• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just a random question, how is Robs juggling game? I don't see him being fast enough in the air, unless using upB, to follow your opponents. Our uair isn't exactly the kind of move that pops them up in the air and it you can SDI out of it. Nair is the best one probably but that will stale one of our killmoves and it's so slow that people can dair before the hitbox comes out.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I haven't read through any of this, but on a quick skim whim, evening spacing can be deadly due to his u-tilt hitting us out of just about everything iirc.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
you dont juggle snake with rob, you punish his landing with a grab or fully charged gyro

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I mean, he can u-tilt my f-tilt lol. And yeah, just shadow Snake, like TeeVee said.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Obviously we can't whiff an ftilt since our hurtbox extends but it still outranges Snake.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well then I guess my best hope is to just practice the chaingrab on Snake and deal with it. Rob will have another moment to shine for me.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Nah Joker is Iowa. I meant Ak ashi.

Actually I lose to every Snake, really. The only notable Snake I've ever beaten in tournament was Nappy.

:(

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
R.O.B.'s MG has evolved since 08 and Snake hasn't as much and we still lose to Snake; hate him.

Chibo; when did I say that R.O.B.'s tilts are good against Snake?

-LzR-; sorry I hesitated on you but I just couldn't imagine that R.O.B. had better range than Snake in the ground lol, but I suppose you're right then. Nevertheless we still lose to him.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
R.O.B.'s MG has evolved since 08 and Snake hasn't as much and we still lose to Snake; hate him.

Chibo; when did I say that R.O.B.'s tilts are good against Snake?

-LzR-; sorry I hesitated on you but I just couldn't imagine that R.O.B. had better range than Snake in the ground lol, but I suppose you're right then. Nevertheless we still lose to him.
Snakes metagame has certainly involved since 2008.

Just because his tilts are amazing and people still use them doesn't mean the rest of his metagame hasn't improved.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Look at Japanese Snakes and then come back trying to say his metagame hasn't evolved. Snake is amazing, but dumb.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yeah but not as much as R.O.B.'s. How clear do you actually need to be lol?

And when I said we had 60:40/2+ against Olimar it was just... a ****** move from me. I still don't neglect the fact that R.O.B. has the potential to shut his ground game down, therefore making it 55:45/+1 or even.

What happens to the R.O.B. mainers now (people still play with him but I talk about maining him and go 100 % in tournaments without exceptions)? We seem to be reduced... Sure, he has a tough time against the higher tiers but in all honesty everybody from Samus and up are tournament viable to me (if MK's banned and Bowser's below Samus; which I believe he is).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Actually Rob is along the line of viable character. I think Rob is one of the characters who are barely viable, good characters with a couple of bad MUs in their way.
As for Robs metagame evolving: We got upB stuff and WBGC and ppl learned to counters our projectiles. Other than that I dunno if there has been any progress.

Also, is the Dthrow -> uair combo still legit?

Sheck

Smash Cadet
What stages besides BF can R.O.B. do that little trick where he shoots a dreidel into the bottom corner of the stage and z-catches it? I've been trying on FD and can't get it to work reliably, but I'm also pretty terrible at this game. I got it once on Halberd during the part where the platform docks outside by the claw and laser cannon.

OCEAN does it at 1:23 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFkJUb_-csc

dettadeus

Smash Lord
It's pretty much only BF reliably because there's a straight part at the bottom so the gyro bounces off nicely, but you can actually do it to any stage with a normal ledge if you hit the very edge of the stage.

So like on FD you would aim for the part that you hang on.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
What do I do if Olimar ends up camping under a platform on say.. Battlefield?

Also, how to I prevent getting juggled by the cutest spaceman to ever play brawl?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Outspace him with tilts, leave gyros lying around to distract and hurt his Pikmin, laser him when you can. Shake off Pikmin with U-Tilt. Keep him away but not so far that he feels comfortable camping because Olimar will out-camp you.

Mix-up your landing with gyrobounces and wavebounced Robo Booster. Don't get onto platforms. If Olimar is under a platform laser through his pikmin and hit him or something.
Gyro can take out a Pikmin in one throw usually so you can sort of Glide Toss towards him but Olimar has his pivot grab so that's actually a terrible idea.

If he does get to juggling you, just Robo-Booster out of there because he can only follow you up so far. Then get back to the ground confusing him with gyro-cancels and gyrobounces.

I think that about covers it but I don't have a whole lot of experience with the matchup seeing as there aren't really any good Olimar players in my region.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
As we all know, Ocean is a hero to all of us.

The most advanced thing I can do with ROB so far is gyro cancel pivot. Does anybody have any tips on how to perform this consistently? I want to someday learn how to string this with Bair, mostly, for mindgames.

Will it become an eventual liability for me if I'm going to use the L button to perform my cancels, dodges, shields? I feel like it may get in the way with inputting control stick directionals with my thumb, while moving my left index finger in quick succession that may be anatomically efficient for me in match situations.

Additionally, can anybody give some tips for the robo burner pivot? That'll also be useful for punishes. I have yet to even execute the robo burner pivot deliberately.

How long does it take to learn these? I feel like I have to be incredibly precise with my timing to get some of these correctly. The gyro cancel, though, I'm starting to get used to.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Just practice a lot. Nobody would really be able to give a specific number, but a half hour a day for like two weeks would probably be enough to get anything down, especially for R.O.B.'s stuff.

I personally use R for shield and stuff like that, but to each his own. If you're more comfortable with it, go for it.

Robo Burner Pivot... are you talking about the wavebounce one where you reverse your momentum or the b-reversal one where you keep momentum but face the other direction?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
As we all know, Ocean is a hero to all of us.

