• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's True Combos

PyroBandit

Smash Cadet
Since there's a high chance of Roy coming out TOMORROW, I thought it would be a good idea to start discussion on combos that Roy could pull off. A few points to get started:

-D-Throw seems like a fantastic combo starter, as well as F-Throw
-Roy seems to have fast aerials, maybe at low percents they could combo?
-Who knows what's possible with footstools.

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
His up tilt looks like it can be a crazy good combo starter.. but thats kinda a given

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
His combo starters look more or less the same as his Melee kit. Dtilt is god tier, his throw options are unusually good for htis game, in that it at least appears that it's not just a binary follow up or kill throw and the other two being totally useless. His f throw has an unusually low trajectory meaning we may actually be able to get tech chases out of it (pipe dream but maybe mang, maybe). Dthrow is your typical combo throw. It looks like it can combo from zero into utilt and probably fsmash too like it did in melee. Probably other less useful moves too. At mid percents it gets a little murkier and depends on the IASA frame of the the throw, but probably aerials too. The knockback scaling is a lot more favorable than Marth's.

Since none of the leakers did anything interesting with aerials we don't really know how they work, but I'm wondering if Roy can still do dTilt fAir repeatedly on fastfallers. Would be really cool, but it depends on fair base knockback and angle.

Wombatz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Heroicwombat
I'm praying for the forward throw to allow tech chases

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
By the looks of it, Roy will be 10X better than marth and lucina. Roy has more mobility, he has a instakill move "that takes forever to activate", he holds FIRE, and HIS OUR BOY!
The only downside is his up B, but who knows his up-b might combo into a down throw.

JackD

Smash Rookie
  1. Dthrow > Jab > Fsmash(sweet spot) - 29-32%(only works at 0)
  2. FThrow > Dash Attack - 18% can be tech'd
  3. Fthrow > Side B(True Combo up to 50% on Mario) - 19% with powered up last hit
  4. DThrow > Up B(True Combo up to 60% on Mario)
  5. Dthrow > UAir 14% up to basically any % below 100, not a true combo
  6. Jab > Dtilt(True Combo up to 50% on Mario, Sweet Spot stops at 44%) 14-18%
  7. Jab > Ftilt(True Combo up to 64% on Mario, Sweet Spot starts at 50%) - 15-16%
  8. Auto-cancelled first hit of Nair > FSmash - 26% Kills Mario at 80 from the center of the stage(Good DI might bump this to 100%)
I'm sure there's more, his Jab and Grab game is awesome.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
Some things noticed so far. Note that this is in training mode against falcon.

The back hit of uair (fast fall to get the back hit but land quickly) is registering as a true combo for me.
So far ive been able to do back hit of uair to bair from 40-120%. Past this percent ive been able to combo into another uair.

Using a regular fast fall uair, ive been able to do ff uair to fair from 60-100%. Past this ive been able to combo into uair.

Ive also been able to combo both uairs into up b at a fairly wide percent range. (You have to reverse the up b if ur using the back hit of uair). You also may have to angle the up b accordingly

Other things-
Weak hit uair has almost no knockback ever. Curious what can be done with it. Potential combo into jab

When you reverse up b, the first hit will still connect when reversing away from the opponent.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
also u can fair, jump before landing and double fair.
Jab-jab
jab-dtilt
jab-ftilt seem to work at some percents

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It's not really a ken Combo. It's more like Ken's original Captain Falcon variant of it. Up air into dair works as a true combo at some percents. But only from the ground. You can do it in the air.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Alright guys, show what you've got so far. Looks like Roy's got lots of new and cool tools. Here's a video I made showcasing some of the things I've found to be good.

90% of these are true combos, but some of them exploit hard landing lag on fast fallers or require a failed tech etc.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
There's a gif now.
The issue with that being that he had ample time to airdodge or even just Nair him before he got to do it. It's a good option if you read the air dodge for sure though.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Roy is definitely a lot better than the Marths.
I am inclined to agree. Marth is probably a little safer vs shields and he defnitely has more range. Roy is going to rely a lot on his ground game, much like he did in Melee. But Roy beats him in almost everything else, especially in the crucially important areas like having safe moves to confirm into kill moves with and having a strong grab game.

Nevran

Smash Rookie
All of these combo are on Mario and have been started in front of him:

Set-up to throw --> Roy first hit of his Nair and the sourspot of his Uair basically make him able to throw behind it at every %.

