• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I love this thing. Is anyone else a speedcuber? Share records, tips and methods. =)

As you can see from the date of this post, i've been cubing for a little more than a year now. I use the fridrich method and my best time is 14 seconds. My best one-handed record is 33 seconds. xD I'd really like to thank everyone in this thread. You guys really helped.

cF=)

Smash Lord
There's many techniques, but the one I used to finish the rubik's cude is to place colors row by row. I really can't help you out on this one, since this is not the way I've learned it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The way I solve the Rubik's cube is by solving the top face and the first "layer" first, then solving the second "layer" leaving the third layer and bottom face all messed. Then i start making a cross on the bottom face. once i'm done that step, all thats left is the four corners of the bottom face. D: Thats where i get really stuck

_umbra_

Smash Champion
The way I solve the Rubik's cube is by solving the top face and the first "layer" first, then solving the second "layer" leaving the third layer and bottom face all messed. Then i start making a cross on the bottom face. once i'm done that step, all thats left is the four corners of the bottom face. D: Thats where i get really stuck
I use that method too, but I can barely solve it in under 2 minutes on a good day :(...... My pre-calculus class did this for most of the year instead of... learning. lol

mark.

Smash Journeyman
are you talking about the top 4 corners on the top side of the cube (usu. yellow)?

if so, then if theres one yellow corner put it in the bottom-left corner and do RTR'TRT''R'
- if there isnt a 1 yellow corner, put a non-yellow corner in the bottom left and do the alg. until you get 1 yellow corner.
-usually, you would do it and that yellow corner moves to the top-right, just move it back to the bottom left and do the alg. again. wala :D

if your talking about the top corners on the top layer of the cube (facing out), thats a much much longer explanation.

((this is using the F2L method lol))

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i have the bottom and the second layer solved completely but i need help with the top layers corners.
I have the corners in the right spot, i just need to flip it, if you get what i mean. D:

cF=)

Smash Lord
This website might help you out, even if it's in french ;)

--> http://cyril.webzzanine.net/cube/

Step 4. and 5. are the places you need to look at. If you need help to translate the explanations, I'll be there. But try with the animations first.

SandStorm7

Smash Cadet
I hate rubriks cubes. They are nothing but memorization. That is why people can do them blindfolded. It is like playing a ******** instrument that does not do anything cool once you learn how. Go pick up drums or something and do something better with your time.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I hate rubriks cubes. They are nothing but memorization. That is why people can do them blindfolded. It is like playing a ******** instrument that does not do anything cool once you learn how. Go pick up drums or something and do something better with your time.
This guys probably a special-ed student. He probably hates the cube cause he can't even solve one side. LOL "rubriks."

Edit: Anyone know how to lubricate a Rubik's Cube?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
kay, well i heard from that you could wreck the cube and the stickers would wreck if you do it wrong. lol

p.s. Can't find anything

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Just so you guys know, vidoes of people solving Rubik's Cubes online can be fake. Blind people have special ones with little bumps on them which allows the player to know what's going on simply by feeling. I'm not saying that it is impossible, just something you ought to know. (if that was what you meant by modding a rubik's cube them forget this post:))

Oh, and I'm terrible at these.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
thera re thsoe chinese brothers who cvan solve it in 19 seconds

thoguh since it's just muscle memory i'm not that impressed

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Heh, my brother does them, but not sure how. I know you want to get the top layer, and make a T shape of the colors down the side. Then solve the second layer. He always was stuck on the third, and simply solved it by doing on thing over and over and over, but he has since a quicker way.

I'll ask him over the weekend

hyyde

Smash Rookie
I had a friend who could do them in under 35-45 seconds. He even had a 4x4x4 variation he could do pretty quickly, and a 5x5x5 version that he had a bit more trouble with. He used to bring in these packets of information on how to do them, and he'd just sit there at lunch figuring them out; eventually he got really good. He lubricated his with WD40. He was a strange fellow; he didn't talk much, but people would flock around him and watch him complete the 'cubes.

