• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather have Weegee's Mansion than Distant Planet. Hell, I could dig some Pirate Ship. Distant Planet's just begging to be Sharkfest '11.

Denti

Smash Master
All I seriously see in the title thread is Vagina. I can't even read it properly without the word VAGINA popping up in my head.

What's wrong with you sick people?!

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I like Pirate Ship, but I've never dealt with people rudder camping on it, so I don't know if that totally kills the stage for us or not.
I'm legit interested in looking into the stages that got into the BBR Recommended Ruleset 3.1, but that aren't in the Unity Ruleset. So Pirate Ship is one of those :)

Oh, and Yoshi's Island Pipes is also good for Olimar :awesome:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I like Pirate Ship, but I've never dealt with people rudder camping on it, so I don't know if that totally kills the stage for us or not.
They're already banning a bunch of techniques to keep Metaknight legal, what's one more? :glare:

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
I'm legit interested in looking into the stages that got into the BBR Recommended Ruleset 3.1, but that aren't in the Unity Ruleset. So Pirate Ship is one of those :)

Oh, and Yoshi's Island Pipes is also good for Olimar :awesome:
Same. I feel like YI pipes is probably not fit for competitive play though. Either way, if they legalized a few of those stages that are "on the line" for competitive play, Oli would have an almost MK-worthy amount of CPs. Seriously, imagine being able to CP to Pipes, Green Greens, Weegees, and Pirate Ship, in ADDITION to our already great CPs in YI(B), CS, and Halberd.

:phone:

Blissard

Smash Lord
I hate YI:B solely because it's ugly, lol. I miss Pictochat. The only place where a Jigglypuff beat M2K :awesome:

Can someone explain why Green Greens is so good for us? The only glitches I know that we have there is throwing Pikmin so that they get stuck in blocks and die. :glare:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Low ceiling, for one. Inclosed areas where opponents have to approach us from above is amazing. Close blast zones on the top. Opponents have to land against us more than they normally do on other stages, and the platforms cover a good portion of the center stage, which is amazing for Olimar.

Few other small things, including wall combos (dsmash is really good for it. Throws aren't as good because the bounce tends to angle upwards after they hit the walls.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I hate YI:B solely because it's ugly, lol. I miss Pictochat. The only place where a Jigglypuff beat M2K :awesome:

Can someone explain why Green Greens is so good for us? The only glitches I know that we have there is throwing Pikmin so that they get stuck in blocks and die. :glare:
Pictochat isn't legal anymore?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Castle Siege is a starter now!? Awww yeeaahhh (h)

Yes I know, (h) no longer exists but it shall live on in our hearts as such forever

Blissard

Smash Lord
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANE!!!! :D
Low ceiling, for one. Inclosed areas where opponents have to approach us from above is amazing. Close blast zones on the top. Opponents have to land against us more than they normally do on other stages, and the platforms cover a good portion of the center stage, which is amazing for Olimar.

Few other small things, including wall combos (dsmash is really good for it. Throws aren't as good because the bounce tends to angle upwards after they hit the walls.
Never thought of it that way, thanks! Btw is it better to camp the middle or to the side? I like the sides cause of the close blastzones, but grabs aren't as effective there :(
Hack your wii and get a better skin for it.
I've tried actually, lol, and they don't really help. There aren't many; the 2 main ones being Nighttime YI:B and Emo YI:B. But still, I don't like it as much as Halberd or Picto.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
I've tried actually, lol, and they don't really help. There aren't many; the 2 main ones being Nighttime YI:B and Emo YI:B. But still, I don't like it as much as Halberd or Picto.
Well Halberd IS a much better CP for us.

Oh and happy birthday Jane.

:phone:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
good thing she was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an "L" on her forehead.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Our grabs are SO much more effective on the sides of YI, Blissard. Approaching Olimar when he's above you and his grabs are coming at a downward angle is a pain. Same said for the reverse, when he's below you and they're coming at an upward angle. It's one of the reasons YI is so good for us.

That said, it's better to stay near the center of the stage for most of the game, to take advantage of the fact that there's practically no ledges to force us to. It's best to Force the opponents towards the edges of the blast zones from the center, and then pressure them when their options are gone. Since Olimar's better at controlling the stage than he is at edgeguarding (not saying he's bad at edge guarding), the stage works out really well for him. Also if you're near the center-ish of the stage, you're able to take advantage of the usmash combos against the yellow blocks. It's similar to the ones on Luigi's Mansion, except you only get one (and it doesn't work if the first up smash is a yellow).

It's really hard think of anything that's legitimately a con for Olimar on this stage, lol.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Lack of ledges gives us more areas to run to. I'd rather play against falco on Pipes than a lot of stages XD

I'm also not sure how well he can CG us up the slant. The slants do help us a lot against his laser camping, though.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Lack of ledges gives us more areas to run to. I'd rather play against falco on Pipes than a lot of stages XD

I'm also not sure how well he can CG us up the slant. The slants do help us a lot against his laser camping, though.
yeah, but unfortunately it's not the CG's and laser camping alone that give him the advantage in this matchup. IMO YI is too small, puts me too close to him and i don't like being close :bee:

Blissard

Smash Lord
I was asking about Greens Greens actually lol, but the YI Pipe advice is helpful too XD All this stage talk makes me wanna bump the General Stage Discussion thread.

Also I finished Nana, it's a phenomenal anime. I really hope that they do decide to have a season 2, cause the ending seemed really rushed to tie up the loose ends.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Whoa .-. Yeah I completely shifted from GG to to YI, lol. And I can see what you mean about the edges being bad for Olimar's grabs. You do want to stay on the center area, though. And yeah, stage discussion's always been my favorite ^^

Glad you liked Nana! They're apparently going to make Season 2 when the manga finishes. And yeah, the ending did really feel rushed, and a bit of a cliffhanger, haha. Now I want to go read its manga X:

Top Bottom