• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Famous: lmao @ your new location...it's that banana suit, son! Also...WTF are you doing on the ROB boards? Man, I haven't seen you use ROB in so long...did Boss woo you or something that first time he was down here?

Re: Sudai - if he's not being friendly, you'll know by the Marth-tipper-like vacuum-creating sound of your sould being crushed.

Famous

Smash Champion
I still use ROB for certain matchups...He does wonders against Marth...Though I rarely post in the ROB boards I lurk around to download any new info floating around.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's weird, but I can picture in my head you, me, and Sudai all living together someday. And the rest of the inner circle ROBs living next door.

A guy can dream...

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
It's weird, but I can picture in my head you, me, and Sudai all living together someday. And the rest of the inner circle ROBs living next door.

A guy can dream...
Like a sitcom?

I can be the naked guy in the building that is unusually pale despite not wearing clothes ever.

However, I'll need to prepare and get my skin bleached, as my brown pigment impedes me from reaching that goal. I want to glow in the dark.

Sudai

Stuff here
It wouldn't be too far fetched for all of us to live together some day. I hate Louisiana for the most part (love the food, but I can bring that with me. :]) and I'm planning to move to the upper EC or to the WC depending on where I get a job. Sooo, if I go to upper EC, we can all get an apartment or something together? :o

I only have two requirements if we do that...

1) I get middled at least once a week. (lol, I love that term, JCaes)
2) I get to have Blue ROB. <.<
2...again) Maxx gets to be the naked guy.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
1) I can guarantee copious middling ;)
2) I play Green ROB and toasty plays Homo ROB so we're good there
2...again) We definitely need more naked Mexicans

toasty and I are in middlish EC though, not upper. Come to MD/VA, we're the best region anyway :p

Sudai

Stuff here
That's where I meant by upper. XD

You forget, I'm from the South...the deep South. *cackle* (cookies for whoever gets it) so MD/VA is pretty far up there for me. XD

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
It wouldn't be too far fetched for all of us to live together some day. I hate Louisiana for the most part (love the food, but I can bring that with me. :]) and I'm planning to move to the upper EC or to the WC depending on where I get a job. Sooo, if I go to upper EC, we can all get an apartment or something together? :o

I only have two requirements if we do that...

1) I get middled at least once a week. (lol, I love that term, JCaes)
2) I get to have Blue ROB. <.<
2...again) Maxx gets to be the naked guy.
I'll be the naked guy under one condition: nobody laughs at my average sized phallus.

1) I can guarantee copious middling ;)
2) I play Green ROB and toasty plays Homo ROB so we're good there
2...again) We definitely need more naked Mexicans

toasty and I are in middlish EC though, not upper. Come to MD/VA, we're the best region anyway :p
Green ROB FTW! Military grade, son.

The world would not be right without nude Latinos.

You forget, I'm from the South...the deep South. *cackle* (cookies for whoever gets it) so MD/VA is pretty far up there for me. XD
"Deep" in the context of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina? (the water is deep)

Too soon? I hope not.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
MD is south of the Mason-Dixon line. I consider it part of the South, my county is very southern.

I'd rather be a hick from the South than some stuck-up Yankee douche. Like certain universally-hated NJ smashers.

infomon

Smash Scientist
His glide attack will eat any move so long as it's timed right. Not super armor, not invincibility, just ****ing ******** priority.
? MK's glide attack has weak priority, by many metrics. It's one of few aerial moves in the game that can clash against opponent hitboxes, nullifying its ability to cause damage against that opponent. (This exception exists since a glide attack isn't really an aerial, per se). Since the glide attack causes 12% (right?), any hitbox that causes 2 or more % should nullify the hitbox. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the glide-attack can't be interrupted in the sense that a clash can't cause MK to quickly put the glide-attack away, the way that normally two overlapping Link Fsmashes will cause both Links to near-instantly withdraw their swords.

That being said, the glide-attack hitbox is so darn large; I guess that's what you meant about "timing it right"; you have to make sure that the glide attack will overlap a hurtbox at least as soon as it comes into contact with any hitbox (worth 2 or more damage lol)... which isn't so hard since it's a big hitbox. *shrug*

But yeah, glide-attack is easily beaten by other disjointed attacks, especially most aerials since they don't clash. It just comes down to a spacing game.... and since the glide-attack comes out so fast it's usually in MK's favour :urg: but I can beat it with stuff like Sonic's Fsmash (angled up), and Fair.

I just wouldn't say that MK's glide attack has ******** priority, since all of MK's other slashy-looking attacks (jab, Ftilt, all his smashes) are categorically different from all other characters in that they do not clash against hitboxes (WTF); so the glide attack is weak in comparison. :urg:

/rant-of-nitpicky-details

Sudai

Stuff here
Glide attack is -impossible- to beat if MK times it right. It stops all hit boxes. -That- is ******** priority. If you have video evidence of MK timing the glide attack right but you beating it anyway, link me. It stops ROB's hugely disjointed FSmash and I'm fairly confident it does 14% or more. I could be wrong on that one though as I'm too lazy to go test it atm. Feel free to disprove either point.

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
my 2.5 cents: dont change your name.

but really it depends on how much weight your parents opinions have on you.
if my father named me after him then i wouldnt have the audacity to revise his decision

bloodline stuff? depends on how important it is to the family as a whole.

im not really looking into rebelling or showing signs of what could be rebelling, so i wouldnt change it.

but what you could do is maybe alter your first name or have a surname. better that than completely transforming your name as a whole.

