• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's True Combos

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
The first hit of N-air fast falled in to the ground is good for leading into Down tilt, F-tilt, Up-tilt, Grab which can lead to further combos. The first hit of Nair also leads to Roy's Up- B sometimes, which at later percents is very deadly.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
ArikadoX said:
I'm trying dthrow > jab on robin in training mode on 0% and it's never a true combo at 0%. It only starts being a true combo at 9% on Robin.

From my time labbing against robin the only true throw combo at 0% is fthrow to DED, which is a really good combo because if you do side, side, side, down with DED the combo overall does 26%.

edit: apparently dthrow > jab is true on Fox who is a fastfaller; so it might be true on other fastfallers but not true on non-fastfallers at 0%.

This is weird lol, Roy's percents are kinda awkward.
After Fthrow I would personally go for DED Side Side Up Side because the Down (four hits) has a weid hitbox where some characters can jump out and punish you for it. The Side Side Up Side is more reliable. DED Side Side Down Down is great shield pressure though after a spaced Dtilt.

bytesh1ft

Smash Rookie
First hit of nair > upb hits everyone at any percent and kills everyone at high percent (have to be close to opponent)

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
First hit of nair > upb hits everyone at any percent and kills everyone at high percent (have to be close to opponent)
Can't get this to work on DK, Jiggly, or Fox. It doesn't register as a true combo.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Can't get this to work on DK, Jiggly, or Fox. It doesn't register as a true combo.
It does on Fox after 60-80% if done with correct timing (I haven't tested on DK or Jiggz yet but I an sure it does too. I tested on Fox/Sheik and Luigi and it works on all of them as true combos). Even N-Air to Up-Smash works later on. Doesn't work at all %s

But still the time your opponent has to react even at 0% is incredibly minimal and most chars (not all) are left airborne not allowing them to shield OR air dodge (since they are so close to the ground that they will just land in air dodge lag), which means that their only option is an aerial faster than whatever you choose to follow up with. Not all characters have a frame 3 sex kick.

For those chars that are not sent airborne or those that just land way too quickly, at low %s just go for a grab as I think their only option quick enough is shielding (and maybe jabbing those who have frame 1/2 jabs).

Last edited:

Scream

Smash Apprentice
They are of course all % and some DI dependant:None of these combos can however be shielded or jumped out of at the right percents, for the are based on hitstun -> True Combos.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
On Jiggly you just need to Down throw into Blazer at around 70% - 80% and she'll die instantly. On Fox/DK best to do Jab into Up B at around 120% for a True Combo that'll kill.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
On Jiggly you just need to Down throw into Blazer at around 70% - 80% and she'll die instantly. On Fox/DK best to do Jab into Up B at around 120% for a True Combo that'll kill.
Damn, hadn't thought about Jab to Up-B at those %s. NICE!

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
As far as approach options go i tend to get a lot of nairs into d-tilt
Approach wise, Roy can full hop fair and jump out before he hits the ground due to its IASA frames. So I approach with a full hop fair into a nair, which autocancels on landing.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Approach wise, Roy can full hop fair and jump out before he hits the ground due to its IASA frames. So I approach with a full hop fair into a nair, which autocancels on landing.
He can jump out of a short hop fair, everyone can jump out of a full hop fair.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
He can jump out of a short hop fair, everyone can jump out of a full hop fair.
Whoops, my bad lol
But SH Fair > Nair is still a pretty good approach option
Would SH / FH Flare Blade be a good approach option? It has decent range and very minimal endlag.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Roy can true combo sourspot falling uair to up B on robin starting 106% (it doesn't true combo at 105%).

This was in training mode so assuming no staleness or rage taken into effect.

This can be one of Roy's primary kill set ups.

Azuru Furaimu

Smash Rookie
NNID
homura-pls
3DS FC
4613-8677-1621
speaking of bowser i was wondering in what way could I do the down variant of the last hit of side b on bowser and not sourspot since even in the mid percents his armor is still persisting

Hey, guys. I apologize for not taking responsibility for the thread. I was contemplating how to handle it from here on out, and I plan to only feature videos, webms, and gifs of training mode true combos for the true combos part like the ones @ Gawain Gawain has been uploading, and some other video stuff (like matches and such) for good strings to follow specific DI/techs/anything else. It will be split into a true combo section with notes whenever they are provided, a good string/DI punish/jab lock setup section, and possibly more in the future.

When I have more time, I will upgrade the thread to much higher standards and read through all replies. In the meantime, leave any videos, webms, gifs, etc. that will be useful for the op.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
speaking of bowser i was wondering in what way could I do the down variant of the last hit of side b on bowser and not sourspot since even in the mid percents his armor is still persisting
It's all about timing, position and the sequence. I think the safest sequence to sweetspot is Side -> Side -> Up -> Finisher.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Pretty simple question. What's the best or most effective Double-Edge Dance combination?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
For DED it's mostly about which combination is the most realiable and which finisher to use.

The first 3 hits are all about positioning your opponent for the last hit (and being reliable enough where your opponent won't be able to escape the move). With that in mind I think Side->Side->Up->Finisher is the best combination IMO (best in terms of reliable).

Finisher can be varied. Up to start juggles, Side for knockback and Down for damage or shield pressure.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The "up" swings are in general more reliable, especially if you use the DED as a followup from jab at higher percents etc. (IE jab then jump and start DEDing the enemy in the air). The down variants are less useful imo. Too laggy and not much reward.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
The "up" swings are in general more reliable, especially if you use the DED as a followup from jab at higher percents etc. (IE jab then jump and start DEDing the enemy in the air). The down variants are less useful imo. Too laggy and not much reward.
I'm thinking the down variants are probably more useful if you find yourself hitting their shield.

His down variants look like they poke really low, and can potentially hit the gap in their shield beneath them, especially in combination with the final fourth downward multi-poke.

Their shield should also be reducing in size with every passing moment, so it might be possible to time your DED so that each attack comes out as late as possible, which can both bait your opponent into dropping shield for a grab, or just eat up more of their shield for a better chance at a poke.

This needs more testing though.

~Neutral~

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neutral12
3DS FC
1779-1084-1092
From my experiences I've had the most reliable damage come out of this combination:

:GCR::GCR::GCU::GCR:

However I also like to use this combination once and awhile to keep dashers and rollers at bay:

:GCR::GCR::GCR::GCD:

From my experiences it's very easy for you to get punished by using DED too often, be very wary and know when to use it. I myself am still practicing to stop this from happening to me.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Why? It's a true combo against most characters.
It isn't at high %s, they can DI and airdodge. And at low %s you can get much more out of U-Air juggles or regrabs.

You can however read an airdodge and Up-B them.

Last edited:

21stSalamander

Smash Rookie
His uAir combos are nice and anything but that they only work without any spacing at all makes them pretty much garbage.
Well roy technically isnt a spacer, more of a space breaker. He only has three or four moves which are useful for spacing, i.e. dtilt, but as he does more damage the closer the opponent is to his body, this is inadvisable anyway.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well roy technically isnt a spacer, more of a space breaker. He only has three or four moves which are useful for spacing, i.e. dtilt, but as he does more damage the closer the opponent is to his body, this is inadvisable anyway.
Still, Smash Bros is a spacing game so you have to space most of the time. Roy is one to look for openings and mistakes by the opponent and punish them by going in their faces, but otherwise you should be spacing at all other moments.

Last edited:

21stSalamander

Smash Rookie
Also, with minimal testing so i may be wrong, jab to dthrow to jab to dash grab works a lot of the time, however they can escape after the second jab if they spam jump enough. However landing this can bring the opponent to a good percentage to fthrow and follow up with dancing blade.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Also, with minimal testing so i may be wrong, jab to dthrow to jab to dash grab works a lot of the time, however they can escape after the second jab if they spam jump enough. However landing this can bring the opponent to a good percentage to fthrow and follow up with dancing blade.
I do this a lot, they can escape after the very first jab (some chars can escape after the first D-Throw because they are too floaty or too heavy, for these chars use U-Tilt instead of jab).

