• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

8Bitman

Smash Master
Laser is amazing in doubles. If your teammate is grabbed, you can shoot a laser to break the grab and hit their teammate who is trying to come along for a grab combo. Godlike.
Not all the time, that completely has to do with controller port. Lower Port # will get hit. Not always a good idea.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep all that in mind. On another note, I've decided that I'm entirely lacking in general play experience, so I decided to get back on wifi. If any of you good players wanna play against me sometimes, whether it be dittos or using your secondaries, I would much appreciate it, especially if you can tell me some pointers on what I'm doing wrong (cause I know theres a lot of it lol).
Where do you live?

:phone:

8Bitman

Smash Master
So then you just have to make sure your partner gets the highest controller port, right?
Basically but people fight over port priority. That's why there is a rule in the unity ruleset about discussing Rock Paper Scissors to decide who gets PP.

But the grab will still be broken, no matter who gets hit.
Yes, but I don't want to damage my teammate and potentially put them in a worse situation. When I could simply get there in time to punish the person grabbing them. Not a good thing to do every time. You have to think of the options your opponents have rather than just trying to save your partner from what you think is danger.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
What's this with the controller ports all of a sudden? Can you link a source or something since I haven't heard of it before (in teams).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You claim to be a great teams player, but you don't even understand the controller port stuff?

8Bitman

Smash Master
LOL ^^^

Basically if you have a higher Port #, you have PP over them. 2 over 1, 3 over 2, and 4 over all.

If you have PP, then when a move attacks both players in a grab situation, the person with PP will stay, and remain untouched, while the person without PP, will get hit and break the grab.

For example, has it ever happened to you that a Snake D-Threw you while there was a Grenade, and the Grenade exploded and someone got hit, while the other was untouched and stayed on the ground???

That is why. I am pretty sure that is as far as PP goes, but I may be wrong. Look it up if you are curious. Don't claim to be things without proof.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
There's also the spawn locations and probably where you are seated in relation to your partner.

I kept hearing "And *insert tag*'s team starts with stage control, let's see what happens" during the APEX streams. Especially on BF because one team ends up with both players on a platform.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
You claim to be a great teams player, but you don't even understand the controller port stuff?
And where did you come from, stalker/lurker? Yeah that's why we had the rule 1 + 4 & 2 +3 in teams at our tournament so no, I obviously don't? So basically what you're saying is that you aren't a good player if you can't the controller port stuff? I've missed you -LzR-. <3

8Bitman; I understand it more now thanks, and I knew the higher the better. I just don't care about it much and that is a really dumb thing in Brawl, but rather that than pure luck if you ask me. One more thing, does both get damaged? I think it does, doesn't it?

So, with OCEAN beating M2K I hope more R.O.B.s learn that camping is not a good option and that M2K sucked badly in a MU he shouldn't lose, especially not from him LoL.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Sorry for double post!

There's also the spawn locations and probably where you are seated in relation to your partner.

I kept hearing "And *insert tag*'s team starts with stage control, let's see what happens" during the APEX streams. Especially on BF because one team ends up with both players on a platform.
What? I'm too tired to actually get it, sorry. Care to explain? D=

dettadeus

Smash Lord
What? I'm too tired to actually get it, sorry. Care to explain? D=
The place where you spawn in a four-player match is determined by what port your controller is plugged into. On a flat place like SV or FD, player 1 starts at far left, then going right is 2, 3, and 4. I think BF has 1, 2, and 3 on platforms with 4 on the very bottom. I dunno how other stages work, since these are really the only stages I see doubles played on, lol.

And everyone agreed M2K was completely off his game against Ocean, IIRC.
Or he just wasn't playing right. He won game 2 because he brought it to time on Delfino or something.

If you look at how he was playing in Doubles, it's obvious how off-game he was because he made quite a few stupid mistakes and actually took Anti's last stock in the last game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So, with OCEAN beating M2K I hope more R.O.B.s learn that camping is not a good option and that M2K sucked badly in a MU he shouldn't lose, especially not from him LoL.
Just please stop saying that "aggro is the best way to play Brawl since approaching is safe and camping sucks" because it's anything but the truth. Rob has a terrible approach and you know it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
dettadeus; man, didn't know that. Thanks!

-LzR-; that wasn't what I said, lol the whole point of my comment was the fact that even R.O.B. can win if he approaches, you only misinterpret what I write (like all the times it seems). And no, R.O.B. can approach, it depends on the player, not on R.O.B.. You should not approach ZSS, DDD and ICs (Mk's quiestionable but it depends on the situation), but that's all IMO.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What you think of "approaching" or "aggroing" is probably just punishing ****.
A dash attack OoS is not an approach.

Funbun

Smash Cadet
I was actually watching the entire replay of the Apex 2012 Ocean and M2K match, and I picked up a few pointers.

