• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
for diddy i would be happy going ito FD... smashville is where the trouble's at... I would CP either japes or orpheon (or luigi's if it's legal)

as for kirby, I wouldn't worry too much about level selection... just ban whatever level you personally don't like, since a lot of kirby's strength/weaknesses are robs too... if you can, try for a level with platforms you can stay under, to stop his horizontal approaches, like yoshi's

Deadweight

Smash Ace
1. Is there an easy way to make ROB hover in place during his up-b? i usually mash B while doing it to save gas while edgeguarding but if i could hover in place i could b-air a lotta recoveries and gimp them.
2. I play a moreso aggressive ROB but it seems that a lot of ppl camp with ROB. As a result,i dont choose Japes often as a counter (lost to a snake once there due to the klap :() Should i change up to become more campy or is going rambo style suitable?
3. How do u wave bounce with ROBs gyro without B-sticking lol?
I appreciate the insight by anyone here and i look forward to learning alot and overall becoming better with my ROBOT.:chuckle:
1. Instead of mashing B. Press and hold it for ~1 sec and then let go. Rinse and repeat.
2. If your going to pick Japes vs a Snake. Camp like hell. Approaching in brawl is usually never a good idea, RoB is built to make people approach him, which means RoB usually has advantageous situations. If you are always aggressively rushing into close combat fights, Your bound to get punished hardcore.
3. It's hard to explain, Its kind of a quarter circle motion with the control stick... Itd be easier to show u i guess.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I appreciate the help. I've been getting by just stringing together moves and camping only when absolutely necessary. but I'll switch up my play style and experiment with some different things. And I'll work on wavebouncing some more as well.

NaZe

Smash Rookie
I have several problems against aa Lucas player. If he sees me hanging in the edge, he usually uses Pk Thunder, to hit me, and make stagespiking... And if i go out the edge, he strikes me with a pk thunder (hittin him)... How i could avoid that?
How i have to make DI when he hits me with his F-Smash? Thanks, im still in practice :D.

buenob

Smash Lord
drop down, jump and then U-air... if you physically hit the ball of his hunder ith either uair or fair you will cancel it out

also, if he's that close to the edge, instead of just grabbing the ledge, try doing a rising nair to hit him

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
ROB frame data?

I tried using search but i couldn't find anything. :confused:
Anyone know the frame data for ROB?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Not sure.

On another note, do we have the percentages of all of ROB's moves in a thread?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I tried using search but i couldn't find anything. :confused:
Anyone know the frame data for ROB?
No idea. Ive been trying to get my hands on that stuff for awhile now. its been brought up several times, but no one's gotten around to it.

Not sure.

On another note, do we have the percentages of all of ROB's moves in a thread?
Edit: A guide I wrote FOREEEEVERRR ago for the ladder site I usually play at. Its extremely dated; but the percents are still valid. Percents are coppied from either Frame's or Eaode's (sp?) ancient guides.

http://smashbrawlrankings.com/index.php?topic=2578.0

Its in section IV

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Two pages back, dudes...

I figured NL would post it, and I'm pretty sure somebody posted it somewhere else around here, but... Start-up frame data:

Jab = 3 frames
UTilt = 4 frames, USmash = 12 frames
FTilt = 7 frames, FSmash = 13 frames
DTilt = 3 frames, DSmash = 4 frames
NAir = 18 frames, UAir = 7 frames, FAir = 7 frames, BAir = 11 frames, DAir = 20 frames
Laser (B) = 25 frames, ROFLCOPTER (side-B) = 17 frames, Gyro (down-B) = 21 frames
Dash Attack = 7 frames
Grab = 6 frames, Dash Grab = 9 frames, Pivot Grab = 10 frames

This was just what I had a friend test and report to me, since I don't have the tools to do it myself. Is it accurate? I assume so. I don't know how long the hitboxes stay out. I don't know the ending lag on the attacks. I don't know if the Gyro data is from a fully charged release or from a charging state, not sure why I didn't ask at the time (or write it down if I did).

It would be nice if we could get more complete data and verify the accuracy of my information here. What was that Smash Lab supposed to be doing... ?

Mr.E

Smash Lord
"It would be nice if we could get more complete data and verify the accuracy of my information here. " i.e. I don't know **** beyond what I posted, somebody with the tools and know-how eventually needs to do it. :[ Not like you can powershield between hits or whatever, not sure what you're asking there...

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Maybe if we keep posting about it, we'll get it one day.

:)

Anyway... so you're on the stage and you KO your opponent. Assuming that your gyro is completely uncharged (and not already out), do you:

A. Fully charge the gyro all the way and not have a chance to immediately do anything with it
B. Send out a much weaker gyro and immediately grab it before the opponent respawns

I want to hear what other people do, or if you do each of them in the same match. I never really thought about it but I guess I do both, though more charging. This can lead to shielding and a waste of a fully charged gyro. Which one do you do/think is better?

noodles

Smash Champion
if its charged longer it'll stay on the floor alive longer. but obviously if its charged too much itll fall off of the stage (depending on where you are). and the only other 2 outcomes are either they sheild it and it disappears or you hit them and have chances to grab it again.

BEWARE REFLECTORS

either way its worth the charge

Sudai

Stuff here
I always charge my gyro just to the point before full charge. Actually, even if my gyro is fully charged at the time I'll shoot it off the stage just so I can get my mostly charged gyro. People usually forget its close to fully charged so yay surprise.

I never shoot it out onto the stage to get in hand because it's rather easy for me to drop it on the ledge if I need one in hand quickly. Just shoot it as you're falling past the edge and woo, free gyro basically.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It depends. I change my plans based on how I read my opponent. If they are shield-happy and do a lot of rolling/ basically if they are defensive, I charge it. If they're offensive and don't shield as much, I'll grab it so I can get a few glide toss >Fsmash/Dsmash/Grabs in.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
there is really never any reason to want a gyro on stage instead of having a charged gyro when your opponent is dead lol

noodles

Smash Champion
it Depends. I Change My Plans Based On How I Read My Opponent. If They Are Shield-happy And Do A Lot Of Rolling/ Basically If They Are Defensive, I Charge It. If They're Offensive And Don't Shield As Much, I'll Grab It So I Can Get A Few Glide Toss >fsmash/dsmash/grabs In.

Dont ****ing Roll

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
In the meta knight match up I find myself spot dodging /d smashing whenever the opponent gets close. It works somewhat effectively but what other moves or techniques can I use to defend myself against an approaching meta knight when f tilt will just be canceled out?

TEECO

Smash Ace
You can shield grab instead of Dsmash. Theres not that much you can do when a MK is up in your grill.
Instead of spot dodging though, try shielding, then dsmash right after their move finishes. It works much better.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ok guys, question. I am too campy and rely on camping too much. I was playing M@v's Fox and he knows how to get around my camping. What are some good tactics to use for an aggro ROB?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
fair to airdodge

when you airdodge, buffer something. it's basically the best approach ROB has. buffer another jump if you want, doesn't matter.

double fair is situational but it works

same with fair to bair

you mostly want to approach with fairs and ftilts

also a glide tossed gyro can combo into a lot of things, that's always an option.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
it's not so much about being aggressive as it is about controlling space. Don't stay in his face where he can **** you with dairs and tilts and don't stay too far away where he can rack up damage on you very quickly while avoiding ROBs significantly weaker camping attempts.

I can't really tell you what you should do when you're at that magical happy medium distance, because every situation will be different, but this would be a good starting point.

I feel like such a nub...I never really buffer anything >_>

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Any character that has an option at medium distance will always beat ROB. You always want to be in your own ftilt range, or out of your opponents range. Any other ranges are bad!

Most foxes are very susceptible to being grabbed, and Fox's fast fall speed makes it a bit easier to chase him afterwards (though that shine stalling is very annoying -_-). But, try grabbing more against him.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm always buffering when I'm being aggro. I've almost always got my Bair or Fair buffered when I UpB, or an Nair/Bair/Fair buffered when approaching. Fox is so fast. :(

stingers

Smash Obsessed
When do you UpB?

UpB onstage is never rarely good. If you're offstage, you shouldn't be using it so close to your opponent that you would be hitting with a buffered move. ROB has a very linear recovery, but also a very powerful one. Let them chase you offstage as much as they want, then use your Up-B when they back off.

And you should never use nair as an approach move. Ever.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
but for a buffered aerial to hit them you'd have to use up b like right next to them

why not just use the aerial <.<

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well then just fall past them with the aerial...takes less time and is just as safe because rob is a ****ing beast XD

buenob

Smash Lord
i actually like staying further out of ftilt range... laser, sh->fair and gyro are all rediculously safe options slightly further out, and not only do they have to get through those moves, but then you are in ftilt range, which is a great range to be in (as you say)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
theres nothing wrong with staying out of ftilt range as long as your not in your opponents range. re-read my post.

buenob

Smash Lord
i find that even the 'medium ranged' characters.. falco, pit, tink, lucas... i still like staying just outside of ftilt range... I just shield their 'options' and slowly approach... usually I end up pushing them against the edge of the level

buenob

Smash Lord
lol, i think thats where my style differs from most.. I find ROB has such a variety of different approaches, each good and covers different potential counters, and because he has so many good approaches (nair is not included) theres great mindgames opportunities

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
lol, i think thats where my style differs from most.. I find ROB has such a variety of different approaches, each good and covers different potential counters, and because he has so many good approaches (nair is not included) theres great mindgames opportunities
Yea your right, and when the time comes to approach the Gyro makes is so much Fun. lol Z drop on the shield to aerial, or glidetoss to whatever lol

Mr.E

Smash Lord
NAir is not an approach, it is a "mix it in there every once in a while and see if they run into it or you punish a spot dodge."

Top Bottom