• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

redxparasite

Smash Cadet
Reading over this post, I agree with a lot of what people have been posting. Samus got massively nerfed in Brawl. Increasing some of her moves' strengths as well as modifying her moveset would help.

1. Her roll needs to be fixed. It's slow and incredibly readable in both Melee and Brawl. I'd personally suggest that they bring in SenseMove from Other M. I personally think that SenseMove is the perfect tech-roll for her, but she also needs a faster roll dodge in general. Wavedashing was vastly superior to rolling in Melee, and since wavedashing's been removed from Brawl and presumably Smash 4, she NEEDS a good roll.
2. Her missiles need to be returned to Melee strength and speed. I like being able to charge her neutral B in the air. You could press and hold it to charge, and tap B quickly to fire.
3. A morph ball transformation would be interesting. Imagining the moveset: Jump becomes the spring ball, like in Super Metroid. Regular attack becomes a regular bomb. Neutral B would function just like the boost ball in the Prime games. Power Bombs could be more of a "go away" move, doing light damage while pushing enemies outside of its range.
4. Melee grapple, that is all.
5. Her aerials don't need to change, they just need to be stronger again.
6. As for fall speed, I actually like her fall speed in Melee. I won't be too picky about it, as long as her other moves are good.

If Samus is good enough, I'd consider playing her as one of my mains again. Also, that F-Smash in the trailer looked amazing.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yep, that's Samus' sex kick. It looks odd, but it's probably because the picture is motionless and I'm expecting her to fly forward.

To redxparasite's post, Samus doesn't require rolling. All she requires is proper spacing. A roll, no matter how quick it is, leaves you open. When I played Brawl, I noticed Tudor—another Samus player—rarely rolled, so I decided to use this to my advantage. By not rolling behind or away from my opponent and instead using the option to walk or trot away from my opponent, I allow myself other options not available when rolling. These are:

Shielding
Spot-dodging
Jumping
Attacking

Aside from that, I have a preferred grapple. This would offer Samus two ways of grabbing her opponent. There's using her grapple beam to grab from a distance, but imagine the option of also being able to grab your opponent using your hand instead when you get close enough for that option to be possible. This would help Samus a lot and I'm sure many Samus users would use this type of grab the majority of the time.

redxparasite

Smash Cadet
Yep, that's Samus' sex kick. It looks odd, but it's probably because the picture is motionless and I'm expecting her to fly forward.

To redxparasite's post, Samus doesn't require rolling. All she requires is proper spacing. A roll, no matter how quick it is, leaves you open. When I played Brawl, I noticed Tudor—another Samus player—rarely rolled, so I decided to use this to my advantage. By not rolling behind or away from my opponent and instead using the option to walk or trot away from my opponent, I allow myself other options not available when rolling. These are:

Shielding
Spot-dodging
Jumping
Attacking

Aside from that, I have a preferred grapple. This would offer Samus two ways of grabbing her opponent. There's using her grapple beam to grab from a distance, but imagine the option of also being able to grab your opponent using your hand instead when you get close enough for that option to be possible. This would help Samus a lot and I'm sure many Samus users would use this type of grab the majority of the time.
I would agree with you that rolling isn't often a very good option. But I still think it should be there as an option. Samus' roll is EXTREMELY predictable. I first tried Samus when playing Brawl and grew frustrated by her lack of killing power and how annoying it was to try to space with her without getting punished. I haven't played her in Brawl since. I kinda doubt that they'll remove her grapple, since it's one of her staple items. A shorter, quicker, grab would be interesting, however.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I would agree with you that rolling isn't often a very good option. But I still think it should be there as an option. Samus' roll is EXTREMELY predictable. I first tried Samus when playing Brawl and grew frustrated by her lack of killing power and how annoying it was to try to space with her without getting punished. I haven't played her in Brawl since. I kinda doubt that they'll remove her grapple, since it's one of her staple items. A shorter, quicker, grab would be interesting, however.

I suppose. I never use it.

Her grapple wouldn't need to be removed, there would only be another option once you got close enough. That's what I think would be cool.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Maybe pressing forward with the grab button should do the Grapple beam, but otherwise it's a regular grab?

Also, I was thinking it would be neat if the Screw Attack could be directed a little more to the side, and remained active on the way back down for a short while. This would let us do some really awesome arching death jumps.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Thats right, a Morphball Mode is what Samus need, this move will add more of Metroid feel when playing as Samus, you could drop bombs with Neutral B, and hold it to charge a Power Bomb; Side B would be Boost Ball.

To clarify on what I meant:

It also reminds me of her N-air in 64. Particularly during the intro.
Mmmmm.... i think Samus N-air in SSB looks kinda different:

Steelia

Smash Champion
I have no idea where to put this thing. In a topic? Ehh
http://tinyurl.com/l7z4z5v

Really liking the sleek Other M design for Samus this go around, and how they added their own touches to it for Smash4. Wonder how her alternate colors are going to look with that design :Q
Would've loved to have seen her Prime suit as her primary costume in one of the Smash games, though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have no idea where to put this thing. In a topic? Ehh
http://tinyurl.com/l7z4z5v

Really liking the sleek Other M design for Samus this go around, and how they added their own touches to it for Smash4. Wonder how her alternate colors are going to look with that design :Q
Would've loved to have seen her Prime suit as her primary costume in one of the Smash games, though.

Well, shiz, if they made a seemingly good Y: The Last Man film already, I think they'd be a good team to make a Samus film.

Sidenote? Everyone here should give the graphic novel series Y: The Last Man a try. It's super interesting and great all around.

Gilius Thunderhead

Smash Apprentice
^While he's almost exclusively bashing the necessity of the morph ball powerup, and marveling over contortionists, he neglects to mention the fact that:
1. You can see through the morph ball in the first prime game, meaning Samus probably isn't just rolling into the fetal position, unless she becomes transparent for no apparent reason while in ball mode.(Refer to an earlier post on this page for a picture example).
He probably ignored it because, while that's true, it doesn't change the fact that the morph ball is the same size as her just rolling around. The transparency doesn't matter when the game gives you clear proof that she's just doing summersaults inside a big metal ball. They probably chose transparency so that you can't see Samus inside. It would be waay less impressive if you could see Samus just rolling around in the fetal position every time enter morph ball mode.

2. The morph ball is capable of jumping, dropping heavy and light explosives, using magnetic rails to traverse walls and pathways, speed boosting, quickly evading enemies, being launched by kinetic cannons and devices, activating doors and electronics, dropping from great heights, moving rapidly in almost any direction, etc . Call me crazy, but I'd say that outweighs crawling.
Most of this stuff happens in later games. He clearly points out how in the original game the morph ball was only chosen because it's easier to animate than crawling. The only reason any these other power ups even came into existence is because somewhere along the line the morph ball became tradition. He pointed that out too.

He's not saying it can't be useful. I think you're completely missing the point of the video. He just saying WHY the morph ball was chosen over crawling and HOW it's possible which in the end isn't all that impressive. Being a Metroid fan I can understand why you'd dislike it, but you can't really argue with the facts. You wanted to know how Samus contorts into the morph ball, he showed you. It's not Mat Pat's fault the results weren't as impressive as everyone thought. Everything he said was completely backed up, by disagreeing with the Mat Pat you're just disagreeing with the truth.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
He's not saying it can't be useful. I think you're completely missing the point of the video. He just saying WHY the morph ball was chosen over crawling and HOW it's possible which in the end isn't all that impressive. Being a Metroid fan I can understand why you'd dislike it, but you can't really argue with the facts. You wanted to know how Samus contorts into the morph ball, he showed you. It's not Mat Pat's fault the results weren't as impressive as everyone thought. Everything he said was completely backed up, by disagreeing with the Mat Pat you're just disagreeing with the truth.
I just felt that he was unnecessarily over-the-top in his attitude and negative disposition towards the morph ball concept. Because of that, the video seemed unprofessional (as little as that may count in this situation), and frankly, a bit annoying to me. A large portion of the video seemed to just shine a heavy negative light on the morph ball. That IS just my perception however, and it's possible that may not have been his intent whatsoever. Regardless of intent though, people are entitled to their opinions anyway.

Moving on, you're right: in my irritation, I did miss the point of the video, so thank you for pointing that out to me. However, I never argued about the facts he presented. I never denied his backing in the aspect you're mentioning. I just stated what I felt he missed or should have included. I even commented later "he did have some interesting ideas as far as measuring out the pixels, and comparing things to Samus's canonical height".

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm still curious as to why they changed the original name (Maru-Maru) to Morph Ball in the translation.

I mean both sound cool, but I could have exploited the former so much more in my username.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I want her Multi Bomb Spread from Super Metroid:

"Little critters getting you down? If you find yourself surrounded by the smaller of Zebes' inhabitants, power up the Charge Beam and activate the Morphing Ball. Five bombs will promptly burst from Samus and cover the ground around her."

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I at least want the Prime method of bomb jumping, timing it so that you can slowly gain elevation.

