• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
ya aerow is gonna make the rest of us step up :) it's unknown to us if the marth is bad, or if he just couldn't keep up with your sexiness... keep it up!

Sudai

Stuff here
On the Marth's side, he didn't look good to me, but I think the issue may have been that he simply couldn't keep up with the speed and pressure since there's very few ROBs who play like that. I definitely saw a lot of room for improvement on Aerow's side (mainly spacing issues but there's more) so I'm pretty sure the Marth has even more room to grow. XP

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I certainly wanna find out a way to consistently pull off the reverse up+b out of a run... WITHOUT tap jump on. I can get it to change direction&momentum suddenly, but never the direction & keep the same momentum.

:(

Anyway... it was really entertaining. The Marth wasn't spectacular by a long shot, but as Sudai said- Im sure a "fast ROB" definately caught him by surprise- and judging by the commentary it caught a lot of the people watching offguard as well. Good stuff tho.

Aerow

Smash Rookie
On the Marth's side, he didn't look good to me, but I think the issue may have been that he simply couldn't keep up with the speed and pressure since there's very few ROBs who play like that. I definitely saw a lot of room for improvement on Aerow's side (mainly spacing issues but there's more) so I'm pretty sure the Marth has even more room to grow. XP
yeah my rob does need improvement.

Sudai

Stuff here
Every player can improve in some manner, don't get me wrong. At the very least I think your ROB looks fairly unique (considering MaXXX hasn't posted videos in a loooooong time) and since all the ROBs that still play are in an uproar about advancing ROB's metagame, you might be the key they need. :p

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Anyone ever play around with doing glide-tosses out of dash-turnarouns (dont really know if it could be called a dashcancel)

Like... you know how you can dash one way, dash the other & do things out of the dash attack; most notably smash attacks?

Well, I was thinking (& did some experimenting) that you can start a shield in the same frame window as the smashes. If you can shield, then you can glide-toss., resulting in a forward movement *before* your glide-toss (which is performed directly out of a dash instead of having to stop, and THEN glide toss).

It works easiest with glide-tossing so that you move backwards, but doing it so you move forward works.

I don't know how useful it will be in terms of "difficulty vs reward", but with it you can:

retreat via dash->feign an advance->retreat with glide-toss
retreat via dash->immediately advance with a glide toss
etc. etc.

If nothing else, it gives you another way to digsuise your glidetoss and catch the opponent by surprise.

Anyone messed around with this at all, or knew about it??

Also... srs bsns... is there a way to pivot the up+B without a harsh momentum reversal (basically... just turning your up+B around and keeping the same momentum like in Aerow's vid) WITHOUT tapjump on? If so, how? If not, gimme the specifics on how to do it with TJ *on* (as I can still only get the completely reversed momentum).

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Also... srs bsns... is there a way to pivot the up+B without a harsh momentum reversal (basically... just turning your up+B around and keeping the same momentum like in Aerow's vid) WITHOUT tapjump on? If so, how? If not, gimme the specifics on how to do it with TJ *on* (as I can still only get the completely reversed momentum).
Yes, I do this all the time to edgeguard, with tap jump off. You just kinda roll the stick backwards when you up-B, without slamming it. Honestly I find it easier than wavebouncing the up-B. I can't really explain it that well though, it just happens :p

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Yes, I do this all the time to edgeguard, with tap jump off. You just kinda roll the stick backwards when you up-B, without slamming it. Honestly I find it easier than wavebouncing the up-B. I can't really explain it that well though, it just happens :p
And, this is directly from the ground, correct?

Once im in the air with the up B, its no problem. Im just trying to incorporate the 'from the ground' asepct into my game.

Thanks for the help JC :)

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I remember when JCZ couldn't reverse Up-B from the ground. Haha.

Yeah Dull, me and JCZ both do it from the ground with tap jump off.
Whilst running, too?

LoL, i remember when JC posted that also, something about how he just RAR'd it instead or something.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh from the ground? :ohwell: You didn't say that in your post.

I still suck at the ground one. But I know for a fact it's possible with tap jump off.

Sudai

Stuff here
I thought you got better at it JCZ? It is possible to do it from the ground with tap-jump off. That or I just got amazing at RARing it and never realized it. lol

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
10Ilovepussys

but on the real, I never messed with reverse upB IN THE AIR...I need to get on that Summer08 Doodleman stuff...reverse from the ground though? that's my favorite!

