• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
Um... is it well-known that if you run off the ledge and dair immediately, you can bounce yourself back onto the level without using a jump? it's pretty useful sometimes, since it allows you to get back on the stage instantly without having to worry about someone exploiting the freaking huge blind spot directly underneath you. Not claiming to have discovered it or anything, just saying...
Bair is generally used because bair has a faster startup and a long-lasting hitbox. Dair's slow startup and very brief hitbox leaves you very open and vulnerable.

Faster startup is good for obvious reasons, but the lasting hitbox is what makes bair so much better than dair in this case. Most characters have UpB recoveries that come from below (Marth, Diddy, Luigi, etc.). They won't be predictable with it because they don't want to be gimped. If they have stall options (Marth's Dancing Blade, Peach Float), they'll do whatever's possible to not get gimped. Against good players, you won't know for sure when they'll use their recoveries.

With that in mind, bair maximizes your chances of hitting them out of their recoveries, mostly because the hitbox lasts for so long. On the other hand, you'd have to have perfect timing AND prediction to land a dair.

GwJumpman said:
You still need to be careful. I've been gimped before by almost all the cast. It doesn't matter who they are, if they're good, you need to watch out.
Most likely juggle-capable opponents with ledge traps. If your opponent can juggle you so that it's better to recover by ledge, can shield well, and knows to stand slightly away from the ledge ready to react, ROB's fuel might be in danger. ROB has a lot of options on the ledge, but they're pretty blockable if your opponent knows your options.

MK and Marth tend to do this a lot...

Mr.E

Smash Lord
For a multitude of reasons, most characters simply aren't capable of gimping ROB. Hell, I can only name five characters that have ever gimped me, and one of them only once under extenuating circumstances. Even Marth doesn't usually gimp, so much as just beat ROB senseless with his ridiculous edgeguarding until he gets an outright kill with a spike or fresh BAir / FSmash.

Faster startup is good for obvious reasons, but the lasting hitbox is what makes bair so much better than dair in this case. Most characters have UpB recoveries that come from below (Marth, Diddy, Luigi, etc.).
Not that the post at large isn't correct but I've had more success spiking Luigi than most characters. The Tornado doesn't sweetspot and he'll almost always use it before resorting to the Up-B, making it relatively easy to spike. More generally, you could say it applies for any recovery that doesn't sweetspot, the only other notable examples that come to mind being Snake's Cypher and Sonic's Spring. With practice, some of the more predictable recoveries might also be spikable, like DK with his very limited vertical range.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The problem is that most of the characters who can't easily sweetspot the ledge won't put themselves in a position to be easily spiked. Sonic's recovery is way too versatile to even bother trying to spike. Snake usually has to be set up by fairing a few times out of his up-B before he's forced into a spikeable position. Luigi's down-B rises quickly and has a big hitbox, it's not that easy to time the spike on it. DK's not too bad but he can mix up the timing a little bit. Wario's not too bad if he doesn't have his bike. DDD's real easy to footstool which combos into spike.

And you're right, very few characters even have a chance of gimping ROB. I think I've been gimped by MK, Marth, DDD, and ZSS, and when I screw up really bad, the occasional triple-spike gimp by characters like Diddy.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I totally spiked TheMann out of his Tornado twice tonight, don't tell me it's that difficult to do. :lick:

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Does that include the good IC? Like Lain and Meep? I've played Meep...he ***** me each game. He got so bored of owning the hell out of me with IC's he went Marth T_T

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Let's put it this way: Lain is too scared to play me with his IC's and always uses Dedede instead.

lain

Smash Master
Let's put it this way: Lain is too scared to play me with his IC's and always uses Dedede instead.
wut?

This is news to me. I recall playing you like once in tournament, and I went DDD because it's a better matchup. I wouldn't consider that exactly scared.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
This may be an in general question about smash but people notice it most with my ROB....

Appearntly I have a spamming sidestep problem. I've had NEO, Rogue Pit, and Dark Pch tell me this, and I think if they say it I should work on it. Idk why but I feel the need to continuisly sidestep to avoid damage. They also said I roll too much as well....

My question is how do u solve this probelm?

Sudai

Stuff here
Just stop doing it? Only thing I can think of. Spend a few matches in friendlies consciously scolding yourself whenever you do one.

Try replacing rolls with SH retreating projectiles/fairs and try replacing spot dodges with..well..other stuff that varies based on what they're doing at the time. XD

Lupito

Smash Rookie
Samething with that question. but to add. I notice, and not just me, that I do the same moves. Now mind you that i am descent at Melee but with Brawl it's like I turn to a **** super sayian.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
Spotdodge substitutes:

- dtilt (comes out in 3 frames I think)
- jab (also frame 3? frame 2?)
- Cancel the jab into a grab.

Slightly slower possibilities

- Retreating fairs
- Crossover fair (ie. if facing away from opponent, SH to his other side and FFfair). This can be a good choice depending on the matchup. Against MK, he can dsmash and nullify the crossover. However, his UpB OOS is nullified because you're behind him. You can Grab/Dtilt/jab canceled grab with a greater chance of success if he's facing the other way though. Same for most of the other chars.

Egitor

Smash Cadet
In order to stop that sort of habit you have to become properly aware of it yourself first. Watch some of your own replays, pay attention to your habit. Then, play some matches and try to notice when you do it.
After you've started to notice you do indeed have a habit, you can start getting it out of your system if you want to. Next step is, as Sudai said, scolding yourself every time you do it. Then try to play matches while replacing your habit with other options. Watch the replays of those and see if it is going away.

After putting effort into it for a while (e.g. putting energy into actually NOT doing it) it will become natural just like your habit used to be, only now you've got the habit you wanted to train yourself to have.

It's not easy and generally takes time for built-in habits like this one, but if you get it down it pays off, not in the least because you now made a method for eliminating bad habits your own.

Best of luck with that JJ :)

Mr.E

Smash Lord
You guys forgot the all-important: MOVE. You know, just take a couple steps back and pop them with a tilt or smash. ROB has great spacing on the ground, use it to your advantage. I suspect so many of you guys wouldn't be having trouble with Fox if you just walked out from under his aerial approach as well. ;[

Haha. I love when people name drop but the name they drop is of someone that searches for their name.
Took him long enough to find something. :p But hey, I say that stuff to him in-person too. JJ is the one who brought him up anyway, I was merely responding. ROB is a terrible match-up for IC's.

You're gonna be at the circuit event, right lain? (SEARCH NAME FIND MY POST AGAIN PLOX) I want some Dedede practice. And I totally never said I **** you, since I don't. I would **** your Ice Climbers but you don't play them against me and beat me with Dedede instead. :( But no johns. Come! Fight me! [/MK]

EDIT: Hmm, let's see what a search of my name brings up...

EDIT #2: Not very well, I forgot there's a good five people that go by "Mr.E" around here these days, between me, Mister_E, perhaps MrEh... There was a Mr.EMan at the Gamers 4 Giving thing last weekend. Sheesh. :/

jjvirus

Smash Champion
In order to stop that sort of habit you have to become properly aware of it yourself first. Watch some of your own replays, pay attention to your habit. Then, play some matches and try to notice when you do it.
After you've started to notice you do indeed have a habit, you can start getting it out of your system if you want to. Next step is, as Sudai said, scolding yourself every time you do it. Then try to play matches while replacing your habit with other options. Watch the replays of those and see if it is going away.

After putting effort into it for a while (e.g. putting energy into actually NOT doing it) it will become natural just like your habit used to be, only now you've got the habit you wanted to train yourself to have.

It's not easy and generally takes time for built-in habits like this one, but if you get it down it pays off, not in the least because you now made a method for eliminating bad habits your own.

Best of luck with that JJ :)
This prolly the best advice I've gotten so far. Thanks mah d00 :D

lain

Smash Master
You're gonna be at the circuit event, right lain? (SEARCH NAME FIND MY POST AGAIN PLOX) I want some Dedede practice. And I totally never said I **** you, since I don't. I would **** your Ice Climbers but you don't play them against me and beat me with Dedede instead. :( But no johns. Come! Fight me! [/MK]
Really? We can mm with IC vs Rob if you want lol. We can even record it.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
There needs to be a thumbs up smilie, or at least one not attached to a green, grinning face. :bigthumbu I'm down with it. We should probably do it Friday before actual tourney matches can interrupt us.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I still don't think it's GaW. I'd say DDD.

WARNING: DON'T TRUST EVERYTHING I SAY; I'VE BEEN BRAWL DEFICIENT FOR A WEEK OR SO AND ALREADY FORGOT THE NAMES OF SOME CHARACTERS IN THE CAST.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
lmao, doesnt matter, theyre just hard in general, some people might have more experience against certain matchups, ie: JCz and his experience with game&watch, as i've recalled, he said he never lost one, even on their CP

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
My personal worst matchups, besides MK, are probably DDD, Olimar, Falco, ZSS, Fox, and Diddy, in approximately that order. G&W isn't even top 5. But that's just me. It's different for everyone.

Edit: Wow, almost forgot Oli...

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Just a couple questions...

I'm rather new to these forums, and R.O.B... So pardon my ignorance.

Here we go:

Is classic controller any good for R.O.B.? I only have access to a wii-chuck, wiimote and classic controller.

I don't think my strategy is very good, according to some of the guides, dair isn't a pretty move. However, most of the time i just chuck the people over the edge (After racking up damage with projectiles or whatever) and spike 'em with dair. Recommend anything better? I've tried abusing bair and nair, but it isn't working too well...

Again, sorry if this was already asked.

Bladewing

Smash Apprentice
Just a couple questions...

I'm rather new to these forums, and R.O.B... So pardon my ignorance.

Here we go:

Is classic controller any good for R.O.B.? I only have access to a wii-chuck, wiimote and classic controller.

I don't think my strategy is very good, according to some of the guides, dair isn't a pretty move. However, most of the time i just chuck the people over the edge (After racking up damage with projectiles or whatever) and spike 'em with dair. Recommend anything better? I've tried abusing bair and nair, but it isn't working too well...

Again, sorry if this was already asked.
controller preference is up to you. choose what you like. If classic controller works for you then use it.

At higher levels of play you'll notice that it's fairly difficult to spike someone with robs dair. Practice makes perfect so keep using rob and nair and bair and eventually you'll learn to be good with him and his moves

I have one question...hows robs matchup against samus?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I *****-*** annoying one. ROB out-camps her but her projectiles do a hell of a lot more damage, and the Zair prevents approaches. I usually camp as far away as possible and make her approach. Ledgecamping works wonders too. Just don't roll much. She can just turn around and dtilt you out of it.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Samus vs. ROB is possibly the most

Matchup in the game. Seriously I want to rip my hair out. It's nothing but camping spiking and gimping. Not that we're bad at it but my god it's boring. I can't even describe the brick wall VS brick wall effect like this.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Samus vs. ROB is possibly the most

Matchup in the game. Seriously I want to rip my hair out. It's nothing but camping spiking and gimping. Not that we're bad at it but my god it's boring. I can't even describe the brick wall VS brick wall effect like this.

LOL!

Okay one more thing, is the final smash glitch thing on that bridge stage (The one from zelda, how the bridge explodes and stuff) illegal?

I use it to piss off my friend, since he insists on putting items on.

buenob

Smash Lord
also, samus (not zamus) requires really specific spacing to be that frustrating... rob can easily get in closer/go further and just stay in control like that :) once you get her spacing down, it's much less frustrating... i'm not going to say "easy" because there's some good samus players, but definitely less annoying

Top Bottom