• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Excellent work NoVa. I haven't speedcubed in months (inb4nojohns), so I'm probably at around the same times now. We should fight or something. xD

Where do you live? You're pretty lucky to have competitions around where you live. The only competitions in Red Deer is in Toronto. =(

Lapras

Smash Rookie
I can solve the 2x2 cube in like 1-3 minutes =/
Also, I have this pyramid one that I can solve in <30 seconds (it's really easy)

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Excellent work NoVa. I haven't speedcubed in months (inb4nojohns), so I'm probably at around the same times now. We should fight or something. xD

Where do you live? You're pretty lucky to have competitions around where you live. The only competitions in Red Deer is in Toronto. =(
Niagra Falls Open 2008 wasn't near you? You coulda seen Harris Chan in action ;p

Uhh its actually not that close to me, but its the closest i can go, im in DE but Drexel is about an hour or hour + 15 min. At least, this is the only one i know of, i haven't really searched thoroughly. I just stumbled upon the Drexel one.

So, any suggestions to my previous post? Or just strictly start working on OLL more over F2l or personal preference.

How long did it take you to get sub 20 avg for the first time?

istudying

Smash Lord
I have learned solving the rubik's cube from PogoBat on youtube i can do it in 1.38 min.
Does anywone know how to solve it quickly i could use some help tho.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
I have learned solving the rubik's cube from PogoBat on youtube i can do it in 1.38 min.
Pogobat's method is a different beginner's method. His method teaches you the most basic forms of the layer by layer method, with a different twist to it, as well as limiting the amount of algorithms you'd have to remember, just to make it easier.

If you want to get faster, you're going to have to switch methods

Look up Badmephisto

www.Badmephisto.com

you can also search on youtube for badmephisto

Start with his beginner's method, then work your way up little by little, he is one of the best teachers at the rubik's cube going into the Fridrich Method. The fridrich method is what you'll use to become faster.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Niagra Falls Open 2008 wasn't near you? You coulda seen Harris Chan in action ;p

Uhh its actually not that close to me, but its the closest i can go, im in DE but Drexel is about an hour or hour + 15 min. At least, this is the only one i know of, i haven't really searched thoroughly. I just stumbled upon the Drexel one.

So, any suggestions to my previous post? Or just strictly start working on OLL more over F2l or personal preference.

How long did it take you to get sub 20 avg for the first time?
Uh, lol. I'm pretty sure Niagra Falls is no where near Alberta. xD

You really want to have a solid understanding on F2L. It's definately the most important part since OLL and PLL is just memorization and fast execution. Once your F2L is around say, 15 seconds, memorize all of PLL and gradually memorize OLLs over time. Don't worry too much about OLL until you've figured out all of PLL and F2L.

mmm, probably around 6 months. xD

Oh god, Pogobat. Learning from his is fine for beginners I guess, just to get a good understanding on how the cube works and stuff. But his guide compared to thrawst's guide is like the Melee game manual compared to Wak's Advanced Techniques videos. xD

Badmephisto's tutorials are pretty good too i guess. =P

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
eh? your name changed

anyway, not including the cross, my f2l is actually around 15-16 seconds, depending on how well i do it. Sometimes 18, sometimes 20, but lately ive been getting it under 17 seconds most of the time.

oh and im guilty of learning from pogobat in the very beginning as well :)

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
bump...

btw Victra, i finally got my first sub 20 solve ^_^, 19.83

sadly i haven't learned any new OLLs yet cuz of my workload, so pretty much i just do some speed solves on breaks etc, and i guess that helps me with F2L while i do it.

But fat chance ill be able to come close to that any time soon, no OLL or PLL skip btw, just a clean solve with a good F2L. My average is still about the same.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yesss, good job! That wasn't too long was it. =P

I'm glad you're still into it, i sorta drifted away from speedcubing in favor or melee now though. QQ I should probably should start again. D=

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
what are you talkin bout, you're always into melee as long as your posting on these boards :p

im hosting a smashfest at my school this friday... too bad you're in canada :p

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
There's many techniques, but the one I used to finish the rubik's cude is to place colors row by row. I really can't help you out on this one, since this is not the way I've learned it.
Yup, more then 78 algorithms to solve a rubiks cube.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I got back into this again. =D I'm slow now though, and i forgot god knows how many OLLs. I'm like at 30 seconds. QQ

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I'm a speedcuber, I can do one side in 2 years :)

Rubik's cubes are ok, I don't really like it....

