• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm all about the Wario, Olimar, and Lucario. And lately I've been picking up Zelda, she's a beast on teams.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I'm all about the Ganondorf. But then again, I don't seem to be winning that much, so don't look at me.

STOP TOUCHING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Rugaji4

Smash Rookie
Overswarm, I don't know if I didn't search through some of the pages but I'd like to know something about R.O.B

I main R.O.B, Diddy Kong, and Bowser..

Will you please tell me how to actually do a reverse gyro ball successfully in mid-air please. I've been trying this for the past week and haven't done it once. Please help! @_@

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I need help finding an Alt thats similar to ROB. I have tried just about everyone on the roster and can't find one than Im confortable with and enjoy playing. The only reason I can guess why this is, is because Im so used to using ROB and so used to his playstyle. So is there anyone else on the roster thats similar to ROB's gameplay? If not, how do I select an alt? I need one badly and don't know where to go. Help pl0x :(
have you tried zelda they have some similarity's

jjvirus

Smash Champion
No I have not tried Zelda, but Zeldas all seem to have the same strategy and are REALLY predictable =/ I guess Trying her wouldn't hurt...but I can't promise anything.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Yeah, I've had the same problem as jj. I can play several other characters pretty decently, but I can't play anyone besides ROB well enough that I'd consider using them in a tourney. I might try Peach. How does she fit in compared to ROB's matchups?

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Question!

I have a decent amount of trouble trying to approach a Wolf, who has the standard LaserSpam until I do something wreckless. It's not that I don't know what he's going to do next. I just have a hard time getting to him, unexpectedly. (I don't know know much execution of some ATs because I don't own a Wii, and everything I do is from Melee experience. I do play it every so often at my friends, and or the Play n Trade store).

My strange attempts at approching him.
1. Using the gyro as a shield.
2. Try to shield through it all, while moving forward.
3. Hopping over the lasers and use a Fair.
4. Laser him.

His responces.
1. Keep on firing.
2. Fsmash
3. Vareity of things can happen. Usually keeping me in the air. For a long time.
4. He is somewhat really good at perdicting the laser. and or. I am too perdictable.

Like I said before, I don't exactly make the best choices.

I also have an issue trying to counteract anything directly below ROB. So I just get setup into a juggling routine.

Thanks in advance for reading!

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Question!

I have a decent amount of trouble trying to approach a Wolf, who has the standard LaserSpam until I do something wreckless. It's not that I don't know what he's going to do next. I just have a hard time getting to him, unexpectedly. (I don't know know much execution of some ATs because I don't own a Wii, and everything I do is from Melee experience. I do play it every so often at my friends, and or the Play n Trade store).

My strange attempts at approching him.
1. Using the gyro as a shield.
2. Try to shield through it all, while moving forward.
3. Hopping over the lasers and use a Fair.
4. Laser him.

His responces.
1. Keep on firing.
2. Fsmash
3. Vareity of things can happen. Usually keeping me in the air. For a long time.
4. He is somewhat really good at perdicting the laser. and or. I am too perdictable.

Like I said before, I don't exactly make the best choices.

I also have an issue trying to counteract anything directly below ROB. So I just get setup into a juggling routine.

Thanks in advance for reading!
First off, you should be able to outcamp Wolf, but if you still find it a problem, then here.

1. If you KNOW it's not going to work, forget it and on to another option.
2. Predict the Fsmash or just Ftilt him before he can get close.
3. No. You can stop the lasers in midair if you hit them with fair, you take no damage. Do that instead.
4. don't be predictable.

Also glide tossing while holding the shield afterwards gets you some distance while on defense. Just learn to shield sharply, and cancel projectiles with your Fair. Your F tilt has range, if you can use it, use it.

emergency

Smash Journeyman
Man, I'm not quite sure what to ask, is there anything you can do to fight off MK?
Man, I'm not quite sure what to ask, is there anything you can do to fight off MK?

Sudai

Stuff here
Overswarm, I know you're subscribed to this thread, so you should read this and then go sticky the match-up discussion database. Unless your mod powers really do stop at the SBR, in which case that sucks and I'll talk to someone else and then you should complain that the ROB boards don't have a mod and that they should make one of the current ROBs a mod of the ROB board since we're pretty active or something.

Ruse

Fox
Yeah, I've had the same problem as jj. I can play several other characters pretty decently, but I can't play anyone besides ROB well enough that I'd consider using them in a tourney. I might try Peach. How does she fit in compared to ROB's matchups?
I use G&W, who definitely covers Falco, himself, & DDD pretty well, and also probably fairs well against Peach and Mario (who I personally don't think you have to worry about too much with ROB, but just in case...). I also feel like he does better against MK, but not by too much.

