• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Browny

Smash Hater
Hopefully this is new...

Anyway recently i found out certain characters can cancel thier dash, pick up an item, and glide toss/throw/anything REALLY fast if they cancel thier dash at the right time. Basically, for ROB, you can run over to your gyro, pick it up and throw it with no lag whatsoever without having to do a dash attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJCsVkfXnQE

My video shows sonic doing it most since i main him :p but about half way through i show ROBs version. I think ROB benefits from this the most since as you can see, its amazingly fast, and doesnt commit to ROBs rather average dash attack.

Is this new? if so ill explain it fully in another thread (since it applies to most characters) but i dont think ive seen anyone use this in a match before, and I believe there will be times in a match where doing this is much safer than doing a dash attack to pick up the gyro

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
That Dash item pickup looks really useful since R.O.B has a good amount of ending lag after his dash attack.

Nice pic, but I think JG Wentworth has you beat in the crazy hair department. You had to see it to believe it.
Thanks for the love bro lol My hair was definatly SS tier.

But anyways I wish we played some R.O.B friendlys. Good **** in Doubles Pools though, Robot Chicken Rapeddd.

buenob

Smash Lord
about the dash mechanics... rob never ends up in that 'slide' animation since his 'step' is so very, very tiny... all of the physics exploits (like link turning around to move faster) 100% do not help ROB unfortunately... so yeah, sonic with his mad screech-stop will definitely do well with tihs, and I've been picking up ZSS after watching snakeee and I sometimes find myself in that screech... this could be interesting with items, but now i'm a bit off topic..

point is, great mechanic, unfortunately won't help rob

Browny

Smash Hater
ugh can more people please tell me if that video i showed is anything new...

No one seems to care, but I think its a pretty useful technique :/ even if it is very obvious :p

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
ugh can more people please tell me if that video i showed is anything new...

No one seems to care, but I think its a pretty useful technique :/ even if it is very obvious :p
I just watched the video.

Looks useful for ROB, but I'm not sure if I've been doing this all along, you know? I'll have to look into it.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Aight I agree. Your hair is better than mine XD And it appears that I have a ChuDat pose O_o

**** being on topic :p lol jk actually....would we have a use/need for a tourney results thread? or would the index of top robs work for that?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The Index is probably the best place to keep track of results.

I have an actual ROB-related question. How exactly do you do a RARed up-B? I can only do it about 20% of the time and I don't know what I'm doing on the controller when I do it right. Sometimes it just up-Bs in the opposite direction from the one I'm running in. Someone who can consistently do it, what are the exact button-presses/stick-movements and timing?

buenob

Smash Lord
erm, i guess run forward, hit back, then up and slightly forward on the controller and B? kinda like guile's old super in sf2? (I don't know, i haven't done this before)

that out of the way, why the #$^! would you want to do a rar'd up-B? approaching nair mindgames? usually i see chars with immediate bairs do a rar, like Ike...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm not quite sure how I do it. It works for me when I fall and use Up B within a few seconds. =/

buenob

Smash Lord
RAR, or reverse aerial rush, specifically involves running and jumping forward with your back facing the opponent with the same momentum as if you had just jumped forward...

usually this is accomplished by running fwd, tap back then fwd immediately and jump at the same time... i would assume you just substitute the fwd/jump input for up/fwd + b... the same kind of up/fwd for waffling i'd think

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I can do normal RARs just fine. There's something different about RARing an up-B though, and I'm not sure what it is. I'd like to hear from someone who can do it consistently.

As for why I want to be able to do this consistently, it's very useful for edgeguarding, since up-Bing from the ground is much faster than jumping, which significantly slows down your momentum.

There are other reasons for RARing an up-B though.

buenob

Smash Lord
faster than jumping? do you mean you keep way more horizontal speed? I honestly have never up-b'd from the ground before...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You know how, when you first played Captain Falcon in Brawl, he still had the great running speed, but in the air he just seemed so slow compared to Melee Falcon? That's because when you jump in Brawl, running momentum no longer transfers to your jump. You can jump from the standing position with just as much horizontal speed as you can from a run. This is part of the reason why RARing works, because it doesn't matter what you're doing on the ground, you can get the same horizontal speed in your jump regardless.

Anyways, when ROB up-Bs from the ground, it MAINTAINS the running momentum. It's like doing a running jump with Melee Falcon. The only disadvantages to this are that you can't airdodge without doing an aerial first, and you can't do an aerial as quickly as you can out of a normal jump.

toasty sent me a PM about the RARed up-B (I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it here):
toasty said:
I'm trying to keep my postcount down since I only have 4 before 5000 and while I don't "care" too much about smashboards stuff or postcount or whatever, I think I'll buy into the illusion of thinking it should matter...iunno, it's fun.

So anyway.

The trick here is that you have to be running. At no point can you run, stop running and in that tiny slide animation, pull off a RAR upB...at least not in my experience.

Move the control stick from forward immediately to up (+B) and then quarter [maybe even 8th?] circle back in one fluid motion.

I can do this 90% of the time and usually only mess up because I hesitate or I just get sloppy OR [and this is kinda gross and not-so-frequent] if the room is humid at all, my hands will get ever-so-slightly sweaty and my thumbstick is worn down enough that a tad bit of sweat will make my thumb slip/mess up when doing fine button inputs like this...

as a result, I sideB a LOT :(

my favorite uses:
- obviously, bair
- rising nair
- easy way to grab edge when far away: RARupB-fair-fastfall
- ...man I wanna do this on video:
::someone is recovering sooorta high off the edge of the screen::
RAR-upB-->fair for upB cancel-->extra boost-->DOUBLE JUMP-->bair

ROB's double jump is huge and it's fast enough where you can catch people off guard.

you can replace the bair with nair if they're above you or if you just wanna cover more options

nair is great because the back of the hitbox, as you know, is ****ing fantastic

hope this helps :)
So it seems that you should not slam the stick back at any point. I think this is the mistake I've been making.

Egitor

Smash Cadet
I find myself making the same mistake as you did, JC. Trying to swap the 'jump' part of normal RAR with an up-B. Thank you and toasty for this explanation, tried it a bit just now and I already manage boatloads more then before! *goes back to practice mode*

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
So, ive been messin around trying some new stuffs out.
Found something nifty the other day. I figured I'd post it here, instead of making a new thread or whatever, just to see if anyone else has come across it.

I've been working on some rather... odd maneuvers out of glide tosses in different directions and whatknot and stumbled across something. Lemme know if its been found.

1) Ledgehog out of a glide toss (kinda) w/ gyro being thrown down, offstage.
Get close to the edge, facing it. Glide toss forward w/ the gyro down. Quickly tap forward and then back as if you were going to sticky/ledgehog. The result is you more or less continuing the 'gliding' animation, sticking the ledge, and the gyro being tossed downward, off the stage, directly under the ledge.

1a) Same as above, but you don't stick the ledge.

Possible Applications?: the benefits of Z-dropping or throwing the item down with the added bonus of a ledge-stick.

2) Stand as close to the edge as possible, back to the ledge. Glide toss backward, with the gyro being thrown down. The result is tossing the gyro down onto the stage, and auto-sticking the ledge.

Possible Applications?: Good way to retreat when pinned on the edge to get the invincibility frames and deal some damage.

I'm not entirely sure about what the exact mechanics are that cause this. So, someone with some frame knowledge and such, feel free to look into it. I'll try to get a vid up sometime soonish. At the moment, I'm too inconsistent with it to use it for anything, but maybe after some frame data or an explanation behind the mechanics is found out, it could be slightly useful.

Sudai

Stuff here
I think I can, and if I'm picturing it right, I don't think the first one would be too helpful since we can already z-drop items while hugging and have the gyro fall down. The second option seems nice though, if glide tossing backwards while on the ledge really puts you on the ledge since that means A) We're on the ledge and B) we have our gyro on the stage giving us more cover.

Overall, the first seems rather useless since we can do the same thing..but more easily and the second seems situational at best. Never hurts to have more options though.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Vid should be up soon. Since there was only an interest in #2, i did one of that. I did this vid in like... 5 minutes, so it isnt snazzy or anything like that. I accomplish it inconsistently at best until the last 3-4 tries.

http://files.filefront.com/glidetossthingwmv/;13271179;/fileinfo.html

There. I uploaded it incorrectly on filefront, so it doesnt have streaming like some other vids and whatknot. Anyway, its only like... 28 MBs...

Edit: it should be able to be streamed now

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
Vid should be up soon. Since there was only an interest in #2, i did one of that. I did this vid in like... 5 minutes, so it isnt snazzy or anything like that. I accomplish it inconsistently at best until the last 3-4 tries.

http://files.filefront.com/glidetossthingwmv/;13271179;/fileinfo.html

There. I uploaded it incorrectly on filefront, so it doesnt have streaming like some other vids and whatknot. Anyway, its only like... 28 MBs...

Edit: it should be able to be streamed now
Holy crap.

That's amazing.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I thought you said they Gyro goes under the stage >_>

Whatever. I guess you could also do this from farther away sept you'd lose the benefit of the Gyro edgeguard. No taking time to position yourself though. Nice find.

After going back and taking a look at old AT's, I noticed you can also drop items during Airdodges (airdodge and hit Z right after). With all this shiznits I'm thinking

Dodge dropped Gyro> glide toss edgehog> edgehop fair pickup anyone???

I'm gonna make a video montage.... tomorrow.

Sudai

Stuff here
I had a feeling that's what you were talking about for the second and I really like it. Just kinda like ".......NEED TO RUN! GAH!" I could even see this being useful as a retreat to the ledge from far away if we need it. I've always been a fan of Glidetoss away+down as an escape, this just makes it better.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
1) Ledgehog out of a glide toss (kinda) w/ gyro being thrown down, offstage.
Get close to the edge, facing it. Glide toss forward w/ the gyro down. Quickly tap forward and then back as if you were going to sticky/ledgehog. The result is you more or less continuing the 'gliding' animation, sticking the ledge, and the gyro being tossed downward, off the stage, directly under the ledge.

I'm not entirely sure about what the exact mechanics are that cause this.
I feel like the foward tap > hold back at the end of the glide toss is like running of the ledge and hugging it, except instead of coming out of a dash, its being buffered out of a glide toss. Thats my thoughts on the mechanics of it.

Nice typo in the title. It's a good thing i red it or you would've never noticed it.
I noticed that too and I was just about to say something.

I could even see this being useful as a retreat to the ledge from far away if we need it.
This setup (gyro on edge of stage + ROB on ledge) is beautiful. Just imagine if your opponent tries to approach you. Hit by spinning gyro>slight gyrostun>ledgehop nair (or even just standarad ledge>nair>ledge regrab)
The first time this happens, I wanna see vids.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I thought you said they Gyro goes under the stage >_>.
Doing it *facing* the edge results in it being dropped off the stage's ledge. But, Sudai said that we can almost do the same thing now by z-dropping into a ledge-stick- so i didnt bother making a vid of that one.

Also, glad its useful. I practiced it some more today, and used it a few times in the match with pretty good effect. Like Sudai said, its a good "OH MY GAWD RETREAT" option, especially since ROB normally has a horrendous time sticking the ledge (w/o use of Up+B). The fact that its kinda... unsuspected results in a free gyro hit, and if your lucky a few more free ones which will allow you to ledge-hop into an offensive.

Top Bottom