• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Thanks OS!

I now have another problem. I just can't seem to ever defeat Meta Knight. He isn't that good because when I switched to Snake, which is really good against MK, I was able to almost defeat him. I'm not that good at Snake. Anyways, I want to be able to beat him with ROB, but if that isn't possible, what is the best counter-pick character when playing a Meta Knight.

He likes to do a dash attack and then a Dmash, he will also use his Up Smash a lot. He will keep on chasing me when I'm over the ledge until my UpB runs out and I fall to my doom. When I am at higher %s, he will is his Up B to try and kill me.

I really need some advice against Meta Knight. If the best way is to change to a counter-pick character, who should I choose?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
One. All multi hit moves count as one with the exception of the jab, which counts as two. That means when your opponent is at about 60%, you want to land jabs when you can! Two jabs is two moves closer to having a fully charged nair!

ROB can beat Metaknight, but it is hard. If you are having trouble, I suggest going Snake (uphill battle for MK), G&W (even battle for MK), DK (even battle for MK), or Falco (uphill battle for MK).

I'll have videos of me vs. Kel uploaded soon, hopefully. They were recorded at the last tournament I went to. Kel took a set from me then I came back from the losers and beat him. Again. Always from the losers bracket. Starting to piss me off, honestly; I ALWAYS lose in the winners bracket towards the end and ALWAYS come back and win two sets. Been that way for 3 or 4 tournaments now.

Nacker, wait until you see me vs. Anther. OMGGGGGGGGG

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
I'll ask questions now...

VS Snake.
I understand this is a max camping war. Once he gets inside and under you, how the hell are you supposed to get away/him off you? Say, how to handle him at large/medium/close range, as well as recovering/not letting him get under you? Not many vids on Snake, and we got a lot of Snakes where I'm at.

Glide Tossing
I have a rather difficult time executing it without flaw. Any tricks on how you learned it faster would be neat. (It's a really quick execution, that's about all I know.) Also, are there two versions of it? I usually end up tossing, but getting 1/3 of the distance of a full glide toss. Also, what would you suggest I open with the glide toss? Grab/D-Smash/F-Smash?

noodles

Smash Champion
um so like what about the R.O.B. on R.O.B. matchup? i played this rob player at a tourny last month and we played EXACTLY the same.. that being said he was alot flashier and taught me glide toss to dsmash is amazing lol

mebe u missed it due to same avatar

vs snake ftilts are good and wen recovering its best to fly up high to avoid fsmash edgeguard

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
One. All multi hit moves count as one with the exception of the jab, which counts as two. That means when your opponent is at about 60%, you want to land jabs when you can! Two jabs is two moves closer to having a fully charged nair!

ROB can beat Metaknight, but it is hard. If you are having trouble, I suggest going Snake (uphill battle for MK), G&W (even battle for MK), DK (even battle for MK), or Falco (uphill battle for MK).

I'll have videos of me vs. Kel uploaded soon, hopefully. They were recorded at the last tournament I went to. Kel took a set from me then I came back from the losers and beat him. Again. Always from the losers bracket. Starting to piss me off, honestly; I ALWAYS lose in the winners bracket towards the end and ALWAYS come back and win two sets. Been that way for 3 or 4 tournaments now.

Nacker, wait until you see me vs. Anther. OMGGGGGGGGG
Ok, I can't wait to see your video. I'm going to try and beat MKs with Rob, but if that fails, I'll come in with Falco.

ShumPenPo

Smash Apprentice
What's the difference in button inputs (or how do you do ) between

1) boosting an up+B he opposite way your facing for a fast retreat/attack
2) turning around with your up+B while maintaining forward momentum (i find better than 'RAR'ing most of the time)
3) turning around your up+B but stopping your forward momentum
4) boosting an up+B the direction you're facing for a fast attack/retreat (harder than going the opposite direction for me :l )

all done from the ground.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
overswarm i have a simple question: What do you feel is the most important thing for good ROB players to have an understanding of. I'm looking for answer along the lines of glide tossing, spacing, ect. Maybe my question is too vaque.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
how do you glide toss up? I can only do it forward and its a bit of a pain when fighting characters with reflectors...
Also, is there a good use for the forward-B? I sometimes throw in a few into a match and sometimes it helps while other times it doesn't...

Sharky

Smash Master
glide tossing in other directions requires the c-stick to throw (tap the stick in whatever direction you want to throw it) =)

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
how do you glide toss up? I can only do it forward and its a bit of a pain when fighting characters with reflectors...
Also, is there a good use for the forward-B? I sometimes throw in a few into a match and sometimes it helps while other times it doesn't...

as yoshinator has pointed out you use the C-stick to throw it in other directions

and about the sideB...

there are a few threads talking about it, i suggest you look around XD
(namely a thread called "ROB forward B Compilation" and "The Robocopter")

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I have noticed in some of your matches it seems like you hit your opponent with bair even though it looks like the attack has ended, so I was wondering how long does bair, dair, fair, and Usmash stay out?

