• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROM 5 - Mew2King vs Unknown522

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atrain

Smash Cadet
When everything boils down, it's the spectators and the community that have been disappointed. Even if a game or sport has amazing players, if there are no fans, then the game is nothing.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Okay I will comment on MLG cuz I know the truth - MLG used me as a scapegoat because they were dropping brawl anyway (because Nintendo wouldn't give them the legal rights to stream the game which is where their revenue profit comes from), so that part I refuse to take blame for. I will take the full blame on splitting here, since i am the person that asked for it since i always do that (although i would have anyway cuz i don't like saying no to people even if i was the one waiting in GF for something else), but i will not accept the blame for mlg since i know the true intentions there.
That right there is why I personally do not respect you as a player and why I feel that competitive melee has gone downhill substantially.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Wow, I missed the part on him trying to victimize himself with the MLG thing. That's a crock of **** if ever saw one since it miraculously didn't happen with other players of other games from MLG like that.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
Disregarding whatever M2K is saying for a moment and actually looking at the empirical evidence--intentional or not, M2K has been involved in these sorts of embarrassing ****ups over and over again. He can say whatever he wants but he's still the common thread in a ton of these situations so I don't think it's a stretch to say HE'S the one who needs to change his behavior.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
if a player is 100% certain that a 3 minute button check before the set will make them play more consistently, then why complain?

i dont know about you guys but i always am down to see top players play more consistently.

and also, why gripe at watching professionals practice the game a bit. every time m2k does his little warmup i watch every bit of it i can, i like watching his high level of character control, as well as other top players' high character control.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Is splitting really that bad? I understand I will take the full blame on that but this happens at most tournaments. Me/Jman or Jman/Hax do that all the time, and I pretty much had to do it when i went to MD/VA for them to even like me. It's become the norm for me.

I guess i am underestimating splitting (in the past, if i didn't split, the other pro players would get mad at me. I do not want to name too many people but a lot of my "friends" would get mad at me if i didn't split with them, so I did anyway. I would often not even get rides to places if i didn't team and/or split with whoever takes me so I always have done that).

Well again, I apologize for that since this seems to be the common bad thing i do every time. I won't do that anymore, I promise.

Gea

Smash Master
As a few other people said, offer the split post-matches if it isn't about changing how the set plays out.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Is splitting really that bad? I understand I will take the full blame on that but this happens at most tournaments. Me/Jman or Jman/Hax do that all the time, and I pretty much had to do it when i went to MD/VA for them to even like me. It's become the norm for me.

I guess i am underestimating splitting (in the past, if i didn't split, the other pro players would get mad at me. I do not want to name too many people but a lot of my "friends" would get mad at me if i didn't split with them, so I did anyway. I would often not even get rides to places if i didn't team and/or split with whoever takes me so I always have done that).

Well again, I apologize for that since this seems to be the common bad thing i do every time. I won't do that anymore, I promise.
You did say more or less the same thing in the video thread of a recent tournament, but you still seem to love splitting. If it's true that you just split to "be a nice guy" or whatever, please, please, please stop. It's not good. Everyone will like you a lot more if you don't split.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
the king has finally weighed in lol

but for real, i was alot more upset with the lack of desire to win than the split itself. i mean the tournament ended, in my opinion, with no real winner.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So why did Unknown throw GFs? Did he feel bad about beating M2K in WF, or was he mad at M2K and figured he wasnt worth his time, or did he just give zero f**ks because the whole situation was messed up and he was splitting with m2k?

Just thought it was pretty lame and it was making me angry watching it

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wow, I missed the part on him trying to victimize himself with the MLG thing. That's a crock of **** if ever saw one since it miraculously didn't happen with other players of other games from MLG like that.
I honestly just caught that myself.
After that, and reading Cactuar's post from earlier, I'm just as disappointed with M2K as I am with Unknown. :applejack:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I think after the redoing game 5, put me in a really bad mood and no one wanted to play anymore (at least I can speak for myself and say that I did not want to play anymore). Literally the ONLY reason I continued w/out forfeitting is cuz a few people told me to play, but I wasn't going to anyway (I have emotional problems that do not allow my mindset or hands to function well which is why i thought it would be pointless to play anymore). When Hax said he wanted to play me, and after i beat him in our extended set he told me he wanted me to win the tournament. For some reason i took that to heart and i tried to do that.

I wish unknown used fox but I was going to let him use whoever he wanted, since i was just going to try to play and try to win. (I did not sandbag any of my matches, I tried to win the tournament that's all).

the primary bad thing i keep doing is asking to split. I seriously have been underestimating how bad this part has been and I will apologize for that and not do that anymore. It would have been easier for me in the past 7 years if I have never split to be honest. I have probably lost many thousands to splitting with people when I was waiting in the grand finals because they seem to not like me if i don't. All I wanted was for people to like me, so I kept splitting with them. Now it has become the norm for me, and I have a messed up mindset that players aren't even friends if they do not split, which is mainly based on the conclusion of all the experience I have. (They get mad if you take their money). I am actually being sincere about this, but in the past 5 years it has seemed that splitting went from the honorable thing to do to become a really bad thing in both communities now (when 5 years ago this was the exact opposite of today). I need to simply never ask to do that again.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I think they unbanned mango to take the focus away from this controversy. Also, love all the colors in the active viewers.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
There was NOTHING intentional. I thought it was the rule since not only has that been what it's always been, but he went to FoD twice so why couldn't I go to FD twice?. I found out later by talking to Cactuar that that wasn't the case, since I won on FoD but he lost on FD. There was NO trickery, it was a misunderstanding, that i found out afterwords. If that will be blamed on me then I am sorry for that mistake but it was NOT intentional AT ALL. I'm not like that. Many of you people gossiping about this don't know what you're talking about.
I know you well enough to believe you on that part. I don't know why others thought you were trying to "cheat" and such.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
m2k, the only thing is you've done this so many times repetitive without being sorry and now suddenly you seem sorry. But it questions me if Chibo is just making you do that as a sponsor rather than coming from the heart as "an apology"

You still have the same problems that people are looking down on you for

- Controller johns
- Stalling matches
- Bracket fixing
- Splitting
- Forfeitting
- Being emotional and causing problems
- Taking advantage of housing
- Trying to get others to pay for your travel / tournament costs
- Stealing controllers

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
M2K, if they're only going to be friends with you if you give them money they haven't earned, they're not your friends.

In regards to splitting (this goes to everyone, not just the people involved at ROM5) - there's not a lot that can be done to actually stop the action of splitting, but PLEEEEEEASE stop making it blatantly obvious that it's occurring. Unhype sandbagging is NOT what we want to show to a stream with 3500 viewers.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
While it's good of you to at least say that you acknowledge it as a bad thing M2K, you'll surely have to understand that a number of people will have a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude and will be hesitant to believe that you're sincere until they have seen a long period of time in which your actions support your words.

D

Deleted member

You and I are from a different time in the game's life span. Splitting was a common practice for people like us because at the time, money got in the way of friendship. You describe this in a vague way, but that's the core of it. The good players didn't get to play each other often and we didn't have videos to study each other with, so every set was a rare and fateful encounter that could be enjoyed more without an additional chance to lose a few thousand dollars.

The community is no longer about this high level of mutual respect. We don't play for thousands anymore, but hundreds. We don't play in the name of friendship, but rather stiff competition. The game is not about the players so much as it is for stream viewers or "potential sponsors" that will never appear.

I disagree with this shift of value, but I suppose that's a sign of my age within the community.

BunBun

Smash Master
m2k, the only thing is you've done this so many times repetitive without being sorry and now suddenly you seem sorry. But it questions me if Chibo is just making you do that as a sponsor rather than coming from the heart as "an apology"

- Controller johns
- Stalling matches
- Bracket fixing
- Splitting
- Forfeitting
- Being emotional and causing problems
- Taking advantage of housing
- Trying to get others to pay for your travel / tournament costs
- Stealing controllers
You left out leaving bodily fluids in other people's beds.

Mew2King

King of the Mews

- Controller Johns
- Stalling matches
- Bracket Fixing
- Splitting
I don't try to do ANY of this except for splitting.

Bracket fixing? do you mean ALLOWING ALUKARD TO PUT ME VS UNKNOWN INSTEAD OF EGGM, TO MAKE IT HARDER FOR ME, BUT ALLOWING THE CANADIANS TO FIGHT NEW JERSEY PLAYERS INSTEAD? Basically I allowed them to rig the bracket AGAINST me for the greater good

Seriously I went OUT OF MY WAY THERE to be nice by agreeing to that, and it was quite a stupid decision since it made the tourney bracket much harder for me

The only reason I ever do any forfeitting is cuz i get too DEPRESSED to want to play anymore. I seriously do have those problems, so I wish they would have just let me be. I guess you had to be in my position to understand but even then I really do have extremely unstable emotions that ruin everything for me smash-wise or decision-making-wise in all aspects.

I don't try to stall matches, I am USED to people always reporting their matches. Honestly this is a bad habit, because I am so used to it that i do not even think about it. I just expect situation A to happen after situation B because it always has. I understand how I could be blamed for this even though it is honestly just because of my bad habit of being too used to other people doing it every time.

I do get mad about my controller a lot. what is wrong with that? It's the truth. I truely do believe having a good controller matters a lot if you are a really technical player. I'm not going to lie and say otherwise if this is not what I actually believe. The controller was actually light shielding a lot whenever I would roll or wavedash and it would happen randomly, but most of the day that wasn't happening. Am i not supposed to be mad about that? Controller matters a lot dude.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I don't try to stall matches, I am USED to people always reporting their matches. Honestly this is a bad habit, because I am so used to it that i do not even think about it. I just expect situation A to happen after situation B because it always has. I understand how I could be blamed for this even though it is honestly just because of my bad habit of being too used to other people doing it every time.
We're talking more about for example when before game 5 against Unknown you stalled the set by warming up for 4 MINUTES.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I can understand being banned and can accept that, but i do not think I deserve it since I have had no malicious intent and did nothing wrong outside of asking for a split. I've not been forced by chibo to say any of this. I'm saying it because it's a big deal apparantly but the part I keep being accused of is splitting. All I was doing was explaing how, in the past, if i DIDNT split then my friends wouldn't like me, and how it has become the norm for me because I am scared of people disliking me for not splitting with them. It has gotten to the point where it's weird for me NOT to split and I feel they would dislike me for not splitting. My mindset on splitting has been completely different, but based on everything I've been reading it is obviously greatly looked down upon so I need to just stop doing it.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
m2k you and unknown should agree to play a pride match on stream at apex. we all wanted to see if you were gonna take a big tourney again or if unknown would finally get past a top player and win his first, and so feel a bit cheated, whether wrong or right. this would probably go a good ways towards diffusing this.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
LMFAO. I wish I was good enough that Jason would split with me at tourneys (Since every one I've been at recently has been me vs M2k WF's in brawl). Yall just mad you can't be good enough to get to that level to even be asked to split.

#TeamJason

:018:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Jason should change his avatar to a turkey because he is getting basted this Thanksgiving.

:018:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
We're talking more about for example when before game 5 against Unknown you stalled the set by warming up for 4 MINUTES.
So? Why is that bad? Would you rather see both players not warmed up, or two players that have been warmed up for a few minutes, therefore having both players playing better and doing better things in their set? I do not consider this a bad thing but rather a good thing for the quality of a later bracket set for both parties to play closer to their best than they would have otherwise.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
So? Why is that bad? Would you rather see both players not warmed up, or two players that have been warmed up for a few minutes, therefore having both players playing better and doing better things in their set? I do not consider this a bad thing but rather a good thing for the quality of a later bracket set for both parties to play closer to their best than they would have otherwise.
Do you even realize how stupid what it is you are saying? Did you even care about how Unknown felt at the time? He was riding on some momentum and you think it's alright for you to take it COMPLETELY away from him by doing some silly warmup IN THE MIDDLE OF A SET?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
To be honest, it takes different people different times for warmups. I really don't know what should be done about that (cause you have to get used to the TV and stuff), but to have it happen before every set on the same TV is a little excessive.

Everyone should calm down. I know it's easy to get swept up in the RoM disappointment (I was mad last night, lol), but putting M2K this hard on the spot is rather mean, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom