• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB+: Organic Meatbags Beware!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
R.O.B.+

ROB. He's in Brawl+. And he's amazing. He's also different.

Changes:
  • The most important one is that his up-B no longer sweetspots. However, if you let off the gas, when he begins to drop he will grab the ledge. When you're recovering, it is important to let off the gas at the right time so ROB will grab the ledge. You don't want to pop up too high or bounce off.
  • A lot of his pseudocombos are now true combos. Anything that almost worked in vBrawl will work in Brawl+.
  • No stale moves means you can spam nair to your heart's content and not have to worry about it not killing later. It also means you don't have to be afraid to use uthrow at low %s to start combos.
  • ROB is still the beastly gimper he was in vBrawl, and with the added hitstun, you can keep fairing people offstage all day.
  • You can actually edgeguard from the stage now. Dtilt (like Marth in Melee) or run off and dair/fair/bair.
  • SIDE-B!!! Instead of being a slow, ****ty reflector that can be shieldgrabbed while it's still ****ing spinning... it now flings you across the stage at high-speed, still reflects, shieldpokes like crazy, can techchase things and follow up combos you never thought possible, and is hard as hell to punish!

A few combos to get you started:
  • dthrow -> nair - works on almost any character at almost any %, makes kill setups easy
  • fair -> fair -> fair... - works incredibly well, especially off the edge
  • dthrow/uthrow -> uair/fair - you gotta follow the DI, but this is a staple low % combo
  • dash attack -> utilt -> uair/fair - dash attack is risky, but it's a good combo starter
  • fsmash/fthrow/bthrow -> fully charged laser - good way to get an early kill if they DI wrong and you're a good shot
  • jab -> dtilt -> ftilt/grab - a better GTFO move than dsmash if they're in front of you
  • dair (on a grounded opponent) -> fsmash/usmash - yeah, it's dumb, but it works
  • ftilt -> side-B - because you can!
  • ROB's glidetoss combos are basically unchanged

More to come. Feel free to suggest your own.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If you give Brawl+ a try you'll feel the same way.

If Brawl+ had as well-established a community as Brawl has, I would have already switched over for good.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I've been one of the biggest followers in Brawl+ since the beginning and it's come a long way. I really hope the community gets big for it, and ROB is freicken amazing.

IMO he's one of the 3 best characters in the game and mostly everyone agrees with me.

Combos, amazing recovery, deals damage very fast now, better killing power, projectiles, etc.

I don't "main" ROB in Brawl+ since now all the characters I wanted to play in Brawl got buffed to where they are now usable (Sonic), and I've also taken a liking to Brawl+ Falco, however I still play ROB a decent amount as I definitely need him for counterpicking someone like Marth, who is amazing in Brawl+ (possibly the best character).

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Brawl+ is amazing. I main Wolf mostly, ***** has combos out the ***. ROB sucks IMO but if Chibo thinks he's good I must be missing something :x

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I've fallen in love with Brawl+ Samus actually, which is weird cause I can't stand her in Brawl.

But when I need to ****, I go back to ROB :)

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Jcz let me know if there are ever Brawl+ events that I don't know of. I may try it out if I can find somewhere thats hosting an event for it.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
If you give Brawl+ a try you'll feel the same way.

If Brawl+ had as well-established a community as Brawl has, I would have already switched over for good.
In that case, I'm not going to even try it, just as I will never try World of Warcraft for the same reason. It will be too addicting, and I want to stay legitimate in the brawl community. =) Anyone feel me?

shanus

Smash Hero
After I click this, is it the link all the way on the bottom called copy to sd card?
Or should I just use the one dated today?
If you have twilight hacked your wii and have homebrew up, copy the RSBE01.gct from the 3-17 folder and put in your codes folder on your SD card. If you haven't set it up, pm me for help on that.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
In that case, I'm not going to even try it, just as I will never try World of Warcraft for the same reason. It will be too addicting, and I want to stay legitimate in the brawl community. =) Anyone feel me?
Yes! Right Ch0zen?

.......ch0zen?

Anyway, I actually saw the one on frigate orpheon yesterday (#5) and thought it was regular brawl until I saw this thread just now. I guess I don't pay attention to the individual attack percents after every hit lol

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but this is p*ssing me off. The ONLY reason I have to play this game is Wifi. If this became standard, Brawl would literally be a useless piece of sh*t to me. You're turning Brawl into a new game, so instead of being whining b*tches and complaining about how bad Brawl is, go play the game you want and be happy with it!

The only reason half the people are playing Brawl is because they can't play Melee! I understand this is far from happening, but you don't realize how unfair this is... It makes the game better for people who can mod/ are live, but invalid for people who can't mod/ are not live. Even if you could mod Brawl, Melee AT's would be useless online! Go play Melee you f*ggots!

