• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
do many people use the yellow costume for rob? seems to be my favourite besides blue
Overswarm, one of the beginning ROB mains who helped develop his game a lot in the early days, uses yellow ROB and will unplug your controller if you choose that ROB in a ditto.

Also, just for the sake of throwing it out there, these are how my ROBs are played (carried over from the F-Finder thread)

• Bloody Hands R.O.B. - Really enjoys to...well...get his hands bloody. In result, he tends to enjoy throwing out fairs and f-tilts. A good counter to Olimar.
  • Pansy R.O.B. - This R.O.B. is a big time camper. Oh geeze oh my. A hard counter to Snake.
  • Crash Test/Kill Bill/Bumble Bee R.O.B. - This R.O.B. is a crazy one. I can't quite keep him tamed. He does whatever the fuq he wants.
  • Ninja R.O.B. - A very sly and patient R.O.B.. I tend to enjoy throwing him up against Meta Knights because he enjoys to look for openings rather than approaching wrecklessly.
  • Rambo R.O.B. (or stoner R.O.B. because of his red eyes) - A very aggressive sonuvagun. Really takes advantage of the up-close in-yo-face fighting style. Enjoys his grab game for certain.
  • **** R.O.B. - No particular reason why I chose the name "****" besides the fact that I just ran out of names. But this R.O.B. is just an absolute robotic beast. He pretty well carries a mixture of the other R.O.B.s.

TheMike

Smash Lord
What is Rob's best stage? I've been wondering this for the longest of times now :dizzy:
As Sudai said, Skyworld is the best, but it's banned =( In terms of neutrals, i prefer FD for being a bigger than the others, which means easier camping. As for Couner Picks, my personal opinion is Frigate.

Commander_Beef said:
And then you brought this to a different perspective of the topic which is somewhat frustrating because these are the prime examples of people who cannot comprehend the point that I'm trying to bring across.
That quote distorts what me and GWJumpman were discussing before. We were just talking about why down smash is a good move...and I implied that down smash hardly ever kills. I think you would understand by now what in direct specific we were talking about.
Sorry.

Ahh, and ROB's Silver color ***** <3

Trillest

Smash Ace
the best colour is all of them cept pink/purple (hurts my soul reminds me of mk ><) i just randdomly rotate to add more mindgames to r.o.b. so far i have

Mind games: Change colours
Spotdodge dsmash
Dbl SptDge dsmash
Triple Sptdge dsmash
Random noddding (crouching) to look like im lasering

R.o.b. is the mindgame mainframe!!!

kingcobra9

Smash Ace
Any R.O.B. main should know who it is.
coughOVERSWARMcough coughcough cough...i must be getting sick of traitors...

the best colour is all of them cept pink/purple (hurts my soul reminds me of mk ><) i just randdomly rotate to add more mindgames to r.o.b. so far i have

Mind games: Change colours
Spotdodge dsmash
Dbl SptDge dsmash
Triple Sptdge dsmash
Random noddding (crouching) to look like im lasering

R.o.b. is the mindgame mainframe!!!
pink=mk????

those are pretty weak mindgames, i think you have a low standard because colors have never effected me

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Just 2 questions.

1. What are the neutrals like for the Kirby vs ROB matchup? Which ones benefit Kirby more than ROB? Which ones benefit ROB more than Kirby?

2. What should Kirby be CPing? Banning? What should ROB be CPing? Banning?

Please explain why, lol. It doesn't help me to know that you think battlefield is more advantageous to Kirby, but not have any reason to back it up.

I thank you in advance.

Sudai

Stuff here
Just 2 questions.

1. What are the neutrals like for the Kirby vs ROB matchup? Which ones benefit Kirby more than ROB? Which ones benefit ROB more than Kirby?

2. What should Kirby be CPing? Banning? What should ROB be CPing? Banning?

Please explain why, lol. It doesn't help me to know that you think battlefield is more advantageous to Kirby, but not have any reason to back it up.

I thank you in advance.
For all answers, refer to the Kirby discussion thread in our forum, or in the kirby boards. It's not too hard to find.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Whoa, trippy moment. I apologize for the lack of relevance in this post, but I was just listening to Kashmir (LZ of course) and the word 'elders' was said just as 'Elder S' was displayed on kingcobra's sig. Strange.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Yeah, the link's broken (and I think pikachu and mario are as well or something like that)

We didn't really cover many stages here either
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230591
Wow, Dull's matchup thread started off so good...

In short, ROB likes FD because he can camp and survive the fsmash/hammer longer than on other stages. On battlefield, Kirby can get "ROB combos" off with upair strings, and combined with the fact that most ROBs don't like Battlefield due to his blind spot below him, I'd go there if they don't strike it. Smashville can go either way because Kirby's fsmash will kill REALLY early if not DI'd (and even still, it's not fun) but ROB can get a strong gyro/camping game if necessary. I'd say Lylat hurts ROB because the sides are so short that Kirby's fsmash is dangerous again and ROB's nair won't kill off the top as early as it does in other stages. Yoshi's is slightly better for ROB due to the space which allows him to live a little longer and camp on the way back.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
@Waffles

Spot-on. On YI, I know the solid walls on the sides can benefit ROB by bouncing people off them, and it makes it occasionally easier to get a dair spike in(Still hard). OF course this should only matter to kirby if your jumps are down, but...still. -feels important-

TheMike

Smash Lord
Thanks for the posts.

