• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's True Combos

I've managed to get sweetspot jab to combo into Blazer at higher percents. For Ganondorf, it starts around 85% and ends at around 138%. You need to be extremely close for it to work though, so I don't know how practical it is. If you want to go a step further, you can first hit Nair-Jab-Blazer, but that's even more impractical.
Oooooooooo I am loving it. It's working well on fastfallers when I angle it forwards and works as a kill for them. I'll add this to the post.

Is D-throw -> Jab -> F-tilt/F-smash not guaranteed? I've been getting that all day.
It seems to very situationally true combo from what I'm testing, but it's really nice when it does.

Thought I'd repost this here:

Zatchiel said:
These start at around 20%-40%, for reference.

U-air -> any aerial that isn't d-air, it seems

U-air -> f-air -> f-air (deals 31% if you manage to hit with the last f-air sweetspotted)

U-air -> b-air -> f-air

U-air -> b-air -> u-air

U-air -> b-air -> u-air -> u-air (39%, if all are sweetspotted)

I'll admit the last one shocked me. U-air works so beautifully with b-air at low/mid percents.
These are really good, thank you for these and some three-hit combos. I'll flesh out the uair section more.

I'm 99% sure it's confirmed, at least at 0% on Mario
I tried at 1/4 speed to make sure it wasn't just user error and it does not true combo at 0% on Mario. Unfortunately, none of it works =(

Last edited:

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Thought I'd repost this here:

I'll admit the last one shocked me. U-air works so beautifully with b-air at low/mid percents.
What's the setup on that Uair -> Bair -> Uair combo? From the ground, platform? Sweetspot or not? When do you jump? Can't seem to get it to work.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out.

Last edited:

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I know this isn't guaranteed, but at mid percent I landed fthrow dair-spike on a DDD. I feel like that can be a good mix-up if people start di'ing away from fthrow nair

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I know this isn't guaranteed, but at mid percent I landed fthrow dair-spike on a DDD. I feel like that can be a good mix-up if people start di'ing away from fthrow nair
F-throw is also really good, not as good as D-throw but it's really good for tech chasing mid %.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
F-throw is also really good, not as good as D-throw but it's really good for tech chasing mid %.
Yeah. I'm finding myself gravitating to this throw almost as much as Down throw. If they try to DI away from your down throws mix in an Fthrow and they'll fall right into a tech chase. You can then trick them into DI'ing up from your dthrows which will let you get followups like up B or aerials. Great mindgame potential here.

Also, his throw game is exponentially better on fast fallers. You can do sort of pseudo chain throws against spacies/captain falcon by linking from other moves into another throw. It's pretty fun stuff.

While we're on the topic of tech chases, I find Dtilt to be really good for this too. The only issue is that it seems kinda hard to punish a successful tech with this unless you anticipate it. So you essentially have to score a read since you need to dash to get fast enough and you just don't have enough options out of dash to cover all tech options.

bytesh1ft

Smash Rookie
Dthrow > jab (chain as many as you can get on that character at 0%) > Dthrow > upb
Note: Dthrow to upb is hard to get on charizard (I suspect that you have like 3 frames) and impossible on bowser however you can do a ridiculous grab chain on bowser (Dthrow > jab) then fthrow to dash attack for ridiculous damage

Last edited:

EonBlitz

Smash Rookie
NNID
arrudafam
3DS FC
1951-0234-0103
Combos/Strings I've pulled off (tested on Mario)...NOT ALL OF THESE ARE TRUE COMBOS...SOME ARE STRINGS WHICH ARE ESCAPABLE BY PROBABLY A FRAME OR 2! I'm assuming some of them are barely escapable, some are true combos as well. Not really wanting to research percent starts and endings but i will start from lower percent to higher percent. Hopefully this will be a good step into looking at Roy's combo and string potential.

Jab > Jab (12%)
FF Nair First Hit (1H) > Jab > Side B's (Does 28%)
Down Throw > Jab > Side B's (26%)
FF Nair 1H > Jab > Jab (20%)
FF Nair 1H > Jab > Grab > Down Throw > Jab > Jab (32%)
FF Nair 1H > Down Throw > Jab (18%)
FF Nair 1H > Down Throw > Sour Spot Up Tilt (18%)
Down Throw > Jab (12%)
Down Throw > Sweet Spot Up Tilt (17%)
FF Sweet Spot Up air > Sweet Spot Up tilt (21%)
FF Sweet Spot Up Air > Jab (13%)
Sour spot FF Up Air > Turnaround Grab > Down Throw > Jab (18%)
Forward Throw > Dash Attack (18%)
FF Nair 1H > Up Tilt (18%...a kill setup that works at almost any percent...use to nab a kill at around 110% or 115%)

Jab > Ftilt (16%)
FF Nair 1H > Jab > Sweet Spot Ftilt (22%)
FF Nair 1H > Jab > Sourspot Ftilt (18%)
FF Sour Spot Up Air > Turnaround Grab > Down Throw > Sweet Spot Up Air (20%)
Sweet Spot FF Up Air > Up Smash (27%)
FF Sweet Spot Up Air > Sour Spot Up Tilt (16%)
FF Sweet Spot Up Air > Full Hop Sweet Spot Back Air (21%)

Jab > Sour Spot Fair (14%)
Jab > RAR Sweet Spot Back Air (19%, Kill Combo...Tight on timing)
FF Sour Spot Up Air > Nair (20%, Kills at higher kill percents)
FF Sweet Spot Nair 1H > Sweet Spot Down Smash (21%, Kill Combo)
FF Nair 1H > Up B (22% Kill Combo)
FF RAR Sour Spot Up Air > Sweet Spot Back Air (18%, Kills)
FF Sour Spot Up Air > Side B's (22%, Kill Combo but must connect all side b hits)
FF Nair 1H > Side B's (22%, Kill Combo but must connect all side b hits)
FF Nair 1H > Grab > Up Throw (12%, Kills at around 150% i believe, probably less with rage and everything)
Sour Spot Up tilt > Grab > Up Throw (12%, Kill Setup)
Jab > Side Angled Up B (23%, Kill Combo, hard to pull off)

I know there are other setups based on videos and such above but this is what I found...hope this helps! :]

-Eon

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
So far for me, Dgrab> Utilt> Grab seems pretty legit. Tried it online on some players. I've tried the second grab to be another Dgrab> another Utilt> Blazer...or just go straight Blazer. Sometimes it connects if the opponent isn't quick to DI or something other.

Higher percentages I try Fthrow>SH>Fair and from there get a read. Not sure if there's anything else to do from there.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Any ideas of how to approach with him. Is shfh fair a good option? As it could lead to all of these combos. Any other options?? Also when u use fair and go for the regrab, do u fast fall the fair?
Cut that out

DailyDose

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0490-5872-8349
At 0%, 2nd hit of Nair > UpB works for a guaranteed 25%

Against pretty much anyone taller than Mario you can get in both hits of Nair > UpB for guaranteed 31%

smesty

Smash Cadet
At super low % (0-5%) I'm finding this string to be effective...

Dthrow > uptilt > jab > Fsmash

It's not a "true" combo but it's pretty trendy regardless.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
At super low % (0-5%) I'm finding this string to be effective...

Dthrow > uptilt > jab > Fsmash

It's not a "true" combo but it's pretty trendy regardless.
I like using at 0-10%, D-throw > Jab > F-smash, it works on most of the cast with no rage.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
That reminds me, Nair combos into itself really well at low percents. I've managed to get Nair-Nair-Fair-Blazer on Pac at 0%. Does 43-47% depending on how well you pull it together, but it's a bit hard to perform.

smesty

Smash Cadet
I like using at 0-10%, D-throw > Jab > F-smash, it works on most of the cast with no rage.
If you are starting the combo @0% though, there is no reason to not use my combo I mentioned as it racks up and extra 15% or so. :)

