• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's True Combos

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Short hop or full hop? Either work, you are correct, but I felt the need to ask.

With that f-air IASA frame thing I was able to get SH f-air -> f-air, n-air, or u-air. It's marvelous.
...I think full hop, this is from memory, but try a short hop on a small and big character (like kirby and charizard) I think some of these combos only work on some characters

Last edited:

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Down throw is an insanely good way to rack up damage at low percents.
Dthrow > Utilt (sweet spot) > Utilt (sour)/ Bair/Fair/Uair
Dthrow > Ftilt
Dthrow > Usmash (if they don't DI well or if they have a large hurtbox)
Dthrow > Blazer (angled if you need to catch their DI)
Dthrow > Charged Fsmash (if you read an airdodge into the ground)
Dthrow > Double edged dance (again if they airdodge into the ground)
And if the character you're dthrowing has an combo breaker (Luigi's Nair, Roy's Nair, Shiek's Fair etc.) you can
Dthrow > Counter

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
Dthrow -> Uair does work after about 40%. If you buffer jump, it won't work. You have to jump right after the animation finishes (I keep Roy in my peripheral vision and jump after the ground shockwave goes away).
At about 40-55% (?), you only need to SH to connect, although you might sourspot it. At 55%+, you have to double jump, but if you buffer the double jump then Uair it should connect, again maybe sourspotting.
From my experience this combo works up until around 160%, which is kill range for Uair. Also, Roy doesn't have any Dthrow true combos at 0% in any weight class, as far as I can tell.

I've tested some more and it seems that Dthrow -> (sourspotted) Uair does work at around 80%. I have definitely done true combos lower than that, but I can't get it to work to confirm. You can't buffer the jump, like I said before. Wait for the first moment you can move (not sure if it's an IASA or just the end of the animation & lag) and jump, double jump if you have to. Immediately after your last jump, Uair and you'll get it. Of course, do all this as fast as possible.
Backing up my earlier post, have some gfycats, everyone. And with a bonus combo: landing first hit nair into Blazer!

http://gfycat.com/RedWatchfulGerbil
http://gfycat.com/MilkyEvenBuckeyebutterfly
http://gfycat.com/EminentHappyIndianrhinoceros
One of the first combos I discovered with Roy was first hit nair into Jab. Glad to see some more with nair!

Last edited:

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
So far for me, Dgrab> Utilt> Grab seems pretty legit. Tried it online on some players. I've tried the second grab to be another Dgrab> another Utilt> Blazer...or just go straight Blazer. Sometimes it connects if the opponent isn't quick to DI or something other.

Higher percentages I try Fthrow>SH>Fair and from there get a read. Not sure if there's anything else to do from there.
*EDIT* The Dgrab> Utilt> grab string doesn't seem to work on Sonic all that much :/

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow -> Uair does work after about 40%. If you buffer jump, it won't work. You have to jump right after the animation finishes (I keep Roy in my peripheral vision and jump after the ground shockwave goes away).
At about 40-55% (?), you only need to SH to connect, although you might sourspot it. At 55%+, you have to double jump, but if you buffer the double jump then Uair it should connect, again maybe sourspotting.
From my experience this combo works up until around 160%, which is kill range for Uair. Also, Roy doesn't have any Dthrow true combos at 0% in any weight class, as far as I can tell.

I've tested some more and it seems that Dthrow -> sourspotted Uair does work at around 100%. I have definitely done true combos lower than that, but I can't get it to work to confirm. You can't buffer the jump, like I said before. Wait for the first moment you can move (not sure if it's an IASA or just the end of the animation & lag) and jump, double jump if you have to. Immediately after your last jump, Uair and you'll get it. Of course, do all this as fast as possible.

One of the first combos I discovered with Roy was first hit nair into Jab. Glad to see some more with nair!
Down throw jab does at 0% if I'm not mistaken

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I found that if land the first hit of Nair, land without letting the second hit, you can get a free tilt or jab. Can't confirm if this is a true combo, but i has been working for me.

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
Down throw jab does at 0% if I'm not mistaken
Really quickly testing it, I see that it works on Fox (a fastfalling character). It doesn't work on Mario (a midweight) and Kirby (a lightweight). So only for fastfalling characters I guess.

I found that if land the first hit of Nair, land without letting the second hit, you can get a free tilt or jab. Can't confirm if this is a true combo, but i has been working for me.
Backing up my earlier post, have some gfycats, everyone. And with a bonus combo: landing first hit nair into Blazer!

