• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

EdgetheDeathless

Smash Rookie
i see a lot of ROBs hop foreword and charge gyro while maintaining the momentum, but whenever i try this, my momentum slows, is this some AT or specific timing that i'm missing?

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
i think you're DI'ing backwards after you start charging the gyro.

try shorthopping, just hit downB, then hold the control stick forwards no excuses here on my part, i was being stupid.

Sudai

Stuff here
You can't effect your horizontal momentum while charging a gyro. Whatever your momentum at the beginning of the charge time is will be your constant horizontal momentum while charging the gyro.

Eldin is banned for permanent walk-offs, enables extreme use of runaway stall tactics, and is generally just a poorly designed stage.

There's a sticky in the Brawl Tactical Discussion forum containing all the advanced tactics as well as some stickies that contain must-read threads. Go look through those and your understanding of Smash DI (and a lot of other stuff) will be far greater than what you could learn by asking here.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Mindgames.

BTW guys, I'm out of service brawl-wise because my Wii's laser sensor thing pooped out on me from Brawl being too win. I'll be back to brawling in two weeks probably. I'll still post though.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Are there any other uses for Robocopter than reflecting "obvious" projectiles?
Basically only useful for Heli-jumping. For an example of some aplications for it, watch The 2nd Match Here as I used it a few times.

In the vid:
1. I'll sometimes start a match with it to approach characters like Falco or ROB who tend to shoot at you immediately.
2. When I was coming back from almost getting spiked, I went under the stage and heli-jumped to the opposite side. This gives a safer recovery since you avoid the chance of a second spike or other aerial while you're low on gas.
3. There was a point in the match I used it to get over him quickly to avoid his b-air, then came down on him with n-air.

Not in the vid:
4. It didn't come up in this match, but I usually save my jump while recovering. This way if I run out of gas, I can heli-jump & B-air to get back.
5. Another option is to use it to recover from high up when you see someone's going to try to gimp you when you go low.
6. It's useful to get yourself into position for edgegaurds as well. Mostly against Snakes since they tend to go for higher recovering.
7. After making a kill, I like to run and do it off the ledge (you can do it from the ground before running off, as well as from your double jump) This almost always lets you get a mostly/fully charged gyro without using much fuel, while also avoiding the opponent's invincibility time from spawning.
8. In teams, it's an easy way to safely save teammates from falling to their doom when out of recovery options.
9. You can use it as a ledge hop option, though it's not a good one aside from things like getting to smashville's moving platform to recharge fuel when you've made it to the ledge but your almost out. However, it could get you a surprise reflector for you if say a Lucario shoots a blast while you're hanging.
10. Last thing I can think of for now, getting around certain stage transformations. For example, retreating over the huge wall of PS1. If you are at the top of the screen, you can avoid Norfair's wall of lava and your opponent. Using it on PS2's air transformation will send you like twice as far. Do it once from ground, then again on the double jump, and you're off the screen. Doing a d-air will keep you up there for as long as the air is running.

Of course it's a highly situational move, but it's not as useless as most people assume. I'm surprised so few ROBs ever use it.

Glusent

Smash Journeyman
When is a good time to dtilt? Every time i see a dtilt opportunity, I just jab or ftilt, but I see pro robs use it all the time

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Whenever you can get a jab in, go for a dtilt. It lets you do so much more than a regular tilt. Of course, I still throw jabs in because it's a nice, fast GTFO move.

Glusent

Smash Journeyman
thanks a lot :). I guess ill implement the dtilt where i would normally jab and see what works best.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
They're the same speed but a Jab will still come out faster than DTilt from a standing position since crouching itself takes extra time to do.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Hi R.O.B. boards
Just picked up R.O.B. yesterday...he's a great character:)
The optic laser is epic
My question is what are his worst matchups?

Sudai

Stuff here
Read the thread. It's discussed many times and you will have tons of other questions answered.

Even going back just a few pages would answer that question, though.

buenob

Smash Lord
it comes down to style of play, if you are an aggro rob, you'll find the "hardest matchups" different than if you're an overly campy rob... I can't say for certain which style is better, neither would be sirlins "one true style" lol

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
yea. I dont get why ppl think ROB vs MK is impossible. Stop tryin to camp a fast character. It fails. Learn to fight the bytch lol

'Lets Camp Sonic'
L
M
A
O

Really though. GW is harder. Its kinda like MK but not really. GW is annoying cause his aerials eats the gyro but i figured out just ftilt and fsmashing stops all his approaches.....especially fsmash. Just walk away fmash. IT STOPS EVERYTHING HE DOES ROFLMAOXD

Teh Future

Smash Master
it comes down to style of play, if you are an aggro rob, you'll find the "hardest matchups" different than if you're an overly campy rob... I can't say for certain which style is better, neither would be sirlins "one true style" lol
This is why people think ROB vs Mario is in marios favor, cause people are dumb and all they do is camp.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Marios recovery is sooo bad though and its really not hard to keep Mario from getting inside with your walls of fairs and tilts.

At least in my experience. But I think Boss is most likely better than any Mario that Ive faced so idk.

edit: regardless of the matchup my point was that everyone camps and its dumb. Ninjalink your ROB isnt campy so you're exempt from my criticism.

but ROBs still a dumb character lol

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
After playing Boss a bunch of times in tourney recently I think it's even.

