• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you

How to use the bair

ROB's back air is, by far, the move that sets his aerial game apart from other characters.

It autocancels, it fastfalls easily (just hold down, yo), and it auto-spaces. It can also aut-cancel. These things combined make it a great move.

If you are using it facing away, it autospaces you outside of the range of ANY attack save for fast projectiles and the like. Regardless, it autocancels so you can shield or roll.

You can also use it towards a shielding opponent, fast fall, and then d-smash or d-tilt depending on the location of your opponent.

If you hit someone at low % with a back air that pushes you towards them, you can almost always get off a sick combo. Back-air, d-tilt, down-smash, followed by a u-air and a fall-away laser. If your laser is charged, this leads you to an edgeguarding opportunity.

The back-air is also great for recovering, but we all know that by now. Use it to push you towards the stage.

Something else that's great about the back-air is the delay it has! You can use this to your advantage. If you treat the backair like, say, Fox's back-air, you'll just get in trouble. When you are playing an opponent that routinely air dodges (hellooooooooo Snake), jump into their "zone" and use your back-air. Often they will air dodge quickly, meaning that the delay in your back-air will be just long enough to destroy them.

This also hold true on the ledge! Most people stay on the ledge for all of their invincibility frames, so you can run off and back-air near the end and hit them into the stage for a surprise spike!

Did I also mention that throwing down a gyro then jumping over it and repeatedly back-airing is completely impassable by any character? If they don't have a projectile, they literally can't safely approach you. It's a fun game to play against noobs.

One other trick for those reading this far... did you know if you use your up+b, you still save your double jump? It gives you more horizontal distance to just tap up+b when on the stage than short hopping off, and you move a lot faster. This REALLY helps destory people like the space animals or Snake who like to recover from just out of normal short hop range. Just tap up+b and throw those fairs out, and then you still have your double-jump AND the rest of your up+b fuel! Be careful though; if you use your up+b with improper timing, you'll waste your jump. I generally just tap up+b once and use my jump next so I don't lose the extra height.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
People seemed to have run out of questions...

In the event of a rare shield break, what's ROB's best option? Just a straight up charged fsmash? Or can ROB do what Peach could do in melee with the whole throwing a turnip up and charging a dsmash shtick? Thanks

Overswarm

is laughing at you
People seemed to have run out of questions...

In the event of a rare shield break, what's ROB's best option? Just a straight up charged fsmash? Or can ROB do what Peach could do in melee with the whole throwing a turnip up and charging a dsmash shtick? Thanks
You can throw a gyro up and charge an u-smash if you can time it.

I would suggest charging your gyro and waiting a few moments so you can give your laser a bit to recharge, then hit them with a fully charged f-smash followed with a laser.

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
Ask, and ye shall receive.

That's basically it. Ask about matchups, strategies, what have you, and I'll answer if I can.
but youre not good(?) and youre very cocky,
cocky players cant get better, because they think theyre the best already.
so they peak at one level, and that my friend, is why you suck.
stop being cocky, learn from the MISTAKES you make, some extremely obvious others subtle.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
stop being cocky, learn from the MISTAKES you make, some extremely obvious others subtle.
Is this waddle-guy serious?(Think of south park)

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
There's a phrase about rocks and glass houses you should check into.

Seriously, there are some people on this board who have egos quite a bit more ego than OS. At least he's being helpful.

I, for one, think he deserves more heart and less hate =P

Edit: seeing as this is the ROB knowledge thread, if I could get a good gimping guide, I'd be forever grateful. I still usually KO people with a Smash/Gyro combo at the 100+ mark. I think I must just be too squeamish for it, but I usually can't guarantee a gimp.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
And people wonder why 08 joiners have a bad rep... there's more than enough evidence in this forum and in his videos that OS is probably the best ROB in America. In case you missed the purple name.

For the record, Zastrozzi, you're my new favorite 08 poster. Your posts are always mature and well-informed, keep it up.

In the interest of staying on topic I guess I should ask a question... O great Overswarm, who has the best ROB sig in all the land?

Sudai

Stuff here
JCaesar, OS has been a BRoomer for a while apparently, he just figured out how to make his name purple though. Doesn't really make a difference though, does it?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Being a BRoomer pretty much ensures that you know what you're talking about, which is what kingofwaddles was arguing against.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Being a BRoomer pretty much ensures that you know what you're talking about, which is what kingofwaddles was arguing against.
Sometimes. The word of a BRoomer isn't gold though; otherwise, wouldn't we only need one, and not a whole room?