I'm gonna be way more aggressive at tomorrow's tourney...I think I'll have vids. I'll put them up if they're good =D

edit: I have no idea if they will be...I can't remember the last time I practiced Brawl...it's been months :( the only thing that kept me going was the community, and now that's finally picking up again yayyyy ^_^

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I figured NL would post it, and I'm pretty sure somebody posted it somewhere else around here, but... Start-up frame data:

Jab = 3 frames
UTilt = 4 frames, USmash = 12 frames
FTilt = 7 frames, FSmash = 13 frames
DTilt = 3 frames, DSmash = 4 frames
NAir = 18 frames, UAir = 7 frames, FAir = 7 frames, BAir = 11 frames, DAir = 20 frames
Laser (B) = 25 frames, ROFLCOPTER (side-B) = 17 frames, Gyro (down-B) = 21 frames
Dash Attack = 7 frames
Grab = 6 frames, Dash Grab = 9 frames, Pivot Grab = 10 frames

This was just what I had a friend test and report to me, since I don't have the tools to do it myself. Is it accurate? I assume so. I don't know how long the hitboxes stay out. I don't know the ending lag on the attacks. I don't know if the Gyro data is from a fully charged release or from a charging state, not sure why I didn't ask at the time (or write it down if I did).

It would be nice if we could get more complete data and verify the accuracy of my information here. What was that Smash Lab supposed to be doing... ?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I thought you got better at it JCZ? It is possible to do it from the ground with tap-jump off. That or I just got amazing at RARing it and never realized it. lol
LoL. Ya, its possible to do it with tap-jump off, as Ive done it on accident a couple of times- and I have no idea how to replicate it consistently. I always get the wave-bounce-esque up+ B from the ground (which is easy -_-'), but that 1% of the time, I get the simple turn-around from the ground.

EdgetheDeathless

Smash Rookie
I may be playing at apex on may 9th and tenth, and infinates are legal up to 300 percent, what characters does ROB have to watch out for? Thanks in advance!

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
ZSS- infinite
DDD- D-throw infinite against a wall
Maybe Ike against a wall
IC's infinites (but, you should wreck them without getting grabbed anyway)
A lot of tilt/jab locks against walls.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
GW's d-tilt lock is the most devastating of them for sure, just don't play with ur back to a wall though and ur good

Sudai

Stuff here
Basically just avoid walls. ICs and ZSS are the only two that can infinite us without a wall. ICs if you get grabbed you deserve to lose a stock. ZSS...well, don't get DSmashed.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I always use the walls to do some gyro and tilt tricks but that's more personal preference then anything else

Sudai

Stuff here
When I say "Avoid walls" I mean avoid being between a wall and an enemy. Walls are good for everyone and ROB does indeed have some nice tricks using them.

TEECO

Smash Ace
Lol walls are fun to throw people agaisnt.

Im still working on the reverse up B and all that good stuff IN THE ACTUAL match and its an pain to get use to. Is there an in-depth guide of it? Or at least a thorough walkthrough?

Sudai

Stuff here
Im still working on the reverse up B and all that good stuff IN THE ACTUAL match and its an pain to get use to.
This is why in every game I've played, I learned the tech skill during actual matches. Makes things a lot easier in the long run. Actually, I just never cared enough to spend time playing any fighter by myself. Haha. It's worked out well for me regardless. : )

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
As long as you have a list of things in mind and spend time in friendlies working on it you're all set. Whenever I need to learn something I focus on it for a while 'til it's second nature to me. I play ****ty for a bit, but eventually when I don't need to focus on it anymore things go back to normal.

I guess that's a good tip for anyone really.

TEECO

Smash Ace
I learned to pivot grab in Brawl, not Melee so when I first tried to piovt grab in matches, I would mess up so hard. I didnt want to have my soul crushed, so I practiced it before I used it in my game.

In the final analysis, its going to be a pain regardless. Theres just a preference on how you want to recive that pain.

I can relate to you omegawhitemage, same happens with me. It's so nice getting back to your normal playing style with something new to do.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Pivot grabbing in Melee was marginally less useful then in Brawl.

In brawl however it's a big deal because A.)It's a tech which people are still starving for. B.)It's great for punishing predictable opponents.

Sudai

Stuff here
I don't think it's really fair comparing Melee's pivots to Brawl's "pivot grab". You can do "Melee Pivots" in Brawl but they call them "True Pivots" in Brawl and a "True Pivot Grab" is about as useful in Brawl as it was in Melee.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
True.

C.) Lengthens the grab's range
D.) Ends the lag time on a running grab
Doesn't a pivot grab with rob take a frame longer than a running grab?

I don't think it's really fair comparing Melee's pivots to Brawl's "pivot grab". You can do "Melee Pivots" in Brawl but they call them "True Pivots" in Brawl and a "True Pivot Grab" is about as useful in Brawl as it was in Melee.
This is also true, comparing the 2 isn't really fair.

Sudai

Stuff here
Doesn't a pivot grab with rob take a frame longer than a running grab?
It does. The range is also rather negligible. Pivot Grab for ROB is basically worthless. Sure you can grab MK's tornado and drill-rush, but FSmash achieves the same thing and is easier. Only real use for it is running away and grabbing as they chase you or running past a shield and pivot grabbing to punish spot dodges.

Top Bottom