Yeah, first hit of nair combos into tilt, jab, etc.

Last edited:

David Basile

Smash Rookie
NNID
daveyman23

This is my video, I pulled off a ken-ish combo.

No capture card, so phone recording. Then i used youtube's "fix the shakiness" tool and made it WEIRD but you can still see the match I guess

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Are you sure that this is confirmed? I feel like people can air dodge the forward air sweet spot from down throw at lower percents. I feel like it could be an air dodge read at mid-high percents, or if you can use forward air on stage and use IASA frames for double jump to do a down air combo. Is there potential in that? They're going to be expecting a follow up from down throw at low percents so they're going to air dodge naturally, meaning this full combo wouldn't work and you would be better off going for a ftilt to punish an air dodge.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
I don't have anyone to test it with right now, But I would guess they can airdodge. Though if they try to jump out they will still be hit by the spike.
It's a spike? I honest to god thought it was a meteor for a second.

Last edited:

TheBlimp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2853-0194-7451
fair -> blazer is a true combo on most characters at 0% can confirm. Easy 24% if they dont shield. If they do shield, chances are they're gonna try to shieldgrab you and get locked in by the blazer anyways. If not you are in for some heavy punish

EDIT:
Also works from 25% on some characters

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
So im currently in training mode messing around with nair. This is at 0 percent.
Sh Nair x jab
Sh Nair x ftilt
Sh Nair x Dtilt
Sh nair x Fair (I wonder if its possible to get blazer at the end of this if i FF fair)
Sh nair x sh nair (it counts as a true combo from 0 percent and could possibly combo into a 3rd nair)
Sh nair x up air

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
I did some quick testing on Combos for Roy and have compiled them into a Document.
This is just a quick overview what i was finding in about 2-3 hours time.

Sharing is caring <3

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWUZOu2QGiuON7UMGFg0XpduGreJyNiXSgyTyWuJ5cQ/edit?usp=sharing

All of these i have confirmed as TRUE combos in trainings mode.
I used sheik as a trainings dummy.
Please comment if you find more :)
thank you for this so much i cant find much else that is this large for roy combos

GubgubJubjub

Smash Rookie
Are these true combos regardless of DI and %? I saw M2K playing around with Roy and some of the "true" combos that people found in training mode were easily able to be DI'ed, shielded, or jumped out of. To be honest, the only true combo he found with Roy was downthrow (at 0%) -> Jab -> Side B

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
SHFFL'd Nair->dashgrab seems to work too on lower percents.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kill setups I've found so far that are listed as true combos in training mode (sorry but I didn't record the percentages, I may edit them in later)
Jab -> Fair
Dthrow -> Up B

At around 45% on Fox, you can get falling Uair -> Dair meteor by the edge but its not a true combo, I'll test it later with a human player to see if Fox can act fast enough to avoid it or DI away from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
I've found doing D-throw->jab into reading how they react after. Doing to much else seems to be avoided by good DI but of course is react able.

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
*EDIT* The Dgrab> Utilt> grab string doesn't seem to work on Sonic all that much :/
Yeah, it doesn't seem to work on a few characters actually...

While it's really cool to pull off, it looks like it's just better to do a jab into F-Tilt. (Or just an F-Tilt)

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Dthrow > Utilt > Pivot grab is fun

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
To those above-

About the regrab, it doesn't "work" on any character (although I haven't tested on everyone, but I'm 99% sure). This includes pivot grab. Since this thread is for true combos, you can't really consider something they can easily jump out of being a true combo.

It's an... option if you've been following up with aerials and they expect it. But definitely not a combo.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I'm sure we all know that but thanks for clarifying

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Got to contemplating the use of dash attack in true combos, since Roy's is actually pretty darn quick.

D-tilt -> dash attack works, but I can only ever seem to get the sourspot on dash attack. Worth it for 20% though.

I tried Jab -> dash attack, but ended up getting d-smash instead. So thanks to serendipity, I found that jab -> dsmash is a true combo. Deals 22% or 17%, depending on which spot of d-smash you hit with of course.

Jab -> dash attack doesn't seem to work.
Can't you just buffer dash and dash attack with cstick? I doubt it will be a true comb though.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Can't you just buffer dash and dash attack with cstick? I doubt it will be a true comb though.
That's what I was doing. I basically always use c-stick for dash attack/buffered dash attack. If it's a true combo I just wasn't able to land it myself.