As for best ROB sig... I have no idea. I like JCeasar's, but haven't looked around really ^_^

I've been watching other ROB players and I don't think there are any with a better ROB; I think there are people that could do better in tournaments USING ROB (i.e., Azen), but I don't think anyone knows quite as much about ROB as I do or can handle him as well.

I still want to see videos of Hugs' ROB though!!! >:\

I'll get the gimping stuff later.

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
Sigh, I have given up R.O.B. I was one of the more decent R.O.B.s out there too IMO, but there was a problem with R.O.B that I couldn't get around. Surprisingly, it wasn't even the G&W thing which didn't bother me to badly. It was R.O.B. v Zelda and all this Zelda did was spam (shocking). She just ran around using her up smash and Din fire spam. The Din fire wasn't too annoying especially because it just gave me opportunities to punish with projectiles, but the up-smash was too ridiculous to ignore. I tried every single one of R.O.B.s aerials and they all were out prioritized. Even though I eventually came out on top (pun intended) with laborious down-smashing and top spamming this problem is too ridiculous to ignore for the aerial beast I used to know as R.O.B. I will miss the Fair edge guarding as that was the most beastly things I liked about R.O.B.. So in conclusion I refuse to play a grounded R.O.B. ever. So I am moving on. I'll probably just use him now to humiliate tourny noobs who claim R.O.B. fails.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Sigh, I have given up R.O.B. I was one of the more decent R.O.B.s out there too IMO, but there was a problem with R.O.B that I couldn't get around. Surprisingly, it wasn't even the G&W thing which didn't bother me to badly. It was R.O.B. v Zelda and all this Zelda did was spam (shocking). She just ran around using her up smash and Din fire spam. The Din fire wasn't too annoying especially because it just gave me opportunities to punish with projectiles, but the up-smash was too ridiculous to ignore. I tried every single one of R.O.B.s aerials and they all were out prioritized. Even though I eventually came out on top (pun intended) with laborious down-smashing and top spamming this problem is too ridiculous to ignore for the aerial beast I used to know as R.O.B. I will miss the Fair edge guarding as that was the most beastly things I liked about R.O.B.. So in conclusion I refuse to play a grounded R.O.B. ever. So I am moving on. I'll probably just use him now to humiliate tourny noobs who claim R.O.B. fails.
FYI, if you wait for the upsmash to finish you can punish with any more you want.

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** OS, alright this is possibly the most irrelevant thing ever, the new character I chose was Wolf. When I told my friends about it they said that the smash b-room had already decided Wolf was fail. Which confused me greatly. What most people see in Wolf is a noob strategy I.E. the Wolf strategy that would soon be picked up upon and rendered useless.

What I saw was a character that had three aerials that would auto canceled: Bair, Nair, and Uair and a Fair that could be no lag canceled. Ballin tilts or AAA and to top it off not so bad smash attacks (I see the laser more situational than spammable) I do think that most people have exaggerated his "terrible" recovery in that the only way it's gimpable is that it is predictable in methods of recovery because you may have to DI to get into recovering position first, and a counter which I can't wait to find methods of use. I think the only problem with Wolf is that no one is developing his Meta game worth anything except maybe the Germ. He even has a Bair edge guard which I am not even going to pretend is as good as characters like Marth and R.O.B. but useable non the less. I think most people are just overlooking his combo-ability.

I even found myself comparing him to CF of Melee. When I read the Wolf character section I find that you have already done it before me >_<.

Anyway, this is a R.O.B. board so I'll shut up about Wolf.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
i find it easier to to space yourself and provoke a fsmash and then poke her with ftilits lol coz you know shes not going to try spamming din's fire close range (unless its a deathwish) and like alot of zeldas they tend to spam those smashes (which can be DIied out of) so spacing and ftilts are nice XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i find it easier to to space yourself and provoke a fsmash and then poke her with ftilits lol coz you know shes not going to try spamming din's fire close range (unless its a deathwish) and like alot of zeldas they tend to spam those smashes (which can be DIied out of) so spacing and ftilts are nice XD
Agleed.

This matchup became soooooo much easier once I started abusing the f-tilt and spent my game looking for ways to get that lady in the air so I could u-air her. The f-tilt is seriously my #1 KO move against Zelda.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
speaking of DI, it never really occurred to me that i sucked at it. what advice can you give about DI and taking hits?
as for taking hits: if you see your opponent throwing out one of his beastily moves and you are at low to medium %, it isn't a bad idea to just get hit by it. It weakens the move, thus forcing them to strengthen it with other moves to kill you with it later.

As for DI... it is generally best you DI up and opposite of the directino you are being hit. So if they are hitting you to the left, DI up and to the right. DIing down sends you on a straight line towards the edge, thus killing you faster.

