• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saltus Combo (testers wanted) *please read thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
'cause people are gonna start looking at you as the savior against MK, and if this **** works, you'll have established a legacy.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, this doesn't make it any easier to actually land the ftilt against Meta Knight. It won't suddenly turn the matchup in Sheik's favor. I'm interested in seeing how many situations it can work in, but it certainly doesn't make Meta Knight any less difficult to connect first hits on.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
'cause people are gonna start looking at you as the savior against MK, and if this **** works, you'll have established a legacy.
ah hah I like that.

To salaboB:
I didn't expect so many questions all at once. I was prepared for MK but not Peach, Marth, Bowser or most of everyone else.

saviorslegacy

lol, this doesn't make it any easier to actually land the ftilt against Meta Knight. It won't suddenly turn the matchup in Sheik's favor. I'm interested in seeing how many situations it can work in, but it certainly doesn't make Meta Knight any less difficult to connect first hits on.
What about Bair to f-tilt as a starter?

salaboB

Smash Champion
To salaboB:
I didn't expect so many questions all at once. I was prepared for MK but not Peach, Marth, Bowser or most of everyone else.
People are just trying to not let MK dominate every new tech that's found :p

Or more likely, those are their mains and they want to know how much trouble they're gonna be in against Sheik.

"I don't know, why don't you test that" seems like a good response to some of these things. You've certainly provided enough details on how to do it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
bair doesn't have enough hitstun to true combo into ftilt, unfortunately.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I'll list them again.

Dolphin Slash, Whirling Fortress: Invincibile frame 1
MK uair: Hits on frame 2
MK nair, Peach nair: Hits on frame 3
Air dodge: frame 4

Doesn't look like there's enough time to do any of these things.

napZzz

Smash Hero
this seems really situational. does ftilt even have enough to hitstun to be able to go into the footstool?

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Nice find but I don't think it helps that much. Its just like a jab lock. People will avoid it.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Except that those characters need something stupid to get the jab lock to happen, whereas Sheik can hit a footstool off a hits-on-frame-4/5 move at 37%

saviorslegacy

Nice find but I don't think it helps that much. Its just like a jab lock. People will avoid it.
People don't avoid the f-tilt in a match for some reason. <,<

Basically if you go away Sheik has Needles. You are screwed up close and far away.

Not only that a spaced Bair sets up for this. Avoiding a f-tilt in a match is impossible.

•Col•

Smash Champion
This is definitely less situational than a jab lock. Anyway, I'm kinda hoping thing this works, even though I don't play Shiek.

Shiek is cool. xD

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Look

IC has a infinite on meta. but its not an MK advantage.
Landing an F-tilt is going to be way harder now, people will play shiek like they play IC.

It will open up new possibilities as the opponent relies on spacing and defense but.........

It's not going to matter much.

What has happened here is that a temporary thing of awesomeness was found. All you've done is make MK player aware shiek is a threat. I'd bet it will still be his favor once they adjust, just like with NinjaLink's diddy.

*Sad to, as a Link main I have dedicated myself to playing all the zelda characters (xcept TL). I <3 shiek I really do but that is my opinion*

TP

Smash Master
This is terrible news for Ganons everywhere. :(

There are currently 29 people viewing this board. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame. :)

saviorslegacy

Look

IC has a infinite on meta. but its not an MK advantage.
Landing an F-tilt is going to be way harder now, people will play shiek like they play IC.

It will open up new possibilities as the opponent relies on spacing and defense but.........

It's not going to matter much.

What has happened here is that a temporary thing of awesomeness was found. All you've done is make MK player aware shiek is a threat. I'd bet it will still be his favor once they adjust, just like with NinjaLink's diddy.
IC's aren't bloody fast though with Needles!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Except Sheik has approach options, unlike the ICs. She could, to some degree, fend for herself against Meta Knight. This just adds an option for extra punishment on hitconfirm of an ftilt, which happens to be Sheik's single most useful move given its a. 4-frame startup (hits on frame 5), b. 17-frame cooldown (ends on frame 22), and c. reasonably long range (longest ranged attack Sheik has with the exception of fsmash, but fsmash sucks).

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It's just like NL's diddy, MK players will adjust.

Before we get all hyped lets not get overexcited. Lets see how MK adjusts.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm pretty sure Meta Knights (and many other characters) have already been playing to avoid the ftilt - it used to lead directly to around 40% guaranteed damage for them off of just the ftilt lock. Avoiding Sheik's ftilt for the entire game is somewhat more likely than avoiding Dedede's grab for an entire game, but not by much.

Also, I already mentioned earlier that it's pretty pointless to do this against characters that can already easily be ftilt locked. That includes Ganondorf.

saviorslegacy

I'm pretty sure Meta Knights (and many other characters) have already been playing to avoid the ftilt - it used to lead directly to around 40% guaranteed damage for them off of just the ftilt lock. Avoiding Sheik's ftilt for the entire game is somewhat more likely than avoiding Dedede's grab for an entire game, but not by much.

Also, I already mentioned earlier that it's pretty pointless to do this against characters that can already easily be ftilt locked. That includes Ganondorf.
True.. and do you know what's funny? The major killers of this combo are the people with little ground traction (Luigi and Lucario) and the fast fallers. The fast fallers can be f-tilt locked to crazy high percents.
So basically we have an infinite on every character except fo a very small handful (those who have little ground traction).

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Good **** on this, I don't play Sheik much but this is very cool, footstool seems to be one of the last places of potential metagame development, everyone should think about if it can be applied to their own characters.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Forgot to mention, Yoshi's Island's weird ground terrain makes normal "OTG lock" attacks not actually lock, so this combo is completely impossible on that stage.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I just noticed that you think ROB is impossible to footstool combo. Um, no?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3je-k53-DU (second example)
You can footstool as long as Sheik is in the general vicinity of ROB; you don't have to do it from directly above him.

@East: This is why I'm interested in seeing how much a strong bair could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom