• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

inside

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I have the **** cube, I only have the yellow and green done. My mind was tired after I got that in such a long time. I might go and take it for a spin again.

D0C.MARI0

Smash Rookie
i did it
here you go!

and no i didnt take the stickers off!
its just an old cube!

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I was going to order a 4x4 and 2x2 cube, supposedly hearing that eastsheen is best for those. So I go to www.eastsheen.com.tw or something like that, but I see no way to order the product from that site, it just describes the product. Anyone know how to order from them? :/ I even tried rubiks.com and the only things out of stock were those two sizes of cubes :(

Side note: Got my fastest 3x3 solve down to 54.88 seconds :D

Sephiroth M

Smash Apprentice
Im pretty calm, unlike my cousin who gets mad if he doesn't win every single match in Halo 2, then says hes lagging if he loses. I decided to take a break from it only to find that its broken all of a sudden.

Yeah

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Im pretty calm, unlike my cousin who gets mad if he doesn't win every single match in Halo 2, then says hes lagging if he loses. I decided to take a break from it only to find that its broken all of a sudden.

Yeah
What did that have to do with this thread?....

I was going to order a 4x4 and 2x2 cube, supposedly hearing that eastsheen is best for those. So I go to www.eastsheen.com.tw or something like that, but I see no way to order the product from that site, it just describes the product. Anyone know how to order from them? :/ I even tried rubiks.com and the only things out of stock were those two sizes of cubes :(

Side note: Got my fastest 3x3 solve down to 54.88 seconds :D
Any answers?

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I had a Rubik's Cube once, but it soon vanished with all the other useless stuff in my basement =_= I couldn't solve it. I'm not patient enough and get angry quite easily

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Does anyone know where i can get a 2x2, 4x4, or 5x5 rubik's cube? I can only find 3x3.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
ugh, i'd rather buy one at the store though : /

LOL whaaat. I'm happy now that i've gotten 42 seconds. xD

Jammer

Smash Lord
Heh, there was a point in my life when I was absolutely obsessed with the Rubik's Cube. I would bring it with me everywhere. People made fun of me, but their astonishment when I solved it in 40 seconds made up for it.

I know that 40 seconds isn't really that good of a time, but I never looked at instructions or methods or whatever. I figured out what to do from trial and error.

The first time I solved it it took me about one and a half hours. It's really not that hard if you just think it through carefully instead of going crazy and moving everything around.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
I've tried solving a rubix cube before tons of times and haven't even got close. Not even one side solved. I don't understand how someone can solve it, but I want to learn how really badly.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, Barbeque, if you couldn't even solve one side, it may mean that your brain just isn't wired to solve Rubik's Cubes.

But there are plenty of sites with step-by-step instructions for solving your cube. Just Google it up.

Once you learn a method and practice it a bit, you'll be able to solve any cube in less than 5 minutes.

Good luck.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Isn't there an algorithm to solve any Rubik's cube? I had a friend that could do them in under a minute. It looked really impressive, but he said it wasn't hard at all. You just have to memorize the pattern.

bossyjellyfish

Foxes Mate for Life
My friend can do it very well, he brings it to school, and is getting a DIY cube. Yes, you do have to memorize some algorithms.

Jammer

Smash Lord
There are many, many different methods for solving the Rubik's Cube. There are even different categories of solutions, such as ones where you solve the first two rows first, and ones where you build onto a 2x2x3 cube, and stuff like that. With some, you have to memorize tons of stuff, and with some, you have to think a lot.

The best solvers can consistently do it in under 20 seconds, I believe.

Doing it in under a minute is easy. I was getting it done in 60 seconds after about 2 or 3 days of practice. I got it down to about 40 seconds before I got bored of it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Isn't there an algorithm to solve any Rubik's cube? I had a friend that could do them in under a minute. It looked really impressive, but he said it wasn't hard at all. You just have to memorize the pattern.
Contrary to popular belief, there isn't some "universal" god-sent pattern that will automatically solve the cube. However, there are a few algorithms you can use here and there, but in order to use them, you need know when to use them, how to set up the cube so you can do it, and you have to do this extremely quickly and manually. A good example of this is the solving of the first 2 layers.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, I would mostly disagree with you there, Janitor.

There is no single "best" algorithm, of course. I agree with that.

But there are algorithms that minimize that amount of thinking you have to do so much that a trained monkey could easily solve it. I mean, the easiest algorithm out there has you make a cross, which is a piece of cake (they will also give you comprehensive hints on doing it), then put in the corners by repeating a very simple sequence, then put in the edges, which is also very simple, then working on the top cross, then doing the top corners.

At no point does the person solving the cube actually have to think "well, if I make this move, then this will get messed up..." Instead, you just find the piece you need, do a sequence on it, and it's solved.

It's not like you have a toolbox of move sequences that you have to decide when and where to use. Nobody solves the cube like that, unless if they don't care about time limits, or they aren't aware of any systematic way of solving it (like I was when I first solved it). Instead, it's always a step-by-step process that can be so fine-grained that it's mostly just finding the piece and doing a specific sequence of moves on it.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Old thread but my best time is now 13.77 (pll skip) but I average about 19-20...big improvement over the course of this thread :p I also have several new cubes. A 5x5, 4x4, megaminx, pyraminx, 2x2, and square 1 :).

D13

Smash Ace
Some people can look at each side, blindfold themselves, and then solve it insanely fast. It's scary.

I think my mom knows how to solve it. They're fun to mess around with every once in a while.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I wanna hear some improvements! When i made this thread, i struggled to get under a minute, but now, i'm able to do it it a quarter of the time. I've been doing it one-handed mainly now, averaging around a sluggish 50 seconds. Haven't tried to do it blindfolded. My brain would probably explode.

Grandeza! I'll totally teach you : O

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Janitor you're killing me in one handed, how are you doing in 2 handed? Also, I just released two videos on the first two steps of solving it blindfolded :).

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Oh really? Post them links!

My two handed time is 15 seconds, but thats when i was playing Melee competitively. Now with Brawl out, my time has dropped to 20 - 30 secs. Ziiiiing!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Okay! Thanks much.

Edit: I'm still a little confused about it. I'm pretty sure I got the corner orientation, but the part about the edges is a little confusing.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I avarage about 40 seconds but my fastest is 35.

heres a video(its from along time ago but its my only online video. It back when i took over a minute to solve them. I was about 2 weeks into learning how to solve it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLn6_cd2vUY

I haven't speed solved in along time but i still know how to solve and own 1 2x2x2, 3 3x3x3, 1 4x4x4, and 1 5x5x5.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
What exactly don't you get, Janitor? You can get a little bit more info from the blindsolving section at www.cubefreak.net . That's where I learned from. (Yeah I was a little rough describing the edges in that vid.)

Grandeza

Smash Master
If someone can link me to a guide or something I'd never be able to repay you. I've been trying for a while and I've never gotten it. I'm not exactly the smartest person. My sister got a 2x2 Rubik's cube once and I couldn't solve that either. Any assistance will be most appreciated.

~rh

Smash Lord
I've been playing with this Rubik's Cube my brother has and I can get one side. Thats about it. :laugh:

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I never really played with a Rubiks cube when i was little, then around october i got obssesed with a glitter colored one that one of my teachers had and i used it so much that my eyes got burned and i started seeing the same color in most the the squares and when i looked around i saw everything in dim colors... I don't ever want to get near one again... and no i was not on drugs i have vision problems...

Top Bottom