• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SB Creates: Universal Superstar Strike (Platform Fighter)

D

Deleted member

1. Marty
2. Rexy
3. Bruce

1. Shrek
2. Dom
3. Minions

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Aighty, I think enough time has passed, let's get to the results

20th Century Character Results

Littlefoot (The Land Before Time) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 0 VOTES
Marty McFly (Back to the Future) Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 33 VOTES
Casper (Casper The Friendly Ghost@Northsouthmap 1 VOTE
ET (ET: The Extraterrestrial) @Darkonedagger 18 VOTES
Lieutenant Columbo (Columbo) @OrpheusTelos 8 VOTES
Rexy (Jurassic Park) cashregister9 cashregister9 16 VOTES
Ash Williams (Evil Dead) @DragonRobotKing26 1 VOTE
Felix the Cat (Felix the Cat) Justoneguyhere1999 Justoneguyhere1999 9 VOTES
Shrieker (Tremors) Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP 2 VOTES
Bruce (Jaws) KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 8 VOTES

Michael_J._Fox_as_Marty_McFly_in_Back_to_the_Future,_1985.jpg

MARTY MCFLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY ADDED TO THE ROSTER!

This inclusion sure is heavy Doc! Fun fact, I was super close to adding Marty (along with Dom Toretto) as one of the default additions along with Woody Woodpecker, for seeming oh so obvious, but I never did, lol. Glad he's made it regardless. With all that said, I swear I didn't do this prompt just for him, lol.

21st Century Characters Results

Stuart, Kevin, and Bob (Despicable Me/Minions) AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 12 VOTES
Shrek (Shrek) Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 40 VOTES
Po (Kung Fu Panda) @Northsouthmap 6 VOTES
Dominic Toretto (Fast and the Furious)@Darkonedagger 17 VOTES
Scott Pilgrim (Scott Pilgrim) cashregister9 cashregister9 6 VOTES
Hellboy (Hellboy)@DragonRobotKing26 0 VOTES
Good Janet (The Good Place) Justoneguyhere1999 Justoneguyhere1999 0 VOTES
Vector (Despicable Me) Qwerty UIOP Qwerty UIOP 7 VOTES
Jason Bourne (Bourne) Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy 6 VOTES
Onceler (The Lorax) KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 2 VOTES

MI_20092022_200618.png

SHREK HAS OFFICIALLY JOINED THE ROSTER!

I don't have much to say here tbh, dude just kinda made sense. DreamWorks was kinda a given for this game, and I think getting Shrek out of the way early sets up for a potentially whacker choice in the chance we do a general DreamWorks prompt down the line.

It admittedly looks pretty bad that both of my submissions happened to win by a landslide, lol. Ah well, I'm sure they would've been nominated anyway. I promise I properly tallied and everything.

I'm terms of our 4 confirmed characters so far, I feel we have a decent variety already of what this game has to offer. A set of pretty iconic characters all filling different niches from each other. In terms of improvement I feel we could use a TV character or two as well as maybe a female, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. For now, let's focus on getting Marty and Shrek's general content up along with a couple other more general stuff I've been meaning to get to like support characters.

Anywho, gimme a little bit to set things up before our next set of jobs.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job 15
Submit a moveset and character specific items for Marty McFly

Job 16
Submit a moveset and character specific item for Shrek

It's moveset time! Submit a moveset for these two using our current template. Also, in order for the two to mesh well together, I also implore you to add the character-specfic item along with your suggested movest.

As a bit of a reminder, we also still have the moveset waiting to be written for Dracula. Feel free to handle that too whenever you'd like, if you so please

I know people weren't that active with the moveset prompts last time, so if people have an issue with doing these, we could always put em on the backburner til after we finish the roster selection. Not my plan for now, but something I may keep in mind if y'all prefer. Again, feedback is appreciated.

Job 17
Submit the way in which support characters are summoned

For those less moveset savvy, let's get this out of the way. Support characters will be our version of Smash's assists, giving other characters a chance to help out on the battlefield, even if they don't become playble.

We'll be adding our first batch fairly soon, but what I need to know for now is how should they summoned? we could use an item, have em selected before the start of the match, or perhaps you have your own crazy idea. Getting this out of the way now will set the stepping stone of where we could go in terms of each support's abilities and such.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 17

How I feel support characters should work in Universal Super Strike:

Personally, I feel we can make assists a little unique here. I feel for support characters, my unique idea is via "Ride Tickets".

Looking a bit ahead but I feel the items system should be themed after theme park tickets. One category of these tickets can be "Assist Passes". These passes will allow help from a character at a certain time by filling a queue meter. You can pre-select assists before the beginning of the match if you choose to have them on. I also think that there can be a synergy system between support characters and fighters as characters from the same series will give you a very slight stat buff or do what the assist does in a very slightly better way.

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Character specific item for Marty: Hoverboard - Acts like a platform that you can ride for about 15 seconds and can cause ram damage

Character specific item for Shrek: Onions (whynot) - Causes anyone in a certain radius to get stunned

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Character specific item for Marty: Hoverboard

Character specific item for Shrek: Onions (whynot)
1. I'd much rather you submit the items along with the movesets as a bit of package deal so we they can mesh as well as possible

2. Giving a description of what the items do could go a long way

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
1. I'd much rather you submit the items along with the movesets as a bit of package deal so we they can mesh as well as possible

2. Giving a description of what the items do could go a long way
Wasnt sure if I should do 2 but thanks also I don't do movesets very well

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #15: I considered suggesting the Hoverboard, but honestly, I think it'd be better suited to being a part of his moveset somehow. So, that leaves us in an interesting situation where we'd want to represent another item from the Back to the Future series, but not something Marty himself might use as an attack. This actually lead me to:

Item Name: Kirk Gibson Jr. Slugger 2000 Adjustable Bat
Item Origin: Back to the Future Part II (1989)

My concept for this is that it works a little like the Homerun Bat over in Smash, though differs slightly in a couple of ways. Attacking with the bat normally does low damage, but charging it up has the player hold the bat behind them as it extends, before smashing it forward. At full charge, it's one of the more powerful attacks in the game - and has surprising disjointed range as well as low starting lag - but has high endlag as the bat retracts once more. Given it's unlikely that Griff Tannen would actually end up making it into the game in some way, I felt his bat would at the very least be a pretty cool inclusion.

Job #16: Shrek's an interesting series when it comes to items because honestly, there's quite a lot to choose from! However, I decided to go with one that Shrek himself might not use, but felt like a logical inclusion regardless.

Item Name: Dulocian Barrel
Item Origin: Shrek (2001)

I couldn't actually find a .GIF of what I originally had in mind, but this'd be fun too. When attacked, the barrel will break and fire a spurt of mead forth with high knockback but low damage. However, if you clamber on top of the barrel, it's possible to run on top of it a little like Donkey does, with the barrel doing some damage to opponents if it hits them as it rolls. Notably, it's still possible to hit characters from the top of the barrel, and jumping off is still easy and possible.

Job #17: I personally think a potentially cool idea could be to have your traditional "assist trophy", but it takes the form of an old-school film projector. The implication is that the characters summoned are summoned from their film reels, which allows them to fight for a short time until the projector shuts off. The projector itself enters the background layer once used, though, so it can't be broken in order to cancel out the trophy.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Job #15: I considered suggesting the Hoverboard, but honestly, I think it'd be better suited to being a part of his moveset somehow. So, that leaves us in an interesting situation where we'd want to represent another item from the Back to the Future series, but not something Marty himself might use as an attack. This actually lead me to:

Item Name: Kirk Gibson Jr. Slugger 2000 Adjustable Bat
Item Origin: Back to the Future Part II (1989)

My concept for this is that it works a little like the Homerun Bat over in Smash, though differs slightly in a couple of ways. Attacking with the bat normally does low damage, but charging it up has the player hold the bat behind them as it extends, before smashing it forward. At full charge, it's one of the more powerful attacks in the game - and has surprising disjointed range as well as low starting lag - but has high endlag as the bat retracts once more. Given it's unlikely that Griff Tannen would actually end up making it into the game in some way, I felt his bat would at the very least be a pretty cool inclusion.