Spiralviper

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpiralViper
About the regrab, it doesn't "work" on any character (although I haven't tested on everyone, but I'm 99% sure). This includes pivot grab. Since this thread is for true combos, you can't really consider something they can easily jump out of being a true combo.
You're right, it is by no means a true combo. It's only use is for conditioning people to jump or air-dodge out of down-throw, really.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
On Peach, up to 80% Fthrow>Fair, Fthrow>Nair are both true combos, they're very strict timings, so you'll just have to get used to them. Up to 90% Jab>Nair is a true combo on Peach, and up to 100% Jab>UAir/Fair are true combos. For a kill setup that's also a true combo on Peach at 120% Jab>UpB is a true combo and kills on FD.

monadoboyy

Smash Rookie

I don't know if this was mentioned, but I believe you can do nair>dsmash in the same manner, potentially killing earlier than utilt at least, but I can't really pull it out consistently. Also sourspot uair into utilt seems to work too

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
I don't know if this was mentioned, but I believe you can do nair>dsmash in the same manner, potentially killing earlier than utilt at least, but I can't really pull it out consistently. Also sourspot uair into utilt seems to work too
Nair (1st hit), Dsmash does work, but it doesn't kill earlier than Uptilt, unless you mean using Dsmash near the ledge which Ftilt would overall be better and faster than Dsmash anyways. Dsmash is "okay" for rolls, but I wouldn't use it much and would prefer Uptilt since it hits behind you anyways, so it can be used to punish rolls.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Bowser was jumping out of my dthrow -> jab at zero. Was this just me timing incorrectly or him di'ing up and away + jumping?

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Bowser simply takes less hitstun because of his weight and maybe also his tough guy armor

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
Haha i use D-Throw into up-B like all of the time
D-Throw -> Up-B seems to work a lot of the time. At high enough percents they can air dodge, and low ones maybe it's just better to u-tilt.. but for mid percents it's been working for me. Maybe it's just because people don't know how to play against roy yet though..
d

D

Deleted member

FF Nair to Utilt is another kill confirm.

As for technically not true combos, at lower percents (about 10-40), Roy's 2 tech chase options Fthrow and Dtilt (mainly Fthrow in this case), send the opponent at a really bad angle that can be hard to tech.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Nothing to add but a comment on the OP: it needs better structuring. Percents aren't provided for any of the combos and that needs fixing imo.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
FF Nair to Utilt is another kill confirm.

As for technically not true combos, at lower percents (about 10-40), Roy's 2 tech chase options Fthrow and Dtilt (mainly Fthrow in this case), send the opponent at a really bad angle that can be hard to tech. If they miss the tech, you can do an immediate RAR sourspot Bair to jab lock them. Follow up with an Fsmash/Running Usmash/regrab.
The Sour Bair only works on some characters as a character like Jigglypuff or Kirby (Haven't tested G&W yet). They're floaties and it just knocks them upwards letting you get punished for it. Otherwise I'd say it's okay.

Ching Chang Chewie

Smash Rookie
Down throw > jab >foward tilt works at 0
Also downthrow > jab >re grab> down throw > foward tilt works at around 0 too :)

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
As someone who has barely played Roy in PM, some in Melee and now playing him a lot... he has so many combos. This is a good thread.

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
Jab to grab is really good. Sweet Spot it and you can land another jab, F-tilt and other moves. Especially GRAB. If you hit with a jab, grab them. With some characters I have found myself doing. Jab > Grab > Down thrown > Jab > Grab > Down Throw > Whatever!!! This is good since your grab actully works and doesn't go through the opponent after the jab.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Speaking of sour BAir jab lock stuff, has anyone else found other moves that cause jab lock? Becuase sweetspot UAir to footstool seems legit.

I'm thinking sourspot UAir and maybe sourspot Jab could cause jab lock?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Down throw > jab >foward tilt works at 0
Also downthrow > jab >re grab> down throw > foward tilt works at around 0 too :)
I'm trying dthrow > jab on robin in training mode on 0% and it's never a true combo at 0%. It only starts being a true combo at 9% on Robin.

From my time labbing against robin the only true throw combo at 0% is fthrow to DED, which is a really good combo because if you do side, side, side, down with DED the combo overall does 26%.

edit: apparently dthrow > jab is true on Fox who is a fastfaller; so it might be true on other fastfallers but not true on non-fastfallers at 0%.

This is weird lol, Roy's percents are kinda awkward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom