• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
search them or check the guide to everything thread.

As for learning how to play, just remember this:

1. Mindgames: doing quick unexpected things because they are unexpected.
2. Grab more. If your grabbing more, still, grab more.
3. Use all your moves (sept for side B)
Don't throw out moves. By throwing moves out, you reduce your chance of success using such mindgames. Ask Stingers or Bo X7 (People in the ROB boards I played recently); I use Side B and I use it well. It's not a trash move.

buenob

Smash Lord
side-b is for when the opponent is either in your head or starting to adapt to your playstyle, great move to just throw them off, but in general, there's usually better options... side-b == epic mindgames

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Don't throw out moves. By throwing moves out, you reduce your chance of success using such mindgames. Ask Stingers or Bo X7 (People in the ROB boards I played recently); I use Side B and I use it well. It's not a trash move.
No...side b IS is a trash move.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I have found a situation for every move besides that. While Side B may be successful sometimes, theres no way to tell when that time will be. Doing it randomly is the only way it does work (as you mentioned before) but if you throw it out it randomly, you could be doing something else.

Confusing and probably useless point is confusing and probably useless.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Side B can be unexpected but it's so trash that an opponent who keeps their composure will just shield-grab you through it anyway. The only thing it's actually useful for is reflecting Lucario's oh-so-predictable Aura Spheres...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
footstool to dair to u-smash is an actual combo, depending on the character. Generally you get the dair off anyway, since they don't expect it.

Sudai

Stuff here
I mean, that wasn't an accomplishment at all. lol

I'm more proud of the 30+ hours of Brawl+ I played. That **** game is so fun I actually forfeit a match for it. XD

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
GOOD ****

I'm so proud of you Sudai *tear*

BTW, for any ROB players potentially going to Apex, lightxdream has asked me to run a Brawl+ tourney there Saturday night. I hope to see you all there.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Dude I don't think vanilla Brawl is in any danger of dying, especially wifi.

Just play whichever one is more fun to you.

Edit: Hmm maybe I misread that. Are you upset that people are leaving vBrawl for Brawl+, or do you want Brawl+ to become the dominant game so you have people to play it with?

Sudai

Stuff here
He's upset about people leaving for B+.

NTD, you can play B+ over WiFi, both people just need the same codeset active, which shouldn't be an issue since B+ has an official version and all.

The only issue I've found with B+ so far is that the hitstun seems to be just a little too high. You have all **** day to combo instead of it being the 5-20 frame window to combo someone that makes a combo system *mwah* wonderful.

I'm lucky though. Half of the Louisiana vB scene already switched to B+ so it's too easy to get a tourney going. lol

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Sudai, no you can't. Not safely at least. Nintendo started banning hackers, check it out in the online discussion forum.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yes. All wii menu 4 does is prevent you from using hacked games. Nintendo is monitering what goes on it's games now and is banning hackers.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I'm lucky though. Half of the Louisiana vB scene already switched to B+ so it's too easy to get a tourney going. lol
JC this is what I'm talking about. I prefer B+ to Bv but I'm afraid if I go to one side I'll miss the other. It's kinda hard to explain to people who don't play wifi >_>

If it's everyones not 100% B+ then I don't think it's worth it is all.

^^^ G&W that's true, but if you don't have V4 you can still get blocked using with anyone matches. But that also means, if I downloaded the hacks, wouldn't be able to play ANY game in a with anyone FFA. I'm not sure about it but it would make sense that if you have the hacks on your Wii, FFA with the Conduit online goes bye bye.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Basically. But if you're lucky and don't get caught...well all the more power to you. But it's not worth getting IP banned from Nintendo. Then again, I hear it's very easy to reset your IP.

Sudai

Stuff here
Resetting your IP is super easy, but I won't go into that as I'm sure it's probably against the rules for a mod to tell people how to bypass IP bans since we use them here. :p

NTD, you don't have to choose though. That's the beauty. I never chose between 64 and Melee. Never chose between Brawl and Melee. I did choose between Brawl+ and Brawl, but that's a personal thing. Just because you have homebrew installed and you play Brawl+ offline with friends and at tournies doesn't mean you can't boot up regular Brawl and play that online, or even offline.

I understand your plight, though, so I'm just trying to offer a solution. Oh, and at the very least try it out. ; )

jjvirus

Smash Champion
What if you use the Wifi USB connector....? Does that already have a pre-set address on it? Cuz thats all I have. My router can't work with wifi (it gets me on, and logs me right off)

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
To be honest, if you're good at smash and you put in a reasonable number of hours, you can be good at both. The top players (not just good ones, I mean like M2K, Azen, Ally), obviously don't like Brawl+ because it puts a good number of hours that they spent learning certain things in Brawl to waste (and they've said as much). That being said, I'm pretty sure that if those three spent just as much time playing Brawl+ as they did regular Brawl, they'd still be better than everyone else. Whether you call it adapting or just being good "at Smash," my guess is there would still be a point when M2k would dominate Brawl+. You would eventually have to come out with Brawl++ the same way, not getting rid of the original, just splitting the community again by having some people play each/both. How's that for a strong community? Want controlled combos/tech skill? Go play Melee instead of Brawl+. If you don't want to do that because you're so far behind, consider the above example, that you're not even playing the best people...and WOW, I now realize how far off I went there. /answer-tirade-thing

I think at this point we have to accept that Brawl+ is here to stay. That being said, I don't think it will ever come close to Brawl's popularity. That's a whole different discussion involving smashboards, mlg, and a bunch of other things we've all probably thought about by now.

So I really need to stop posting things like this past midnight. I blame Wifi.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah ROB's utilt is a little disappointing now, but at least I convinced Shanus to remove the dsmash nerf.

It's easy to play both. Just use different characters. Or push your local smash community toward Brawl+. It's really easy since most smashers, especially the ones who loved Melee, will end up preferring Brawl+ once they actually try it.

Sudai

Stuff here
I mean...just can't chain UTilts together. Can still do stuff like UTilt > SH FAir > Falling UAir > Cancel into another UTilt > UAir > UAir strings.

Sudai

Stuff here
I haven't tried it but I know for a fact that this much is garunteed: UTilt > SH FAir > Falling UAir > Cancel into UTilt. The following UAir probably isn't too far of a stretch. The only part I'm really iffy about is the last UAir. And if it doesn't work, you can probably substitute the last two UAirs with FH FAir and follow into other stuff.

Just try stuff out. This is Brawl+. There's combos galore. lol.

Top Bottom