• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's True Combos

Dagaroth

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Smash games with Roy against ZSS, CPU level 8, and up until around 40%, D-throw to uTilt seems to work. Sometimes, though. ZSS manages to escape the utilt after ~25%.
Once I hit 50% and above, D-throw to UpSpecial seems to work. At ~80% the Dthrow sends her too high to just upSpecial from the ground.

I can also sometimes Dthrow-Utilt-Uspecial if she does nothing and is under 40%.

Last edited:

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
I've been using Dthrow into Up B to pretty great effect. At low percents it's nearly, if not un-escapable. At mid percents it's better to see the opponent reacts. If you do that a couple times you can condition them into airdodging and hit them with a sweet-spotted forward smash. Their only other viable option is a jump, Up B has either super armor or intangibility, haven't been able to confirm which yet.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I've been using Dthrow into Up B to pretty great effect. At low percents it's nearly, if not un-escapable. At mid percents it's better to see the opponent reacts. If you do that a couple times you can condition them into airdodging and hit them with a sweet-spotted forward smash. Their only other viable option is a jump, Up B has either super armor or intangibility, haven't been able to confirm which yet.
It's super armor, I confirmed it in the frame data thread not too long ago. A significant amount at startup. So it's really good as a reversal.

Scream

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Malcolm Pickering

Smash Cadet
Im not sure if this is a real combo but,In training mode on the 3ds, I was able to d-throw to d-tilt to dash grab to to d-throw to d-tilt (etc) on DeDeDe across final destination racking up about 48%. Now this didn't register as a true combo, but I had set the cpu to buffer jump... if this is a combo, then wow... but I'm not sure if cpu jumps are actually buffered or if rolls can come out faster or what. Ill do more testing tomorrow but right now i still have a hella lot of studying to do. Can anyone confirm or disprove this??

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
I was able to get SH Uair (Sourspot) > Up-Tilt (Sweetspot) to true combo on Mario at 112%. Does 18% and kills at that % too.
I tried it,and the latest I could get it to true combo is 150% on Mario.

Also it works(and ko's )with up smash as early as 105%

I got a falling nair to up tilt to true combo in till 300% and ko as early as 115% (with sweet spot)

I think nair is the better option because it's easier to hit

thegrovylekid

Smash Cadet
Works very well.

DTilt into Dair works for a meteor smash, but is harder to pull off.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Not true combo... You need you opponent to not jump or air dodge after you Dthrow, which won't happen a lot.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Not true combo... You need you opponent to not jump or air dodge after you Dthrow, which won't happen a lot.
I know, but this was as like 40% (getting the exact percent now) most people aren't prepared for something so quick and deadly that early on. Plus testing it seems to lead me to believe that if done at the right percent would lead to enough hit stun for It to be true.

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Condition them to not airdodge instantly by short hop neutral B. If they jump which is the safest option they can either jump in and risk getting bopped by an up B or jump away and concede stage control.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Wow that's cool. Always wanted to no, how do u get just the first hit of the Nair. Do u just fast fall it or do u delay the hit?
You just use it close to the ground, and fast fall into the ground before the second hit comes out.

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Dude Roy's sourspot is so tiny

First time I want a sourpot to be bigger for this setup to work.

Does the forward throw hasve enough hitstun to make the thing unjumpable but only teched/non-teched?

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
I know, but this was as like 40% (getting the exact percent now) most people aren't prepared for something so quick and deadly that early on. Plus testing it seems to lead me to believe that if done at the right percent would lead to enough hit stun for It to be true.
It works as early as 15%... Though it probably won't kill if they have a decent recovery.

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
To preface this I'm not really sure if this has any real function, I'm still pretty new to competitive smash so I want to gather others opinions. I haven't had time to test this at all other than in this video, so it is probably escapable, but it may function as a basis that can be further developed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwreNwZ10gA

Last edited:

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Seems like this is the worst throw in the game, it pops up the opponent and behind you, but you cant follow up with anything and doesnt send people far, making it really bad for getting opponents out of the stage.

The percentage is not stellar either, 5%....

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
The Roy Ken Combo haha :p Definitely escapable but maximum disrespect!

Try sourspotting the Fair before the final spike for chance of surviving!

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
Of course, but Foward Throw has amazing sideways knockback good for edgeguarding, but Back throw is literally the opposite and you cant even attack.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Dude Roy's sourspot is so tiny

First time I want a sourpot to be bigger for this setup to work.

Does the forward throw hasve enough hitstun to make the thing unjumpable but only teched/non-teched?
Depends on DI. If they DI up they can jump. If not, they can't.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I found a possible bread and butter combo.

Hold up for the first three hits of DED and then forward for last hit. I tried this on Falco and it worked on him from about 10% to about 130% (really precise timing on the extremes of the spectrum, though) and it killed around 105% at the end of FD. The percents might be a bit different depending on the character and it only works effectively on heavy characters or fastfallers (it only worked on Jiggs up to about 45%-ish), but I think it's still useful.

EDIT: The string does 16 damage, in case you guys wanted to know. You could do more with an F-Smash if you read something, but this is guaranteed even if you sourspot the first hit. It hits the opponent up and keeps them in pretty much the same spot as you move towards them, so last hit is almost always a sweetspot (and almost always a kill if you are at the edge over 100).

EDIT 2: Adding in the sweetspotted jab beforehand makes the damage go up to 22%, but it doesn't work at high %'s with the jab because it has too much KB.

Last edited:

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
The Roy Ken Combo haha :p Definitely escapable but maximum disrespect!

Try sourspotting the Fair before the final spike for chance of surviving!
Yeah, a sourspot Fair would have made it even better, do you think it has any chance maybe working as a mixup? I specifically mean the chain grab part, not the Ken Combo

Zaprong

Smash Apprentice
^^ Thanks!

I found out that forward throw near the ledge at 50% can be followed up with a Down Air spike if the opponent jumps (which is a very common habit), the thing is that I donno if it catches Airdodges if the opponent airdodges at the same time he jumps....

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a sourspot Fair would have made it even better, do you think it has any chance maybe working as a mixup? I specifically mean the chain grab part, not the Ken Combo
Eh.. Chain Grabs are dubious in this game. Only if they don't throw out ANY attack while falling and do an unsafe landing airdodge... So.. Not vs good players. Though on day 1 I can imagine many people will be confused by low height of the throw and airdodge into the ground~ Worth a shot.

Mercify

Smash Cadet
NNID
C-Grain_Chrom
Eh.. Chain Grabs are dubious in this game. Only if they don't throw out ANY attack while falling and do an unsafe landing airdodge... So.. Not vs good players. Though on day 1 I can imagine many people will be confused by low height of the throw and airdodge into the ground~ Worth a shot.
Okay thanks, I think it might actually work though. Since, you have Fair for if they jump, dash attack for an attack on the ground, or falling aerial, and then grab for shield. Idk just throwing out some ideas

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I found another kill setup at high percents. Sweetspot Jab > Angled Up B. The game registered it as a true combo (tested on Ike), but it may be escapable with DI. Even then, it's a good mix up.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
These all (should) have been said already, but I just want to reiterate the combos I use pretty much every stock. (Tested against Ryu)
0%
Dthrow > Jab > Regrab Dthrow > Jab
Dthrow > Jab > Dthrow > UpB
Nair hit 1 or Uair Sweet > Fthrow > Nair
Jab > 1 Pummel > Dthrow > Jab
30%
Fthrow > Dash Attack
Fthrow > Nair
Dthrow > F/Utilt/, depending on DI
Uair > Usmash
Uair Sour and Nair hit 1 can be used to setup the throws
60%
Dthrow > Uair
Fthrow > Nair
Dtilt Sweet > Techchase or SideB/UpB if they miss the tech
Jab > Grab > Followup
Jab > SideB (Mid-Up-Up-Mid locks them the best)
Uair Sweet > UpB
100%
Dthrow > UpB (Kills Ryu at 110%)
Uair > Uair/Fair
Jab > UpB

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Just wanted to throw out there that Sweetspot Jab into Forward Angled Up-B is a true combo at higher %'s and kills Ryu at 117% anywhere on the stage with no DI.

