• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Lol. Funniness abounds. Also:

Nacker.. i saw that ****.... don't forget that ROB's Fsmash actually [if timed correctly] out prioritizes MK's NeutralB... so his tornado is basically useless if you time it correctly [and that is like a free smash atk if the MK plyr wts 2 b tard'd]. You're Uair also WILL come out faster than MK's Dair if you do it to follow up your Utilts.. so right there is a free 26-28%. Honestly i've been having ALOT less trouble w/ MK's recently due to the fact that if you Gyro camp [not lazer camp.. wait for your large beam, and get him off the ledge and force him to glide so you can Nair, and out-prioritize his GlideAtk]. If you're off the ledge, just be weary of his UpB [which is really the ONLY move in the entirty of Brawl that can affectively gimp ROB] so generally you can be pretty safe, if you Tap UpB above him, [whilst spamming Fairs/Hovering Nairs to keep him away.. b/c ROB can gimp MK quite low off the top (i would say around Nair- 80ish, Uair- 110ish)] and just land somewhere in the middle of the stage.

No Johns. [wait that was Kirbstir right?] /sigh

You're better than this. We ain't no WestCoaster Son.

Step it up.
That's almost exactly why I don't have problems with Metaknight anymore.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I have a question.
How do we get people like Chozen to quit being so hypocritical?
R.O.B. is too awesome to have so many lame posts in this forum.

We'll work on getting his R.O.B. on par with the rest of the community later

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I have a question.
How do we get people like Chozen to quit being so hypocritical?
R.O.B. is too awesome to have so many lame posts in this forum.

We'll work on getting his R.O.B. on par with the rest of the community later
We realize that anyone named T0MMY has yet to contribute anything worthwhile and shouldn't spam in the most popular ROB thread in the ROB forum and accept that even when Chozen posts silly things, he at the same time gives advice and has videos posted unlike the entire west coast that is surprisingly videoless.

oh snap, he went there

Okay, every tournament I have been to, even if I lost with R.O.B. I at least felt like I had control of the match. Not so whenever I play a DeDeDe, whether it's a good DeDeDe (like Nicktendo's) o just not good at all. For some reason, there's something about DeDeDe that makes him a very difficult match-up for me.

I think a primary issue is that it seems really difficult to approach him in any vertical fashion, and approaching him horizontally through the air is very tricky. It turns into a camping game, which R.O.B. eeeeasily has down, but DeDeDe always ends up approaching quickly and effectively enough to make such a game difficult. Thus, you eventually have to go for the kill, which I'm finding extremely hard.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I don't have much trouble with Dedede as far as figuring stuff out, but simple mistakes can cost you the game while for him it merely racks up damage. It's a pretty rough matchup for ROB.

1. I usually die by his b-air, dash attack, or the random Gordo (which is sorta rare). In particular, the b-air is because it's just so fast and the dash attack is because it always catches me off guard.
I get caught off guard by the dash attack all the time. A good rule of thumb is whenever he dashes towards you to short hop backwards and fair when he gets close. All he can do is shield, and most D3's don't do a dash attack from super close range so it switches up a bit.

As for his bair, man... just watch out. That's all you can do.

2. I can't seem to gimp him whatsoever. I can keep attacking him as he's floating back, but I can't find any point in his Up+B to attack him effectively, i.e. no super armor, other than his Up +B's descent, which is extremely deadly and risky to approach.
Wait for him to land and hit him with a nair. That's all you can do. Occasionally you can get off a lucky fair to dair combo, but if Dedede has a brain this won't work. Try it every once in a while though; he can't punish it.

3. Chaingrabbing doesn't work as much on R.O.B. as other characters, but it's still a problem, especially if they're smart enough to end it with a b-throw, which is an instant 16% damage.
Again, if he dashes towards you, short hop backwards and fair if he gets close. You shouldn't be getting grabbed much at all in this matchup.

4. I think he's unapproachable vertically because of his u-air, d-air, and u-tilt. These consistently have wrecked my approach.
Gotta bait that stuff! Your up+b is a surprisingly good approach against Dedede when he's in the air. Fun tip: if you use your up+b off the ground and he hits you, you still have your second jump!

Just wait for the dair and then do a rising u-air. Gotta get that damage!

5. His hammer has absurd range. You really really have to take advantage of disjointed hitboxes.
His hammer is also laggy as hell. D3 can be punished after all of his moves. I charge a gyro and keep it until I seem him start to jab or something else like that and then I nail him with it. The glide toss comes after this; it is a wonderful approach to D3. I like doing the glide toss to grab against D3, although the glide toss to short hop forward air (time it right so you grab your gyro again!) can mess him up too.