And I've never really had trouble with G&W. I dunno where the theory that he ***** ROB came from tbh. Slightly in his favor maybe but it's not ****.

MK is still *ugh*, even when I don't try to camp him.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Learn from the Great Ninja of Wisdom lol. ROB vs MK is simple in strat. Just need patience......which y'all should have since some of u camp. Keep in mind Rob has more range than MK. He wants to spam Dsmash? Sure go ahead. I'll just Black Man punch you while ur doin that. He fairs? Ftilt. Space with ftilt, dtilt and fsmash. Leave the gyro as a trap and GT it as an approach. Laser at unexpected times if necessary. I usually save it to kill him off stage when hes gliding. dsmash to punish his lag on shield (after tornado mostly). Same with jabs. Didnt u see me beat Lucky with MK Jcaesar?

lil cj

Smash Lord
Im still new with ROB so quote me if Im wrong lol
Maybe G&W is a tough match up for ROB b/c he can bucket his laser, which is one of his vital moves and all his aerials have more priority than ROB's

As for MK all he has on ROB is speed and I believe ROB's dsmash is just as fast if not faster than MK's dsmash??

Does ROB do good against Marth?

Edit: And Ive noticed there are a few Lucas mains here that dont post in the Lucas boards
We need all the help we can get lol

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Nope.

ROB + Character who strives on spacing attacks = :(

Basically, either get up in his face, or super camp. I recommend the first, you're faster.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Well i havent lost to a marth in tourney with ROB since like....Oct i guess.

Yes Robs dsmash is 4 frames. Mks is 5. But his has longer range. Doesnt matter who is faster though really. Dont spam it like an idiot.

Sudai

Stuff here
ROB shouldn't have issues with Marth. Only place Marth has a glaring advantage is when he's between ROB and the stage, and even that's not too bad if you know how to deal with it.

ROB basically has trouble with characters that have a good mid-range game and are good at weaving in and out of his tilt range. Aside from that, we either win or it's pretty even.

buenob

Smash Lord
so i've recently confirmed my suspicions that for every action any character in brawl has, ROB has a definitive counter... be it aggressive play, or retreating lasers, there's always a "way out" of a situation which leaves rob on top...

because of this, I truly believe that rob is the defensive equivalent of MK and I am hoping that my tourney placings over the next year will mirror this... mostly, I think rob mains == mk mains in terms of dominance, weather or not they use secondary characters to achieve victory in the few matchups that are clearly not in robs favour, or are at least more in favour of another char. than rob...

in essence... unless a character has a hard counter, (ie fox vs. ZSS) , I believe playing as ROB will be just as favourable as playing MK in said matchup, if not more due to the reactionary nature of brawl...

if i'm wrong, then I'll have to swtich mains to zss, snake, mk, falco or D3... I'll be spending at least the next year trying this out :)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Learn from the Great Ninja of Wisdom lol. ROB vs MK is simple in strat. Just need patience......which y'all should have since some of u camp. Keep in mind Rob has more range than MK. He wants to spam Dsmash? Sure go ahead. I'll just Black Man punch you while ur doin that. He fairs? Ftilt. Space with ftilt, dtilt and fsmash. Leave the gyro as a trap and GT it as an approach. Laser at unexpected times if necessary. I usually save it to kill him off stage when hes gliding. dsmash to punish his lag on shield (after tornado mostly). Same with jabs. Didnt u see me beat Lucky with MK Jcaesar?
I do all that stuff for the most part, but it doesn't seem to matter. What do you do if they're spacing ftilts? If you try to ftilt or dtilt and clash, they win. What if they're edgeguarding with dair? It beats ROB's uair, so maybe try to recover high, but that makes you vulnerable to his up-B. What if your shield is low and he starts spamming tornado? I know you can beat it with fsmash and nair but it's really hard to time. The only thing I don't have a problem with is when they hop around dairing at you, but they just have so many incredibly difficult to punish tactics at their disposal. And if they up-B you and you screw up your DI at all you can end up dying ridiculously low. Not to mention it's very difficult and risky to edgeguard them. Nothing beats their side-B and their up-B can stagespike you easily. It's just a frustrating matchup.

I played Lukky right before you did and got pretty close. He just sucks at the matchup. He doesn't play gay enough.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I started out maining Lucas, I just keep the little icon there in respect. I main ROB through and through these days.

lil cj

Smash Lord
lol I don't main lucas.... grab release is nonsense.
I started out maining Lucas, I just keep the little icon there in respect. I main ROB through and through these days.
Not Lucas mains:(
Your always welcome to come to the Lucas boards if you change your mind:)
R.O.B. is a great secondary for Lucas btw...he covers all of his bad matchups except for G&W
I had no idea he was that good til I started using him the other day...he should be in A tier above Falco
R.O.B. barely has any flaws except for his KO ability...other than that he's almost perfect (like MK)
And he isnt hard to pick up either:)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
ROB should be in F or G tier so I can use him in low-tier tournies and so that people will assume he's bad and never learn how to play against him =)

Then again... I've been picking up mario anyway (on top of snake and G&W). Does that make me a bad person? lol

Top Bottom