• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Mith_

Smash Champion
Should probably read the whole thread if you really want awesomeness. ; )
I wish I could :( But I cannot read 155 pages in 1 hour!

So I'm assuming this is the Q&A thread. Good.

I picked R.O.B back up after losing with him in a tourney a few months ago. Decided to get better with him instead of just giving him up.

One problem I have is landing a kill move. My opponents usually last until 160% and its really annoying lol, even lightweight characters. I can never seem to land a killing blow. (I don't use Fsmash unless I am trying to kill so its never stale.) Any tips you could give me please?

Gimping never seems to work for some reason I always end up gettign edgeguarded after I try to gimp >.> I'm still working on that I promise.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
I wish I could :( But I cannot read 155 pages in 1 hour!

So I'm assuming this is the Q&A thread. Good.

I picked R.O.B back up after losing with him in a tourney a few months ago. Decided to get better with him instead of just giving him up.

One problem I have is landing a kill move. My opponents usually last until 160% and its really annoying lol, even lightweight characters. I can never seem to land a killing blow. (I don't use Fsmash unless I am trying to kill so its never stale.) Any tips you could give me please?

Gimping never seems to work for some reason I always end up gettign edgeguarded after I try to gimp >.> I'm still working on that I promise.
How the hell does rob get edge guarded against ? BLASPHEMY !!

How do you deal with a cooked grenade spamming Snake?
He is from NJ thus meaning he is a troll .

R.O.B.O.T.

Smash Cadet
How the hell does rob get edge guarded against ? BLASPHEMY !!

He is from NJ thus meaning he is a troll .
Funny, anyway when I say cooked, I mean he drops it picks it up and throws it. Once he drops it he shields and blcks the laser, then picks it up and throws it. It is a pain because the grenades stop in like midair when they are about to explode.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Really? G&W can't do all that much to edgeguard other than dtilt on the edge which isn't that hard to get around. DDD gives ROB a lot of trouble, with his bairs that outprioritize everything and last forever combined with multiple jumps.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Really? G&W can't do all that much to edgeguard other than dtilt on the edge which isn't that hard to get around. DDD gives ROB a lot of trouble, with his bairs that outprioritize everything and last forever combined with multiple jumps.
I've always felt that DeDeDe was too slow. Neh.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Also, Game and Watch has a myriad of quick, high-priority moves off-stage that don't put him in any danger of coming back. And Game and Watch himself is quite difficult to edge-guard against since he can approach from strange angles from below and before/right as R.O.B. attempts to gimp him.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
totally off the current topic... but, does anyone else have trouble with doing the reverse robo-burner? Not the one where you (for example) are going right... use the reverse and move left while facing left; but instead the one where you are going right, then use the reverse and move left while facing right. The former is easy as pie, but- the latter is considerably harder for me.

As a side note, I have my C-stick mapped to SMASHES and NOT Specials, so any help should be given with that control scheme in mind.

'prec.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I faced a guy named huggs at a tourney.

MK can (pretty easily) edgeguard Rob using dairs, backhit nairs, and bairs (fair is a bad choice...) or you can just mindgame a reverse shuttle loop for the kill...

It's tough, especially that blasted uair and nair, but it is possible if you play it safe.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
yay for ch0zen!

oh and dull razor, moving backwards while facing forwards, limits your horizontal mobility. (if thats what your saying)
No, I knew that... but, at the same time I see tons of places where I could implement it in my game... and it only comes out as the move x direction, and face x direction- where the obverse is what I had set my opponent up for. The lack of mobility is irrelevant to me for the most part, whereas getting a quicker boost of momentum, the surprise of the robo-burner, coupled with a b-air edguard is appealing.

And that was what my question was: what is the difference in inputs between getting THAT version (face right while moving left) instead of facing the way you are going?

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
well from what i can tell its a matter of how far left/right youre holding.

i see that you get more of a momentum boost, lets say, you move right, and do a quick upB to the left while facing to the left.

tilt your control stick slightly up and left/right, that should get you to reverse. i always mess up, cuz i tilt too much left/right than up, so i SD x_x.

reverse upB sounds really useful. i've been trying to ledge drop, reverse upB -> bair against edgeguarders (who dont move off teh stage).

well good luck with that stuff!

Levitas

the moon
lucas boards are discussing ROB atm, if you guys feel like coming over. I'd provide a link, but I'm lazy and stuff.

We're sitting at a 6:4ish right now, as ROB has a similar gameplan to lucas, but is better at pretty much everything they want to do.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
maybe he didn't want to make a new thread? every little thing doesn't deserve its own thread. and afaik, every **** rob worth a **** goes to this topic. so w/e :laugh:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you're too lazy to give us a link, I'm too lazy to find it.

Also, f-smash peaches that don't space their floats properly. You can angle the f-smash up and it is awesome.

lord karn

Smash Master
I just had a random idea. Maybe someone has already tried it. Has anyone tried wave-bouncing the up-b, turning with a gyrocancel, and then wave-bouncing again in the same direction as at first? It seems like it could be a really good way of moving around and tricking your opponent in the air. I would try it, but I don't know how to gyro-cancel. @_@

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I thought I tought you how to gyro cancel, boi! wtf! Also...yes...I've tried it, but only in friendlies...that ****'s bananas! It's better than the old school upB-bair->reverse upB-bair->etc.

One of my favorite recent-ish mindgames [happened originally on Battlefield against Azen's Lucario early Oct.] is after getting someone above the top platform when you're directly under it [via utilt or they're just there] jump toward one of the side plats, wavebounce gyro cancel double jump uair [or whatever]...if Azen didn't see it coming then you KNOW that **** will work! lmao

The one I'm currently trying to implement in my tournament play is: [to edgeguard, but the opponent is recovering highish off the side, or trying go above you anyway]
RAR-upB, fair [and press up or b to get the extra boost], double jump bair!

you get the crazy awesome horizontal boost of RAR-upB and then the immediate vertical boost of double jump!

too good.

EDIT: regarding gyro canceling.
press shield the instant the gyro appears when you're about to charge it.
doesn't work with a fully charged gyro.
can be wavebounced [ohsosexi]

And yeah you would just RAR-upB --fair--wavebounce gyro cancel

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
his spacing is beyond godly. wasn't bad though :) probably a 1stock...don't recall being ***** [and he used DDD the first match and two of my stocks had me dying at 80(!!!!!!!!!!!) because I'd be ******** on Smashville and I'd try and drop through the platform and immediately shoot a gyro...except if you do it too quickly, it platform cancels, and then you're just sitting there charging the gyro and still on the platform like a dumba.ss and then here comes DDD with a fair [meaning: if I didn't charge the gyro as soon as I dropped through, I woulda been safe, but no...it popped me right back onto the platform ;___;]...and it happened twice!! stupid nerves :(

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
ooh thats pretty good. ROB's platform drops are the worse. I hate how when that happens, you drop, and downB too fast, you just end up back on stage. never again shall i do that against a DAC happy snake.

azen as DDD, i think that would be ROB's worse nightmare (or M2K but im not too much a fan of him, so screw him)

lord karn

Smash Master
I forgot that my idea wouldn't work because you can't cancel your upb with a gyro. Silly me. But perhaps you could gyro-cancel wavebounce -> turn around gyro-cancel -> gyro-cancel wavebounce again. I don't know if that would be fast enough to be useful.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
**** yeah metaknight :)
i think it's time to stop johning and pick up diddy if you really cant win with your rob.

Top Bottom