Jab combo:

Jab --> Dtilt 18%
Jab --> Ftilt 20%
Jab --> Side B x4 21%
Jab --> Fsmash 27% (Unsure if it is a true string)

Uthrow combo:
Generally an Uair

Dthrow combo:
Dthrow --> Jab --> Ftilt 21%
Dthrow --> Jab --> Fsmash 32%
Dthrow --> Jab --> Dash grab --> Dthrow --> Dash attack 38% (Best roy combo so far)

A true combo possible is:
Nair (first hit) or Uair sourspot--> throw --> ¨Pummel x3 --> Dthrow --> dash grab --> Pummel x3 --> D throw --> Usmash 47% (Still searching for best followup) I am not too sure they connect in a true combo but if they do, Fmash instead of utilt does 55% (wait a little second for mario to fall) and Dsmash does 51% (wait more)
If you aren't too confident in the second Dthrow, juste do a Fsmash after the first Dthrow, it does 34%.
You can also Nair after the second Dthrow for 46%

It is possible that making 3 pummel are too much and give too much %, if so, do 2 and the combo is sure to work.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
The landing lag on his aerials seem very influencial to his combo game as well. Especially Fair, who has noticeably less landing lag than the Marths'.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The landing lag on his aerials seem very influencial to his combo game as well. Especially Fair, who has noticeably less landing lag than the Marths'.
It does, but it actually has more to do with his fall speed than anything else. He lands in significantly fewer frames than Marth which allows him to get regrabs and thing. Plus the fact that you alway hit close to Roy so you have less distance to travel.

Also, sourspots are actually VERY useful in this game. They let you get free kill moves at high percents. Sourspot Uair especially seems very important to Roy's play.

Nevran

Smash Rookie
The good thing is that he is able to do simple combo why make some nice % dmg (like simply doing Dthrow to Nair and then trying to mindgame the followup). Also, for his terrible Bthrow, you can do a Fsmash for some % dmg.
And for his Fthrow, you can do a quick dash to side B, it should catch up and combo.

Also if you do a sourspot Dair a low%, you can grab behind it.

Also it seem that Roy's grab range is quite huge no?

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Any ideas of how to approach with him. Is shfh fair a good option? As it could lead to all of these combos. Any other options?? Also when u use fair and go for the regrab, do u fast fall the fair?

Last edited:

Nevran

Smash Rookie
Any ideas of how to approach with him. Is shfh fair a good option? As it could lead to all of these combos. Any other options??
You have tremendous walkspeed coming with an excellent short jump and a good grab range, I think you don't have to commit too hard in pressing button and must try to punish people throwing their poke at you has you have good start-up. It is all about the mobility and also doing very good short-jump attack.

I think Nair is a way better option than Fair if you want a good move to use without being punished too much on shield. You Dtilt is also surprinsingly fast despite his range so don't hesitate to abuse it.

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Yea I agree. Nair can really punish almost every aerial option your opponent tries to pull off. And if u hit it then u can fast fall and let the fun begin lol

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
Actually in terms of approaches I did SHAD special cancels a lot with bowser. Let me go test that out real quick for roy, it's a very useful option.

Edit: Nope, not enough height for a short hop, but a full hop into a delayed air dodge will work.

Last edited:

theweemuzz

Smash Rookie
NNID
weemuzz
Roy's Down throw can combo into his up B, and can kill, this combo is also a true combo until high percents

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Landing with the first hit of Roy's Nair combos into all the hits of Up B. This is probably the most solid guaranteed kill option I've found so far.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
Good find here.

I've been experimenting a bit in the lab, but with more simple combos and ones that the game registers are a true combo.

So far I got NAir > Jab combos and D-Throw > NAir combos. Shall I post my findings so far? I've only gotten up to :4falco:, I'll try and get the rest done tomorrow.

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Wow that's cool. Always wanted to no, how do u get just the first hit of the Nair. Do u just fast fall it or do u delay the hit?

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
I was messing around with CPUs and I found this.
Turns out Sour Fsmash and Dsmash lock opponents at low percents. Fsmash gives more freedom to choose how you continue the combo, though, and I'm sure you could add a Nair before the Fthrow if you wanted.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
I was able to get SH Uair (Sourspot) > Up-Tilt (Sweetspot) to true combo on Mario at 112%. Does 18% and kills at that % too.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I was messing around with CPUs and I found this.
Turns out Sour Fsmash and Dsmash lock opponents at low percents. Fsmash gives more freedom to choose how you continue the combo, though, and I'm sure you could add a Nair before the Fthrow if you wanted.
Shhh! That was supposed to be a secret!

Last edited:

Husk94

Smash Rookie
Back hit of sh uair to bair is registering as a true combo for me against falcon in training mode, from 40-120%. Need confirmation though.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Can't this be super easily ruined by DIing away? You can hardly do it with no DI.
Out of that setup maybe. But that's not the only way you can catch a failed tech with that.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
at around 20% Dthrow --> Jab --> Fair --> jump --> Nair is possible. I think the only part of this combo that is not true is Jab --> Fair.

Also, Dthrow --> Jab --> Jump --> Dair at around 20% can get you a quick kill close to the ledge. It's not a true combo, but I've been able to pull it off on some people.

Top Bottom