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Landing with a Nair is no doubt a combo starter. Marth's is a Sakurai Angle but Roy's is diagonal. So good for combos. I didn't test it in training but I've been doing landing Nair to DED and landing Nair to Fair/Uair/Nair/grab/Blazer. These will start working less and less when people start DI-ing the Nair

Last edited:

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I've come to understand that dthrow > utilt against some characters at low percents does not leave you in enough frame advantage to capitalize on it, therefore allowing characters with very quick aerials such as Nairs to actually punish you for it and potentially get mileage out of it given who Roy is. For example, Ryu can easily nair right out of it and giving Ryu a free combo starter is not good for Roy.

What has been helping me at low percents is dthrow > jab instead. It hits them away far enough to actually be in a good position while in big frame advantage to frame trap my opponent at low percents. I recommend about past 20% or 30% is where I'd go for utilts out of dthrows.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I can't get most of OP's combos to work at all on Sheik, even without DI.

I've come to understand that dthrow > utilt against some characters at low percents does not leave you in enough frame advantage to capitalize on it, therefore allowing characters with very quick aerials such as Nairs to actually punish you for it and potentially get mileage out of it given who Roy is. For example, Ryu can easily nair right out of it and giving Ryu a free combo starter is not good for Roy.

What has been helping me at low percents is dthrow > jab instead. It hits them away far enough to actually be in a good position while in big frame advantage to frame trap my opponent at low percents. I recommend about past 20% or 30% is where I'd go for utilts out of dthrows.
Just use dThrow > jab instead at low percent

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Then use Dthrow to Ftilt. This is what I use and it works great.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Gonna slowly compile a few combos with percent ranges.

On Sheik, no DI, no rage

jab > dancing blade, 20%-60%

dThrow > jab, 0% - 23%
dThrow > uTilt, 1% - 25%, up to 46% with weak hit
dThrow > uAir, 37% - 121%, up to 139% with weak hit

SH FF uAir > uAir, 29% - 78%, up to 88% with weak hit
Works on lower percent but isn't safe due to weak hit
SH FF uAir > uTilt, 8% - 32%, up to 48% with weak hit and slide in

Then use Dthrow to Ftilt. This is what I use and it works great.
Not a true combo at low percent.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Gonna slowly compile a few combos with percent ranges.

On Sheik, no DI, no rage

jab > dancing blade, 20%-60%

Not a true combo at low percent.
Like I said many posts ago, percent depends on the character but this is definitely a true combo

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I'll leave this here for whoever hasn't seen it.

Also, it'll probably be worth it to start testing dthrow > blazer extensively for percents/DI escape options.

I'm hoping that if the opponent DIs in, we can fthrow > fair near the ledge for a KO

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I'll leave this here for whoever hasn't seen it.

Also, it'll probably be worth it to start testing dthrow > blazer extensively for percents/DI escape options.

I'm hoping that if the opponent DIs in, we can fthrow > fair near the ledge for a KO
Seeing this, I feel like FF nAir will be one of our most important attacks. The second hit of nAir connects pretty well when one fastfalls it in time. Like when you do a SH nAir, you can't FF the first hit, but the second you actually can.

Funny how the second hit of nAir actually has a lower angle if you FF it.

Last edited:

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
This doesn't work very often, and only works if they are at 0-5%, but...

D-Throw -> U-Tilt (sweetspot) -> Re-grab -> D-Throw -> F-Tilt -> Follow-up (Dash attack, F-Air, etc.)

Again, this is not a true combo by any means, but they really only have two options (jump and air-dodge). If they jump, you might be able to catch them with a F-Air, and if they air-dodge, free F-Smash!

I have not tested very many characters, but always works on mid-weight chars like Mario and Ryu.

If you play with smash balls on (probably none of you), you can 0-Death people if you dash-up final smash at the end of the combo.

Last edited:

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
You can Weak-hit U-Air into U-Tilt, which kills at high percents.

You need to have superb spacing, though. Or else the U-Tilt won't kill.