Smash DI, or hitting the control stick the moment you get hit (during the initial frames), is stronger than simply holding the control stick. Some attacks are multi-hit, meaning you can smash DI multiple times. Seeing as how the c-stick can be used for smash DI (it doesn't register "holding" the stick; you have to smash it), you can smash both sticks repeatedly for super fast smash DI. This will get you out of smash attacks! So practice DI in training mode against an opponent that is using these attacks.

How much less deadly would snake be if you could DI out of his neutral air? Fox, out of his forward air? Zelda out of her f-smash or u-smash? ROB out of his u-air? Metaknight out of his forward-air?

It could very well be possible (and I know it is possible for at least half the ones above), and helps you greatly.

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
as for taking hits: if you see your opponent throwing out one of his beastily moves and you are at low to medium %, it isn't a bad idea to just get hit by it. It weakens the move, thus forcing them to strengthen it with other moves to kill you with it later.
When you say get hit by it you mean with your shield up because as far as I know any kind of contact that a move receives has the deterioration effect. This includes shields walls even a shy guy passing by.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master

As for DI... it is generally best you DI up and opposite of the directino you are being hit. So if they are hitting you to the left, DI up and to the right. DIing down sends you on a straight line towards the edge, thus killing you faster.

Smash DI, or hitting the control stick the moment you get hit (during the initial frames), is stronger than simply holding the control stick. Some attacks are multi-hit, meaning you can smash DI multiple times. Seeing as how the c-stick can be used for smash DI (it doesn't register "holding" the stick; you have to smash it), you can smash both sticks repeatedly for super fast smash DI. This will get you out of smash attacks! So practice DI in training mode against an opponent that is using these attacks.

How much less deadly would snake be if you could DI out of his neutral air? Fox, out of his forward air? Zelda out of her f-smash or u-smash? ROB out of his u-air? Metaknight out of his forward-air?

It could very well be possible (and I know it is possible for at least half the ones above), and helps you greatly.
ok i get the part with taking hits
but to break out of an attack, should i DI away, in this case out of an attack. is that correct?

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman

Is it possible for the attacker to air control/DI their attack in response to smash DI in order to keep the victim/defender in the attack?

For example, if I expect my opponent to smash DI away from me, can I DI forward while I uair in order to keep them in the attack?

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice

Is it possible for the attacker to air control/DI their attack in response to smash DI in order to keep the victim/defender in the attack?

For example, if I expect my opponent to smash DI away from me, can I DI forward while I uair in order to keep them in the attack?
thats just following their DI right?
im pretty sure you can and will catch them again in ur Uair....

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ok i get the part with taking hits
but to break out of an attack, should i DI away, in this case out of an attack. is that correct?
aye, up and away... but it depends on the attack.

Also, I'm not quite understanding you hoops. You can follow your opponent... but you can't "counter DI". Nothing except your location has any effect on your opponent.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
alright cool thank you OS, you made everything so much clearer
i remember asking something like this in the melee falco forums, all they did was sent me to doraki's guide of DI, and viperboy's edgeteching vid.

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
I got some question
I don't know if you play teams a whole lot or not, but...

Who would you say best compliments ROB?

And while on the topic of doubles, in what areas does ROB excel that another teammate could benefit or conversely what areas does ROB do poorly that a teammate could aide in?

Lastly, what is ROB's goal in team play? (Granted that all roles are rarely if ever set-in-stone, just generally speaking)

Thanks

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I got some question
I don't know if you play teams a whole lot or not, but...

Who would you say best compliments ROB?

And while on the topic of doubles, in what areas does ROB excel that another teammate could benefit or conversely what areas does ROB do poorly that a teammate could aide in?

Lastly, what is ROB's goal in team play? (Granted that all roles are rarely if ever set-in-stone, just generally speaking)

Thanks
Best compliments ROB would be anyone that can get good KOs off and keep an enemy at bay. Snake is excellent, G&W is good. MK not so much unless he is aggressive with his up+b.

If your teammate can keep the enemy at bay, ROB can get some awesome gimps. If snake has his opponent in a grab, he can b-throw or f-throw off the edge and ROB can already be out there waiting with a dair or a series of fairs. It's crazy how easy it is to pull off.

ROB is great at getting gimps in team games because he can take crazy risks because his recovery is so good. Most characters can make a halfhearted attempt at running off with a spike or a quick tap and back to the stage, but ROB can go all out like he does in singles with little to no pressure from the enemy, even if he messes up. That means you have to TAKE THOSE OPPORTUNITIES.

