• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB+: Organic Meatbags Beware!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It doesn't make him ****ty, but that hardly seems like justification for a random nerf. The original dash attack is also his only setup for usmash (literally, the only possible way to land the **** move, and even that is DI-dependent).

jalued

Smash Lord
since it is apparently DI dependant, then surely once the metagame improves for against rob, opponenets will learn how to DI so they do not get hit with dash -> upsmash. sounds like a legit combo to me, his dash attack is hardly amazing anyway *coughsnakecough*

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Oh darn people actually answered back? The original dash attack into fair can be avoided if you DI well, in fact Kage a ganon player in Brawl+ is able to avoid my gimps by doing that. I dont understand why people whine about that silly gimp combo when 1/4 of the cast can do this in a different way on everyone with bad recoveries. Character with bad recoveries still end up being gimped in Brawl+ it as simple as that, MK is still ungimpable in Brawl+

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Lets make sure this thread doesnt die..

Does anybody else think rob could use a little more speed in the air?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think ROB is **** near perfect just the way he is. There are only a few things I think he could use at this point:
  • A tweaked utilt. ROB's utilt was **** in vBrawl, but it was nerfed so that it wouldn't lock and it ended up being just worthless, and hasn't been touched since then. My idea for it is to make it hit kinda like Marth's usmash (but much weaker), where the sides pick you up into the middle and the middle hits you up, so that without DI it would set up for uair.
  • Able to cancel up-B faster. This would make him flow better in the air and just make him a lot trickier. I think a lot of good could come from a change like this.
  • A faster laser charge time (only the strong laser, not the weak one). Strong lasers are only good for gimping, not camping, so this would help ROB focus on his more desirable strengths.
Possible nerfs to counterbalance these buffs:
  • A slight nerf to fair's damage. Considering how often this move is used and how easily it links into and out of pretty much every combo ROB has, 10% seems a bit much. I think 8% would be more appropriate, with knockback compensation so that it works identically to how it does now.
  • A slight nerf to nair's kill power. Dthrow->nair is a reliable kill combo on much of the cast in the low 100s. This seems a bit too low for a gimping character like ROB. An additional 10% or so before nair can kill doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Obviously I want to hear some input from other ROB+ players (especially Holy). These are just ideas, nothing is set in stone. And I'd love to hear other ideas.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Sweet, a big post to boost discussion...

with your utilt idea, i dont think it would have enough hitstun/the wind down time of his utilt would be to long to combo into an uair.

What do you mean cancle Up - B faster? Its either cancled by either doing an attack or air dodging, i dont get what you mean.

About the charge time, is that actually edit-able? Also it helps a bit because that move if it hits them sends them flying which would give you more time to camp and ect. It also does more damage. However it is easier to dodge.

Rob is a really low damage character already, i dont know why you would want to nerf his damage further.

And im pretty positive that if somebody double stick DI's at the moment of dthrow impact (which is pretty easy considering how long an animation it is) dthrow > nair isnt solid on anybody.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
I tried out the improved Side B. It's pretty fun, but also overly synergetic with ROB's abilities. I'm not saying ROB is broken with it. In fact, it has a natural weakness in that it is a charge attack like Meta Knight's drill so it changes his position. And it is telegraphed somewhat, so you can at least block it and counterattack.

However, ROB *is* overpowered with it. Probably not outright broken, just overpowered. He was already bothersome in regular Brawl because he had two projectiles covering each other's minimum chargeup time, so it's not like most characters could stay too far away without consequence, and anybody who approaches has to contend with his solid, if kind of hard to control, melee game. Now he has two projectiles that are potentially spammable back-to-back, said solid melee game, *and* a good quick approach/retreat option.

Still, it's better than the old Side B being horrendous, all in the name of better real balance and better fun. I normally don't like plenty of Brawl+'s additions and feel they're overly unnatural, but....hold on.

(Side Special Move: Arm Rotor)

Push the button repeatedly to increase the power of the spin and continue attacking. You can even deflect projectiles.

Ba-ching! This move is bound to come in handy...
It wasn't handy before. It is now. And that was rather short.

Revven

FrankerZ
Just so you know, Master Knight, the Side B momentum is a side effect of the momentum code we have. We can take it out at any time with an easy code that fixed Sonic's Spin dash momentum as well however, the Side B hasn't proven to be at all his best move + it looks cool (just like Ganon's side B momentum). All in all, it doesn't make ROB any better than he is now so I see no harm in it really.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Sweet, a big post to boost discussion...

with your utilt idea, i dont think it would have enough hitstun/the wind down time of his utilt would be to long to combo into an uair.

Well it's a true combo in vBrawl so I'm preeeeetty sure it would work here :p

What do you mean cancle Up - B faster? Its either cancled by either doing an attack or air dodging, i dont get what you mean.

There's a half-second or so after you start your up-B where you can't do anything, including attack. I'd like to make that dead time shorter. (you can't airdodge out of your up-B btw)

About the charge time, is that actually edit-able? Also it helps a bit because that move if it hits them sends them flying which would give you more time to camp and ect. It also does more damage. However it is easier to dodge.

I don't know if it's editable, it's something I have to look into. And if you're letting your laser charge, you aren't using it to camp. That's part of the purpose of this proposed change. It encourages you to play more aggressively and go for gimps instead of camping. Full lasers are garbage for camping.

Rob is a really low damage character already, i dont know why you would want to nerf his damage further.

These proposed buffs need tradeoffs. This was my suggestion but I'm open to other ones.

And im pretty positive that if somebody double stick DI's at the moment of dthrow impact (which is pretty easy considering how long an animation it is) dthrow > nair isnt solid on anybody.

Dthrow->nair is solid on most of the cast at kill %s regardless of DI, trust me.
Responses in red.

Jeebus 3 responses while I typed this? o_O

You best not be touching the Robocopter :mad:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
you can't SDI throws lol

around 110% Dthrow is a guaranteed kill and you can always follow up, but good DI is really hard to...and any lower it'll only kill the lighter chars (unless you're close to the edge and get a good angle, but I mean if you DI smartly you'll DI behind the ROB in that case and the angle won't be good at all...) and if you get too high (150 I think?) Dthrow wont combo into nair anymore

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
ROB is broken his Side-B isn't useless anymore
I didn't say he's broken. Overpowered is simply when the character has a definite advantage, but broken is when it's impossible or at least absurdly difficult to win against the character if the character's player is competent.

Side B does worry me, though. ROB's moveset certainly doesn't look like something I'll want to subject a 5-year-old to.

Just so you know, Master Knight, the Side B momentum is a side effect of the momentum code we have. We can take it out at any time with an easy code that fixed Sonic's Spin dash momentum as well however, the Side B hasn't proven to be at all his best move + it looks cool (just like Ganon's side B momentum). All in all, it doesn't make ROB any better than he is now so I see no harm in it really.
I'm aware of that much. The vanilla Side B was horrendous enough that the coded Side B is a considerable improvement. Now if only some of the other lousy moves would stop being so lousy.

ROB's improved Side B not being a top move, huh? Hmm......well, I don't feel too much speed with ROB otherwise, so I'm guessing it's somewhat predictable anyway. In the end, it most likely boils down to tactical usage. But I am worried about the potential application like punishing Gyro grab attempts, especially considering ROB can survive heavy punishment so knocking him off balance once doesn't exactly cripple him to begin with.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Im sorry for saying stuff that blatantly isnt possible, my john is im sick and really tired.

For the airdodge out of up-b, my mind wandered into thinking about that vbrawl tech where you can turn yourself around with down-b, then hit airdodge. It cancles your side b, turns you around, and for some reason it takes away all your lag and you dont airdodge.

i dont know what i was thinking when i said SDI his dthrow, but its never been a true combo against the people i play against (this might be the characters they use though, peach in particular, with bad di i barely miss and with good di, i dont even come close to connecting with the nair)

Rob's side b.

I had a huge amount of about 7 paragraphs going into great detail about why it was sucky. It was tl;dr. Just trust me that it sucks, and its almost never worth doing (unless you are sandbagging)

Also to jceasar..

Your right about Robs neutral b. But the philosophy in which you described non camping is sort of a trade off in itself. I think it should be added, and its so minor i dont think a trade off would be neccasary.'

About the utilt, that strikes me as something that would be able to juggle FFallers like fox from low percentages, although then again im sure the angle could be tweaked until something worked out
Ju

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Im sorry for saying stuff that blatantly isnt possible, my john is im sick and really tired.

For the airdodge out of up-b, my mind wandered into thinking about that vbrawl tech where you can turn yourself around with down-b, then hit airdodge. It cancles your side b, turns you around, and for some reason it takes away all your lag and you dont airdodge.
We call that "gyro-canceling." It's one of ROB's few legit character-specific ATs.
i dont know what i was thinking when i said SDI his dthrow, but its never been a true combo against the people i play against (this might be the characters they use though, peach in particular, with bad di i barely miss and with good di, i dont even come close to connecting with the nair)
It depends on their weight, and it only works if you predict their DI correctly which can be difficult because the timing is tight, but I assure you it's a true combo on over half the cast at kill %.

