• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Falco + ROB was working out great. We got 1st seed in our teams pool, but then in the brackets we had to face teams with good MKs and went 2 and out :ohwell: Facking Metaknight!

I made it out of singles pools (also tough and I had to beat a pretty good MK from Canada to do it) but I didn't get to play out all my matches because I had to leave (work in the morning). What an awesome but epic failure of a tournament! If you missed all the drama, it didn't get started until about 6 hours after it was supposed to, and everything was running super late.

Oh and there was some ROB player named JG Wentworth with DBZ hair. He was pretty good. What is with ROB players and wacky hairdos? *cough jj cough*

Holy lost to G-Reg's Fox (which I'm 1-1 against in tourney), dunno about any of his other matches.

I lost a ROB ditto to Chibo, last match last stock :ohwell: I need Nacker training.

And now I need to sleep.

buenob

Smash Lord
did you play KingAce? or Zaf?.. or maybe JL I dunno which other canadians went, so I dunno... wish I had gone to this

BossOfTheGame

Smash Rookie
Aight, so I guess this is the thread to ask this question. I made a topic on it, but whatever. I need help fighting Sheik. I can't seem to do anything about it. Anyone have any tips on how to fight a Sheik? (Especially on ways to DI out of ftilt lock)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Zaf was the one I beat to make it out of pools. And sorry, no vids at all and I didn't get to play any on the livestream either.

buenob

Smash Lord
on topic:

against characters like shiek, you just have to concede that if you're health is <50%, and you get hit, you're going to get combo'd... a lot of people get frustrated and attack recklessly after they "finally" escape, but in reality, you're not really in that bad of a position... keep your cool, once rob is at ~100%, the _only_ things that could kill would be a ledge-guarding fair, a high uair, fsmash, and really Usmash is the one you gotta watch out for...

space yourself to stay away from those, and you'll live to ~200%... all of a sudden, that 60% you took at the beginning doesn't matter, since shiek's terrible recovery vs. rob should mean she only lives to 120-150... so % per death it's about even (so don't worry about it)....

lol anyways, spacing is, as always, the key :)

off topic:

zaf has gotten a _lot_ better lately, since he's hooked up with ally/holy in the newly formed Live2Win crew. gotta say I'm sad he didn't make it out of pools, and wtf was up with all the pro's at the end not wanting to be live-streamed... I get the feeling they have a few tricks up their sleeves, and since brawl is all mindgames they don't want them to be revealed...

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Haha I didn't think it was that big of a deal, plus there were plenty of observers who would have brought out anything unusual they caught.

And speaking of gay combos at low percents, Fox's u-tilt also makes me very angry. lol

And Fox DOES have high KO power.

buenob

Smash Lord
what fox doesn't have is an approach lol... soon as a fox sets up above you... dash to the side and laugh as he full-hops again... read his decent patterns, and usmash his stubby little legs when he gets predictable :)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Before Sudai has one of his "Don't make me lock this" moments, @ boss: I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to keep smash di-ing THROUGH the ftilt, as in toward shiek's back, opposite the way he's facing.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Question: Do I Smash DI and Analog DI up to get out of MK's nado? I was doing that on wifi today and I wasn't having any luck. Maybe it was just wifi messing with me.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
what fox doesn't have is an approach lol... soon as a fox sets up above you... dash to the side and laugh as he full-hops again... read his decent patterns, and usmash his stubby little legs when he gets predictable :)
Funny that your boy Holy lost to G-Reg's Fox...

I wish I had gotten some dittos in with him though.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Fox has all sorts of approaches against ROB. Stall shine to dair = uber win if ROB isn't prepped.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Heh, I was just prodding at bluenob for thinking Fox is easy. G-Reg figured out a while ago that Fox has a much better matchup vs ROB than Snake does.

Sudai

Stuff here
Any fox that tries to shine hover above me gets to eat a UTilt or a SH/FH UAir (depending on how high they are). Both out range the DAir and Shine...so it's not a really good approach. Best approach Fox has is auto-canceled NAirs landing behind ROB..and even that's not that good.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Nice pic, but I think JG Wentworth has you beat in the crazy hair department. You had to see it to believe it.

On topic: Fox's quick vertical speed lets him shinestall higher than you can jump->uair and approach you very quickly when you're not ready for it, or he can come in slightly from the side so uair would miss but his dair won't. You can shield the dair->utilt combo, but he can mix it up with grabs. And if any of this shieldpokes you at all, you take a ton of damage. And once ROB is over 90%, you're in death range and you have to be super careful.

One more thing, if Fox gets you in the air, his fair ***** ROB pretty hard. It does a ****load of damage (like, more than ROB's uair), and combos into itself. ROB just gets stuck in it.

Oh, and you can't really camp Fox. He's faster than MK and has a reflector and a quick, damaging projectile.

Bottom line, I'd choose to fight Snake over Fox any day.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
if you get hit by Fox's fair, I THINK what you're supposed to do is DI BACK...meaning..behind YOU. It sounds counter-intuitive, bit if you try to DI through Fox, you just get stuck in the whole fair, and I recall being able to get out by either DI'ing up or backward even though you think you'd be DI'ing WITH Fox if you did that...

Sudai

Stuff here
Meh, I tend to play Foxes with my Lolimar anyway (0-60% grab combo? Yey~). I was going on old experience vs Fox. You guys better pay attention to JCZ here. ; )

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Here's how you beat Fox's approaches: MOVE OUT OF THE WAY! His lateral mobility in the air is about as good as Dedede's, except he doesn't have the reach. There's no need to jockey for position against him, just move over a couple inches so he can't hit you. His Blaster is also much, much less annoying to approach against than Falco's. Oh no, .5% damage! ...With range that barely goes half of FD! The only thing it's good for in Brawl is plinking at kill percentage if his USmash is stale. :/

But yeah, he's still worse than Snake. Matchups, etc. Olimar? more like 0-death with Zero Suit olol

WarmSoda

Smash Apprentice
The only thing better the JG's hair is his ROB.

Nuff said.

Ontopickinda: It was a pleasure to see your ROB JCaesar.

Top Bottom