• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

Engo

Smash Ace
I started last summer and I've been doing it every now and then ever since. I use an intuitive version of the Friedrich method and various random algorithms for OLL and PLL. My current best is 38 seconds, I believe.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
God I hate that tiny cube of death :mad:

I can't even do 3 sides. I rarely ever do 2 sides. I'm capable of doing 1 side though XD

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
I've been doing this awhile, want to get faster... my record is 23 seconds, but i got an OLL skip, my average is still around 33 seconds. Need to learn those algorithms, lol.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Nice to see some activity in here again!

Everyone's pretty fast now, that's really nice to see. OLL is really lame to memorize :'<

Also, i need to update the OP i suppose. My new personal best is 11 seconds. <3
God I hate that tiny cube of death :mad:

I can't even do 3 sides. I rarely ever do 2 sides. I'm capable of doing 1 side though XD
This is a common misconception! You don't solve by sides! XD You solve by the layers. So instead of solving each side, one by one, 6 times, you have to solve by layers, one by one, 3 times.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
yeah my friend kasumi taught me. the only algorithm i remember tho is the 2nd layer edge pieces tho i need to practice more xD.

his record is 52 seconds.

D

Deleted member

average of 1:25
I take about a minute for the first two layers since I'm terrible at cross making and then continue with keyhole method.
only requires like 6 algorithms though.

L__

Smash Master
My average used to be :50

then I stopped :(

I don't like it when people say "Oh, I can solve [insert number 2-5] sides! I can never get the last one though :/"

.______________."

global-wolf

Smash Champion
A guy on my bus can solve one in like 12 seconds O_o He has a bunch of special cubes too. 4x4, 7x7, ball shaped ones, irregular ones, hollow ones, you name it.

But I'm so good, I can solve one side in a minute OH YEAH

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I'm new to cubing myself. Got my first one almost two months ago. Started with Dan's beginner method from Youtube, but I'm on Fridrich now. I was Petrus for a while, but it seems like so much more work to orient all the bad edges for an easier last layer than it is to just learn more OLL's so I went back to Fridrich. Want to at least learn the basics of Roux before I get to sub-20 though.

I think I really just need more practice, because I'm using intuitive F2L, 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL, and I've seen people sub 20 with that before, and my PB average of 12 is :48 right now. I think most of my problem can be solved with a better last layer. I'm currently doing the cross in about 4 seconds, finishing F2L about 20 seconds later, then taking another 20 on the last layer. I know it shouldn't be taking me that long on the last layer, but my recognition is still really slow, only finishing learning all the algs a couple days ago.

Gotta keep practicing!

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been cubing for about 12 years, but I usually end up putting it down without getting much faster and then picking it back up a year later for another go. I always end up under a minute, but not by much. A few years ago, i was down to averaging about 50 seconds, but right now I'm at about 59 seconds.

my thing is that I'm too lazy to learn many OLLs so I get slowed down right there quite a bit. I only use maybe 4 algs tops in that step, so i have to do a few to OLL. Then on PLL, I use about 10 algs at this point, and if it's any of the other 12 (?) I figure out which two I can do of the ones I know to make it work, sometimes needing 3 if I can't figure it quickly.

Oh i get distracted too, because I made up 2 of my own solving methods for the 3x3x3: all corners first and all edges first. After learned the 4x4x4, 5x5x5, and the megaminx, I started noticing some tricks I could use on the 3x3x3 cube, and it got me thinking about these solutions. I haven't at all bothered trying to optimise by finding good algorithms for these steps. I just use the ones I already know. but it's pretty fun.

Corners first: I make an X on the white face, followed by an X on the bottom face using standard algs, ignoring where all the edges go. Then, I put 3 white edges in place and leave the 4th as a key hole. Then I use that keyhole to put in 3 yellow edges. Then I put the yellow edge in the white face, ready to be pushed into the yellow face. Then i get teh white edge ready so that when I push the yellow down, the white will fall in place. I'm left with the middle slice that needs edges permuted and oriented. I have one algorithm that tosses 3 of those edges, and another that flips 2. Thats it. It takes about 90 seconds for me to use this method when I'm just sitting around screwing around, and maybe 70 when i'm trying hard.