Job #16: Shrek's an interesting series when it comes to items because honestly, there's quite a lot to choose from! However, I decided to go with one that Shrek himself might not use, but felt like a logical inclusion regardless.

Item Name: Dulocian Barrel
Item Origin: Shrek (2001)

I couldn't actually find a .GIF of what I originally had in mind, but this'd be fun too. When attacked, the barrel will break and fire a spurt of mead forth with high knockback but low damage. However, if you clamber on top of the barrel, it's possible to run on top of it a little like Donkey does, with the barrel doing some damage to opponents if it hits them as it rolls. Notably, it's still possible to hit characters from the top of the barrel, and jumping off is still easy and possible.
Again, I've wanted the character exclusive item to be suggested with the moveset, so they could mesh as well as possible. So with that regard, as much as I appreciate the creativity here, I'm gonna reject it for now unless you a make full-on movesets as well

I may consider changing that in the future, but I want to make sure there's some cohesion with everything.

Anywho, I'll leave these prompts up for now for whenever y'all want to tackle em. For now let's get to Support Character Method voting

Support Character Summon Method Voting

We got two nominations here, both of which are a fun twist on the usual support character summoning methods found in other fighters

Assist Passes AlteredBeast AlteredBeast
Assist Trophy-esque Film Projector
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99

I'm putting a poll up top for y'all to vote in for this.

Aighty, stage time!
JOB 18 SUBMIT A STAGE FROM THE BACK TO THE FUTURE UNIVERSE

JOB 19 SUBMIT A STAGE FROM THE SHREK UNIVERSE

Submit a stage for these two franchises. Be sure to give a brief description of it's layout, visual details, and so on.

On a side-note, I should clarify that we will have stages from non-represented franchises, but I'll probably get to those a bit later on.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job 18 - Back to the Future stage: Hill Valley
Hill Valley.jpeg
Hill Valley is the town where the trilogy is set in. I imagine this to be a rather simple stage, maybe even a walk-off one, with a few trees and a couple of platform to shake things up. However, the catch is that sometimes the fabled DeLorean will appear and project the stage and the fighters into different years. Thus, the stage has four different variations: 1885, 1955, 1985, and 2015, each coming with some sort of stage hazards that fit the time period (like in 1885 you will see cowboys shooting at you while in 2015 the top half of the stage is littered with flying cars), while not altering the general stage layout very much. You always start in 1985, which is the default and hazard-less version of the stage.

Job 19 - Shrek stage: The Swamp
Swamp.jpeg

I mean, how could I not reference Shrek's iconic swamp? However, I wanted to make this stage somewhat unique or, at least, consistent with its source material. In this stage, you fight on top of Shrek's house. The highest part of the trunk is actually a small, flat platform, while the rest of the stage consists of slope and very slippery surfaces. You really want to stay at the center of the swamp, while you also want to keep opponents out of you swamp, just like Shrek does during the first movie.

I know these were not the most exciting ideas ever, but at least I hope they make somewhat sense.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
LoZ00 LoZ00 s Hill Valley and Shrek's Swamp stages have been added by default
Job 18 - Back to the Future stage: Hill Valley
View attachment 361174
Hill Valley is the town where the trilogy is set in. I imagine this to be a rather simple stage, maybe even a walk-off one, with a few trees and a couple of platform to shake things up. However, the catch is that sometimes the fabled DeLorean will appear and project the stage and the fighters into different years. Thus, the stage has four different variations: 1885, 1955, 1985, and 2015, each coming with some sort of stage hazards that fit the time period (like in 1885 you will see cowboys shooting at you while in 2015 the top half of the stage is littered with flying cars), while not altering the general stage layout very much. You always start in 1985, which is the default and hazard-less version of the stage.

Job 19 - Shrek stage: The Swamp
View attachment 361175

I mean, how could I not reference Shrek's iconic swamp? However, I wanted to make this stage somewhat unique or, at least, consistent with its source material. In this stage, you fight on top of Shrek's house. The highest part of the trunk is actually a small, flat platform, while the rest of the stage consists of slope and very slippery surfaces. You really want to stay at the center of the swamp, while you also want to keep opponents out of you swamp, just like Shrek does during the first movie.