Your main goal in this matchup is to just pelt him with small attacks and combos until you can force him to use his up+b, then kill him out of that.

6. He is ****ing heavy. I find it difficult to kill him unless he's beyond 200%.
You and me both.

7. There are basically only two consistent ways I have been killing DeDeDe. One has been through f-smash. The other has been through some attack that sends him up very high followed by Up+B chase and n-air for a ceiling kill.
You should be able to kill him with a nair fairly easily. If D3 DIs poorly, a fully charged laser can kill him fairly quickly after you knock ihm off the stage.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
We realize that anyone named T0MMY has yet to contribute anything worthwhile and shouldn't spam in the most popular ROB thread in the ROB forum and accept that even when Chozen posts silly things, he at the same time gives advice and has videos posted unlike the entire west coast that is surprisingly videoless.

oh snap, he went there

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I don't have much trouble with Dedede as far as figuring stuff out, but simple mistakes can cost you the game while for him it merely racks up damage. It's a pretty rough matchup for ROB.

I get caught off guard by the dash attack all the time. A good rule of thumb is whenever he dashes towards you to short hop backwards and fair when he gets close. All he can do is shield, and most D3's don't do a dash attack from super close range so it switches up a bit.

As for his bair, man... just watch out. That's all you can do.

Wait for him to land and hit him with a nair. That's all you can do. Occasionally you can get off a lucky fair to dair combo, but if Dedede has a brain this won't work. Try it every once in a while though; he can't punish it.

Again, if he dashes towards you, short hop backwards and fair if he gets close. You shouldn't be getting grabbed much at all in this matchup.

Gotta bait that stuff! Your up+b is a surprisingly good approach against Dedede when he's in the air. Fun tip: if you use your up+b off the ground and he hits you, you still have your second jump!

Just wait for the dair and then do a rising u-air. Gotta get that damage!

His hammer is also laggy as hell. D3 can be punished after all of his moves. I charge a gyro and keep it until I seem him start to jab or something else like that and then I nail him with it. The glide toss comes after this; it is a wonderful approach to D3. I like doing the glide toss to grab against D3, although the glide toss to short hop forward air (time it right so you grab your gyro again!) can mess him up too.

Your main goal in this matchup is to just pelt him with small attacks and combos until you can force him to use his up+b, then kill him out of that.

You and me both.

You should be able to kill him with a nair fairly easily. If D3 DIs poorly, a fully charged laser can kill him fairly quickly after you knock ihm off the stage.
Cool, cool. I've realized that the retreating fair tactic is extremely effective.

I guess I should also be more aggressive in pursuing his Up+B. I think I reached a point where I was just psychologically opposed to approaching it due to memories of lots of bad f-ups. Something I need to work on I guess.

I also need to avoid getting grabbed, so I'll try out the backwards short-hop to f-air dealie.

Thanks.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
My problem with DDDs is that I tend to roll/stand dodge then Dsmash, and his laggy hammer makes me occasionally fall into it. But that is just me...

T0MMY

Smash Master
Of course I don't post anything worthwhile. I only wrote an entire ROB guide. Read much?
I'm sure I had videos posted before Chozen even played the game. Seems like you don't make any effort by not reading posts and not watching videos when you make claims about east coast/midwest being so good in your big kids voice.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Of course I don't post anything worthwhile. I only wrote an entire ROB guide. Read much?
I'm sure I had videos posted before Chozen even played the game. Seems like you don't make any effort by not reading posts and not watching videos when you make claims about east coast/midwest being so good in your big kids voice.
Gratz T0MMY! You have more money than me <(^_^)b

I've seen your videos... and Chozen is NOT impressed.

As for your ROB guide.. i'm sure it takes alot of skill @ Brawl to take the time to write down damage percents, and not give matchup advice like a good guide would... but you're right T0MMY... i'm clearly a terrible player, and the fact that i play w/ Candy and Boss on a regular basis makes me trash. Maybe you should come to the MidWest some time and play some of their best.. maybe that will be a large wakeup call...

Personally i would love to see you waste your money on a plane ticket to Reagan National, put up a bunch of money in MM's... lose; and then get last at one of our fabulous tourneys...

But i'm not quite "T0MMY-esc" in order to warrant that sort of behavior.

Good Day Sir.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
So on a semi related note.. i've been trying to figure out how to cause your momentum to consistently move forward [i know we've all done it when charging a gyro in the air, ROB is facing left, but goes right really fast or vis versa..] whilst starting the charge on your gyro...

Does anyone know how it works.. b/c if WE [the ROB community] can figure this out.. if your gyro is on the ground somewhere or being held he will have quite the nice WaveDash...

