• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

onecrazycanadian

Smash Cadet
yesterday i was playing and i Baired into Pit's sideB and continued going backwards after i hit him. I hadn't been hit so I did not have momentum cancel that affects Bair normally. wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
If I were to ever play RIG...where would I take him!?!?!?! I hear he ***** on all stages O_O

Ok serious question.....I think I asked this once before...but I'm not quite sure and too lazy to check...so anyway who does ROB work best with in Doubles? worst?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Everyone is just gonna name characters that they've personally teamed with before. That's what always happens.

Just team with some with good kill power and who doesn't mind fighting in the fray and you're set.

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm still gonna hold that it doesn't matter what character you team with. You could team with M2K but if the partners don't mesh well, it's not gonna work. In teams it a lot more about partner choice than partner's character choice.. :/

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
idk, sudai... I'd certainly drop pretty much any other partner for a free mew2king pass =). You can always force the battle into two 1 v 1s and I trust him with at least that. That also means that you won't have to play against him eventually.

Honestly, though, you're right. I've teamed with Snake players and Sonic players all the same. It's just more fun to play with people you're comfortable with even if their characters don't have "kill power" or "team combos." What do you ban against a ROB and Sonic team, anyway?

Oh, and the whole "Wario + ROB = win" thing started awhile ago when someone suggested that their odd styles meshed well together. It might have been OS months ago.

blukberry

Smash Cadet
I actually mained ROB for a while and I came up with the conclusion that Snake and G&W are his best secondaries (depending on your preference)

I picked Snake because, between ROB, Snake, and G&W (which I played all three, but I wanted to decide a second one on which to focus more), I was most comfortable fighting Meta Knight as Snake.

For me, though, I realized I was just better with Snake than ROB.

Anyway, the only problems in this is that this leaves the ROB fight to a ditto, since Snake vs ROB is not very good. G&W would cover the ROB fight better. But same with G&W, you would have to ditto it.

Then with ROB / Snake you have DDD as a problem, neither is a good character to use against him.

So my all conclusive conclusion that concluded my thougts was, to have yourself covered as ROB, learn:

Snake / G&W

or

Meta Knight.

Thank you, that is all.
Thanks vorgeon for the information
I think ill go for snake because his matches are always intressting

Levitas

the moon
READ: I have the means to test frame perfect input data. Tell me what you guys need tested if ROB has some sort of weird ATs. I mean weird cancels and stuff (along the lines of DACUS and zap jumping).

I'm currently responsible for frame data in the lab for ness, lucas, and ROB, and I want to do the best job possible, so it would be nice if someone could point out weird things unique to ROB for me to test specifically so that I don't miss anything, especially because I don't frequent these boards.

Thanks.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
angry stomp. (maybe to see if it can actually avoid grabs)

personally, i would like to see the actuall trajectory and ranges of the gyro at different charges

this might sound stupid. does performing aerials during upB, actually reduces its gas? yeah bair increases horizontal, but i seem to lose some vertical cuz of it.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
READ: I have the means to test frame perfect input data. Tell me what you guys need tested if ROB has some sort of weird ATs. I mean weird cancels and stuff (along the lines of DACUS and zap jumping).

I'm currently responsible for frame data in the lab for ness, lucas, and ROB, and I want to do the best job possible, so it would be nice if someone could point out weird things unique to ROB for me to test specifically so that I don't miss anything, especially because I don't frequent these boards.

Thanks.
I'd like to know the pertinent frames for a bunch of ROB's attacks (ie frames until hitbox comes out, how long it stays out, frames until move is over and you can do something else): Jab, all tilts, fsmash, dsmash, fair, uair, gyro, the 3 types of lasers, the 3 types of grabs.

As for AT stuff, I guess knowing the frames where you can gyrocancel instead of airdodge would be good (and I think there are also frames where if you press shield too early it doesn't register). That's all I can think of for that though. ROB doesn't really have frame-dependent ATs. Maybe RARed up-Bs but I don't think knowing the frames would help anything.

Oh I have another one. After you start your up-B, on what frame can you do an aerial? There's a quarter-second or so where you can't do anything.