How does ROB do on RC, JJ, Brinstar, PS1 and Pictochat? The first 4 are the stages Kirbies CP the majority of the time, Pictochat is cp'd by a few people (I think Percon is among them) where it's legal.
RC isn't really good for ROB on this MU. JJ is one of ROB's best stages, but i think against Kirby there isn't a good CP(besides lylat, probably). IDK about Picto and PS1 is kinda normal IMO

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Thanks for the posts.

How does ROB do on RC, JJ, Brinstar, PS1 and Pictochat? The first 4 are the stages Kirbies CP the majority of the time, Pictochat is cp'd by a few people (I think Percon is among them) where it's legal.
Some ROB's may cp RC from time to time, but I think most ROB mains are wary about that, because the only people we would take to RC are character who RC is a hard counter to, but most people who have that issue will either ban it or whip out their pocket MK, and ROB vs MK isn't fun on RC.

JJ is definitely one of ROB's favorite counterpicks, from either side platform, ROB can control the stage with his laser and gyro, although if Kirby manages to absorb his laser, ROB definitely has a harder time camping. I wouldn't wanna take a Kirby to JJ because the side blast zones would probably make for low percent hammer kills, but that might just be me.

Brinstar is used by some ROBs, I know Chibo likes it a lot. AFAIK, Brinstar is useful because we can recover through the platform with an attack, gyro can bounce on the center hitbox thingy which allows us to hide behind it and camp, when the stage splits, we can camp some more. I feel like nair kills easier here because of the smaller balst zones (I could be wrong). Idk about vs Kirby, though, I don't play this stage too often.

PS1 isn't a terrible stage for ROB. He can get d-tilt locks on the fire transformation, on the windmill transformation, he can use dsmash and most of his throws to bounce his opponents off of the windmill, on the rock transformation, ROB can camp utilt, nairs, and uairs, although this tends to lead to a stalemate and the opponent will just wait for the next transformation. Theres also the grass transformation, all I remember about this one is the platforms tend to let me pull of some nairs. This isn't ROB's best stage, but its not terrible either. Against kirby, again, Im not sure.

I personally like Pictochat, ROBs throws are pretty good for throwing the opponent into the various hazards, and some transformations are pretty good for ROB. Others can elaborate I guess.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Brinstar is used by some ROBs, I know Chibo likes it a lot. AFAIK, Brinstar is useful because we can recover through the platform with an attack, gyro can bounce on the center hitbox thingy which allows us to hide behind it and camp, when the stage splits, we can camp some more. I feel like nair kills easier here because of the smaller balst zones (I could be wrong). Idk about vs Kirby, though, I don't play this stage too often.
Brinstar against Kirby isn't nice for ROB at all. It isn't good against the ones that can shark us. While we can get earlier kills with Nair, Bair(Side KOs) and Usmash(Up KOs, esecially because ofthe plattforms), Kirby, that doens't have killing problems, kills earlir, too... Fsmash and Hammer + Easy KOs because of the stage = D:

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
brinstar Is Used By Some Robs, I Know Chibo Likes It A Lot. Afaik, Brinstar Is Useful Because We Can Recover Through The Platform With An Attack, Gyro Can Bounce On The Center Hitbox Thingy Which Allows Us To Hide Behind It And Camp, When The Stage Splits, We Can Camp Some More. I Feel Like Nair Kills Easier Here Because Of The Smaller Balst Zones (i Could Be Wrong). idk About Vs Kirby, Though, I Don't Play This Stage Too Often.
= )

Tin Man

Smash Hero
castle siege is great against kirby...
Can;t kamp stage 1, way 2 close, gonna get grabbed then edge guarded, + there isn't enough room to counter the Bair.

On stage 2 he can kill ROB earlier. Big blast zone doesn't really help, swallow > walk towards the side > spit forward *****.

Stage 3 is prolly the best one, but that's 2/3 bad stages, why is this stage good???

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Because it's not as bad as you made it sound. If he inhales you and walks to the edge and spits out, don't DI in, just Robo buster upwards and over dawg. And if you get caught super close to the edge, that's your fault, you're being stupid and forgetting Kirby's trump card.

For stage 1, don't get grabbed. You can camp stage 1. You just can't camp the normal way, you need to stay in motion or under a platform.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Thanks for the posts.

I'm not the wisest person when it comes to smash, as I don't play competitively(yet), but here are my opinions:

RC:
I personally don't play on this stage, so I would listen to everyone else. On slower, heavy characters, ROB is pretty good here; not so with kirby.

JJ:
I play on this stage more then RC, but go with what everyone else is saying. ROB has amazing camping here, the lazer can hit anywhere on the stage and the gyro can be used to limit options. And if ROB is camping on the right side, he can drop under into the water and pop up on the left. But like CJ said, kirby can also camp too if he gets ROB lazer.

Brinstar:
Don't play.

PS1:
Not a bad ROB stage. Rob can abuse the transformations, and the standpart is pretty neutral. Both can edgeguard pretty well here, I'd give the advantage to ROB because he can probably survive being hit to the inside of the stage better.

Pictochat:
Solid ROB stage. I think the blast zones are a little bigger so hammer kills aren't as frequent; again, like CJ said, ROB can use his throws to abuse the damage traps, and use the Robo Burner to avoid the traps. On the neutral part Its a modified FD, but a little shorter.

I don't know about other ROBS, but against a kirby, I would personally go to PS1 or Picto, but I don't know if I"m 100% right on all my facts.:newbie:

Sudai

Stuff here
The only thing I really want to note, Kirby can get inhales easier on this stage if you're camping the sides. He wouldn't spit you out here, he would steal your laser and simply outcamp you by going to the otherside and jumping and shooting when he has the lead. It's ****ty.

Top Bottom