Edges first. I use the standard algs to place a cross on white, and then use the keyhole edge move for the 2nd layer of edges. Then I use standard algs (R'URUR'UUR) and (FRUR'U'F) to permute and orient those yellow edges. then i pitch 3 corners at a time, using R'ULU'RUL'U' I think. This permutes the corners. then I finally orient corners, 2 at a time using a corner flip that I picked up somewhere. It's basically
R'URUR'UUR and the same from the left side.
This edges first method takes a bit longer than the others because the corner permutes are slow, and I'm only using 1 alg for all permutes, and 1 alg for all orients. It'd be fun to get together with a good cuber and work on a few more algs to speed this process up considerably.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
whoa dastrn lol. Those are some pretty clever methods lmao.
I never took cubing as a hobby, looked boring.
it kinda stems off of curiousity...and then you ask yourself "hmm, i wonder if i can get under 5 minutes, then under 1 minute, then in under 30 seconds, under 20 seconds....under 10 seconds."

XD and during that time, it develops into a drug

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Man I wish I understood half of what you people talk about....

I saw this guy in detention doing a cube when the detention warden was gone though... he did it pretty quick actually. I'm pretty sure it was about 45-50 seconds though.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Bleh, looking at this thread is raising my temptation to take out my cube that has only ever been used like 3 times :p

**** tutorials sound hard even though they're for beginners...

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I can't believe I just found this thread! I spent 2-3 days three years ago learning how to do one, and kinda developed my own method from there. I can solve one as fast as 30 seconds and as long as a minute, usually.

I've always wanted to be one of those people who can solve one in about 12~ seconds, but I'd have to relearn all the algorithms.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Any Roux users here? I just learned it 2 days ago and I'm still getting the hang of it. Really, really fun, but there's a lot more thinking than on Fridrich it seems like. Less methodical and more intuitive. I'm thinking of making it my main method, but it's gonna take a lot of practice :p

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So... considering that I can't understand one thing that Youtube videos or internet tutorials tell me, would someone care to teach me the ways of the rotating cube?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I was thinking of making a tutorial haha. I think i have a unique way of explaining how it works.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Heyo

I'm new to cubing and plan to focus mostly on the 2x2, which I can solve through the corner strategy or w/e you wish to call it (which means I know the U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L and Ri Di R D algorithms).

My question being, if I wish to improve my solving speed, what are some good methods to use?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
My mother randomly offered me a cube today. I just resolved it for the first time (oh, the pride ! :laugh:).
I'm gonna try to speed things a little, with the help of a friend who's into speedcubing.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Gotta do a bit of bragging. I finally got an average of 12 below 30 seconds :) Roux method takes for-effing-ever to get faster with, but once you do the seconds just fly off every day.

So... considering that I can't understand one thing that Youtube videos or internet tutorials tell me, would someone care to teach me the ways of the rotating cube?
What specifically are you having trouble with? I got started here and after watching it a few times with a cube in hand I was able to get the gist of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQIoPyfQzM

If you can identify a little more clearly what it is that's giving you trouble I can help.

Heyo

I'm new to cubing and plan to focus mostly on the 2x2, which I can solve through the corner strategy or w/e you wish to call it (which means I know the U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L and Ri Di R D algorithms).

My question being, if I wish to improve my solving speed, what are some good methods to use?
Ortega and Guimond are the two most popular I believe. I don't really do much 2x2 speedsolving, I just mess with it for fun and use intuitive first layer and roux algorithms for the second layer.

Anyway, here's the links to descriptions:

http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Ortega

http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Guimond_Method

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Necro bumping this guy. I remember possibly posting in here ages ago so I knew this thread existed. I finally can solve the cube using a beginner method by memory now, so I guess this is where the real fun begins. Is anyone else out there still cubing =o

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I'll still do it every so often when I walk by my cube. Keeps the algorithms fresh I guess.

Still doing my old ****ty intermediate step method. Usually get 30-35 sec.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i stopped speedcubing for a a long time haha, but i got back into it briefly this summer. Cracked that 10 second barrier! huzzah

Top Bottom