The most advanced thing I can do with ROB so far is gyro cancel pivot. Does anybody have any tips on how to perform this consistently? I want to someday learn how to string this with Bair, mostly, for mindgames.

Will it become an eventual liability for me if I'm going to use the L button to perform my cancels, dodges, shields? I feel like it may get in the way with inputting control stick directionals with my thumb, while moving my left index finger in quick succession that may be anatomically efficient for me in match situations.

Additionally, can anybody give some tips for the robo burner pivot? That'll also be useful for punishes. I have yet to even execute the robo burner pivot deliberately.

How long does it take to learn these? I feel like I have to be incredibly precise with my timing to get some of these correctly. The gyro cancel, though, I'm starting to get used to.
The only way to learn how to do it consistently is to practice. I find it helps to hit L (yes I use L too, and can cancel just fine) right as you press down B to start the gyro, which gives you an easier way to cancel, and no need for precise timing.

To pivot Robo Burner, I just do an upwards half circle motion on the stick, hitting B as I reach the top of the stick. Same with pivot gyro, just half circle down.

I've practiced to the point where not doing a pivot is harder for me than doing the pivot itself.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
Just practice a lot. Nobody would really be able to give a specific number, but a half hour a day for like two weeks would probably be enough to get anything down, especially for R.O.B.'s stuff.

I personally use R for shield and stuff like that, but to each his own. If you're more comfortable with it, go for it.

Robo Burner Pivot... are you talking about the wavebounce one where you reverse your momentum or the b-reversal one where you keep momentum but face the other direction?
Awesome, I guess I'll just be a temporary social recluse until I can get something down haha.

And actually, I'd love to know how to do both. I've never wavebounced except experimenting with B-sticking, and we all know that doesn't help (much).

The only way to learn how to do it consistently is to practice. I find it helps to hit L (yes I use L too, and can cancel just fine) right as you press down B to start the gyro, which gives you an easier way to cancel, and no need for precise timing.

To pivot Robo Burner, I just do an upwards half circle motion on the stick, hitting B as I reach the top of the stick. Same with pivot gyro, just half circle down.

I've practiced to the point where not doing a pivot is harder for me than doing the pivot itself.
Cool! I'm a lefty, so I've done it ever since I've held a Gamecube controller.

Thanks for the tips Zeroswarm (right?), I believe I remember you before you switched to MK a long time ago (assuming you are the person I think I am talking about :urg:)

I'll check back in and see if I need any more help! I might want to do a tourney someday on college breaks haha

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Cool, I guess I'll just be a temporary social recluse until I can get something down haha.

And actually, I'd love to know how to do both. I've never wavebounced except experimenting with B-sticking, and we all know that doesn't help.

Cool! I'm a lefty, so I've done it ever since I've held a Gamecube controller.

Thanks for the tips Zeroswarm (right?), I believe I remember you before you switched to MK a long time ago (assuming you are the person I think I am talking about :urg:)

I'll check back in and see if I need any more help! I might want to do a tourney someday on college breaks haha
You're thinking Overswarm, that's not me. Zwarm is short for ZombieSwarm, which is a tag I made up back in like, 2005-06.

I mostly play Diddy/Falco/Peach now, but I got my start with ROB. I just don't find him that fun anymore. :/

Funbun

Smash Cadet
You're thinking Overswarm, that's not me. Zwarm is short for ZombieSwarm, which is a tag I made up back in like, 2005-06.

I mostly play Diddy/Falco/Peach now, but I got my start with ROB. I just don't find him that fun anymore. :/
Shi*, my bad!! It was too good to be true.

Nevertheless, thanks for helping me out and the other up and comers around here!

Why don't you find him fun anymore, btw? Maybe you just played with him too much.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
because he's bad haha.
people dont have fun when they lose =p
ROB takes dedication. you have to want to play him

Zwarm

Smash Hero
because he's bad haha.
people dont have fun when they lose =p
ROB takes dedication. you have to want to play him
Basically. And I lost that want. I felt like I only played him for so long because people expected me to, but I can't anymore. I still use him in doubles, but I'm done with him for singles.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
Aw, that sucks. Yeah, playing ROB is kinda hard.

Anyhow, I've been practicing quite a bit and I've got down the pivot and gyro cancel about 70% of the time, which is apparently not good enough. I can mix up my defenses a lot more, like throwing in Bairs as an approach, or wavebounce gyro pivot and do it a bit more defensively (it seems like I wavebounce pivot all the time without meaning to, but I don't care, it's better for recoveries).

However, I still cannot get down the robo burner pivot well enough. Yeah, I can pivot going if I'm going up completely vertical, but I have trouble (and have no clue) on pulling off a pivot when I'm robo burning at an angle, say for an approach or off-stage kill for the Bair.

^^Basically, I have trouble pulling off what Ocean does at around 3:12 of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QVc3pMoi8

How does he do that?

Hahha and thanks to you, Zwarm, I'm gyro canceling and/or pivoting almost obsessively during games now lol

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Ah, that pivot.
Here's how I recall practicing it:
Run right > Rotate control stick 135 degrees (so it's in the top left notch) (+ Jump if you don't have Tap Jump on) + B. IIRC it's like a Reverse Aerial Rush, where you turn around just before the jump and keep the momentum. Just do the opposite for the other direction.
I'm pretty sure that's it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
To do that off the ground, you need to jump first. If you have tap jump off, you need to manually input the jump and then reverse the up B.

It's almost a bad habit to get into. I do it with every character now, even if it's useless with them...

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Playing ROB is really hard. At high levels at least. I still feel that he's not "bad." I guess I can't change minds with words though.

Top Bottom