• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What exactly can ROB do vs Ness and Lucas out of GR? Both air and ground. I've never heard of a full list of stuff. Same goes for Pokemon Trainer, since most characters have some things on them.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You can re-grab after an air-release.
Oh really? Damn. Did you run some frame tests or something?

What exactly can ROB do vs Ness and Lucas out of GR? Both air and ground. I've never heard of a full list of stuff. Same goes for Pokemon Trainer, since most characters have some things on them.
Ground release to dsmash, I would imagine. His dash grab is probably too slow to regrab. GR to dtilt or ftilts most likely works too. I would use dtilt in hopes it would trip them for another grab.

And you can only do GR shenanigans to Squirtle, and I'm not sure what we're able to do, but if we can regrab MK, maybe we can regrab Squirtle?

Sharky

Smash Master
the tilts work for sure, I do that all the time. How many frames is his dash grab? If it's 11 or less then it works.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Oh really? Damn. Did you run some frame tests or something?
Not yet; however, every time I've tried it so far it has worked. I should mention you have to boost grab as well ^^;
I'm so sad that Rob is such a big character, yet he can't for air-releases ;_; so stupid.

//hasplayedrobfor2daysandstilldoesn'tknowwhattodoyet<.<

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Okay, well another good place to start with ROB, is learn to control the space around him. You never really want anyone too close to you, the closest you want them is at about ftilt range. I can imagine Olimar wants characters about that length away from him too, since ROB's ftilt is a similar range to Olimar's grab.

ROB is not a very good character at dealing with pressure, imo. You also need to work on getting back on stage with him, it's tough, because his getup options are not good, and he isn't able to keep invincibility frames on any attack besides fair, which is easy to read and punish. I like to drop down, use nair, and autocancel it as I land back on the stage.

Also ROB gets juggled a lot, so B-reverse gyro cancel is important to learn. The easiest way to get the cancel is to hold down shield right after pressing down B, and it will automatically cancel for you.

Idk, watch videos of top ROBs. They all have different playstyles, so see which one could work for you, or build upon someone else's and have your own playstyle.

Don't watch videos of me though, I'm pretty bad. :p

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Not yet; however, every time I've tried it so far it has worked. I should mention you have to boost grab as well ^^;
I'm so sad that Rob is such a big character, yet he can't for air-releases ;_; so stupid.

//hasplayedrobfor2daysandstilldoesn'tknowwhattodoyet<.<
That's the sign of a good character you'll feel a lot of reward from in learning.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
My only guess is the textures you had on might have made the laser invisible. They can do stupid things to the game sometimes. It was most likely the stage texture though, I don't think the ROB-E texture does anything, since it's just a recolor. The stage has stuff added to it, which means the stage's vertex was hacked, which could've done something.

Idk, it's weird. I just prefer to not use textures at all, because stuff like this could happen. All I need are music hacks. :)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its a glitch that happens when a weak laser turns into a strong laser, the strong laser doesnt come out.

nothing to do with textures lol.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
You can Dtilt ness out of ground release, if he trips, regrab and repeat

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have had no trouble regrabbin Ness out of a GR. Rob is fast enough to do it. Dtilt is also a good option, but relies on luck and can be SDI'd. ****ing Ness.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm assuming you can also dash attack them right? I don't know what frame it comes out on though.

I know the best way to buffer a dash attack, but is there a better way to buffer a dash grab than just over + grab lol

How much longer (time wise) is a boost dash grab? Like an extra frame or two for the dash attack to initiate?

8Bitman

Smash Master
Well I appreciate all of these options, because I studied the Ness/Lucas MU for a while, and never knew what worked and what didn't.

If I ever fight Shaky again, I should win... XD

Also Stingers, that "laser glitch" is that when the weak laser INSTANTLY, like THAT MILLISECOND, turns into the strong laser, and you happen to shoot it at that point in time?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
My only question nowadays is if Mister Eric is going to make another one of those Meta Series videos.
I was really looking forward to the one about RoboCopter. :3

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Well I appreciate all of these options, because I studied the Ness/Lucas MU for a while, and never knew what worked and what didn't.

If I ever fight Shaky again, I should win... XD

Also Stingers, that "laser glitch" is that when the weak laser INSTANTLY, like THAT MILLISECOND, turns into the strong laser, and you happen to shoot it at that point in time?
pretty sure yeah...that would explain why it so rarely happens no?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Wouldn't be that difficult to test.
Just spend a few minutes firing a laser every 20 seconds and see how consistently you can get the glitch.
I could test it in frame advance if it's really important to know... lol.

SPEAKING OF FRAMES

I've been (very) slowly working on re-doing the frame data for Rob with smashlab tools and what not (current frame data thread is atrocious and either inconsistent or wrong). I'm kinda a perfectionist / detail / organization ***** when it comes to this (see shiek's frame data - first 4 posts).... so I was wondering if you guys would rather wait for me to finish what I want to get done before posting, or just get what I have up now and slowly fill things in when I feel like it? Getting most of the data is really easy / quick to do; however, organizing it into stuff that makes sense for everyone as well as going through all the formulas for shield advantage (etc) is very tedious / boring. lol.
It's your call. Once the thread is up I can start taking requests on things you guys actually want done, which might be a more efficient use of my time.

EDIT: feel free to add me on aim/skype and ask me to test stuff. I'll try to if possible.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Fill in as you go lol. I'm impatient.
Give us something to babble anout

:phone:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You just need to input an attack as soon as you jump. I don't know if c-stick works, but I usually don't use it for aerials anyway. So like, if you use Y to jump, just slide your thumb from Y to A as fast as you can, and you'll get a gyro pickup, and a nair.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Whenever I pick the Gyro up with a jump, I usually Z-Catch it, but I have caught it with Fair a lot before.

Picking up a Gyro with a Reverse Aerial Rush would certainly be interesting. Run in, grab the gyro, and make it REALLY difficult to be punished for it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Instant throwing it from the ground is also useful as it's so damn fast they fall for it most of the time.
I think Rob should really be consider as an item character like Diddy and our game should be based around our gyro, it's awesome.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i had a phase where I thought that but the gyro is just too hard to actually pick up to be able to use it all the time. but watching ocean kinda changed my mind on that @.@

Top Bottom