Last edited:

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
D-Throw - > U-Tilt -> Re-Grab -> D-Throw -> F-Tilt -> Dash-Attack (adjust your timing to tech-chase)

Not a true combo by any means, but it's so satisfying.

If you add a Final Smash to the end of that, you can 0-Death people with it. Pretty PH1R3 if you ask me.

CrossXBeau

Smash Rookie
D-Throw -->DownTild ----> D-Throw--->Neutral A---->D-Throw---->Up-Tilt----> N-Air. Try that out.

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Seeing this, I feel like FF nAir will be one of our most important attacks. The second hit of nAir connects pretty well when one fastfalls it in time. Like when you do a SH nAir, you can't FF the first hit, but the second you actually can.

Funny how the second hit of nAir actually has a lower angle if you FF it.
Haha I agree with you. Seems to be also good on shield if u space it right.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I've got all of the information I got regarding those two simple combos with :4feroy:

I'll leave my percent findings on each character in the spoilers below.

:4mario: 0% - 14%
:4luigi: 0% - 14%
:4peach: 0% - 20%
:4bowser: 15% - 25%
:4yoshi: 5% - 15%
:rosalina: 5% (Is awkward to combo, Luma can prevent you from getting the combo)
:4bowserjr: 0% - 20%
:4wario: 12% - 20%
:4dk: 14% - 25%
:4diddy: 10% - 14%
:4gaw: 0% - 14%
:4littlemac: 0% - 20%
:4link: 0% - 20%
:4zelda: 5% - 8%
:4sheik: 0% - 14%
:4ganondorf: 10% - 20%
:4tlink: 0% - 14%
:4samus: 0% - 10%
:4zss: 0% - 10%
:4pit:/:4darkpit: 5% - 15%
:4palutena: 0% - 11%
:4marth: 0% - 19%
:4myfriends: 0% - 20%
:4robinm: 0% - 14%
:4duckhunt: 0% - 4%
:4kirby: 0% - 4%
:4dedede: 5% - 23%
:4metaknight: 0% - 15%
:4fox: 0% - 15%
:4falco: 0% - 15%
:4pikachu: 0% - 14%
:4charizard: 0% - 20%
:4lucario: 0% - 17%
:4jigglypuff: 0% - 10%
:4greninja: 0% - 18%
:4rob: 5% - 21%
:4ness: 0% - 12%
:4falcon: 5% - 21%
:4villager: 0% - 16%
:4olimar: 0% - 18%
:4wiifit: 0% - 13%
:4shulk: 0% - 15%
:4drmario: 0% - 14%
:4lucina: 0% - 17%
:4pacman: 0% - 19%
:4megaman: 0% - 22%
:4sonic: 0% - 14%
:4mewtwo: 0% - 18%
:4lucas: 0% - 14%
:4feroy: 0% - 15%
:4ryu: 4% - 19%
:4miibrawl: 0% - 20%
:4miigun: 0% - 20%
:4miisword: 0% - 20%

:4diddy: 50% - 55%
:4gaw: 23%
:4littlemac: 32% - 33%
:4sheik: 46% - 59%
:4zss: 34% - 49%
:4robinm: 51% - 69%
:4duckhunt: 51% - 67%
:4metaknight: 35% - 44%
:4fox: 35% - 50%
:4falco: 35% - 64%
:4pikachu: 32% - 42%
:4jigglypuff: 19% - 32%
:4olimar: 24% - 52%
:4lucina: 41% - 71%
:4mewtwo: 15% - 44%

:rosalina: is almost impossible to do a true combo with due to Luma being able to take a hit for her.
Some of these percentages are also dependent on where you hit with Roy's blade.

Correct me if I'm wrong on some character percents.

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure down throw up b works on 0 percent

Never mind I'm dumb

Last edited:

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
why even do down throw up B? just do down throw > jab > f tilt and it does more damage and is a lot safer at low percents

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
at 0% D-Throw into D-Tilt into regrab D-Throw into jab is guaranteed on most characters

Top Bottom