Edit: Actually, it only kills at that % if you're on Omega Suzaku Castle. I couldn't get it to kill on Omega Battlefield until 124%

Last edited:
This is stuff I found in the lab and on other players throughout the day. Please let me now anything that isn't listed that you've found! (must have a 2 or more combo counter in training mode, or allow regrabs and such while the opponent is in hitstun)

I plan to organize this thread much more once more data is present.

Trying to find combos for: Blazer, dair for meteors, sweetspotted aerials at kill percents and general kill setups.

COMBOS:

Fthrow -> Dancing Blade.
Fthrow -> Dash attack, or fthrow -> dash -> short hop fair/nair, both at certain, weird percents.

Dthrow -> utilt.
"Dthrow > Ftilt works great at lower percents. Depending on weight and fall speed of the opponent it will connect and sweetspot somewhere after 0% or before 50%" -Credit to Vipermoon64

Jab -> Dtilt at certain percents on most characters.
Jab -> Ftilt.
Jab -> Utilt works, but it's at such a weird range and fails most of the time that I'm not sure if it's worth noting.

Falling uair into a LOT of stuff, sweetspot is really nice for this. Especially worth nothing with grabbing after landing during a uair.

"Thought I'd repost this here:

Zatchiel said:
These start at around 20%-40%, for reference.

U-air -> any aerial that isn't d-air, it seems

U-air -> f-air -> f-air (deals 31% if you manage to hit with the last f-air sweetspotted)

U-air -> b-air -> f-air

U-air -> b-air -> u-air

U-air -> b-air -> u-air -> u-air (39%, if all are sweetspotted)"
-Zatchiel on uair's capabilities and three or more hit combos

First hit of nair combos into the second.

Grabs during anything gets a lot of mileage, I like dthrow -> utilt -> throw from 0.

Roy has many fun and exciting ways to punish landing near him, too! I love it.

In particular, I'm finding it strange that dthrow isn't comboing into short hop uair.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Dthrow > Ftilt works great at lower percents. Depending on weight and fall speed of the opponent it will connect and sweetspot somewhere after 0% or before 50%

Inevitableascendancy

Smash Rookie
D-Throw -> Up-B seems to work a lot of the time. At high enough percents they can air dodge, and low ones maybe it's just better to u-tilt.. but for mid percents it's been working for me. Maybe it's just because people don't know how to play against roy yet though..

D-Throw -> Up-B seems to work a lot of the time. At high enough percents they can air dodge, and low ones maybe it's just better to u-tilt.. but for mid percents it's been working for me. Maybe it's just because people don't know how to play against roy yet though..
I've been trying to make Blazer true combos all day like the Dolphin Slash ones, but I can't =(

It's really good, though, if you read them for it, especially since Blazer is now a viable kill move on anyone, and it's difficult to react to immediately if you throw them off by never going for it or not going for it much.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
I've managed to get sweetspot jab to combo into Blazer at higher percents. For Ganondorf, it starts around 85% and ends at around 138%. You need to be extremely close for it to work though, so I don't know how practical it is. If you want to go a step further, you can first hit Nair-Jab-Blazer, but that's even more impractical.

Dudde

Smash Rookie
NNID
raddudde
3DS FC
1075-1056-9554
Is D-throw -> Jab -> F-tilt/F-smash not guaranteed? I've been getting that all day.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Falling uair into a LOT of stuff, sweetspot is really nice for this.
Thought I'd repost this here:

These start at around 20%-40%, for reference.

U-air -> any aerial that isn't d-air, it seems

U-air -> f-air -> f-air (deals 31% if you manage to hit with the last f-air sweetspotted)

U-air -> b-air -> f-air

U-air -> b-air -> u-air

U-air -> b-air -> u-air -> u-air (39%, if all are sweetspotted)
I'll admit the last one shocked me. U-air works so beautifully with b-air at low/mid percents.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Is D-throw -> Jab -> F-tilt/F-smash not guaranteed? I've been getting that all day.
I'm 99% sure it's confirmed, at least at 0% on Mario

Top Bottom