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I'm sorry but this is p*ssing me off. The ONLY reason I have to play this game is Wifi. If this became standard, Brawl would literally be a useless piece of sh*t to me. You're turning Brawl into a new game, so instead of being whining b*tches and complaining about how bad Brawl is, go play the game you want and be happy with it!

The only reason half the people are playing Brawl is because they can't play Melee! I understand this is far from happening, but you don't realize how unfair this is... It makes the game better for people who can mod/ are live, but invalid for people who can't mod/ are not live. Even if you could mod Brawl, Melee AT's would be useless online! Go play Melee you f*ggots!
Lol, you really think anyone's going to avoid playing Brawl+ just so you can keep playing?

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
This is not the place for your Anti-Brawl+ crap though. Any more shenanigans and I'll infract you (sorry Sudai, lol)

But yeah, this is the first I've seen of Brawl+, and it quite simply looks amazing. I'd mod my wii, but the last time I tried that I ended up having to buy a new one. Guess I'll just have to hope someone brings one to a tourney, lol.

Sudai

Stuff here
NTD, have you even looked into Brawl+? L-Canceling is Automatic..which was the only mildly hard part of Melee. Look into it more before you point out alleged flaws.

Oh, and even if all of SWF converts to Brawl+, there's still gonna be random n00bs online for you to play with. You say it's not fun to play random n00bs? Then why do you even bother playing online? Even pros become random n00bs when they play online.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Even pros become random n00bs when they play online.
Quoted for truth.

Aaaanyway, I was playing Brawl+ yesterday (against computers)
Its alright, I can see the appeal. ROB combo's like a beast. Reduced landing lag after aerials+ROB=broken.
Personally, I still like Brawl better, mainly because of te lack of combos. I see it as a more involved game. When combos are present, you can mess up once ang get combo'd to oblivion, whereas you still have a chance to redeem yourself in Brawl. In Brawl, you have to control the match, and if you let the control slip, you can still lose, even with a big lead. But that doesnt mean Im going to crusade against Brawl+. It has its own merits.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
This is not the place for your Anti-Brawl+ crap though. Any more shenanigans and I'll infract you (sorry Sudai, lol)
To be fair, this isn't the place for Brawl+ crap either =\ Until SWF officially converts to Brawl+ and makes subforums for each character, it really doesn't belong anywhere. Then again, maybe I read it wrong but you came off pretty elist, Glyph.

Personally, I'm open to either. I'm one of those people who believes the world goes round and we can all live with Melee AND Brawl AND 64 AND Brawl+ and still have fun without picking one and tearing the others down

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
To be fair, this isn't the place for Brawl+ crap either =\ Until SWF officially converts to Brawl+ and makes subforums for each character, it really doesn't belong anywhere. Then again, maybe I read it wrong but you came off pretty elist, Glyph.

Personally, I'm open to either. I'm one of those people who believes the world goes round and we can all live with Melee AND Brawl AND 64 AND Brawl+ and still have fun without picking one and tearing the others down
The thread title is "ROB in Brawl+". This is probably the best place for this, so long as it stays related to ROB.

And I apologize if I came of as elitist, I've never even played Brawl+. However, when someone makes a post like Nintendevil did, I feel I was perfectly justified acting as I did.

shanus

Smash Hero
Glyph, if you hop in the IRC we can probably get your wii hacked and up and running the latest beta of B+ within 5-10 minutes.

gamesurge.net/chat/BrawlPlus

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

I'm not trying to convert the entire Brawl community to Brawl+. I just want people to try it, give it a legit shot, and decide for themselves. I personally found it to be a lot more fun than Brawl. And like some others said, people can play both. Not to mention the Brawl community is by far the biggest Smash community right now, so you really have nothing to worry about. You'll have plenty of random scrubs to play online no matter how Brawl+ turns out.

Aaaanyway, I was playing Brawl+ yesterday (against computers)
Its alright, I can see the appeal. ROB combo's like a beast. Reduced landing lag after aerials+ROB=broken.
Personally, I still like Brawl better, mainly because of te lack of combos. I see it as a more involved game. When combos are present, you can mess up once ang get combo'd to oblivion, whereas you still have a chance to redeem yourself in Brawl. In Brawl, you have to control the match, and if you let the control slip, you can still lose, even with a big lead. But that doesnt mean Im going to crusade against Brawl+. It has its own merits.
The lack of combos in Brawl is one of the biggest reasons why it's such a campy game. There's no reward for being aggressive, because even if you land a hit, you basically reset after every little exchange. Brawl+ fixes that, so the player with better control over their character will do better. Mistakes are supposed to cost you, that's why they're called mistakes. Standard Brawl+ rules are 4-stock matches though, so if a mistake costs you a stock you can still come back, unlike in Brawl.

It also adds more shieldstun, so you can't just punish every approach OoS.

One thing I gotta say I don't particularly like about Brawl+ is no stalemoves. Anything that requires less thinking and strategy doesn't seem like an improvement to me. I just hope they had a good reason for it, like to prevent certain gay combos when moves got stale, instead of just blindly trying to be more like Melee.

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to convert the entire Brawl community to Brawl+. I just want people to try it, give it a legit shot, and decide for themselves. I personally found it to be a lot more fun than Brawl. And like some others said, people can play both. Not to mention the Brawl community is by far the biggest Smash community right now, so you really have nothing to worry about. You'll have plenty of random scrubs to play online no matter how Brawl+ turns out.

The lack of combos in Brawl is one of the biggest reasons why it's such a campy game. There's no reward for being aggressive, because even if you land a hit, you basically reset after every little exchange. Brawl+ fixes that, so the player with better control over their character will do better. Mistakes are supposed to cost you, that's why they're called mistakes. Standard Brawl+ rules are 4-stock matches though, so if a mistake costs you a stock you can still come back, unlike in Brawl.

It also adds more shieldstun, so you can't just punish every approach OoS.

One thing I gotta say I don't particularly like about Brawl+ is no stalemoves. Anything that requires less thinking and strategy doesn't seem like an improvement to me. I just hope they had a good reason for it, like to prevent certain gay combos when moves got stale, instead of just blindly trying to be more like Melee.
The Uptilt spam was a major problem with stale moves on. Also, we wanted stale moves, just only stale moves in the damage department and not knockback. We want knockback to be something we know and can play off of rather than it sometimes being unknown in the total direction you'd actually be hitting them in.

Revven

FrankerZ
We do have a reason for it, we tried lowering it, let me show you what we tried:

We tried:
2/3 (still powerful and allowed for gay Utilt combos)
1/2 (still powerful and allowed for gay Utilt combos)
1/4 (still powerful and allowed for gay Utilt combos)

So, kupo was about to go even LOWER than 1/4, but then MookieRah came in and said "why bother? If we go even lower, stale moves won't matter anymore anyway. Let's just get rid of it." And, so we did, and it's worked out pretty well so far, Fox can't Utilt as well as he could with stale moves. However, WE DO plan on having damage stale, it's just not high on the priority list atm.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
But if it's just the damage that's staling and not the knockback, that won't prevent anyone from spamming their strongest attacks. The stalemoves system was one of the biggest improvements in Brawl over Melee IMO, because you couldn't just spam the best moves, you had to actually plan things out a bit, and save certain moves for killing, and it made the game more strategically deep.

I guess if tilt spam was too gay with stalemoves on, then it had to be removed. Maybe there's a way to make them scale differently, so the hard-hitting KO moves lose a lot of their potential if you spam them, but tilts keep a fairly constant knockback during spam so they don't continue to combo into themselves at higher %s. I understand that it's a lot to ask of you guys though. It's fine how it is now.

btw, ROB is awesome. /staying on topic...

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Alright I'm done flaming, but I'd still like to say some things.

I'm not trying to convert the entire Brawl community to Brawl+. I just want people to try it, give it a legit shot, and decide for themselves.
We gave it a shot. It was called Melee.

I'm not saying I hate Melee, I loved it, but this just shouldn't be done. I even like the idea of forcing people to become aggressive because of combos, but I don't see this as the opportunity to do that. Other fighters fixed that. This feels like a Giant middle finger to Nintendo.

On one hand: The fact is, it's Nintendo's fault for: not making Melee online/ Making Brawl crappy. This will split community into two pieces you know. A Brawl divided cannot stand.

On the other hand: the more I think about it, the more I like it, but I can't get these problems out of my head:

1. Re learning the game. OK not that hard, but it'll start a years worth of progression all over. Not just competitively but everyone will have to find new mains/ seconds. If you where good once you may have trouble catching up.

2. What if Nintendo finds a way to perma-block this? It's supposed to be safe but not everyone is a risk taker.

3. I still don't think online will get credibility. Will this contain Wavedashing? Glide tossing already has a 50% success rate online. WDing will be a mthrfckr.

Yet ultimately, after some thinking, my only disbelief in this is online. I can't say it will fail because I haven't played it. If I can find enough people to play, then I suppose it's a keeper. I'd just have one question for you. If I downloaded Brawl +, would you and Sudai at least consider wifi for a bit so I know I'd have a crowd to play right off the bat? (gettingmyhopesup)

shanus

Smash Hero

I'm not saying I hate Melee, I loved it, but this just shouldn't be done. I even like the idea of forcing people to become aggressive because of combos, but I don't see this as the opportunity to do that. Other fighters fixed that. This feels like a Giant middle finger to Nintendo.

On one hand: The fact is, it's Nintendo's fault for: not making Melee online/ Making Brawl crappy. This will split community into two.

On the other hand: the more I think about it, the more I like it, but I can't get these problems out of my head:

1. Re learning the game. OK not that hard, but it'll start a years worth of progression all over. Not just competitively but everyone will have to find new mains/ seconds. If you where good once you may have trouble catching up.

2. What if Nintendo finds a way to perma-block this? It's supposed to be safe but not everyone is a risk taker.

3. I still don't think online will get credibility. Will this contain Wavedashing? Glide tossing already has a 50% success rate online. WDing will be a mthrfckr.

Yet ultimately, after some thinking, my only disbelief in this is online. I can't say it will fail because I haven't played it. If I can find enough people to play, then I suppose it's a keeper. I'd just have one question for you. If I downloaded Brawl +, would you and Sudai at least consider wifi for a bit so I know I'd have a crowd to play right off the bat?
1. I don't think this is a problem, esp. because its too much fun that its very fresh and exciting to play.

2. As long as you don't update your wii, nintendo can't block it. Even if you are on 3.4, you can turn off wiiconnect24 and they can't even force an autoupdate on you.

3. Online works very well as a lot of players use it every day on the IRC. Also please remember, we do NOT use the melee air dodge system. We only use Brawl air dodging.

Also Nintendevil, our B+ IRC contains a lot of excellent players who frequenrtly look for wifi. I can forward you the IRC link to get you started up with installing it and playing online if youd like. It is located at:

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
1. I don't think this is a problem, esp. because its too much fun that its very fresh and exciting to play.

2. As long as you don't update your wii, nintendo can't block it. Even if you are on 3.4, you can turn off wiiconnect24 and they can't even force an autoupdate on you.

3. Online works very well as a lot of players use it every day on the IRC. Also please remember, we do NOT use the melee air dodge system. We only use Brawl air dodging.

Also Nintendevil, our B+ IRC contains a lot of excellent players who frequenrtly look for wifi. I can forward you the IRC link to get you started up with installing it and playing online if youd like. It is located at:
Well Then I'll defiantly take a look into this (still wants to brawl Sudai.)

As for the blocking thing. Doesn't Nintendo require you to update consoles, otherwise they don't let you play games after a certain date? If I didn't update it, I wouldn't be able to play the conduit would I?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
says that, then says

If its so much like melee, how is it relearning the game?

End of discussion there.

Now my turn for input, JCaesar, do you have this on your wii now? I want to try your version, since the version i played before sucked. It was honestly complete garbage. If you're free sometime soon, i'd like to try it.

Also, I updated my wii kind of recently (it was an auto update it did in the middle of the night thing I think) can it still be hacked? I think it was updated in October or November.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Since there's no good tourneys this weekend, I may go visit my old college, so the earliest I can play is probably next Monday.

Brawl+ is a completely different game from the one you played.

Also, Brawl+ =/= Melee. I think Melee is a better competitive game than Brawl, but Melee bores me as much as Brawl does, because I played it competitively for years and years and I've seen pretty much everything there is to see. It's old and stale. Brawl got stale a lot faster than Melee did, because it's just not as deep or fun (though I think the characters in Brawl are a lot more varied and interesting, and they would even be better balanced if not for a couple stupid ones at the top of the tier list).

Brawl+ is new and fresh. It's hard to tell at this point how deep it is, but that's kinda the point of giving it more Melee-ish mechanics anyway. Learning it is precisely the reason why I'm so hyped about it right now. Learning a new game is a lot of fun, especially when you have a solid foundation and you're learning it with other people.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I'm just now getting around to watching that replay....that was sexy as ****. I wanna play Brawl+ now XD

I so wanna play this...but I don't wanna take the chance in ****ing my Wii up...

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm just now getting around to watching that replay....that was sexy as ****. I wanna play Brawl+ now XD

I so wanna play this...but I don't wanna take the chance in ****ing my Wii up...
You won't mess it up. I also just made a video which I'll put on youtube later of exactly how to do it, its so easy.

Also, I personally have done it on a bunch of wii's (even messed up the files I was using on them a few times), and its never hurt it at all. I have never known of 1 case of twilight hurting a wii.

Tantalus, yes you still can update it. Visit our IRC:

Top Bottom