• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB+: Organic Meatbags Beware!

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
OK so I downloaded it.

UP B is purely ****ed. This leaves him open, affects his blindspot, he can't recover high. Sweetspotting is impossible and sweetspotting was IMPORTANT for ROB. However I will say I actually did a combo with his side B :0 (I think that was actually intentional. I hope they keep it.)

His recovery is actually making me reconsider but it's freaking win.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Since there's no good tourneys this weekend, I may go visit my old college, so the earliest I can play is probably next Monday.

Brawl+ is a completely different game from the one you played.

Also, Brawl+ =/= Melee. I think Melee is a better competitive game than Brawl, but Melee bores me as much as Brawl does, because I played it competitively for years and years and I've seen pretty much everything there is to see. It's old and stale. Brawl got stale a lot faster than Melee did, because it's just not as deep or fun (though I think the characters in Brawl are a lot more varied and interesting, and they would even be better balanced if not for a couple stupid ones at the top of the tier list).

Brawl+ is new and fresh. It's hard to tell at this point how deep it is, but that's kinda the point of giving it more Melee-ish mechanics anyway. Learning it is precisely the reason why I'm so hyped about it right now. Learning a new game is a lot of fun, especially when you have a solid foundation and you're learning it with other people.
Yeah GIMR put it the same way, he reminded me of how we all used to check the updates to see what it was if it was a new character and we were all hyped for it and we got...meh

I have played a Brawl+ mod, I think it is an older version though. I was at a college playing it. It had auto l cancel, increased hit stun, and some other things. It's at stevenson university, they play that now all the time instead of regular brawl. I will talk to him to see if he wants to do a small brawl+ tourney in his dorm sometime on a weekday night.

Edit: I left a message with him. I'm hoping we can do something on a weekday evening. Perhaps even no money involved, just play to get a spark lit.

shanus

Smash Hero
OK so I downloaded it.

UP B is purely ****ed. This leaves him open, affects his blindspot, he can't recover high. Sweetspotting is impossible and sweetspotting was IMPORTANT for ROB. However I will say I actually did a combo with his side B :0 (I think that was actually intentional. I hope they keep it.)

His recovery is actually making me reconsider but it's freaking win.
You can sweetspot. The way no autosweetspot ledges works is if your still going with velocity upwards you can ledgegrab. So if you rapidly tap the b button below the edge as ROB to slow down, you can get a sweetspot.

edit: sudai covered it for me

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah I haven't had much trouble recovering. Watch that video I posted, I sweetspotted the ledge multiple times. It just takes a bit more effort.

Tant, turns out I am gonna be home this weekend. See if those Stevenson guys wanna play some Brawl+ on Saturday or something.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
I picked up ROB as a secondary in Brawl+ just because of how fun he is now. He can camp and combo, so you always have a choice against different characters.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm sticking with both for now, but I'm finding myself caring less and less about vanilla Brawl. I'm hoping I can get a decent tourney scene going in my area for Brawl+ so I can quit Brawl after Genesis.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm quitting it. It's not worth relearning and quitting my entire community for, even though i like it more. I'll just face the fact Brawl fails. *Waits for The Conduit*
This guy wins. The Conduit's going to be the Wii's Halo, just you see.
I'm never going to switch to Brawl+, I'll play it but not switch. For the same reasons Nintendevil said.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I got in an arguement with zelda_master_timmy (ZMT) over ROB's use in B+. He says ROB's inability to fight while being in the air when being attacked from below makes him a horrible character. Is that true?

Excellence

Smash Champion
I got in an arguement with zelda_master_timmy (ZMT) over ROB's use in B+. He says ROB's inability to fight while being in the air when being attacked from below makes him a horrible character. Is that true?
It'll probably make some match-ups ridiculously hard for him. I can only imagine all the abuse he's going to take from a simple grab > aerial controlling combo. Still, R.O.B.'s got his Side B which is looking really good. Just stay away from Brawl+ in general.

^^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
How is that any different from vanilla Brawl? ROB can use the same tricks to get back to the ground in Brawl+ as he can in Brawl, with the added ability to fling himself across the stage with side-B. He also doesn't have to worry as much about spamming nair since it doesn't degrade.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
How is that any different from vanilla Brawl? ROB can use the same tricks to get back to the ground in Brawl+ as he can in Brawl, with the added ability to fling himself across the stage with side-B. He also doesn't have to worry as much about spamming nair since it doesn't degrade.
Dairs are a LOT more useful in B +. They launch people up in the perfect position, and have great hitstun. I do agree though, the Nair is like the Knee. Great launcher, a KO move, good for starting and ending combos.

shanus

Smash Hero
ROB is most definitely top tier in B+. No questions about it.

Ruse

Fox
Trying out Brawl+ tonight.

If I like it, putting it on my Wii and never going back.

I'm having more fun watching Brawl+ then I have playing Super Smash Bros.: Meta Knight Edition.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
wow, heli-jumping is pretty broken this way. Super height and distance at the same time.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
i spam side b in brawl +. LOL
LOL me too!
everyone who likes side-b should try side-b to momentum switch up-b. its awesome!
keep in mind that if done wrong, you will lose a stock...

you can see it in this video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wwQEgKwWT0

also, thanks to texture hacks, I got myself a pretty sweet ROB model.

"MY metal box! D:<"

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
d-throw -> bair works as well, especially when the opponent is pushed past the edge, then its gimping time!

dash attack may be risky but can be followed by ANYTHING!

dash attack -> grab works on most characters at certain percents. you just gotta catch them before they touch the ground. works on heavies/fast fallers at later %'s and mid-weights at earlier %'s. unfortunately, it doesn't work on light/floaty characters.
here is a fun combo to try on n00bs: dash atk -> b-throw -> dash atk -> (repeat, or add a d-throw -> bair/uair/fair to finish or continue with another combo) . its DI'able and techable, but if you can read them right and pull it on an advanced player, its so satisfying.

side-b is weird... there are times where it sucks the opponent in sets them for a F-smash/D-smash, and others where it doesnt... also, like I said in my previous post, side-b -> momentum switch up-b is so much fun!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I left bair out of the combos I listed because, unless you hit with the front hitbox, it doesn't lead into anything, and nair always kills better unless you're at the edge of the stage or they DI really poorly. It's just a situational KO move/spacing tool that doesn't really belong in a combo listing.

Thanks for the info though. I really like side-B -> wavebounced up-B :chuckle:

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I love how if you actually hit with the dair (grounded opponent) you can't get punished for it. Dair is important for the metagame of many characters. At least now we can combo with it but we have to be crafty. I feel it's difficult to hit with the last hit of uair, meaning often your both just hanging there but they can hit you.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
If you try to start fairing when the opponent is at low % and on the ground they can DI down and get off in the 2nd hit. If they don't know how to DI though, you can fair about 5-6 times and maybe nair after it. I was able to Hit them with a nair during a full hop and up-b chase them with another nair before they could do anything (about 60%). I tried him for a few minutes and he is sooo good. I was going even with my brother when he gives me more trouble with my main. ROB + Brawl+ = Holy ****

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
ROB+ is really really good. I'm kinda surprised hardly anyone uses him. I dropped him for Squirtle for a while but I recently decided to pick him back up as a Marth counter and I'm still wrecking ****. His fair gimps are broken good against some characters.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
To start discusion of matchups for ROB I'd just like to say that Peach is definately a bad matchup for ROB. She can outspace him, her shield pressure is even better now (lagless aerial), she can combo him like crazy, kill him earlier than she could before, and he has a lot of trouble gimping her if she can DI well (and won't be forced to recover from low frequently). Even when she is recovering from low the parasol will outprioritize him. Nair/Bair OOS mess with him too. I'm just starting off with this note because I have A LOT (seriously) of experience with this matchup and play a very competent ROB on a regular basis (weekly).

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
From the most recent nightly build:

-ROB fair sweetspot 9 dmg from 10, angle 45 from special 20
-ROB fair sourspot 5 dmg from 6, angle 45 from special 20

Why was this changed? Can anyone explain to me exactly what it means? Ability to combo more? Or simply a useless nerf? :confused:

scrubadub

Smash Rookie
How does ROB match up with Marth? It seems like Marth has more tools than ever to get ROB in the air and keep him there if he ever gets below him. I'm having a lot of trouble with my friend's Marth. The only thing that keeps it close is the occasional low percentage gimp (which they might be taking away in the next build X_X ). Any suggestions?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
They're taking the fair nerf back out. If ROB couldn't gimp I wouldn't even play him. Fair is his best move by far.

Considering Marth is arguably the best character in Brawl+ right now, ROB does much better than most. Sure, he gets juggled, but he can also juggle back fairly well, plus he's great at keeping Marth away with projectiles and slightly better range. Gimping Marth is also easysauce.

ROB may possibly have the advantage as things stand now (at least he does a lot better than Squirtle :p).

Sudai

Stuff here
It doesn't matter to me either way, I was just answering Holy's question on what the changes meant for the FAir. Thanks for the confirmation though. : )

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad the change was taken out. Less gimping ability for R.O.B. isn't really worth more combos. His combos don't do that much damage compared to other characters (although he does have combos for multiple % ranges which is cool) and a more comboable fair just wouldn't be worth a nerf to his amazing gimping.

Top Bottom