• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Whenever I get the choice of stage, I head to the Great Sea. The awkward shape makes the Laser even more spammable, the catapult-lever-thing screws up chaingrabs, the water makes dair useful, and once the cannons start firing, everyone has to take to the air, and we all know what happens then.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Well, R.O.B. in general does well on Rainbow Cruise because he can maneuver around much more freely while other characters have to be somewhat aware of the stage's movements.

But it's not as big an advantage as say...Skyworld or FD.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I still think rainbow cruise is a good counterpick against Snake. It really limits his mortar sliding and C4. And the more he's forced to use his up-B, the better.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I like Rainbow Ride as ROB.

I would rarely CP there with him, but ROB has some cool tricks there. Not to mention he can pull his infinite off on the first section of the stage! It's definitely not a bad ROB stage... it's just difficult.

Also, ROB's game isn't about getting gimps. ROB's game is about keeping momentum. Gimps are cool, but you should get exactly 0 gimps against a good player (except for a few matchups in which it is impossible in certain situations to NOT get the gimp)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Side B for ROB is not as useful as a most brawlers, but its great for stunning, a make shift reflector, and its axis is controllable....

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Side B for ROB is not as useful as a most brawlers, but its great for stunning, a make shift reflector, and its axis is controllable....
Side+B is mostly useless...especially against a quick little ******* like Metaknight.

I've only used it seriously a few times as a surprise attack, rare enough so that the opponent doesn't even really know what it can really do.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I am alive. In Ireland.

So it is my vacation. I'll hit questions when I get back. :p

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Horrible.. ROB's game centers around him getting low % gimps... and you CANNOT do that on Cruise...

& LOL @ ludicrously bad
Rainbow Cruise is a good level for ROB because of the infinite he can pull off
Then since the level is constantly shifting with its walls and ceilings he can use that with his good moves.
The only bad thing is that for someone reason if a guy picks D3 and just chaingrabs off the level lol.
Idk what you are talking about but I rapped in Rainbow Cruise at UCLA V!

5th place =]

Informant

Smash Apprentice
California....just like every one else silly!
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Hey Overswarm, how do I defeat an extremely annoying and spamming not link? She throws so many arrows, bombs, and boomerangs that it's hard to avoid. I place a gyro to take a couple of arrow then I jump over the boomerand to fair or bair. The fair gets me grabbed, then comboed BADLY. I know R.O.B.'s weakness is under it, but before I can even move, not link racks up damage faster and stronger than Game and Watch. The bair is a must use move for small and fast creatures for spacing. My question is, how do I prevent from getting comboed while avoiding projectiles from not link?

PS: I'm not a hateful guy, but I always hated that fake azz poorly drawn not link. Sakurai went too far by making him stronger and faster than the REAL link. Payola anyone?

PPS: They finally put that basterd sonic in here after so many rumors. I like sonic one through sonick and knuckes for sega, so I put aside my differences with metal geek solid just to take over this infestation of not link. SSSSSSSSMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAASSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sudai

Stuff here
Informant, take them to a large stage and out-spam them. Tink's projectiles don't have much range (Even a full hopped bomb throw won't make it all the way across FD). If you're chasing after a spammer, you're playing their game and Tink has quite a good projectile spam game. You -don't- want to play his game.

Also, if you still want to approach, FAir eats arrows and boomerangs. Just make sure to avoid/catch the bombs. Glide tossing as an approach isn't bad either, just have to time it to be between projectiles.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Thanks, the mistake I was making was chasing her. Don't not link's arrow travel further than REAL link's? What do I do if not link apporaches ME while spamming? Shield grab right? Is it worth it to do the crappy reflector to the arrows?

Sudai

Stuff here
Don't bother reflecting. If they're approaching, just cancel their arrows and boomerangs with FTilt (it'll reset your animation and you're less vulnerable than if you would be FAiring them). Don't forget that they can do two BAirs our of a short hop. The best thing to remember when they approach you? ROB's Range > Tink's Range (aside from grab range. : o) FTilt should beat out BAirs. Also, if you're feeling too pressured, try to catch one of his bombs/grab your gyro (if it's on the ground) and do a retreating glide toss to clear some space.

If they decide to approach from above with a DAir (lol..) remember that they can bounce off your shield and leave the sword out. The best option is to spot-dodge the DAir and do whatever from there. No good Tink will approach with DAir on a consistent basis though.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Thanks Sudai! Do you use R.O.B.? That forward tilt is much more useful that I though then if it really can cancel projectiles in addition to its nice range, but I just can't get the time right for the fair to cancel not link or pit's arrows. What moves should I avoid doing because they are most punishable?

Sudai

Stuff here
Yes, I play ROB.

Moves to avoid using? Don't approach with NAir often. DAirs are near worthless. UAir is nice, just make sure they're above you. NEVER USmash unless the opponent is on a platform above you. Aside from that, all his tilts are fast. His other smashes are fast. His other aerials are fast or autocancel (Always fastfall the BAir). Oh, and using the Side-B is just silly. Aside from DAir and Side-B, all his other moves are very useful. Only thing is, a lot of moves are situational. : )

IceMg1k

Smash Rookie
I have a question:
- I have trouble with MKs and Pikas at high levels ( usually from [wt] )

They elevate high enough above the ground to avoid most of my ROB projectiles, and they stay close enough to fast fall and I can't keep up.

Is keeping the game at ROB's speed crucial in every match especially against MKs and Pikas?

I need help on slowing their approach down.

Informant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
True, but I meant if an opponent, except for the move Counter, can counter it by either a grab, attack, dash attack, etc. What ground moves are faster than Wrob's uncharged dsmash? For example, say I used dsmash and an opponent canceled it out with one of their own moves. I could keep doing dsmash safely to close and grounded opponents right? I usually do it quickly in succession to shielding foes and watch their shield shrink until they either take the hit or run away. Has anyone ever successfully broken someone's shield by doing this repeatedly?

Sudai

Stuff here
True, but I meant if an opponent, except for the move Counter, can counter it by either a grab, attack, dash attack, etc. What ground moves are faster than Wrob's uncharged dsmash? For example, say I used dsmash and an opponent canceled it out with one of their own moves. I could keep doing dsmash safely to close and grounded opponents right? I usually do it quickly in succession to shielding foes and watch their shield shrink until they either take the hit or run away. Has anyone ever successfully broken someone's shield by doing this repeatedly?
It is possible to spotdodge through the d-smash and retaliate before ROB can do anything else. It's also possible for any attack that goes over your spinning arms to get to you. Basically, don't just spam it stupidly. If you're gonna do it, wait till the other person spot dodges or rolls first. If you start it about half way through, they'll be hit.

As for breaking someone's shield with it, it's not possible. The DSmash will poke through the shield before that happens.

I have a question:
- I have trouble with MKs and Pikas at high levels ( usually from [wt] )

They elevate high enough above the ground to avoid most of my ROB projectiles, and they stay close enough to fast fall and I can't keep up.

Is keeping the game at ROB's speed crucial in every match especially against MKs and Pikas?

I need help on slowing their approach down.

You can always SH/FullHop/Double Jump to hit them with your laser. If the MK is staying at a height which you -still- can't hit, you're winning. lol. Unless the MK is in your face, you're winning. (Unless of course they're trying to dodge you for the last 30 seconds because your percent is higher. :x )

If you do go to approach either, don't approach wrecklessly. Close in and don't attack. Wait to see what they do and react accordingly. There's only so much they can do if they're up in the air. : )

Informant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
edpuga
3DS FC
1908-1488-2162
Switch FC
SW-1389-3088-9205
Do you guys play online often? Online lag and disconnections have finally pissed me off, and the few (like 2) people in my town who ARE good don't want to play or are never available. Does anybody know where I can play, in person, with good smahers here in California?

Top Bottom