Being hopeful, I also like the Morph Ball mode idea, with being able to choose when/where you lay the bomb, the ability to charge it to make a Power Bomb (though I have no idea how they'd balance that, as I'm still saddened at Super Missiles in Brawl being a horrible portrayal of their power) and having the Spring and Boost ball as optional maneuvers.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I at least want the Prime method of bomb jumping, timing it so that you can slowly gain elevation.

Being hopeful, I also like the Morph Ball mode idea, with being able to choose when/where you lay the bomb, the ability to charge it to make a Power Bomb (though I have no idea how they'd balance that, as I'm still saddened at Super Missiles in Brawl being a horrible portrayal of their power) and having the Spring and Boost ball as optional maneuvers.

As far as balancing the Power Bomb goes, I'm inclined to say that it would be offset by the fact that it'd stay in place for a few seconds before detonating, giving enemies plenty of time to get out of the area. It'd be a zoning tool more than an offensive tool.

Also, a long cooldown time.
It wouldn't have to actually be a KOing move either, really-- it could smart bomb amounts of damage with a knockback that doesn't really scale up with % very much.

It'd be a super dickish way to mess up people who are returning to the stage...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Ive noted Samus is one of the most changed veterans so far, not only her appareance, but her attacks, animations; So i decided to make a list for you to know those changes:

-Overall suit design changed to Other M's, but improved.
-Missiles, Super Missiles and Bombs changed to match her new design.
-Some attacks chaged animations and with new effects to look more agile and match her sleek design:
  • Forward Smash has a new animaion and a explosion effect in the armcannon.
  • Forward Tilt has new animation, and looks more long ranged.
  • Neutral A first jab seems to have a more femenine animation.
  • Back Air new animation and more ranged.
  • Neutral Air same as above.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
"The speed and power of Samus' Charge Shot has been drastically improved"

Yes!............... Yes! Yes! Yes!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Again, basically fixing what wasn't broken in the first place far as the charge shots... but yeah.

Hopefully they've also followed suit with the missiles in terms of giving them a buff.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone else noticed how when Samus moves her arms, her shoulder pads don't move in conjunction with her arms? One of the best examples I have found is in Sonic's new picture's:

Her arms are clipping through the bottom of her shoulder pads. I'm hoping this is simply because the development team is just working with the rough data(adding characters, stages, developing physics, etc.) right now and will add little touches like her shoulder pads moving in later. However, look near the barrel of Samus' arm cannon. The parts of the arm cannon that decompress due to recoil are glowing red due to Samus' F-Air. Then again, there was texture tearing for the flexible under armor for her upper thighs:

Not to mention in ^ picture, Samus' armor is glitching through her legs. Thoughts on this? Perhaps I'm being a bit too anal about this at this stage of development, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention regardless.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ok, so we've got a Charge Shot that can actually kill this time around.
Combine that with a Zair as good as in Brawl, and a good Missile Game.
The seemingly buffed Fsmash is just icing on the cake.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Ok, so we've got a Charge Shot that can actually kill this time around.
Combine that with a Zair as good as in Brawl, and a good Missile Game.
The seemingly buffed Fsmash is just icing on the cake.
how do we know her Zair is her Brawl Zair?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The big thing I'm wondering about in regards to Z-air are tether properties (more like Brawl or Melee?) and color (standard blue, Prime 3 purple/yellow/red, or Other M's orange?).

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
if it's tweaked to tether like ZSS's tethers but stays basically the same I will be a happy man

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
We don't.
I didn't say she'll have the Brawl Zair.
It's just wishful thinking on my part.

okay, I see what you're saying. but basically everything you're hyping about seems to be true- her missiles can be parried/destroyed now, but it doesn't seem like it's the same with her Super Missiles, so maybe SHFFM can make a come back as an approach option and then you can combo missiles/Super Missiles together and finish with a Charge Shot or Fsmash

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
You could do that before ssb4, bro.
And I don't think Sakurai means you can't cancel out Super Missiles.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
You could do that before ssb4, bro.
And I don't think Sakurai means you can't cancel out Super Missiles.

yes but before you could also parry Super Missiles. and it sounds to me like you can't now.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
From the pics/captions/vids I've seen, samus has not changed as much as I hoped she would. Still has the worst roll in the game and now missiles can be stopped by hands/swords...ect. She will prob be low tier again (I hope I'm wrong though).'m

I can't stand to main her another 6 years. Xyro (the legend) will not be touching this armored lesbian in smash4.

Top Bottom