Awesomesauce

Smash Rookie
to trick people u can always run straight at them do a quick shield and roll backwards. also using the bair with rob when trying to get back on stage uses less gas or whatever his up-B is. i also always try to charge up his down B just because it can get useful when getting back on stages, same with the lasers. when they are off the cliff, fair them as much as possible!! unless they can fly like pit, kirby, etc. when hanging on the cliff, dont be afriad to tap down then do a quick jump and fair or nair them (you can do uair if they are standing right at the ledge). This basically enables u to get back on the stage and get a hit off of them when they are trying to guard the ledge.

btw, i wasnt responding to anypost, just tips for ROB.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
to trick people u can always run straight at them do a quick shield and roll backwards. also using the bair with rob when trying to get back on stage uses less gas or whatever his up-B is. i also always try to charge up his down B just because it can get useful when getting back on stages, same with the lasers. when they are off the cliff, fair them as much as possible!! unless they can fly like pit, kirby, etc. when hanging on the cliff, dont be afriad to tap down then do a quick jump and fair or nair them (you can do uair if they are standing right at the ledge). This basically enables u to get back on the stage and get a hit off of them when they are trying to guard the ledge.

btw, i wasnt responding to anypost, just tips for ROB.
Hm i think that almost all of those tips have been covered but thanks for the info for people who wont read 17 pages

Edit: 20 pages

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Idk bout you guys but my friend Teba has an insane DDD and he kills any ROB that comes his way.
CG all the way and finally kills then.
The also idk what kinda Snake player everyone else faces but the ones I face are just brilliant then cuz they beat every ROB as well.
G&W is an exception cuz hes really good against him.
Lucario and Olimar are nuetral I think.
And Warios are something else with there amazing DI ability and power.

What advice could you give me about these match ups OS?
DDD?
Snake?
Olimar?
Lucario?
Wario?

Davy!

Smash Rookie
well, i'm new to smash boards and i've just been wanting to ask you some questions.
i main rob myself and i just cant get some techniques down.

can anyof u guys show me how to jablock with robs dtilt?
its too slow for me to do so i want to see if its even possible to lock with it
is there anyway to beat a good MK player since my friend plays him,
i can beat everybody he plays except MK.
is it the same that the more u use B moves the dmg is reduced?
or is that only for A moves?
whos a generally pro rob player that has videos to show?
im new to the fourms so please be nice! =D

bajisci

Smash Ace
what are robs best counterpick stages??

and maybe a few tips for d3, got ***** by them at a recent tournament

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
it really depends on your opponent

if they are small and light chars i would go for BF or yoshi's or lylat for easier ceiling kills
if they do not have any projectiles id go for longer and wider stages such as FD or SV
if they are Pikachu I would go for BF as it mitigates their spam game but not yours so much.

I prefer BF vs most chars because of the platforms + Rob's upsmash and because you have a mini shield on top of you for their projectiles.

other stages are neutral and ok, but you really wanna use your counterpick stage to ur adv rather than choosing a neutral one

im sure there were questions about stages in the earlier parts of this thread, you should search around
same goes for DDD

noodles

Smash Champion
i used to pick halberd but delfinos the way to go . not many hazards that cud kill you but the water does wonders for meteor kills.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Luigi's Mansion and Frigate Orpheon are all you need as ROB. If they ban one, pick the other.

whitshadw8

Smash Rookie
Hi OS, I like your videos a lot. The thing I like best about your R.O.B. is that it always has a sidestep and then a quick/unexpected dsmash. It's a pretty basic strategy but I like looking at R.O.B's dsmash a lot.
I main Peach but I think I'm going to give R.O.B. a good go also now that I've been inspired.

Dude, I just read your thread (from the beginning) and I must say that I like the cut of your jib. My favorite part was your excerpt on Brick Walls; that **** was dope.

I seem to have a problem facing Peaches and ...
I found this quote from page 7 of this thread and realized that it was still pretty much unanswered. All I can say is that from all my matches as Peach against R.O.B., I usually lose if the R.O.B. is a good camper. Maybe it's my playin style or something but the fact that R.O.B's projectiles are stronger and farther ranged can really be taken advantaged of.

A upclose Peach and R.O.B battle is pretty much even in my opinion. Peach has gotten a bit faster compared to Melee, but since R.O.B has stronger hits all you have to do is just play smart. R.O.B's bair should pretty good if the Peach floats towards you to do a dair or fair(which she usually would do)

Oh, I almost forgot, if you're at 0-40% she might feel like chaingrabin you, so keep that in mind also (though her CG isn't infinite).

That's all I have to say.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
what are robs best counterpick stages??

and maybe a few tips for d3, got ***** by them at a recent tournament
Try to pick Luigis mansion, Skyworld (if possible) and the rest is dependent on the character the opponent uses.

As far as D3, all he has to do is CG lol
But yea you have to play a very smart camp game
Because all he needs is one grab and next thing you know your CG all the way to the end on the stage.

I dont think ROB has the advantage over D3

But if played with good projectile game and spacing and not being grabbed then Im sure its possible.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Whorenado = Derogatory term for Meta Knight's neutral b attack, the Tornado.

R.O.B. does not have one, seeing as the closest move R.O.B. has to it would be the side-b. And the side-b is a ludicrously bad move in general.

bajisci

Smash Ace
thanks for the replys ill have to try out skyworld, whats everyones opinion on rainbow cruise as a rob stage in general?

Top Bottom