Guillermo Vega

imo: Vega is fine. simple and sweet. you don't really need to change it

but if you're worried about your first name and how people mispronounce it you can always alter that.
for example: Guile? or maybe Gil?

i just wouldnt recommend you to change your unless you reaaaaaaally want to. I mean, my full name is Ramesis Wy Bustamante <----- now isnt that unorthodox? i have an Egyptian reminiscent like name, with a Chinese middle name + a Hispanic last name. you think you're name is in trouble? xD

but i ddnt change mine, its unique, and thats the way ill keep it as.

if you still want to, make it a slight change/addition of surname. and if you reaaaaaallly wanna just toss it out just like that, well, you're on your own on what name you could want xD thats your name so it should be your decision xD + i have no idea on what name you could want, so yeah xD

(im wondering if i should have even put my full name on an online site or if i should have posted this here <.<...hmm *shrug* its not like anyone is posting much here anyway...)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Glide attack is -impossible- to beat if MK times it right. It stops all hit boxes. -That- is ******** priority. If you have video evidence of MK timing the glide attack right but you beating it anyway, link me. It stops ROB's hugely disjointed FSmash and I'm fairly confident it does 14% or more. I could be wrong on that one though as I'm too lazy to go test it atm. Feel free to disprove either point.
OK, the real issue here is that ROB's Fsmash has unique properties; and thanks for bringing it to my attention. Its hitbox, which comes out and ends earlier than the pink flashy animation as far as I can tell, is an energy or laser-type hitbox that doesn't clash with some hitboxes; Snake's mortar, MK's glide attack, perhaps some other arbitrary hitboxes in the game. However, you can use ROB's Ftilt to clash with the glide attack, instead. Just overlap any amount of the Ftilt hitbox with the glide-attack hitbox, before the glide-attack can overlap your hurtbox.

Unfortunately, you're right that MK has time on his hands; he can delay the glide-attack so that it would hit you on the first frame it's out. However by that time, he might be in range for you to have actually hit him with your Ftilt, Fsmash (angled up), or Usmash (which does clash with the glide-attack if the hitboxes overlap before hurtboxes are in the way).

Also, note that any of your aerial hitboxes will also clash with the glide-attack, which is unusual. So you're pretty safe to use your Bair against the glide-attack; you'll either win for being early, clash even (no damage; you're not trading hits!), or MK's early (which is dangerous for MK if he misses).

Hope this helps. And I tested, glide-attack does 12% btw.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That is true, fsmash is weird. I've never seen it clash with anything come to think of it. It can't even stop projectiles that a simple jab can stop.

Hmmm, just like the laser...

infomon

Smash Scientist
The weird thing is, Fsmash can be interrupted; like, put ROB's Fsmash against Ike's Ftilt, and if you time it right so that the hitboxes overlap before hurtboxes get in the way, it will clash and they'll both instantly (a few frames max) put their attacks away, returning to a neutral standing state. This is the typical clash interaction for grounded attacks.

I didn't test it against other projectiles. This seems to be one of the rare places in Brawl where the "elemental type" of a hitbox has an effect on a priority-type interaction.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
In your opinion, whos playstyle resembles ROB the most?

(Olimar resembles Lucas to me....not saying exactly... just resembles)

ROB is giving me a hard time to learn >.< because I don't feel I know how to play him correctly, and maybe turning his playstyle into someone I can play well will help me out a bit.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That is true, fsmash is weird. I've never seen it clash with anything come to think of it. It can't even stop projectiles that a simple jab can stop.

Hmmm, just like the laser...
Actually, Kirby's Utilt clashes with it too, even if Kirby is facing away, but then, Kirby's Utilt is just plain weird.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
The most weird thing to me is how it can't stop projectiles that a jab can. I guess it's just that elemental thing that infzy was talking about.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
In your opinion, whos playstyle resembles ROB the most?

(Olimar resembles Lucas to me....not saying exactly... just resembles)

ROB is giving me a hard time to learn >.< because I don't feel I know how to play him correctly, and maybe turning his playstyle into someone I can play well will help me out a bit.
I kinda compare it to toon link, just replace his bair with fair. And a lot less projectiles. It's kinda weird trying to compare two characters in brawl, but I would say that TL comes the closest.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I kinda compare it to toon link, just replace his bair with fair. And a lot less projectiles. It's kinda weird trying to compare two characters in brawl, but I would say that TL comes the closest.
My TL's middle-class :p so I guess that explains a lot...

I guess your a lot closer then I was in comparing xD

(working on my Olimar got my Lucas to be better. hoping this can semi-help with Rob xD)

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord

Little Nicky reference?
Do i get cookies?

Edit: I think toon link is close (except for lack of glide toss...) I used to second TL until I realized I suck with him lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
ROB really isn't comparable to any single character.. :/
As a friend once said: "Take Akuma from [Whatever game he was broken in... I don't know my street Fighters very well...], Chun Li from Street Fighter 3, and Peach's Melee down smash, and mix them together and you'll get ROB."
Okay, so he was just johning because he'd gotten obliterated by another friend's ROB, but still, I found it funny :laugh:

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7

Little Nicky.

Someone prolly beat me to it, but I have no inclination to search between there and here. Besides, im sexier than anyone who posted that before me. Facts.

Edit: CJT beat me to it... thus confirming my previous statement. That is all.

Top Bottom