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
i can't get the hang of those things, nothin beat's a classic :p

btw victra i gotta find time to do it, so it may take a day or two before i post anything

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i can't get the hang of those things, nothin beat's a classic :p

btw victra i gotta find time to do it, so it may take a day or two before i post anything
XD I need time to train, and to break down my cube. So yeah, take your time.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
hey now i haven't improved at all since we last spoke in terms of learning new stuff... all i've been doing is doing solves casually just so i keep from going down a slope

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hey now i haven't improved at all since we last spoke in terms of learning new stuff... all i've been doing is doing solves casually just so i keep from going down a slope
I'm on my way up that slope. =P Nah, i'm pretty consistent at 30 seconds now. I just need to work like a mofo to bring it down hardcore.

Agi

Smash Lord
*introduces self to thread*

I've been cubing for almost a year now, learning it last Christmas Break. Not that it shows... despite my best efforts, my best time remains 40 seconds, averaging at around 50. However, I take pride in the fact that I figured out the 5*5 by my own.

So... there we go.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That's pretty good Paulleh. Canada represent. You should learn Fridrich, it's basically the same thing, but way more efficient.

My brother is 11 and he can solve it as fast as I can. QQ

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I hate rubriks cubes. They are nothing but memorization. That is why people can do them blindfolded. It is like playing a ******** instrument that does not do anything cool once you learn how. Go pick up drums or something and do something better with your time.
I feel ya bro .. same here .. thats why I play brawl. :)

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
VICTRA!!! SUUUPPPP!!!

I can only get two sides of the rubix cube correct LAWLZ! I suck at it T___T

Never did put in much time though.

I heard the best method is to try and get all 4 corners the same color on each side.

Dylanx928

Smash Rookie
I really want a rubiks cube. the most i have done is a slide puzzle and very well too. they are so fun, i imagine a rubiks cube is kinda like that, only a lot harder

Stahls

Smash Rookie
I do the Petrus method. When I was doing it consistently, I averaged about 1:10, with my best being a minute flat. I never managed to get under that barrier. I figured out most of the 4x4 on my own, but I still can't figure out how to fix the parity errors or whatever they're called.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
I do the Petrus method. When I was doing it consistently, I averaged about 1:10, with my best being a minute flat. I never managed to get under that barrier. I figured out most of the 4x4 on my own, but I still can't figure out how to fix the parity errors or whatever they're called.
thats why i got a 5x5 before i got a 4x4... and i still haven't tried a 4x4 yet...

on a 5x5 there is only 1 parity error you can possibly get, but i think you get it like 50% of the time.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Cool, never seen this thread before.

I've been cubing for over a year now. My best time is about...50-60 seconds, I suppose. Can't go any faster. For a gamer AND a pianist, I actually have extremely slow fingers. I can also solve 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5. But they're not all that hard to learn once you figure out the 3x3.

Cubing is boring, though, and after you learn how to do it it's just whoever has the fastest fingers (and that's why I gave up on it). It's all memorization, and once you learn how easy it is, it's not amazing to watch anymore. If you want to get better, you need to waste hours of your day learning new formulas to save you a few twists.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Cool, never seen this thread before.

I've been cubing for over a year now. My best time is about...50-60 seconds, I suppose. Can't go any faster. For a gamer AND a pianist, I actually have extremely slow fingers. I can also solve 2x2, 4x4, and 5x5. But they're not all that hard to learn once you figure out the 3x3.

Cubing is boring, though, and after you learn how to do it it's just whoever has the fastest fingers (and that's why I gave up on it). It's all memorization, and once you learn how easy it is, it's not amazing to watch anymore. If you want to get better, you need to waste hours of your day learning new formulas to save you a few twists.
Wow, no offense, but I never thought I'd hear a cuber talk like that....

EDIT:http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=hEGnUD6aVBk < mario cube :D

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
No offense taken. I don't see how that's offensive at all.

I did spread the love, though. I wrote my own super-simple cubing guide (most guides on the internet make you teach formulas that weren't necessary. Mine didn't). I gave this guide to tens of people at school. Once everybody started cubing, I stopped.

Every once in a while I'll take out my 3x3 and solve it once or twice, just for old time's sake.

Top Bottom