Lets do this people ^_^

[except you T0MMY.. btw did you know that you can use the c-stick or smashattacks??!! just figured it might help your game so you can Dsmash more].

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You have to hadoken it.

Jump to the left, then rotate the stick from left to right and charge the gyro in the middle. You go WOOSH to the right.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
hmm.. in that case i have some VERY serious tech skill to work on...

OS- do you know if you can do it repeatedly in the same direction if you are holding onto your Gyro?

seems to Chozen that ROB may never run out of gas again ^_^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
man, gyrodashing, that could be useful

Does your gyro being out affect whether this works on not?

T0MMY

Smash Master
Gratz T0MMY! You have more money than me <(^_^)b
Yes, thank you, I win some of that money in tourneys, and earn the rest at my job. Thanks again.

I've seen your videos... and Chozen is NOT impressed.
You mean the pre-release tournaments? Like I said, I had videos up before you were playing the game, thanks. I often wonder about people who talk in third person.

As for your ROB guide.. i'm sure it takes alot of skill @ Brawl to take the time to write down damage percents, and not give matchup advice like a good guide would... but you're right T0MMY...
Yes, the guide that has everything except matchups, because I quit frequenting SWF since its started manifesting people posting like you. If you read the note in it I said I wasn't going to update here.
i'm clearly a terrible player, and the fact that i play w/ Candy and Boss on a regular basis makes me trash. Maybe you should come to the MidWest some time and play some of their best.. maybe that will be a large wakeup call...
See, there you go again, I never said you were terrible. I called you out on your big-talk. OMG I'm so good, west coast sucks.
I really don't know who Boss is, but last I saw of him at a west coast tourney people were saying Jigglypuff wasn't very good. Not trying to put the man down, but that's just what I heard, I don't even know if he played Jigglypuff or if it's the same guy, so I hope you understand why I don't see how mentioning him will mean anything.

And I'd love to go to the midwest sometime. Please inform me of when a good tournament is happening and where and I'll try to make it. Until I go play in one of those you're just going to be a baby saying your region is better than everyone elses.

But i'm not quite "T0MMY-esc" in order to warrant that sort of behavior.
Good luck getting more t0mmy-esque.

[btw did you know that you can use the c-stick or smashattacks??!! just figured it might help your game so you can Dsmash more].
Thanks, for your advice. It's a little basic, but I'll keep it in mind.

Good day, sir

Overswarm

is laughing at you
hmm.. in that case i have some VERY serious tech skill to work on...

OS- do you know if you can do it repeatedly in the same direction if you are holding onto your Gyro?

seems to Chozen that ROB may never run out of gas again ^_^
hoyl crap.

I didn't think of that.

O_O

I can't test cuz my wii is gone right now ;(

game_tip

Smash Cadet
Please keep up the good work in this thread :)
I feel that R.O.B. is #1 in the game and should be proven so!

Nair makes Metaknight's B worthless!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I want to see some ROB vs. Mario vids. I've heard a lot of theorycraft about Mario doing well against ROB, and I wanna see boss in action!

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
to answer chozen's curiosity...

no it doesnt work :[

i just tested it,
the reason why you change directions when you pivot your gyro is because your using your jumps momentum. not your DI

try using all your jumps and then upB all the way to the top of the stage
then try pivoting the gyro as you would on the ground. it doesnt move because you needed to use your jumps to do it.

its using the same mechanics as the lucas's zap jump. he needs to use his jumps do it (only we dont get that amazing uber super jump afterwards...)

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
to answer chozen's curiosity...

no it doesnt work :[

i just tested it,
the reason why you change directions when you pivot your gyro is because your using your jumps momentum. not your DI

try using all your jumps and then upB all the way to the top of the stage
then try pivoting the gyro as you would on the ground. it doesnt move because you needed to use your jumps to do it.

its using the same mechanics as the lucas's zap jump. he needs to use his jumps do it (only we dont get that amazing uber super jump afterwards...)
Yeah...that's what I thought. I thought some fancy **** I had no idea about was going on, but it's just jumping momentum.

Whew, I'm not out of the loop yet.

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
Hey Overswarm, can you hire a cameraman to follow you around? Half your videos have a guy who can't hold a camera, or supposedly doesn't have an idea of what a tripod is. I love your vidjos, but they make me really dizzy.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
Hey Overswarm, what is the best way to counter a spammy Wolf that spams the usual moves. Dsmash, Fsmash, and laser.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS what combos do you use as R.O.B.
The good ones.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164142&page=14

^that's where the new vids will be... some are up in .mov format right now. Rofa is uploading a huge bunch on youtube sunday/monday he said. I'm looking forward to them! I don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad, but there will be many vids.

There will be some vids (including a ROB ditto) from the tournament I won yesterday up sometime tomorrow, hopefully.