I've been working on my MK lately, actually. He covers all of the match-ups ROB can't, haha. Currently thinking about alting him ):.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
MK covers every matchup. I think the only matchup where ROB actually does better than MK is against Snake.

Sudai, at the bottom of the ROB boards you can see a list of who has mod powers here. OS isn't on that list :ohwell:

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, I've just been too lazy to PM a mod. I'm just gonna hit up Hylian's AIM when he gets on tonight. Hah.

Gonna ask him to desticky that really old guide too.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
overswarm, I Know You're Subscribed To This Thread, So You Should Read This And Then Go Sticky The Match-up Discussion Database. Unless Your Mod Powers Really Do Stop At The Sbr, In Which Case That Sucks And I'll Talk To Someone Else And Then You Should Complain That The Rob Boards Don't Have A Mod And That They Should Make One Of The Current Robs A Mod Of The Rob Board Since We're Pretty Active Or Something.
This ^

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Sudai should totally be a mod. That way, he can crush noobs' souls and be a mod at the same time...some kind of soul-crushing mod-bot. Yeah.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210097

Maybe you guys already knew about this and I'm just slow because I rarely check the tactical discussion anymore, but this seems big for a lot of characters.

So my question is, how can this help ROB? I hardly ever pivot grab with ROB (in fact I only ever use pivot grabs when I play Olimar), so I don't know the details. Is a pivot grab faster/longer range/etc. than ROB's standing grab? If so than this is really worth looking into, especially for situations like when someone lands behind your shield.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196207
^ Someone already did extensive testing on grabs (including frame data), here's the ROB-related info:
(blocks being the unit of measurement of one block in custom stage building, frame being 1/60th of a second)

Standing Grab:
15 frames
0.5 blocks

Dash Grab:
20 frames
0.8 blocks

Pivot Grab:
18 frames
0.7 blocks

So it's not faster than a standing grab, but it does have more range.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Is a pivot grab faster/longer range/etc. than ROB's standing grab? If so than this is really worth looking into, especially for situations like when someone lands behind your shield.
Don't you need to be dashing to do a pivot grab? If so, then I don't think it would be terribly useful for people landing behind you, just because of the initial dash startup frames...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
CJ that's the whole point of the thread I posted. You DON'T need to dash to do a pivot grab with this technique, much the same way that you can do an instant dash attack with the c-stick.

Thanks for the info Wolydarg. I guess it's hardly worth the effort for ROB. But it'll improve my Olimar immensely :p

GameQ

Smash Cadet
I don't where else to post this, so here seems like a good general place.

I keep reading about a Grab-Release -> DTilt -> Grab combo for ROB. I have done it a few times in training mode, but I don't think I have ever landed the second grab against a human.

I just want to know the characters that it works on, the percentage range, and hopefully con a video or two out of somebody that shows it in action.

T-REX!

Smash Apprentice
I need help with my game in general. Anyone think they can play me online today and kinda help me out?

Sudai

Stuff here
I would if Online didn't suck so hard. If you somehow get to Dallas this weekend I'd gladly help you out, if not, I'll make sure to spend some time with you at Final Smash 5. : )

I'm staying at Nike20's that Friday and Saturday, so I dunno if you guys know each other, but if y'all do, you might can come over and I can help you out Friday night before the tourney?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
instant pivot grab is good stuff :)

it has a small, but effective, increase in range that will surprise people. Seriously though, if someone questions its usefulness, just ask them if they want a longer grab or shorter one. It's pretty simple that this is a good thing to know.

Now if only I could stop playing Melee this week so I could commit it to muscle memory >_> [but I gotta brush up so I can take out UltimmaSkowt's Captain Falcon with Zelda and his Marth with Ness on the 20th XD]

Also: JCz...you're working on Oli too? haha, I mained him in the first couple months along with Lucas but then dropped both for ROB, obviously, but I've been inspired to pick him up again [it'd be a lie if I said Atomsk's matches against Inui had nothing to do with that] and after watching some AndyG videos, wow does that guy already abuse this! craziness...

Sudai

Stuff here
I learned it for my GnW, it's nice. I actually spent 15 minutes today learning to jump canceled reverse USmashes out of a dash today and I don't know why. It's easy to do if you play with tap-jump but kinda weird with tap jump off (Dash > Hit back > X/Y > Up + Z since you can't use the up from the stick to jump cancel...it's silly).. I still don't know why I decided to commit that to muscle memory...but I did. Haha

Yeah, I just talked about that for no reason. Whut whut?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah toasty, I've actually been working on my Oli for a couple months. I haven't seen Atomsk's Oli though. It's actually from playing P~S's Oli and seeing how much of a ***** it is to fight that inspired me to learn him.

It's funny, my friend who just started (Red Bandit/PWubbs) is learning Zelda, and I'm finding myself using her a lot lately too. I can't help it.

Top Bottom