As for me, I can't stand them; I have yet to complete one in my life, not including the times I've just dissembled it unsolved and reassembled it solved.

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
I can solve them in one second.
just move one row out of place, and then move it back.

other than that, yes, those are fun, but aggravating at times, kind of like Sudoku.

EDIT: no, my mom gave it away before I could re-solve it. I had lost it previous

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
I've never even gotten close, I'll think I'm going to be close, but all of a sudden it'll be messed up horribly, and I give up. :(

Haining

Smash Rookie
asian people have the edge, idk why.

some kid at my school was looking someone in the face explaining how to solve a rubiks cube, while doing it.

If i was gonna lube it, i'd use wd-40

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
I can do it consistantly in the 30-35 second range. I solve it using F2L. I know all of the PLLs and most of the OLLs.

For modding, you can take the cube apart, lube it with silicone spray, and/or you could sand it down a little bit. Sometimes you need to play with the springs a little bit for it to be even on all the sides.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah i did exactly that a few days ago. It works a lot better now. i still don't understand how to do it in less then 40 seconds. I usually do it in 50 seconds to a minute now.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
taken out of context, lmao ^

wd-40 supposedly eventually disintigrates the plastic giving you a useless cube. I never used it, but my friend did, and after several months, his cube just kinda sucked.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
Well my bro taught me to solve it, and i can solve in about 2:30 but my fastest is 2:00. What i do is by layers like you said earlier, but on the bottom i first match the corners (not going to explain) and then i look for patterns and i do different things for each pattern. Janitor what way do you do it, because u said u can solve under 1 minute....

Kai_

Smash Journeyman
I finished two faces of it when I was resting my eyes, lol.

Whoever finishes the cube has aid of h4x.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Well my bro taught me to solve it, and i can solve in about 2:30 but my fastest is 2:00. What i do is by layers like you said earlier, but on the bottom i first match the corners (not going to explain) and then i look for patterns and i do different things for each pattern. Janitor what way do you do it, because u said u can solve under 1 minute....
The way i solve the Rubik's cube is by doing the Fridrich method, which is the method primarily used by speedcubers. I think i mentioned this somewhere before but basically, the way i do it is by solving the first layer, usually the white face first. In the past, i solved a cross first and then the corners, but now i've just been solving it all at once. Once thats done, about 20-30 seconds or so has elapsed. Something i think i can probably improve on tremendously. >.<

After i finish the first layer, i solve on the second layer which takes about 5-10 seconds. At the moment though, i've been trying to learn the Fridrich F2L thing.
Anyways, after thats done, I move on to solving the last layer. I do so by solving a cross and then moving the corners into the right spot and then solving the corners, thus solving the cube.
So once i finished the cube, my time is usually around 50 seconds to a minute.
Before i lubricated my cube and began practicing some finger tricks, my time was about a minute and 40 seconds to around 2 minutes.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Really? You should learn how to do it so that after you do the cross, you do the first two layers at the same time. That's how I do it, which is what I think you're talking about (the fridrich f2l). That'll make your time fall so fast.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah, i'm having more trouble learning the F2L then the other algorithms

Edit: Scratch that, this is the hardest thing i've done so far. xD

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I can solve one, but I dont think people solve it in under 10 seconds without memorization, I believe the record is about 15-16 seconds. I can solve it in about 1:55 though. I do the seven step method unfortunately, making a cross, solving the corners, flip it upside down and solve the middle layer edges, make the cross on the new top, place the corners and put the corners in the right position. Its on the paper that came with it :p I just figured out how to shorten some of the steps and such.

psicicle

Smash Ace
The record is around an average of 14 seconds over 10 tries.

The rubik's cube is not easy to solve quickly. There is some muscle memory required, but in a lot of respects it takes a great deal of experience. Memorization is only part of it, you have to be able to think extremely quickly.

I cheated on the 3x3x3... I followed the instructions, and memorized them. I can do it in around 2 mins or so. I'm working on the 4x4x4 without cheating, and so far I have solved it once by luck but I usually get into this:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z259/psicicle/Picture7.jpg

Top Bottom