I know these were not the most exciting ideas ever, but at least I hope they make somewhat sense.

Meanwhile, we'll be going with AlteredBeast AlteredBeast 's prompt for support characters
Looking a bit ahead but I feel the items system should be themed after theme park tickets. One category of these tickets can be "Assist Passes". These passes will allow help from a character at a certain time by filling a queue meter. You can pre-select assists before the beginning of the match if you choose to have them on. I also think that there can be a synergy system between support characters and fighters as characters from the same series will give you a very slight stat buff or do what the assist does in a very slightly better way.
This'll only be affecting the supports for now, but I may consider opening up to votes whether we use the ticket system for all items in the future. Not now though. Anywho, song time!

JOB 20 SUBMIT A TRACKLIST FOR HILL VALLEY

JOB 21 SUBMIT A TRACKLIST FOR THE SWAMP

Sumbit a music list for these stages. It could be from the films, video games, and so on. Be sure to say what each song is from, and linking to the song in question would go a long way. In terms of how many songs each, I'd say about 10-13 for each of these two

Like before, (and these are probably essential to these two franchises in particular) I'll allow actual licenced music as long they super connected to the series and as long as y'all use it in decent moderation

Just a reminder that we are also still in need of tracklists for Woody's Tree and Castle Dracula, so feel free to cover those too if you so please

Anywho, after all this, we'll be adding our first few support characters, so stay tuned

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds ' and cashregister9 cashregister9 's respective prompts for the Shrek and Back to the Future songs win by default.

JOB 22: SUBMIT 1 TO 2 SUPPORT (ASSIST) CHARACTERS FROM ALREADY REPRESENTED FRANCHISES

Aighty, this has been a long time coming, but it's finally time to submit some support characters. Again, these are basically our version of assist trophies, summoned via the assist pass method
Btw, I forgot to close the poll up top. Sorry random person who voted for Knee's prompt last minute, but we've already decided on the method here.

Today we'll be focusing on the franchises already on the roster, meaning only the following are eligible:

Woody Woodpecker
Universal Classic Monsters
Back to the Future
Shrek

Post a brief description of the character, and what they'll do as a support.

I'm allowing y'all to submit up to 2 for this prompt (you're free to still do just one if you prefer). That being said, you could only do one per franchise.

One thing to keep in mind here is that
CHARACTERS ADDED AS SUPPORTS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE ADDED AS PLAYABLE LATER ON, so it may not be best to just submit the next biggest character or whatever for these. Remember, we have a 40 slot roster, we'll have more than enough room for double or even triple dipping a couple franchises if we so please.

Last edited:

Qwerty UIOP

Smash Lord
Support 1: Doc Brown

Doc Brown will drive through opponents on his time train

Support 2: The Mummy

Will summon a sandstorm blocking player's vision

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 22:

Support 1:

Andy Panda (Woody Woodpecker)

image-768x1024.jpeg

This panda debuted before Woody Woodpecker but he is a part of his universe. Andy is shown to be a mischievous panda cub and even tried to almost kill Woody Woodpecker once. However, since then, he became the best friend of Woody. As a support character, he will carry around a rifle (like in the old cartoons but it will be more toy-esque) and it will blast out a few shots of rubber bullets at the opponent(s). When he is paired with Woody, Woody will gain a minor stat buff from his best friend.

Support 2: Fairy Godmother (Shrek)

Fairy_Godmother_Shrek_2.png

She is one of the main antagonists of the Shrek movies as in the second Shrek, she was the main antagonist. The Fairy Godmother even had a business based around granting people's wishes. As an assist, she will give the player damage due to her malicious nature but give them a stat buff as she is granting them a wish to succeed in the fight. Every so often, she may cast a spell such as moving the opponents closer to the fighter she is assisting making it easier for the fighter to combo or her power of electrokinesis by blasting electricity. When she is paired with Shrek, Shrek will gain a minor amount of damage but gain some decent stat buffs.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Chilly_Willy.png

Chilly Willy
Throws an iceblock that freezes fighters in place.

Shrek_Dragon_render.png

Dragon
Will breathe fire across the stage, leaving a trial that harms anyone who gets caught in its path.

Top Bottom