I've noticed that Ocean really uses his Bair for spacing, and that's obviously typical of ROB. However, I was wondering why he didn't decide to at least once approach here or there with an Fair. I've never played against a MK main, so I wouldn't know. Does MK have much more aerial priority against ROB's Fair? Ocean's strategy seemed almost too consistent, and it seemed that Ocean could have thrown M2K a bit off if he added a little non-projectile offense.

Additionally, why didn't Ocean abuse his Nair a bit more? I noticed a gigantic mistake of his in the last round where he could have ended the game about 20 seconds earlier if he had just thrown it in.

Is the Nair actually pretty punishable? I've seen a lot of tournament videos and I'm surprised that nobody desires to at least spam it along with the rest of the movepool.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I was actually watching the entire replay of the Apex 2012 Ocean and M2K match, and I picked up a few pointers.

I've noticed that Ocean really uses his Bair for spacing, and that's obviously typical of ROB. However, I was wondering why he didn't decide to at least once approach here or there with an Fair. I've never played against a MK main, so I wouldn't know. Does MK have much more aerial priority against ROB's Fair? Ocean's strategy seemed almost too consistent, and it seemed that Ocean could have thrown M2K a bit off if he added a little non-projectile offense.

Additionally, why didn't Ocean abuse his Nair a bit more? I noticed a gigantic mistake of his in the last round where he could have ended the game about 20 seconds earlier if he had just thrown it in.

Is the Nair actually pretty punishable? I've seen a lot of tournament videos and I'm surprised that nobody desires to at least spam it along with the rest of the movepool.
Tornado and Shuttle Loop eat both of those moves when timed properly, or in SL's case, whenever he feels like throwing it out. At least Bair spaces you away from Metaknight, which is a lot less risky, though you can still get punished for it. He also probably likes saving nair for kills, it's a pretty smart idea, but every MU is different, sometimes you need nair for spacing, and end up saving bair for kills.

Edit: Also fair is not a good approach against any tournament viable character, except maybe Falco.

Actually, approaching with ROB at all is not very good. (though Mister Eric would disagree) He's more of a space controlling character, keeping people away from him with projectiles and tilts.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

You use fair to punish, not approach.

Very few matchups can safely use fair as an approach. One off the top of my mind is Peach.

8Bitman

Smash Master
OMFG Chibo is sooo right, Fair RRRAAAAPPPEEESSSS Peach.

Also guys, why are we talking about approaching these high tier characters??? R.O.B get GarbanzoBeaned if he approaches... (Don't know if that was a good verb, but I used it...) Fair has a lot of priority, but we get punished every time...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But ccst sez aggro is the way to go. If you don't approach with Rob, you gonna lose and that's why you suck. He must be right, he is the best Rob in Sweden afterall...

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
But ccst sez aggro is the way to go. If you don't approach with Rob, you gonna lose and that's why you suck. He must be right, he is the best Rob in Sweden afterall...
That's what she said, drama queen. You seem complete bored, that even Jigglypuff on your avatar's happy.

I'm not going to argue if R.O.B. can or can't approach since it's pretty pointless. Adios!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I have a question for you specifically: why the hate on ccst all the time? It's annoying.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Best place to start with ROB, learn how good spotdodge d-smash is, but then stop using it because it's actually horrible.

Actually learn the different lengths of gyro charges and glide tosses. I know you have enough grasp of the game where you don't need to start with the little basics like proper punishing and stuff, that's pretty simple. Also, learn how to control up B while saving fuel (tapping B)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Because we are pals, we pick on each other all the time.
We? How do you know that I think it's "friendly"? You do it while I defend myself, not that I take what you write that seriously or anything but that's a horrible excuse lol. Also, if you have a problem with me, take it personally like a pal instead of AWing like an idiot over Smashboards. Thank you!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
We? How do you know that I think it's "friendly"? You do it while I defend myself, not that I take what you write that seriously or anything but that's a horrible excuse lol. Also, if you have a problem with me, take it personally like a pal instead of AWing like an idiot over Smashboards. Thank you!
Oh I see. That changes everything.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
wtf...an oli main is picking up ROB...right as I'm picking up oli o.O
it cannot be coincidence...it must be fate

Dnyce

Smash Master
wtf...an oli main is picking up ROB...right as I'm picking up oli o.O
it cannot be coincidence...it must be fate
*movie theater voice*

Two Men

On a Mission

BY THEMSELVES

with the most broken characters

from japan?

lol, and yeah... it is weird. As long as we don't tell anyone we're banging c-sticks together, it'll be our own secret.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
But how are people going to eat their popcorn if we aren't talking crap? D:
WILL SOMEBODY THINK OF THE POPCORN T_T

Top Bottom