ROB, however, is not without flaws. Gimps are great and all, but you can't always get those. KOs are hard to get with ROB in singles, and it's even harder in teams! You almost have to rely completely on your teammate for good KOs. This is especially true since you can't laser spam or gyro properly because your teammate is in the way.

The fact that you said "roles change" shows that you're ahead of 90% of the players out there, at least mentally. ROB's main goal in team play it to aggressively edgeguard, break up fights that are going poorly by shooting a laser, and to rack up damage. Two u-airs from a ROB can be near 40% damage. 40%. If ROB did a u-throw to two u-air combo (about 50%) to an enemy and then grabbed him and Snake forward smashed that opponent, that opponent would die. That's how good ROB is at doing damage. Use that to your advantage, and know when to switch off! ROB can get gimps on low % opponents, but can't do much but tap high % opponents, so you gotta switch off even if it is hard. I learned this the hard way!

KaShank

Smash Apprentice
Great insight again OS, the best compliment for R.O.B. or at least top three is in fact Snake.
There are many reasons for this mostly they compliment each other so well:
A. Snake's edge guard is not necessarily all to great, where R.O.B. can have an entire battle off the edge.
B. R.O.B.s killing ability is not necessarily the greatest, while Snake has teh gimp tilts.
C. Snake is very explody and has over 9000 priority, R.O.B. has little trouble staying out of Snakes way.
D. It's been proven... by myself that this *****.

My partner and myself just beat someone in the top 20 on Gamebattles using the Snake/R.O.B. strategy. Our basic premise was that he stayed on the left side of the field and make it go boom, as usual, while I stayed on the right and provided cover fire. Snake having little trouble getting people off the edge and more trouble killing them from there is where I came in. Using Fair/Bairs I would gimp them from there. Anybody somehow able to make it back would get foot shoved up there *** from Snake's up-tilt. The general idea is using Snake as a meat shield and R.O.B. to apply damage.

Of course there are a lot of other factors that go into gameplay, but the sheer amount of projectiles is a *****.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
just a thought, when you are grabbed what buttons do you press to get out?
for example, what i used to do was just randomly click buttons to try and get out. now i just spam my R and A buttons while moving left and right on the toggle to escape grabs.

i think when i was watching one of your vids i heard clacking noises equivalent to someone going 360 degrees on the toggle. but im not sure. is there an official "best" way to efficiently get out of grabs?

and do some ways work better than others? also on that note, are there buttons that directly affect the person being able to escape grabs and are there some that do not (like just pressing A frantically or B)? or do all of them play a part in escaping them?

id test this out but im just too lazy to do it and my wii is put away atm, (im hoping this knowledge is something generally in circulation for easy info gain...heh)

thanks, this will come in handy in my game in general but more specifically to the IC's CG ( vs. a not so good IC's anyway...).

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
probably a stupid question...

every time I charge a gyro while in the air, if I try to stop it with 'R' it'll air-dodge. Is there an easy way to stop the charge in air without dodging? I seem to be able to with DK, but not ROB.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
probably a stupid question...

every time I charge a gyro while in the air, if I try to stop it with 'R' it'll air-dodge. Is there an easy way to stop the charge in air without dodging? I seem to be able to with DK, but not ROB.
no i think its the only way. unless ofcourse you just toss it out. thatll cancel the charge XD

Overswarm

is laughing at you
just a thought, when you are grabbed what buttons do you press to get out?
for example, what i used to do was just randomly click buttons to try and get out. now i just spam my R and A buttons while moving left and right on the toggle to escape grabs.

i think when i was watching one of your vids i heard clacking noises equivalent to someone going 360 degrees on the toggle. but im not sure. is there an official "best" way to efficiently get out of grabs?

and do some ways work better than others? also on that note, are there buttons that directly affect the person being able to escape grabs and are there some that do not (like just pressing A frantically or B)? or do all of them play a part in escaping them?

id test this out but im just too lazy to do it and my wii is put away atm, (im hoping this knowledge is something generally in circulation for easy info gain...heh)

thanks, this will come in handy in my game in general but more specifically to the IC's CG ( vs. a not so good IC's anyway...).
The MOMENT the grab animation STARTS (that's right after the spark), each button input takes a fraction of time off of your "hold". I'm unsure if it is the same as in Melee, but in Melee one full circle of the control stick was the equivalent of pressing a button once. I rotate the control sitck while mashing A, Y, and X simultaneously.

While L and R work, I generally don't press them because that can cause you to airdodge prematurely. That means that you can be hit easily by your opponent!

FYI, if you are ever charging a gyro, it is FASTER to shoot it rather than air dodge. This is important for if you start charging by accident. I suicided once yesterday in tournament because I air dodged instead of shooting, so I went and figured it out. Shooting to up+b = muchos faster.

Also, I won a tournament yesterday! Tons of good people there, too.

Even better? TONS of videos of my ROB! Lots of money matches, tournament matches, etc. Soooooooooooooooo good.

ROB is tearing it up!

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Lame. I guess they only let DK stop his without air-dodging because he'd just fall to his death if he unleashed it.

Congrats on the tourney. Let us know when the vids are up.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
The MOMENT the grab animation STARTS (that's right after the spark), each button input takes a fraction of time off of your "hold". I'm unsure if it is the same as in Melee, but in Melee one full circle of the control stick was the equivalent of pressing a button once. I rotate the control sitck while mashing A, Y, and X simultaneously.

While L and R work, I generally don't press them because that can cause you to airdodge prematurely. That means that you can be hit easily by your opponent!

FYI, if you are ever charging a gyro, it is FASTER to shoot it rather than air dodge. This is important for if you start charging by accident. I suicided once yesterday in tournament because I air dodged instead of shooting, so I went and figured it out. Shooting to up+b = muchos faster.

Also, I won a tournament yesterday! Tons of good people there, too.

Even better? TONS of videos of my ROB! Lots of money matches, tournament matches, etc. Soooooooooooooooo good.

ROB is tearing it up!
Good **** OS cant wait to see some vids of that

Edit: yesterday i had close set against Metaknight (made me get 7th place) that character is the only one that keeps winning no matter what any advice on Mindgames or techniques to do better against them

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Okay, every tournament I have been to, even if I lost with R.O.B. I at least felt like I had control of the match. Not so whenever I play a DeDeDe, whether it's a good DeDeDe (like Nicktendo's) o just not good at all. For some reason, there's something about DeDeDe that makes him a very difficult match-up for me.

I think a primary issue is that it seems really difficult to approach him in any vertical fashion, and approaching him horizontally through the air is very tricky. It turns into a camping game, which R.O.B. eeeeasily has down, but DeDeDe always ends up approaching quickly and effectively enough to make such a game difficult. Thus, you eventually have to go for the kill, which I'm finding extremely hard.

Here's a few things:

1. I usually die by his b-air, dash attack, or the random Gordo (which is sorta rare). In particular, the b-air is because it's just so fast and the dash attack is because it always catches me off guard.

2. I can't seem to gimp him whatsoever. I can keep attacking him as he's floating back, but I can't find any point in his Up+B to attack him effectively, i.e. no super armor, other than his Up +B's descent, which is extremely deadly and risky to approach.

3. Chaingrabbing doesn't work as much on R.O.B. as other characters, but it's still a problem, especially if they're smart enough to end it with a b-throw, which is an instant 16% damage.

4. I think he's unapproachable vertically because of his u-air, d-air, and u-tilt. These consistently have wrecked my approach.

5. His hammer has absurd range. You really really have to take advantage of disjointed hitboxes.

6. He is ****ing heavy. I find it difficult to kill him unless he's beyond 200%.

7. There are basically only two consistent ways I have been killing DeDeDe. One has been through f-smash. The other has been through some attack that sends him up very high followed by Up+B chase and n-air for a ceiling kill.

Every tournament I have been to, I have lost because of King DeDeDe. Everytime I fight a King DeDeDe, I end up doing poorly, regardless of whether I won or lost. Basically, I just feel like I'm not in control of the situation at all. I usually try to at least give my opponent a run for his money, like I'm the boss in a boss fight or something, but with DeDeDe he feels like the boss.

Wtf should I do?

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Nacker.. i saw that ****.... don't forget that ROB's Fsmash actually [if timed correctly] out prioritizes MK's NeutralB... so his tornado is basically useless if you time it correctly [and that is like a free smash atk if the MK plyr wts 2 b tard'd]. You're Uair also WILL come out faster than MK's Dair if you do it to follow up your Utilts.. so right there is a free 26-28%. Honestly i've been having ALOT less trouble w/ MK's recently due to the fact that if you Gyro camp [not lazer camp.. wait for your large beam, and get him off the ledge and force him to glide so you can Nair, and out-prioritize his GlideAtk]. If you're off the ledge, just be weary of his UpB [which is really the ONLY move in the entirty of Brawl that can affectively gimp ROB] so generally you can be pretty safe, if you Tap UpB above him, [whilst spamming Fairs/Hovering Nairs to keep him away.. b/c ROB can gimp MK quite low off the top (i would say around Nair- 80ish, Uair- 110ish)] and just land somewhere in the middle of the stage.

No Johns. [wait that was Kirbstir right?] /sigh

You're better than this. We ain't no WestCoaster Son.

Step it up.

Top Bottom