Levitas

the moon
angry stomp. (maybe to see if it can actually avoid grabs)

personally, i would like to see the actuall trajectory and ranges of the gyro at different charges

this might sound stupid. does performing aerials during upB, actually reduces its gas? yeah bair increases horizontal, but i seem to lose some vertical cuz of it.
I'll get this stuff for you, though the range data for the gyro might not be particularly relevant (in the same way that the timing for pressing b to cancel a fox illusion can't really be learned by looking at frame data)

I'd like to know the pertinent frames for a bunch of ROB's attacks (ie frames until hitbox comes out, how long it stays out, frames until move is over and you can do something else): Jab, all tilts, fsmash, dsmash, fair, uair, gyro, the 3 types of lasers, the 3 types of grabs.
To clarify, I'm doing all frame data for ROB. This kind of stuff comes standard (as does a ton of stuff that you probably didn't think of). This data is gonna blow your mind once it's posted.

As for AT stuff, I guess knowing the frames where you can gyrocancel instead of airdodge would be good (and I think there are also frames where if you press shield too early it doesn't register). That's all I can think of for that though. ROB doesn't really have frame-dependent ATs. Maybe RARed up-Bs but I don't think knowing the frames would help anything.

Oh I have another one. After you start your up-B, on what frame can you do an aerial? There's a quarter-second or so where you can't do anything.
I'll get the data for cancelling his Up and down b(ground and aerial), though I'm not familiar with the term gyro-cancelling. What exactly is it(I'm assuming that it's not something obvious)?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh cool.

In the air, if you press down-B to start charging the gyro, then press shield, you airdodge, right? Well if you press shield within a quarter second or so, you don't airdodge. It just stops charging with no lag. This is gyrocanceling. You can use it to quickly change direction in the air or even wavebounce, all without committing to a move.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
i thought that was just bad DI?
depends on the percent, I think it's like Sheik's tilt lock on some characters...
I haven't played enough Foxes though and the very few good ones I've played never DI'ed out [or never thought to/tried to successfully?] until...**** I can't remember if it was 50 or 75...

JMANSMASH [<3 Melee Ness Boards]:
Gyro Canceling (only works in the air as far as I know) is when you cancel the gyro without airdodging. As soon as the gyro appears when you press DownB, you hit shield and the gyro disappears [doesn't get charged at all though, iirc] and the immediate benefits are that you don't airdodge and you can immediately attack or do anything of your choosing as if you were just in the air like usual.

There are a LOT of applications for this though especially when combined with turning around and wavebouncing.

[hah can't wait for my combo/highlights vid ^_^]

edit: *shakes fist at JCz*

Levitas

the moon
Oh snap! I've been found out!

Thanks for the explanation, I'll be sure to get frames on and input tests for wavebouncing the gyro cancel. (and I guess normal gyro cancels, too).

Melee ness boards were good days. I'm gonna get this done by monday in all likelyhood, but that depends on scotu being able to make it back to our apartment in a timely manner.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
haha yeah man those really were good times...pretty sure we had one of the most informative and thoroughly discussed character forums ^_^

As for your name though, lmao everything changed after Pound 3...seriously, like I was even one of the people freaking out when I saw the results thread, I was trying to ask everyone I could find that went and was like "WAIT! JMAN PLACED?!?! WAS HE USING NESS?!?! OMMMMGGGGGWTFFF?!?!?!"

And then I just got funny looks...and you got your name changed XD

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
No if you DI in they get hit with the larger hitbox and go up. It's not a lock. However It works on Falcon and I think Falco. I did it to one guy to like 125% He said he DI'd >_> (lawlz see my combo vid. It matches the music perfectly too it's so lolwhut)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm taking a short break from ROB for two reasons

1. My ROB metagame has come to a standstill and I've heard that taking breaks will do you some good

2. I don't have a secondary that is very good. I'll be working on my Fox for a bit.

Of course, I'll still post on the ROB boards.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've used Fox since the game came out. He just clicks.

Of course, I spent an hour pissing people off using MK on AiB. I won nearly all my matches against people who usually beat me.

toasty

Smash Hero
I'm taking a short break from ROB for two reasons

1. My ROB metagame has come to a standstill and I've heard that taking breaks will do you some good

2. I don't have a secondary that is very good. I'll be working on my Fox for a bit.

Of course, I'll still post on the ROB boards.
I know exactly how you feel...

The past week I finally discovered my secondary and the funny thing is that it wasn't ANY of the 6 other characters I was messing with for so long [Marth/Lucario/Luigi/Olimar/Lucas/Peach] but instead it's someone that I HATED in Brawl at first and have only invested like 4 days in so far XD

so I've mostly been playing Pikachu this week [way more than ROB, even]

For real though, that's ****'s like refreshing stale moves or something...and not just throwing in a set of x-character between ROB marathons. If you ever feel like patterns are reoccurring or you're stuck in a rut, work on your secondary for an extended period of time and then occasionally throw ROB back in the mix for a set here and a set there

works wonders ^_^

toasty

Smash Hero
try characters you like? haha...what I mean is, I started playing Pikachu in the 64 days purely because he's ****ing adorable =D I have a friend who ends up using characters for obscure reasons too...like, not based on strength or speed or even style, one time he decided he would main a character in Guilty Gear, I think, just because his name was Johnny. He also mained Marth in Melee until he won some DK plush toy and then was like "you know what, I'll just main DK forever now" haha and yeah he still uses him in Brawl.

What I'm trying to say is that there are a number of reasons, whether they be odd or logical, to choose a character to play.

If you can't figure out what character you enjoy playing as, just choose a high tier character or one that you think is cool or one who has sweet costumes...etc.

If you are pretty much only comfortable with one character, it's generally difficult to use another character and feel comfort any time soon. Just keep playing and messing around with various characters and then it'll happen. It's like dating around until you fall in love...you can't just choose a girl and be like "you know what, I think I wanna make a marriage work with her." XD

Levitas

the moon
If you don't find a character whose style you like from the characters you want to try out, try a character that you don't like.

I find diddy's sounds to be the most annoying in the game, but I like his traps.

And then tell all your other characters "let's just be friends"

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Just main random for a little bit and you'll have a lot of fun finding stuff with other characters you didn't know about. Maybe you'll find a character you really enjoy playing, but even if you don't you'll still improve you're game with your main by knowing matchups better.

mackman

Smash Cadet
Um... is it well-known that if you run off the ledge and dair immediately, you can bounce yourself back onto the level without using a jump? it's pretty useful sometimes, since it allows you to get back on the stage instantly without having to worry about someone exploiting the freaking huge blind spot directly underneath you. Not claiming to have discovered it or anything, just saying...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yes, not that useful though, since most characters autowarp to the ledge from farther than the dair can hit.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Eh, I wouldn't say that JCz. It's has more than enough range that it should hit just about any character as long as it's spaced right.

buenob

Smash Lord
^^ and timed rediculously well.. its easier to fall off and bair, and then just jump back on, which is what most people do

also, as for seconds... i loved diddy and pikachu, both really were refreshing to play but I gotta say, give falco or zero suit spamus a real go for some real refreshing play... rob is all about spacing and mindgames... those chars are about throwing moves out as fast as possible (or just lazering) and you don't really have to think that much about what you should be doing in any situation... zss really cought on with me, and I think she's almost at my ROB level, though that could be people don't know how to play against her yet

mackman

Smash Cadet
it seems that an advantage the dair would have over the bair is that the dair will put you right back on the stage even if you miss the spike, whereas with the bair the positions are now reversed, and it's you who has to try and get back on if you missed it.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
it seems that an advantage the dair would have over the bair is that the dair will put you right back on the stage even if you miss the spike, whereas with the bair the positions are now reversed, and it's you who has to try and get back on if you missed it.
Even so you're still playing ROB and getting back up shouldn't be that hard. If thats all your doing I would even assume your robo burner is full, meaning you could probally go under the stage or just fly out to get ready for a gyro/laser to push them back while you get back on.

JCZ is right too, if they are in the range of your dair they are probally already hanging with invincibility frames anyway.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You still need to be careful. I've been gimped before by almost all the cast. It doesn't matter who they are, if they're good, you need to watch out.

buenob

Smash Lord
point is, they're recovering... drop down, early bair, aim for hitting them with the disjoint part, immediately revers up-b, you'll be back on the stage (or almost) before their invincibility frames run out

Top Bottom