• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rubik's Cube

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I learned how to solve about 6 months ago, and I've been seriously speedcubing for a month or so. I do cross, f2l, orient edges, orient corners, pll. I haven't gotten around to memorizing oll yet. I average low mid 30s to low 40s, with a best time of 31.

The beginner's solution I previously used can be found here

EDIT: More recently, I've been getting in the 30s, with a best time of 27. I'm pretty sure I've gotten faster times, but I don't clock myself that often

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Does anyone have good sites they can recommend for learning how to multislot?

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is a GREAT website for any beginner or expert to increase their speed

http://lar5.com/cube/

Step by step instructions on how to do each layer, as well as very nice Java cube applets. Each step has beginner/intermediate/expert ways to do it. The expert way is always the fastest way, but usually involves memorizing cube posititions/moves.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Bah, thats the Petrus method. This is why I don't like it when people go to the internet to find ways to solve the Rubik's Cube, especially when they want to become a Speedcuber.

Fridrich > Petrus.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Any of you been to an official tournament? I'd never been till I went to Chattahoochee, Georgia in March. One of my friends was like "Wanna take a road trip?" I didn't really want to, but I eventually caved. It was pretty cool. It was the first time I'd ever seen anyone solve it in 11 seconds... Jason Baum and Andrew Kang were there. I also got to meet Chris Hardwick, he's a really cool guy.

Anyways, the whole semester we had been planing our own, my friend and I set one up at Stetson University in Florida, and it was pretty fun. Jason Baum came down again, and our delegate was Bob Burton. It was pretty cool, I guess.

Anyone else been to an official tournament?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Only Official Tournament in Canada is in Toronto and I live in Alberta. D:
Even if I go, i'd probably be more interested in the one-handed solve competition since i'd be able to crack the top 100.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
wow... I can solve one... but im NOT a speedcuber... i use the layer method and I get it done in about a minute and twenty seconds

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
If anyone has the film 'Pursuit Of Happiness' on dvd go the the extras bit and you see people solving them blindfolded and in ridicoulous timing and some guy solving it with one hand

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I actually had a dream about some one inventing a rubik's rectangle and I couldn't solve it for the life of me. The stupid yellow and green sides just wouldn't match up!

And I don't believe I've ever solved a cube, though admittedly I've only tried once or twice.

1337ZSS

Smash Apprentice
Never have. I could never actually solve one of those, or understand how. Maybe I just never really tried xD

RedKnight

Smash Ace
Oooh update! I may not be a speecuber but i got a book on it... now I just gotta memorize over a 100 algorithms :/

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Fridrich doesn't have much algorithms to memorize. : / Plus it's mainly intuitive anyways, except for the last layer.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Well, for Fridrich, F2L is all intuitive. You shouldn't need to know any algorithms for it, and it's easy to solve any of the possible cases with practice. When I was learning OLL, I only memorized the ones that had a "cross" in it, and then i expanded from there. PLL was easy, it's only 21 algorithms to memorize and a lot of them are inverses and mirrors. OLL and PLL is just memorization and fast execution.

Here's a break down of my time to give you a general:
Cross - 2 seconds
F2L - 12 seconds
-3 seconds per corner
OLL - 3 seconds
PLL - 3 seconds

Total - 20 seconds.

You need to practice F2L more than anything. I'm trying to bring it down consistently under 10 seconds, and OLL/PLL down to 2 seconds.

rubiksfriend

Smash Apprentice
Here's my breakdown:
1) 1x2x3- 6-8 seconds
2) 1x2x3- 6-8 seconds
3) CMLL (Orientation and Permutation separately for those I don't know)- 6-9 seconds
4) Orient edges, finish L/R sides, finish midges- 4-6 seconds.

Speed comes from the first two blocks and I need to work on those and the CMLL cases (orienting and permuting corners in one stop). I like the blocks. More freedom than F2L.

__Lewis__

Smash Cadet
I hate rubriks cubes. They are nothing but memorization. That is why people can do them blindfolded. It is like playing a ******** instrument that does not do anything cool once you learn how. Go pick up drums or something and do something better with your time.
Different strokes for different folks.
And I'm pretty sure you're implying that you play drums and therefore is better than everyone else.
I am exactly the same as everyone else, the last time I checked.

~L~

Smash Cadet
Has anyone ever attempted to solve the 5 or 6 row cube?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
k, double post but, i just found Tyson Mao's facebook page.

*squeals like a fan-boy*

huenikad

Smash Cadet
I can solve the 3 by 3 in about 2 minutes now. I'm trying a 5 by5 by5 but i'm not gettin very far with it yet.

M@v

Subarashii!
Im not good at rubiks cubes, i can only solve sides. MY one friend is really good at cubes. He averages like 30-40 seconds.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I solved one once it took me all day and Ive never picked up one since.........and dont plan on doing it ever again.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
So, i just got at 14 seconds on the 3x3 xP Fridrich > Other methods. lololol i'm kidding Rubiksfriend.
Anyways, i recently got a 5x5 and i'm able to solve it in 4 - 5 minutes. Any tips to speed up my time? I have a hard time edge pairing, and the cube itself is crazy stiff. Should I take it apart and lube it? I heard it's really difficult to put back together.

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
So, i just got at 14 seconds on the 3x3 xP Fridrich > Other methods. lololol i'm kidding Rubiksfriend.
Anyways, i recently got a 5x5 and i'm able to solve it in 4 - 5 minutes. Any tips to speed up my time? I have a hard time edge pairing, and the cube itself is crazy stiff. Should I take it apart and lube it? I heard it's really difficult to put back together.
If your 5x5 is from Rubiks.com - DON'T DO IT
Taking it apart will only make it more likely to catch and pop, and even break
Rubiks.com 5x5s are of suprisingly low quality, even the stickers are bad
However, I've heard good things about V-Cube http://www.v-cubes.com/

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If your 5x5 is from Rubiks.com - DON'T DO IT
Taking it apart will only make it more likely to catch and pop, and even break
Rubiks.com 5x5s are of suprisingly low quality, even the stickers are bad
However, I've heard good things about V-Cube http://www.v-cubes.com/

wow. I have got to say, those are the sexiest things I've ever seen in my life. Especially that 7x7, i nearly came when I first saw that. I wish i'd known that earlier before I blew $50 on my current 5x5. (Not to mention ordering new stickers from Cubesmith.) TT_TT

So I guess i'm stuck with a crappy stiff 5x5 now. It's loosening up though :/

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
Moo... here i'm posting in your thread ^^

Were you able to see anything from my vids that you can warrant any tips for?

I know the angle isn't the greatest because my big hands are in the way. I'm working as best as i can without a tripod :x

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The most important thing to do for F2L is to look ahead. Take it a little slower than normal and look ahead for the next corner/pair. OLL and PLL is just fast execution so just memorize them all if you havent already, especially the PLLs. This will improve through enough practice. Just practice, practice! Practice F2L by itself, and bring your time down to around 10s. Try doing it slow with as little moves as possible.

I have no youtube vids though. I only have vids on facebook. :3

JrdnS

Smash Ace
how do you do it in 14 seconds. it takes me like 1.40. is there any good site on the method you use janitor?

Top Bottom