• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I do all that stuff for the most part, but it doesn't seem to matter. What do you do if they're spacing ftilts?Gyro What if they're edgeguarding with dair? It beats ROB's uair. Time an uair or upsmash so maybe try to recover high, but that makes you vulnerable to his up-B. Recover mid level. If u wanna recover high, do 1 attack so it makes u able to airdodge. Oh stall a bit in the air so he loses his jumps when edgeguarding u. What if your shield is low and he starts spamming tornado? I know you can beat it with fsmash and nair but it's really hard to time.i run away from it to the ledge or if it hits me i pop right out and nair them. The only thing I don't have a problem with is when they hop around dairing at you, but they just have so many incredibly difficult to punish tactics at their disposal. And if they up-B you and you screw up your DI at all you can end up dying ridiculously low. Not to mention it's very difficult and risky to edgeguard them. Nothing beats their side-B and their up-B can stagespike you easily. It's just a frustrating matchup.Laser beats the side-b. Edgeguard them once u hit them far enough away from the stage. MK is most likely gonna glide so hit him then., usually with a fully charged laser. If u miss ur chance with that properly place a gyro near the ledge so it limits his options and then proceed to space with ftilt.
ur answers are in blue :). Hope it helps

yea ROB isnt as good and ppl think he is.

Sudai

Stuff here
I do all that stuff for the most part, but it doesn't seem to matter. What do you do if they're spacing ftilts?Gyro What if they're edgeguarding with dair? It beats ROB's uair. Time an uair or upsmash so maybe try to recover high, but that makes you vulnerable to his up-B. Recover mid level. If u wanna recover high, do 1 attack so it makes u able to airdodge. Oh stall a bit in the air so he loses his jumps when edgeguarding u. What if your shield is low and he starts spamming tornado? I know you can beat it with fsmash and nair but it's really hard to time.i run away from it to the ledge or if it hits me i pop right out and nair them. The only thing I don't have a problem with is when they hop around dairing at you, but they just have so many incredibly difficult to punish tactics at their disposal. And if they up-B you and you screw up your DI at all you can end up dying ridiculously low. Not to mention it's very difficult and risky to edgeguard them. Nothing beats their side-B and their up-B can stagespike you easily. It's just a frustrating matchup.Laser beats the side-b. Edgeguard them once u hit them far enough away from the stage. MK is most likely gonna glide so hit him then., usually with a fully charged laser. If u miss ur chance with that properly place a gyro near the ledge so it limits his options and then proceed to space with ftilt.
ur answers are in blue :). Hope it helps

yea ROB isnt as good and ppl think he is.
You can't Up Smash in mid air, silly NinjaLink.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Sudai calm down, three posts about Lucas in ROBs Q&A thread isn't the end of the world, the whole point of them is to contain spam anyways.

TP

Smash Master
I'm fighting a Yoshi in a tourney tomorrow, and Yoshi has a 0-death chaingrab on Ganon. What should I know about the ROB-Yoshi matchup?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Eggs usually outcamp ROB. Usually. Try and keep it close combat. You'll usually win. Usually.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I destroy yoshis with Rob. Laser stops every egg. ROB out camps yoshi. Basically do what he does. If he approaches u approach. If he camps u camp. I fought a campy yoshi recently in tourney so i used rob. 2 stock twice. Quick tip. place a active gyro near the ledge. Yoshi cant jump over and it takes his jump instantly. He cant Super Armor it. Dont bother chasing him off stage. If u can, laser him if he stays offstage throwing eggs. Gyro ***** yoshi lmao

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
thanks for the Yoshi tip about lasers winning vs. his eggs, I feel dumb for not thinking of that :( and gyro really eats second jump? I mean they can always ledgehop with an airdodge [and then he takes your gyro ;__;] also he can upB and the egg will move the gyro away from the edge

but that's still good to know.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
he has to airdodge ******** close to it. i mean LITERALLY hanging on the ledge. Hes gonna have fun tryin to hit the gyro with an egg offstage because he cant hang on the ledge without it touching him. Yoshi is NOT small.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
It's hot hard to hit a gyro with an egg from the ledge. Ledge dropped egg toss hits the gyro and regrabs the ledge..sooo yeah.
I guess u dont get me. I mean the gyro is literally hanging off the ledge to the point where 1 pixel more and it falls. yoshi CANT throw and egg from there. He cant hang there either.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
What happened to the giant list of circuitry-blowing frame data that the smash researchers were working on from a few months ago? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I have basic frame data about how fast hitboxes come out but nothing about ending lag or anything else that may be important. :[ No, NL, I don't believe anybody's posted it here before.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I forget the name of the person doing it for this forum but there was a thread asking for specific things we wanted to know the frames of like canceling a gyro in the air without airdodging or other specific things like that

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
I have a quick question that I don't think has been asked before.

How are you guys not bored of ROB yet?

