible Man cashregister9 cashregister9
The Gil-Man KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99
Imhotep Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds
The Bride @Darkonedagger
The Phantom of the Opera Flyboy Flyboy

Vote for your top 3. We'll be doing tiered rankings, so your first vote will be worth 3 points, second 2 points, and your third 1 point

For example, here's my votes

1. Dracula (+3 points)
2. Wolfman (+2 points)
3. The Bride (+1 point)

We'll be adding the single most voted character here. That being said, I won't be surprised if we see these guys again in the future.
1. Dracula. this is obvious almost too obvious im sorry we need to have him here
2. Invisible Man. look dracula is the one thats gonna get in but the invisible man is cool!
3. The Phantom of the Opera. i just think hes neat :yeahboi:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Starting to think I should've defaulted Dracula too lol.

Sorry if the pace of roster selection seems a bit slow at first. This was my first creates thread so bear with me. It's a bit of learning process. We'll be adding more characters pretty soon, but first:

JOB 3: SUBMIT A GENERAL MOVESET LAYOUT
I find it doubtful a hypothetical game like this would have 1-1 Smash's move pool and such, so I figure we should get this figured out

Submit a general move layout for this game that we can use for every addition going forward. Feel free to add new gameplay mechanics and such if necessary.

Or you can just submit Smash's layout if you reaaaaally want to lol

JOB 4: SUBMIT A NAME
Let's get this out of the way too. Let's give this sucker a name. "Untitled Universal Platform Fighter" ain't gonna cut it

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
1. Wolfman
2. Dracula
3. The Bride

Name for the game:

Universal Studios: Islands of Brawling

The title is a reference to the Islands of Adventure at Universal Studios Florida. I know, cheesy title.

Moveset template will be posted here. Watch this space.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Frankenstein's Monster
2. Dracula
3. Gillman

Job 3

There will be light and heavy attacks in addition to specials

I also wanted to make it somewhat simple

Light Neutral

Light Up

Light Down

Light Dash Attack

Heavy Neutral

Heavy Up

Heavy Down

Heavy Dash Attack

Light Nair

Light Fair

Light Uair

Light Dair

Heavy Nair

Heavy Fair

Heavy Uair

Heavy Dair

Neutral Special

Up Special

Down Special

Side Special

Universe Attack (Final Smash equivalent)

Grab

Throw
Job 4

Universal Superstar Strike

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Since Dracula has enough support already
1. Frankenstein
2. Wolfman
3. Gillman

Also I’m so tempted to just go “Universus” with the title
Whoops completely forgot to bring this up, but you can only vote for your submission either second or third, just so people won't be too biased and such. Apologies that was my bad. Meant to bring it up.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Whoops completely forgot to bring this up, but you can only vote for your submission either second or third, just so people won't be too biased and such
Gotcha, then move Wolfman to first for me

Edit: Ignore that, was meant for future discussion

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 1: Universal Classic Monsters fighter results

Dracula AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 32
Wolfman Noipoi Noipoi 13
Frankenstein's Monster Wademan94 Wademan94 10
The Invisible Man cashregister9 cashregister9 5
The Gil-Man KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 4
Imhotep Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds 3
The Bride @Darkonedagger 2
The Phantom of the Opera Flyboy Flyboy 8

If I had a nickel for everytime a vampire completely swept the competition, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but weird it's happened twice.
Bela_Lugosi_as_Dracula,_anonymous_photograph_from_1931,_Universal_Studios.jpg

Anywho, please welcome DRACULA to this roster! Very much deserved. We'll work on his and Woody's movesets shortly once we figure the general moveset layout.

On that note, AlteredBeast AlteredBeast , I saw you were thinking about adding a potential moveset templat. Do you still plan to do that?

In the meantime...

Job 2: Roster size results

Our roster size will be a meaty 40! This is more than enough for us to work with, so expect some pretty fun picks on our roster! I'll adjust the size of other stuff like stages and items and such in accordance in due time

Anywho, hang tight, gonna work things out, before we start voting on our current jobs

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Alright, Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku I will write up a quick moveset template.

Basically, I was thinking for general gameplay (I know I am looking a bit too far ahead here but) wecan have the moveset template of Shrek SuperSlam if we plan for the more arena-ish platform fighter style to be unique.

Each character can perform weak attacks, strong attacks (which can be charged up for charge attacks), throws, air attacks, wall jumps, double jumps, Blocks, Reflect Blocks, Wall Attacks, up attacks and evades. Advanced techniques such as Block Dropping (fast-falling from midair with a block) and Block-cancelling (cancelling a charge attack or air dash with a block) exist as well. There also includes the ability to holster weapons for a later use without losing them upon getting hit. However, a majority of character-specific moves include dash attacks, air dash attacks, air wall attacks and charge throws. Also, each fighter will have a Universal globe meter where the Earth will fill up during the fight when then a fighter will perform their “Universal Super”, a competitively viable super.

There can also be movement tech too but there’s my idea for how movesets should be designed. Sorry if this is too confusing.

Moveset template:

Weak neutral

Weak up air

Weak down air

Strong neutral (Charge neutral attack)

Strong up air (Charge up attack)

Strong down air (Charge down attack)

Air neutral

Air up

Air down

Wall attack

Exclusive weapon for fighter

Universal Super

Basically, this is the spiritual successor to Shrek SuperSlam.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Alright, Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku I will write up a quick moveset template.

Basically, I was thinking for general gameplay (I know I am looking a bit too far ahead here but) wecan have the moveset template of Shrek SuperSlam if we plan for the more arena-ish platform fighter style to be unique.

Each character can perform weak attacks, strong attacks (which can be charged up for charge attacks), throws, air attacks, wall jumps, double jumps, Blocks, Reflect Blocks, Wall Attacks, up attacks and evades. Advanced techniques such as Block Dropping (fast-falling from midair with a block) and Block-cancelling (cancelling a charge attack or air dash with a block) exist as well. There also includes the ability to holster weapons for a later use without losing them upon getting hit. However, a majority of character-specific moves include dash attacks, air dash attacks, air wall attacks and charge throws. Also, each fighter will have a Universal globe meter where the Earth will fill up during the fight when then a fighter will perform their “Universal Super”, a competitively viable super.

There can also be movement tech too but there’s my idea for how movesets should be designed. Sorry if this is too confusing.
You mind adding an a simple list of all available moves so it may be easy for people to make a full moveset and such?

Last edited:
Top Bottom