• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Atria

Smash Journeyman
What are ROB's good and bad stages? Also, some reasons why would be helpful too if it doesn't bother anyone. Thanks!

Egitor

Smash Cadet
These have been discussed _thoroughly_ earlier on in the thread. If you want the whole thing, I suggest using the search function!

This is what it comes down to;
Any stage that has wide edges is good for R.O.B. since it makes it harder to KO him, while he has more options for edge-guarding. Campy stages also do well for most R.O.B. players, for example Luigi's Mansion (lazers go through the pillars while other ranged attacks don't, you can shoot a gyro at the pillar next to the edge so it helps edgeguard or recover) and Frigate Orpheon (use the moving platforms in both transformations to camp and gimp).

Atria

Smash Journeyman
These have been discussed _thoroughly_ earlier on in the thread. If you want the whole thing, I suggest using the search function!

This is what it comes down to;
Any stage that has wide edges is good for R.O.B. since it makes it harder to KO him, while he has more options for edge-guarding. Campy stages also do well for most R.O.B. players, for example Luigi's Mansion (lazers go through the pillars while other ranged attacks don't, you can shoot a gyro at the pillar next to the edge so it helps edgeguard or recover) and Frigate Orpheon (use the moving platforms in both transformations to camp and gimp).
If it was discussed earlier on in this thread, you could have given me a link to that page... >_> Anyways, the search function didn't help me with what I was looking for so that's why I came here to ask my question. If it did help, well I wouldn't be here asking this question now wouldn't I?

Sudai

Stuff here
Atria, try searching this specific thread for the word "stage". There's an option at the top of the page that quite literally says "Search this thread." Better results than forum wide searches or subforum searches.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Oh, thanks for the search advice. Shoot! That's a lot of posts just for the 1 question in this thread! O_O Oh, my question has DEFINITELY been answered BTW.

Silverflash-x

Smash Rookie
Hm, I'm fairly new to competitive ROB playing. I was doing decently in tournaments with my G&Wa few months ago, but stopped going to try to find a new main. I've settled on ROB, and I can hold my own with most characters. A few still give me trouble, though.

Olimar: Everything about this matchup seems horrible. I can kill the pikmin easily enough, but approaching is almost impossible, it seems.

Zelda: O_O. I am almost completely lost here. Camping is almost impossible, and Zelda is better than ROB up close.

ZSS: I am getting destroyed by every ZSS I play. I can space and fire lasers and gyros, but once ZSS approaches, I'm practically done for.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Yeah you named three particular fights that are hard on ROB. I'll give you my personal (maybe not necessarily the ROB majority) insights on this.

VS Olimar, This is the one I will be able to help you in least since I know very few people who play a decent Olimar. You have a problem, he outcamps you mid range, get outside of his Pikmin throw range, watch out especially for those white ones, and try to outcamp him with your laser. If he forces you to approach you are in trouble, since Olimar has a blindspot at a 45 degree angle (not straight in front or above). However, ROB doesn't hit that blindspot as well as say someone like Marth or Meta Knight would. So you have a problem where it is hard to outcamp Olimar, and hard to approach him. If he latches a Pikmin on you I usually U-tilt. I have little Olimar experience though as hardly anyone I know plays him. Remember he has virtually no priority, so keep that in mind.

VS Zelda: She is a pain. She has a reflector, a very good projectile, and you happen to be one of the easiest characters in the game for her to Sweetspot. Learn to DI out of her smashes ASAP. See if you can find any help with that.

VS ZSS: It is very hard to approach her if she is good and can space / keep good mid range pressure. You have an advantage though, once armor pieces are gone, you can outcamp her easily. Seriously, keep the distance on this one. If you can master Perfect-Shielding her moves she becomes a lot easier. That is seriously your best option at approach. You don't want to approach by air because her Stun-gun can still hit you and a full hop is challenging her in the air, where she will annihilate you. If you can master rushing at her and spotdodging and Perfect shielding you can get a good approach on her. Use your Gyro to your advantage as much as you can, instead of shooting it at her every time try using it to glide toss instead. If you can glide toss it into a F-smash between her stun-gunning it will definately scare her into not wanting to do it as much. If you manage to do that, you just got yourself a free approach. :)

PS: I am very sleepy, I hope I didn't leave any holes in this. If you still have questions ask on what you are still confused hopefully I can still help.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Does everyone here take tap jump off? (Or the setting where jumping with your joystick is taken off, I believe that is what it is).

I've been trying to do things like SH FF U-airs (mostly with other characters, but even with ROB there are times when I want to U-air without jumping and I mess up because of the jump from moving the joystick up)

I have gotten it down to where I can do U-airs without jumping the majority of the time but it's that one time you make the stupid mistake that really hurts you, especially as ROB ending up above a person is really not a good thing.

So yeah, this is a general question turned slightly ROB to be able to fit the ROB Q&A... but still... my question is..

For people who go to tournaments and play numerous characters (not just ROB), what settings do you mostly use on your controllers? I use gamecube, and I keep it the way the game designed it, but I have begun to realize that jumping through my Joystick is probably causing me a lot more mistakes than it ever even helps me. In fact, I never use it to jump.

I would appreciate all your insights. Thanks. :)

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Yes, but does having or removing the jump from the joystick really affect your playstyle? I understand this is very hypothetical and opinion based but I am just curious if I should try it. I am afraid to get used to the wrong thing though, that is why I hesitate.

Edit: That and I am going to pwn Sudai at the Houston tournament, even though he won't take up my challenge yet. :p

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It doesn't really affect how you play. If you know how to not waste your jump by accident effectively then you'll be playing just like if you used X or Y. I'm just used to tap jump.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Awww. If you happen to go then I'll give you a big (optional) hug. Then we can Brawl. I hope everything is cool and you decide to go. I don't want to have to represent ROB without you, even though I will be going about 50/50 with ROB and Snake.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
What stages does R.O.B. have an advantage on under tournament conditions (no items, 8 min, 3 stock, 1 v 1, etc...), and why? Also in a R.O.B. vs Snake/Sonic/G&W match-up, what stages should I pick, and why. I would prefer an answer for any stage that is not banned (except Hanenbow because apparently that is non-banned 4 teams) please and thank you.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I abhor Rainbow Cruise. lol

I usually ban it, especially against MK's. I notice though they usually tend to jump into Delfino Plaza though. It might just be my luck, but what other stages are gay for fighting MK in? I don't mind being in Rainbow Cruise as ROB, but against MK... no thanks. >.>

I'll take Falco. =D

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I have hit with it, but it's never guaranteed...but still, definitely go for it around 100-130 [depending on char. you're fighting] dmg because no other follow up move you could do from glide toss will definitely kill at that damage except usmash [heaviest characters it might take a lil more, not sure at all though]

a good situational thing to do with GT-usmash if they're at the edge of a platform [like, if they rolled or something] and you're on the stage, you can glide toss up, hitting their shield and knocking them off the platform, and then they fall onto your immediate usmash.

it's good times. just something to keep in your back pocket for when it comes up :)

Deadweight

Smash Ace
I have hit with it, but it's never guaranteed...but still, definitely go for it around 100-130 [depending on char. you're fighting] dmg because no other follow up move you could do from glide toss will definitely kill at that damage except usmash [heaviest characters it might take a lil more, not sure at all though]

a good situational thing to do with GT-usmash if they're at the edge of a platform [like, if they rolled or something] and you're on the stage, you can glide toss up, hitting their shield and knocking them off the platform, and then they fall onto your immediate usmash.

it's good times. just something to keep in your back pocket for when it comes up :)
Sounds usefull, I'll try and add it into my play style :D
I've been GT->Fsmash and havent been hitting anything so id thought there would be another option ;D

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If GT->fsmash isn't gonna work, then GT->usmash isn't gonna work. I would suggest GT->grab.

buenob

Smash Lord
if you get predictable with your GT, it`s pretty easy to punish, it`s all about saving that gt for catching them off guard... I think I`m just a sucker for zoning / slow projectiles but one of my favourite things to do is repeatedly un-charged top -> pick up -> jump back -> weak throw -> lazer over the course of a match, and then once I've trained them into thinking that, BAM gt-> fsmash/usmash/whateva

Deadweight

Smash Ace
if you get predictable with your GT, it`s pretty easy to punish, it`s all about saving that gt for catching them off guard... I think I`m just a sucker for zoning / slow projectiles but one of my favourite things to do is repeatedly un-charged top -> pick up -> jump back -> weak throw -> lazer over the course of a match, and then once I've trained them into thinking that, BAM gt-> fsmash/usmash/whateva
That sounds somewhat similar to what ive been doing, cept I sometimes like to run at them gt backwards and laser. It spaces really well and is pretty hard to punish imo. <- is also usefull vs reflectors. Ill try more of the gt -> grab, but that wouldnt kill to around 150+ >__> It would help tons with gimping tho :D

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I hear a random ROB (<-) and a random Falco (Keitaro) 2-0ed Ally and Seibrik in teams yesterday...

Daaaaaaamn

If you don't know who they are, they're pretty much the best Snake and DDD on the continent.

Sorry, no vids :ohwell:

buenob

Smash Lord
I can see that happening... ROB is great against snake, falco can take on either, and this is their first time teaming together.... I don't know why he ditched his brother, probably has something to do with KingAce's regular partner Percon not being there

also, it was just pools, so it's easy for rando's to catch you off guard, but that is really impressive

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I hear a random ROB (<-) and a random Falco (Keitaro) 2-0ed Ally and Seibrik in teams yesterday...

Daaaaaaamn

If you don't know who they are, they're pretty much the best Snake and DDD on the continent.

Sorry, no vids :ohwell:
Jcaez representin!
How did singles go/did they happen yet?
And this is CoT4, right?

Top Bottom