Don't get me wrong, I love our robotic overlord as much as the next ROB main does, but I feel that in the past month or two my ROB hasn't really improved. There was a period of time when I practiced glidetoss lengths/approaches, spacing with ftilts, controlling myself with upB, but it feels like I've hit a brick wall with ROB now as far as improving skill as a player. I've had to pick up IC's/ZSS recently just so I wouldn't get bored of this game >_>

Is it just by playing against better quality players? Because I still keep losing to the same people I've been losing to and winning against the same people I used to win to.

Blah!

:edit: I mean, just look at the ROB boards. The most active topics are ROB Rankings, Collection of Top ROBs (pretty much like the rankings as far as significance goes), and ROB in Brawl+. What happened to our board??

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Well, the board has gotten pretty boring recently but I'm having more fun with Brawl than ever. You should consider that maybe you have improved significantly, you just can't tell against people you regularly play against because they've also improved and you're familiar with each other's playstyles. Me, I can tell I've greatly improved when I went from getting borderline 3-stocked against a good MK/G&W to actually putting up a fight, among other things.

buenob

Smash Lord
rob has little to absolutely no "tech skill" as it is... once you get glide-tossing and master his up-b, there's nothing more to really do (except glidetoss->reverse up-b lol)

I recently picked up ZSS (and beat Ally's CF 2 stock :)) but that was mostly to do with dealing with fox, not with being bored...

rob is all about mind-games and being able to evaluate your opponent... for me, i just love it when my opponent literally hits themselves with my moves because I've been able to read their patterns so well... can't count the number of times recently iv'ed sh->fair infront of them, only to have them jump into it...

anyways... if you're bored, and crave tech-skill, pick up link :) if you want to keep playing rob, you're going to need to start to take pleasure in just beating your opponent

buenob

Smash Lord
hah too true... though CvS2 (and now sf4) both require even _more_ so you can always just pick up other fighters if ya want some tech skill competition

lol but really, of all the characters, rob doesn't really have many moments where you say to yourself "man, i missed my input, if I'd had that, I would have won for sure!"... it's more "why did I roll directly into his utilt" and "haha what a sucker, got hit by my lazer and he had his 2nd jump gimped"

buenob

Smash Lord
20 says that if I didn't post this, the next post would have been "or just mk covers every matchup" :p

also, I did pick up pika... I found that as awesome as neutral b is, if the person knows how the aerials cancel, understand which of pikas moves have priority and which don't, and know where quack-ing will take him, he loses pretty hard to a lot of characters....

really, i right now i just need a fox counter... so many rando foxes coming up these days, and they're all really good... zss beats fox nicely :)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
20 says that if I didn't post this, the next post would have been "or just mk covers every matchup" :p
Not going to lie, that's EXACTLY what I thought before I scrolled down to read this lol

I've been playing mario more and more because he's fun. I still definitely main ROB though, and it's not a terrible thing to take some time off if you don't feel that you're progressing. To be honest, it's been little over a year since Brawl came out in America. In the hours and hours that I've put into this game so far, I haven't even scratched the surface of exploring all of the characters and truly understanding where they all lie in terms of potential and my feel for them. Sure, I've been playing with secondaries and I've heard of a lot of ATs, but I think that really going in-depth into other characters' ATs and such is a good thing if ROB gets boring.

/random paragraph. Hope that sounds as coherent as it does when I think of it =P

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Just find a secondary that you like and explore with it. Especially if they have a completely different style from ROBs, it can be a nice refresher.

I duno, pick one of the weirdly unique characters and you might enjoy them (imo ZSS, Wario, Diddy, Snake)

Yttuty

Smash Apprentice
is there any that shows all the advanced techniques from ROB?

I need it for a friend

thx!

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
is there any that shows all the advanced techniques from ROB?

I need it for a friend

thx!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183492
In the AT section, unfortunately ROB doesn't have many AT's. (As stated one page ago >_>)

As for my previous question, thanks for all the input. I guess I kinda implied I wanted more of a technical challenge, but I played melee before and my fingers were just too ******** for it. I'll give Brawl+ a go but I guess I'll just have to learn to like this game somehow.

Yttuty

Smash Apprentice
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183492
In the AT section, unfortunately ROB doesn't have many AT's. (As stated one page ago >_>)

As for my previous question, thanks for all the input. I guess I kinda implied I wanted more of a technical challenge, but I played melee before and my fingers were just too ******** for it. I'll give Brawl+ a go but I guess I'll just have to learn to like this game somehow.
oh thanks, I'll read some of the info showed on that thread

btw, is there any video that shows everything?

actually I missed the word "video" on my previous post :/

buenob

Smash Lord
i accidentally you out a lot :) ... (helped)

no there's no single vid, but i mean glide-tossing and then a vid with his up-b is really all there is to specifically watch... other than that, watch good matches and learn how to space

Top Bottom