Hey Overswarm, what is the best way to counter a spammy Wolf that spams the usual moves. Dsmash, Fsmash, and laser.
Well, learning to DI up helps. Once you are on the "inside", you want to DI up; this will cause his second hit of his f-smash to miss. No you only have two moves to really worry about: d-smash and laser.

His d-smash isn't that great of a KO move, but all that damage gets irritating. Fortunately forr you, it hits low. That means he isn't going to hit you out of the air with it.

The blaster also hits low and in a straight line.

We now have a weak spot! Anywhere above Wolf! That means approaching with fair/nair is a viable solution if you space it properly. Due to the little lag, you can throw out an f-tilt or series of d-tilts to auto-space Wolf out of range and try again if you can't get on the inside.

That said, you don't want to mindlessly approach a blaster spamming Wolf all the time. Use your head and throw out the gyro / laser every now and then and force him to move. Your fair eats through everything he has in the air, so if you can get him in the air don't be afraid to approach. You live much longer than him for multiple reasons, so don't be afriad to trade hits.

Since you know you **** him when he's airborne, if you get a grab and you can't get him off the edge, it would be wise to use d-throw or u-throw to get him in the air so you can challenge him there. Did I also mention that Wolf does poorly in the air? Throw out the d-smash when you can. It shield pokes very well, so if you naired his shield and were able to d-smash....

Just make sure Wolf isn't controlling the momentum. Wolf sucks in the air, but that doesn't mean he can't be dangerous when he's short hopping aerials! That's what good Wolf players do in the first place. So don't let him control the momentum. If he starts hopping around, play defensively, space your fairs, lasers, and gyros, and make him anticipate what you are going to do rather than just go on auto-pilot and throw out moves.

Wolf's not a hard matchup, but you can't let the Wolf win using an auto-pilot strategy. Soooooooo many Wolf players, especially online, just mash B until you are close and then f-smash or d-smash. That is not a winning strategy if you are patient, so just tell yourself "I did something wrong; I am being impatient and __________" then fill in the blank every time you get hit by one of his smashes.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
Hey OS, lately I've been having problems with my friend's Diddy.

What do you do to stop yourself from getting ***** by the naner's? The only strategy I've found to not suck has been to pick up a nana and just keep hucking that and ftilting, occasionally throwing out lasers, gyro's, fairs, etc. But occasionally my friend gets the spacing on the banana's to be just right and is able to constantly bombard me with nana's and aerials. Any advice?

And also, there's a pesky fox which just spams the autocanceled dair to uptilt repeatedly which shielding/spotdodging seems really useless against, so I was just wondering if there was any sort of defense against that besides not being in that situation in the first place. Getting combo'd in brawl just doesn't feel right.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Okay, the Fox thing is easy.

Step 1- If he u-tilts you, smash DI TOWARDS Fox. This will send you flying behind him. You aren't out of the water yet, but he can't stand there and mash up-tilt to kill you.

Step 2- Get out of the **** way. You can dash, roll, or even walk if you need to. If Fox is auto-canceling his dair, you've got time to get out of the way.

As for Diddy... it depends a lot on the playstyle, honestly. Diddy players never seem to play the same. Keep in mind that Diddy dies fast, so spamming gyro/laser is a must (isn't it always?).

Also keep in mind that Diddy needs TWO bananas to really be worthwhile. So if you grab one of his bananas and, say, throw it straight up (you can glide toss and throw it straight up and attack out of the glide too!), he won't have that banana for a long, long time. That's good for you.

There are two times when Diddy is dangerous with a banana. One is when the banana is in front of Diddy and he can dash attack it, the other is when it is in his hand.

When it is in his hand, he is going to throw it. A few tricky Diddy's might drop it and use an aerial to auto-pick it up, but generally they are going to throw it. You can shield this. End of problem. It's not hard to powershield, so do it; then deal with Diddy as if he never had one. Considering Diddy doesn't have aerials that work well agaisnt ROB's spot dodge, a spot dodge to d-smash might work well.

When it is front of him and he is going to dash attack it, visualize exactly where his dash attack will end.

Don't stand there.

This means that Diddy will do his dash attack to pick up his banana, and hten it will be in his hand. Refer to the previous paragraph.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Holy **** >.> you vrs shaeden was just amazing both matches so many small lazer and gyro hits mixed with the glide tosses that was superior to anything ive done and or seen before cant wait untill the rest of the videos are uploaded

noodles

Smash Champion
um so like what about the R.O.B. on R.O.B. matchup? i played this rob player at a tourny last month and we played EXACTLY the same.. that being said he was alot flashier and taught me glide toss to dsmash is amazing lol

Top Bottom