What I normally do is D-Throw->Jab->Shield (in case they spam an aerial or air dodge which 90% of people do)->Grab on landing->Down-Throw->Up-Tilt/Jab (depending on wait)->Dash->Shield->Grab on landing->Down-Throw->Initiate U-Air juggle

If my opponent likes to double jump then I punish that on their second stock, when I get the first grab I instantly double jump into U-Air and initiate an U-Air juggle. Anytime he lands I go for a grab and rethrow into U-Air juggles.

Last edited:

21stSalamander

Smash Rookie
Still, Smash Bros is a spacing game so you have to space most of the time. Roy is one to look for openings and mistakes by the opponent and punish them by going in their faces, but otherwise you should be spacing at all other moments.
The same could be said for Captain Falcon who is clearly a space breaker

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The same could be said for Captain Falcon who is clearly a space breaker
Yes, you are right. And that is Falcon's biggest weakness, the only thing he can space with shield advantage is B-Air. N-Air is ok, but the opponent still has the advantage and can sometimes grab your foot.

Last edited:

21stSalamander

Smash Rookie
I do this a lot, they can escape after the very first jab (some chars can escape after the first D-Throw because they are too floaty or too heavy, for these chars use U-Tilt instead of jab).

What I normally do is D-Throw->Jab->Shield (in case they spam an aerial or air dodge which 90% of people do)->Grab on landing->Down-Throw->Up-Tilt->Dash->Shield->Grab on landing.

If my opponent likes to double jump then I punish that on their second stock, when I get the first grab I instantly double jump into U-Air and initiate an U-Air juggle. Anytime he lands I go for a grab and rethrow into U-Air juggles.
I see. I literally got Roy yesterday so i haven't had much time to put him in the lab but i will definitely try to find follow ups for his moves because he has more strings than he does combos.

21stSalamander

Smash Rookie
Yes, you are right. And that is Falcon's biggest weakness, the only thing he can space with shield advantage is B-Air. N-Air is ok, but the opponent still has the advantage and can sometimes grab your foot.
I see your point haha. I actually find it very difficult to solely focus on space breaking so I see what you mean by saying the game is a spacing game

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
It would be nice to see the OP updated with a list of various combos/follow-ups so that there's a resource for people. Everything seems to be scattered atm, but I gathered a lot of stuff that people posted here and in other threads, and threw everything in a pastebin. Credit goes to whoever found the combos, but people can do whatever they want with this pastebin.

There's also this combo spreadsheet I came across that could be added: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWUZOu2QGiuON7UMGFg0XpduGreJyNiXSgyTyWuJ5cQ/edit#gid=0 Really cool, but I'm wondering if someone could explain what the green and red colours mean.

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
A combo I want to test with a human is, starting at 0%, Dthrow > Utilt > Wait and regrab > Dthrow > Jab > DED. It works in training mode, but with a appropiate DI you maybe can get away, or having a disjoint move like Marth's Upb or a combo breaker like Luigi's Nair.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
It would be nice to see the OP updated with a list of various combos/follow-ups so that there's a resource for people. Everything seems to be scattered atm, but I gathered a lot of stuff that people posted here and in other threads, and threw everything in a pastebin. Credit goes to whoever found the combos, but people can do whatever they want with this pastebin.

There's also this combo spreadsheet I came across that could be added: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iWUZOu2QGiuON7UMGFg0XpduGreJyNiXSgyTyWuJ5cQ/edit#gid=0 Really cool, but I'm wondering if someone could explain what the green and red colours mean.
Ill explain, All the green ones (such as Jab>Ftilt) are true combos, so its green, while red are combos that dont work (Such as Dthrow>Dtilt)

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
I actually did find a rather situational kill combo. But it can kill at around 58 - 60% offscreen.

And if timed correctly, it can be a true combo.
FAir > Fair > Up B. This is also DI dependent as well and requires timing in order for it to be a true combo.

Here's a video to showcase it as well.
Problem being that if started with a DThrow, then they can easily jump out of it. I'd probably use it if the opponent is offstage and trying to recover.

But it is a rather safe combo on stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom