• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Egitor

Smash Cadet
Since you're the one to find this razer, are you going to give it a fancy name? If you don't feel this technique justifies a name, can I make a silly name to confuse people who don't read this thread?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I've done some more playing around with it, and I've been able to throw the gyro forward (toward the stage) and execute a ledgehog, but nowhere near consistently.

I'v also been able to throw the gyro down into a ledgehog, and have been able to do it while being farther from the edge (from about the owl/enguin lookin thing on SV, with opponent at opposite edge) with the gyro being thrown down onto the stage.

As someone said before, I think it is essentially buffering a ledge-stick out of a glidetoss- using the ledgehog in place of a smash/aerial/tilt/whatever. But, since you have to "dash off the edge"+DI back to ledgegrab, you need to buffer the 'dash' and input the 'DI back to the stage' as you would normally. All this is just theory, as I'm in no way shape or form an expert on the buffering system.

As for a name, meh. If you wanna be practical: "Glidehogging" if you wanna be silly "Razor's Awesome Glidetoss Special"- RAGS. (or leave out the "special" and make it RAG). Roflz!

But, like I said- I don't quite understand the physics behind it. So, my explanation is just my theory.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The new technique is pretty cool.

Also, I've been practicing RARed up-Bs and I'm terrible at it still, even knowing how to do it now :ohwell:

Anyways, I'm thinking maybe we should add links to important threads in the first post, and make this the ROB Boards Important Threads Directory + Q&A Thread. Sound good Sudai?

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah JCZ, I've wanted to do that for a while, I'm just too lazy to gather the links together. I've also been wanting to make this into an actual FAQ for a while too, so people will stop asking the same questions over and over. Again, I'm too lazy. Haha. If you get the links, I'll get the questions...sometime.

Also, I thing Glidehugging is a fairly practical name and but I don't really see a need. GT > Edgehug would probably get the point across better for people.

As for the mechanics, I'm pretty sure it's just buffering the dash to edgehog you said. I've been buffering dashes to pivot grabs out of GT for a while so I don't think this'll be too hard for me to pick up, luckily. : D

As for RAR-Up-B, is it really that hard to learn, JCZ? I haven't tried it yet (never bothered backwhen it was first found..........too lazy. Haha) but I can't see it being particularly hard? I'll try it out some this weekend and let you know if I think it's hard too. o.o

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
The new technique is pretty cool.

Also, I've been practicing RARed up-Bs and I'm terrible at it still, even knowing how to do it now :ohwell:
As for RAR-Up-B, is it really that hard to learn, JCZ? I haven't tried it yet (never bothered backwhen it was first found..........too lazy. Haha) but I can't see it being particularly hard? I'll try it out some this weekend and let you know if I think it's hard too. o.o

RAR'ing the up B to reverse the momentum is easy peasy, but kind of impractical unless you're retreating and want a surprise "counter-attack"

RAR'ing it and keeping the same momentum is significantly tougher (for me). I mean, i can jump->immediately RAR the up+B to get the static momentum... but it wastes a jump, so that's kinda silly.

The above is pertaining to doing it from the ground. Doing it while already in the air is simple.

Also glidhugging or GT->Hug is a-ok.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Its just that my tech skill sucks and there's a very small window for error. It's hard enough to up-B from the ground (you have to be running so you have to move the stick from sideways to up very fast), but reversing it without moving the stick back too far is just really difficult for me.

Then again, maybe its because I was trying it with my old crappy controller. I'll try again with my tourney controller when I get a chance.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
maybe it's because one of the few people I play a lot is a Marth main, but the first thing I thought of when this was posted was "Get *****, Marth."

But this also applies to anyone whose recovery choices are either "stick the edge" or "make it over the edge to land on the stage since they're edgehogging"

Back to ****** Marth, in case you really can't picture it:
(Getting Marth into a recovery position [generally at higher damage of course] gives you ample time to get a gyro in your hand to set this up.)
--Marth is at a safe distance to recover onto the stage with upB, but he won't unless he's being edgehogged.
--You glidetossdown->edgehog
--Marth upB's
--Marth not only DOESN'T get the edge, he gets hit by the bouncing gyro
--you may even be able to ledgehop backward and bair

Either way, you're in a good position for a KO or gimp.

LOL I would love to do all of this but instead of bair, ledgehop Z-pickup and throw the gyro back at him and...of course...laser.

That's not completely necessary, but flashiness is always good times ^_^

EDIT: obviously, this doesn't apply to characters with high priority(Vs. a sitting/bouncing gyro) upB moves like Mario, Squirtle, Spacies...I don't think Marth's will be an issue because if he's far enough away to hit the gyro with the tip, then he'll be too far to get on the stage and get edgehogged anyway (unless he recovers high up...but if that's the case, you have time to ledgehop bair or whatever anyway)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6633738&postcount=2536

btw...I hope people see the potential in this new thing for more efficient edgehogging/guarding

^_^

edit: kind of a coincidence with the timing of the 5000th post coming up and my being interested in modship (which I didn't get, oh well :)) but I had nothing else coming up to make an epic post about so I just said "**** it" and said, in not-so-definite terms that I might get out of the scene after Genesis....buuut I still couldn't really hold myself to that XD so I just said "probably" and then added "probably just brawl" lmao

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've tried that edgehogging, and I must say, it's hard to do at first but it's useful.

Also ROB boards, don't hate me for my new sig. I'm a Sonic fanboy at heart. (Games not in Brawl)

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
you can also run off the ledge, dair, and then di back on to the stage with no landing lag. i doubt this has anything to do with your question but it seems relevant to the question.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Dair is very very very very very very very situational. Don't use it if you can think of any other attack that will hit him too.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
But chances that a Snake will cypher from below you is very low. You can do it, but don't count on it.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Hi. I'm a new convert to the ways of R.O.B. and wanted some advice. I love using R.O.B.'s fair and it's honestly the reason why I mained him. However, I can think of any ways to approach with it beyond SHDF. Any tips?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Hi. I'm a new convert to the ways of R.O.B. and wanted some advice. I love using R.O.B.'s fair and it's honestly the reason why I mained him. However, I can think of any ways to approach with it beyond SHDF. Any tips?
I like to mix up my approaches with the Fair by switching between the SHDF, and SHed Bairs that push me behind the opponent
If you really want to stick to the Fair approaches though, you could do a SH over the opponent into a reverse UpB/gyro to Fair.
I like to do SHDF till my opponent starts shielding them. Then I start doing the Bair through the shield or jump over them to grab/run back through their shield to pivot grab. From there, I just mix it up and do what I think is best at the time ^_^
Just be creative and mix it up.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
walk > Ftilt is a safe option in most cases. SHDF isn't usually a really good approach on most characters. Your Fair isn't disjointed enough to be safe, and it doesn't have enough range to make it worth risking. This doesn't mean that Fair is bad, however, since it makes up a ton of ROBs air game. Just don't approach with it too predictably if your opponent can readily put up a shield.

If you're going to SHDF, make sure you use C-stick to do the aerials and use the control stick to stay as far away from the enemy as possible while still hitting him (ie. space correctly).

Example of Bad spacing = Fair'ing right into his face and getting shieldgrabbed.

Example of Good spacing = Kirby approaching, you SH back and C-stick forward to double fair. Kirby shields the first one and doesn't expect the 2nd and, thus, gets hit.

Fair has a lasting hitbox, unlike say... Marth's. Yes it's good, but don't be predictable and hit a shield unless you can get away fairly safely. Fairs should always be spaced unless he's vulnerable in lag and you're sure to hit. In that case, depending on his percent, you can keep your forward momentum and fair chain him away.

In most cases though, walking Ftilt is much safer than any Fair approach. You keep all your ground options, which are more varied compared with your air moveset. Your approach will change depending on who you're fighting though.

Most ROBs play slightly campy in most matchups, meaning they're playing keepaway. Ftilt, Retreating Fairs, and gyro/laser games make up a ton of normal ROB's games. Maybe you should watch some pro videos?

There's a video thread thing at the top of the board.

EDIT: Glidetossed gyro is an approach you'll probably use tons once you start, if you don't do it already. I didn't mention that at all, did I. My bad.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
Back to ****** Marth, in case you really can't picture it:
(Getting Marth into a recovery position [generally at higher damage of course] gives you ample time to get a gyro in your hand to set this up.)
--Marth is at a safe distance to recover onto the stage with upB, but he won't unless he's being edgehogged.
--You glidetossdown->edgehog
--Marth upB's
--Marth not only DOESN'T get the edge, he gets hit by the bouncing gyro
--you may even be able to ledgehop backward and bair

Either way, you're in a good position for a KO or gimp.
I main ROB and Marth. In my experience, Marth's UpB knocks the gyro away if he doesn't sweetspot the ledge (in which case he doesn't touch the gyro at all). It can't hurt I guess, but if your skill isn't down pat, he might be able to grab the ledge while you're having fun dancing on the edge in frustration.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Fair is ROB's best move imo.

Shockdrake has amazingly well-informed posts for someone who's post count is barely in the double digits. This is what happens when you read this thread in its entirety!

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about Aerial Cancel:

I've tried to Aerial Cancel many time with ROB, but somehow it is less efficent on him than on many characters, I can survive till very high % with Wolf using good DI and Aerial Cancel, but each time I Aerial Cancel with ROB and jump, his momentum doesn't seem to change one bit.

Has anyone noticed this?
If so could someone explain me why Aerial Cancel doesn't work for ROB?

Sudai

Stuff here
ROB's jump doesn't alter his momentum. Momentum canceling -does- work with ROB, it's just not super effective like it is with some characters. Just make sure to use FAir and fast fall it, but don't waste your double jump.

ShockDrake...you're my new favorite poster on the ROB boards. *eyes well up*

I wish everyone would read the thread in its entirety. : (

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
No exaggeration, this thread is the biggest and best collection of info on the entire internet about how to play ROB at a high level, period.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
yeah i play rob and i was wondering what would be a good 2ndary character to play as?????
I actually mained ROB for a while and I came up with the conclusion that Snake and G&W are his best secondaries (depending on your preference)

I picked Snake because, between ROB, Snake, and G&W (which I played all three, but I wanted to decide a second one on which to focus more), I was most comfortable fighting Meta Knight as Snake.

For me, though, I realized I was just better with Snake than ROB.

Anyway, the only problems in this is that this leaves the ROB fight to a ditto, since Snake vs ROB is not very good. G&W would cover the ROB fight better. But same with G&W, you would have to ditto it.

Then with ROB / Snake you have DDD as a problem, neither is a good character to use against him.

So my all conclusive conclusion that concluded my thougts was, to have yourself covered as ROB, learn:

Snake / G&W

or

Meta Knight.

Thank you, that is all.

KHSigma

Smash Rookie
Thinking of using R.O.B

I am a Wario main. I think I might switch because of my friend using Wario and another using Snake. If you can give me your opinion or advice, thanks.

Top Bottom