• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Yttuty

Smash Apprentice
i accidentally you out a lot :) ... (helped)

no there's no single vid, but i mean glide-tossing and then a vid with his up-b is really all there is to specifically watch... other than that, watch good matches and learn how to space
kk thx (:

I dont need help using rob,I don't use it that much, the one who needs is a friend, I'm a marth player ;o

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
its just b reversing the gyro charge
Umm, no. That's one thing you can do with it, but the main thing I'm talking about (since he was asking for ATs and this is one) is that you can cancel the gyro without airdodging so you don't have any lag.

*Quick ROB Boards History Lesson*

This video from last June was the first we saw of it, on the ROB boards at least, and it is the reason that the players who frequent these boards know what gyrocanceling is. If you discovered it on your own independently, great, but toasty discovered it on his own and brought it to the masses on the ROB boards last June.

GIMR actually showed it to me about a month ago, thinking he had discovered some revolutionary new technique, but I let him know that we've known about it since last spring. It doesn't get used that much because it's not super useful.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Because I don't main ROB.

Also, spamming gyro cancel is useful as hell. I spam it all day and people never approach anymore because they're like "OMG HE HAS A GYRO" and then I get to land. It's pretty boss. Thanks Toasty!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

Also, spamming gyro cancel is useful as hell. I spam it all day and people never approach anymore because they're like "OMG HE HAS A GYRO" and then I get to land. It's pretty boss. Thanks Toasty!
People don't approach you because you're Overswarm :p

noodles

Smash Champion
its an unfair advantage. kinda like how pc's fox can dash dance in peoples faces without getting punished

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <

LMFAO. No problem. I'm really glad someone has found success with it. I haven't given serious effort to ROB or even Brawl in a while so I can't say the same for myself...buuuut trust that I'll be warmed up for it all by Genesis! All the top ROBs of Summer 2008 [you all remember that odd understood brotherhood we had...it was good times. so much activity!!!] gotta be thereeee =D

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
How are you guys not bored of ROB yet?
I recently discovered the magical world of texture hacks, so Im not gonna be bored for a looong time.

So awesome, the texture hacks are actually making me pick up some new characters as well. Pajama Toon Link is tooo beast.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Any strategies overcoming G&W's Uair juggle?
Air dodges while moving off the stage. Dont make your air dodges predictable. Let him up-air you once or twice in between air dodges. Never air dodge as your landing, you will get punished ^__^ Safest thing to do is get to the ledge imo tbh imo

buenob

Smash Lord
oh, try to fair when he up-b's if you are trying to land a kill move that's not fair on him... GnW's up-b counts as "hitting" you and refreshes his moves, but if you "hit" them back it counts so you can refresh your nair/bair by using fair at the right time (and right spacing unfortunately, I don't know the exact hitboxes) to replenish :)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
It's the picture you get sent to the vault when you connect to Wifi (yes, wifi lol), along with a replay and a custom stage. This one's a picture of the purple (female) ROB posing seductively at me and I'm horrified yet attracted to it at the same time. The only problem is, I don't know how the picture was taken since the body is bent and the arms are like 180 degrees apart, almost like a statue of liberty. The base is completeley on the ground, so it's not a frame from the sidestep and there's no sign of anything like collisions or other characters

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I haven't seen the picture in question, since I turned the service off a while ago (and hardly play on Wi-Fi these days anyway), but the position you're describing could be the start of a UAir near the ground.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I have that exact same picture. I took it in like June. It's just ROB using an assist trophy. I demand a payment from whoever got that feature. I've sent in that one like five times already.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Hey everybody... lol I bet none of you know who I am but I have something to say... I don't know is this has been discovered before, but I think this is worth mentioning. I was R.O.B.ing on a custom stage, against a CPU (yes, I know ,you read correctly.) and comboed some move to my U-air. I did it multiple times just for the cheering effect lol, and realized that the CPU was still trapped. So, i kept doing it, and when I got to 138% and hit a solid surface above me, the CPU regained control.

Does R.O.B. have a U-air juggle? Or was this just bad CPU DI?

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Well I was wandering through the other character's boards and I looked at the Yoshi Rankings thread....I like their system a little better than ours since its point based. Through that I feel that we can encourage others to attend more events if possible, and get those not on the list a goal to get higher like we do with the index and current rankings. Just an idea...lol

Sudai

Stuff here
Hey everybody... lol I bet none of you know who I am but I have something to say... I don't know is this has been discovered before, but I think this is worth mentioning. I was R.O.B.ing on a custom stage, against a CPU (yes, I know ,you read correctly.) and comboed some move to my U-air. I did it multiple times just for the cheering effect lol, and realized that the CPU was still trapped. So, i kept doing it, and when I got to 138% and hit a solid surface above me, the CPU regained control.

Does R.O.B. have a U-air juggle? Or was this just bad CPU DI?
Bad CPU DI.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well I was wandering through the other character's boards and I looked at the Yoshi Rankings thread....I like their system a little better than ours since its point based. Through that I feel that we can encourage others to attend more events if possible, and get those not on the list a goal to get higher like we do with the index and current rankings. Just an idea...lol
Their method is OK, but it has some problems. It doesn't take level of competition into account first of all. It also places a lot of emphasis on tourney attendance, which is certainly important, but it doesn't directly determine skill. Someone who goes to 2 tourneys a week and gets 9th every time should not be placed above someone who goes to a similar tourney once every two months and always gets 1st.

But then again it's more objective and there would probably be less complaining. Meh, I don't care that much. Once someone takes over that thread for me they can do it however they like.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I agree Jcz lol its all up to the boards how they want to do it since they're the ones getting ranked lol I'm fine with either system so idc :p

OneGreyWolf

Smash Apprentice
Right, so I need some help real quick...

I have a friend teaching me here how to play, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing better. What I can't seem to understand though is half the terms he uses, but that's not really my main concern atm.

What I'm more concerned about is R.O.B.'s Gyromite and when a time would be appropriate to use it...

I don't think I should worry myself over charging it up fully unless I have time and such.

I do think that I'm just supposed to charge it for, like, a second, and shoot it at my opponent when they're pretty close up.

Am I right in thinking this?

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
hmm, dont worry about charging it all the way. you prolly may want to do that if you decide to go for a kill that way.

charge it for however long you want, sometimes you can fool your opponent into shielding for a while and then releasing the gyro after some time, catching them when they stop shielding.

i love the gyro and mine is always out, so i dont really charge it that much.

the better applications would be if you learned to glide toss, and you learned to pivot your momentum with it. (which you can find throughout these boards)

also, since your starting out, you can charge gyro and save it by shielding.

hope it helps (search through the threads for more information, check the stickies)

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
search them or check the guide to everything thread.

As for learning how to play, just remember this:

1. Mindgames: doing quick unexpected things because they are unexpected.
2. Grab more. If your grabbing more, still, grab more.
3. Use all your moves (sept for side B)

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Does anyone know how the Gyro shifts Rob's momentum while airborne? I've done this a few times but idk how i do it. This can be helpful to avoid myself from being juggled so much.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how the Gyro shifts Rob's momentum while airborne? I've done this a few times but idk how i do it. This can be helpful to avoid myself from being juggled so much.
waaaat?

You mean you're just learning about B reversals?

You just hit Down B then the opposite direction. It depends on the speed you do it at though, that's why you might be doing just the turn.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
waaaat?

You mean you're just learning about B reversals?

You just hit Down B then the opposite direction. It depends on the speed you do it at though, that's why you might be doing just the turn.
I thought B-reversal is just the turn. Isn't it called wavebouncing when you change your momentum?

Top Bottom