• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Novvaaaa. Are you still active? I started speedcubing and i'm still able to maintain a sturdy 15-25 second average. I'm prepared for our challenge. (:<

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I just learned how to do one of these, what should I do next once I get bored with solving them over and over

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You do them faster lol. Like under a minute, then around 45 seconds, then under 30, then in the 10s....then under the 10s.

And then you score with the ladies.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
And then you score with the ladies.
I can attest to this. Seriously.

Unfortunately I can only do the layer method, and I can only improve my speed by a min or so just from finger tricks, but to get sub-60 consistently I need to learn one of those intuitive methods...which I don't really have time for atm... :/

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
how do i get faster though, just practice?
How do you solve it? Do you use F2L, OLL and PLL?

*Picks up Rubik's Cube*

I can't get myself to practice, though.

What formula do you use, Victra? I mean, I'm not sure exactly how efficient the original layers formula I use is.
I use fridrich. What method do you use?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol i don;t know what my method is called... maybe i can explain it.

actually no I can't, how do I find out what method I use?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I start with the white cross, then the white corners. Those are easy.

Then I put in the second layer ledges, fixing a messed up white corner everytime I do so.

Then I do the yellow cross; to do this If the top yellow is in an L shape, I put the points of the L on the left and the back edge. Than i do the F R U R' U' F' algorithm. It should then be a line. I make the line horizontal and then do that algorithm again. Then it should be cross. But the cross is usually not in the right places. I do the R U R' U R U2 over and over until the colors of the cross are in the right place.

Than I put the corners in their respective places by using a R' U L U' R U L' U' algorithm.

Than I flip the corners to the right spot by doing this complicated thing that I dont feel like explaining.

see it's kind of hard to explain my process

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
See how fast will smith can solve it in amazing.:laugh:
Props to him. But his time is depressing compared to most nowadays. xD

I start with the white cross, then the white corners. Those are easy.

Then I put in the second layer ledges, fixing a messed up white corner everytime I do so.

Then I do the yellow cross; to do this If the top yellow is in an L shape, I put the points of the L on the left and the back edge. Than i do the F R U R' U' F' algorithm. It should then be a line. I make the line horizontal and then do that algorithm again. Then it should be cross. But the cross is usually not in the right places. I do the R U R' U R U2 over and over until the colors of the cross are in the right place.

Than I put the corners in their respective places by using a R' U L U' R U L' U' algorithm.

Than I flip the corners to the right spot by doing this complicated thing that I dont feel like explaining.

see it's kind of hard to explain my process
Oh I see. You could learn the Fridrich method. Check http://www.youtube.com/user/Thrawst
That guy has excellent tutorials.

If you really wanna get faster, you wanna learn fridrich. It's more fun cause you solve two layers entirely intuitively. (Without memorizing blahblah). But you also have to memorize like 70+ algorithms for the final permutations. =( It's a lot, but if you take it slow, you'll reach an average of 30 seconds after a few months guaranteed.

This method is a really nice mix. You have to be able to understand and permute the cube using logic, and then you execute algorithms as fast as you can. It's so hot.

Overload

Smash Lord
I just picked up a cube yesterday. Does anyone here solve it without using algorithms? I'd like to learn the logic of the cube before I start memorizing algorithms.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You can do about 2/3s of it intuitively, as for the last layer, solving it intuitively is tedious and takes too long.

To learn how to solve the first two layers, check this link out. http://www.cubefreak.net/Fridrich/main.html
You're gonna have to take some time to conceptually understand how the cube works, and this is definitely the best way to learn so. If it's confusing, let me know.

If you don't want to memorize any algorithms at all, then you can solve the last layer using the beginner method I suppose. http://www.stanford.edu/~leyanlo/Beginner_Solution.html

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I solved one once in about a week.But I picked one up a while ago and did it in an hour just by doing it.

Pathetic compared to the greats I know but Ive only picked it up twice.

I definitly couldnt hack the speed runs though,its just......too much.(Plus my maths is garbage :) )

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
When I was only solving at around 2 minutes, I never thought I could get to the point where I can solve it in 20 seconds. But eventually I did. You should try =)

It has nothing to do with math lol.

Overload

Smash Lord
You can do about 2/3s of it intuitively, as for the last layer, solving it intuitively is tedious and takes too long.

To learn how to solve the first two layers, check this link out. http://www.cubefreak.net/Fridrich/main.html
You're gonna have to take some time to conceptually understand how the cube works, and this is definitely the best way to learn so. If it's confusing, let me know.

If you don't want to memorize any algorithms at all, then you can solve the last layer using the beginner method I suppose. http://www.stanford.edu/~leyanlo/Beginner_Solution.html

Thanks I'll check that out now.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
*Starts whistling*
Bought one..
Solved it on several occasions but with help from online sources..
I solve it by layers..
I can only solve the first two layers, the edges and one corner.. Otherwise I need to look at an algorithm to solve it.
Wow this was a while ago.. Well I can solve it from memory now. Or used to.. The thing is in my school bag and it's packed somewhere so I don't know where it is, I may have forgotten how to solve it. My personal record was like a minute twenty I think.. All went down hill from there though, my cube is really... Sticky, not sticky like if you touch it then your fingers will stick. It doesn't turn smoothly and if the squares are even a little off then you can't turn it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
nawwwwwwwww. This thread isn't that old. Saying this thread is old makes me feel old T_T

In recent news, I speedcubed a lot last term cause I met a friend who speedcubes relatively fast. Other than that, I haven't played with it all too much. My average really suffered for it...dropping from high 10's low 20's to like....mid 20's, sometimes low 30's. Not good. :X

Plus, last year I had my friend's eastsheen 5x5 rubik's cube for a few months. That thing was sex. <3 I miss it lots T_T

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Yeah I haven't been here in a while and just started scrolling through the subscriptions and didn't notice how old this was. It was right after some posts from this year.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Weren't you in your local paper or smething for speed cubing
yeah. hah. Good times.
My best method is throwing it out the window. Seriously, how the **** does anyone solve these things?
I can teach you! =D Solving it is really easy if you solve it intuitively as opposed to mindless steps and instructions.

That, and solving it intuitively frees you from the time limitations of step-by-step solving.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah sure Igcoris =D When I come up for Evan's tourney, i'll show you some stuff ^^

@jam: yeah there isn't. They give you general algorithms that you memorize, so you can slowly put together the rubik's cube bit by bit. Even then, I still suggest doing it intuitively rather than using instructions. Regardless of time, it's much more satisfying and easier imo.

You just have a stronger idea of how the cube works if you do it that way. It's pretty awesome.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
k. sorry for the double post and stuff, but like...

I just got a 11.89 seconds solve just now and i'm like freaking out.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
if i remember correctly, its 7.08 seconds by some netherlands guy at a czech event back in '08.

harris chan got really close at the toronto events with 7.33 seconds though, a few weeks ago.

rpotts

Smash Lord
I just got back into cubing a few weeks ago, when my friend David Woner (big cubing name in america) lent me a few of his good speedcubes. Just tonight I beat my PB with an 18.05.

I use Fridrich, with a 2 look OLL (14/57 OLL) and almost full PLL (16/21)

Best avg of 12 - 26.08

UberMario

Smash Master
I can't solve these things for the life of me, one of my friends however can solve it in under half-a-minute each time.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Well this takes me back to high school. speed cubing was a great way to pass time after the AP's

Are we limiting talk to just 3 cubes or can we go into 4 and higher and talk about parity...I still haven't figured out how to deal with that on a 4 cube

Top Bottom