Rob's side b.

I had a huge amount of about 7 paragraphs going into great detail about why it was sucky. It was tl;dr. Just trust me that it sucks, and its almost never worth doing (unless you are sandbagging)
It is definitely a punishable and risky move with little reward, but it has some great situational uses. It can be a great approach against someone who's just standing back spamming projectiles because no one ever expects it. It's also useful if someone like Diddy is going to approach you with a glidetoss. Also, if you just tap it once, it ends very quickly and is faster than running. You can even give your 2nd jump a substantial boost with it, and wavebouncing it is sexy.

Also to jceasar..

Your right about Robs neutral b. But the philosophy in which you described non camping is sort of a trade off in itself. I think it should be added, and its so minor i dont think a trade off would be neccasary.'
It's not truly a tradeoff though because nothing is being nerfed. It doesn't weaken camping, it just discourages it because it rewards more aggressive play.

About the utilt, that strikes me as something that would be able to juggle FFallers like fox from low percentages, although then again im sure the angle could be tweaked until something worked out
Ju
With enough BKB (base knockback), it won't self-combo and will only be able to combo into uair. That's how I'd like it to work.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
What would be the percent range where utilt to uair would be a combo, and would that be the only air attack that you could combo off of it?

zaf

Smash Lord
Sound interesting, I dunno about nerfing the Nair. That thing is ROB best killing move and only does 10% which isnt much. Uptilt has to be changed, its a useless move and doesnt do anything since they nerfed it. I agree about changing it, whenever its to combo or simply a damaging move. Dunno about the rest, we need to test this stuff out. I of course think ROB at his original state is already perfect in any way but testing stuff outs doesnt hurt.

*This is HolyNightmare on Zaf computer.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Thanks for the input Holy.

What do you think about being able to instantly cancel up-B?

And does changing fair from 10% to 8% sound like a reasonable nerf if we get instant up-B cancel, a functional utilt, and faster charging strong lasers?

I'll try to get a test build to play with eventually, but I don't know how to use PSA yet :p

shanus

Smash Hero
When you do modify the utilt, try and make sure you don't re-surface the weird tumble trap that occured after addition of hitstun and gravity. No idea why it happens, but those interior hitboxes can be very annoying.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It happened in vBrawl too. It's the same "lock" thing that Sheik's ftilt used to do to FFers.

I want it to hit like Marth's usmash (with a lot less strength obvioiusly), the side hitboxes pulling up and into the top hitbox. I just want it to be useful.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Thanks for the input Holy.

What do you think about being able to instantly cancel up-B?

And does changing fair from 10% to 8% sound like a reasonable nerf if we get instant up-B cancel, a functional utilt, and faster charging strong lasers?

I'll try to get a test build to play with eventually, but I don't know how to use PSA yet :p
Sure 8% would be fine, need the same knockback like you said though ;)
Let see if those changes arent too broken, I would help you with it if my wii wasnt getting repaired. Ill get it back by friday.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Bump..

So whats the news with your changes jceasar?

Also have you given more thought about slightly increasing his horizantal air speed?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
We're getting pretty close to a gold release and we're trying to tone down character changes so I never ended up fooling with it. Sorry D:

I really do think ROB is **** near perfect the way he is though.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Perfect as in the Perfect character, of perfect as in you don't want to nerf him since you're afraid of Holy?

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
To be quite honest, I do agree with Caesar - ROB really doesn't need any changes other than utilt. utilt was made pretty much useless by B+ because it was godly otherwise (chained forevvvvveeeerrrr at 0% on ff'ers) but has been kept nerfed since then. Since people know where to approach ROB from (diagonally up in front of / behind, outside ftilt/fsmash/utilt range), and the windbox didn't really provide that much coverage there, it won't really warp matchups - just make a near-useless move actually useful.

He's really annoying, but in a way that's kind of fun to play against. Dunno.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You like the changes? Good to hear. I designed the dsmash to be a pure GTFO move (10 damage, almost no followups, can't kill, but still as safe as it always was), and Viet fixed utilt very nicely, though it doesn't combo very well at kill %s (but that's what we have dthrow for). Overall I love how ROB feels now, just gotta get out of the habit of trying to nair after a dsmash :p.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
I like the "new" changes.

Having the old dash attack back is really good (honestly i dont know why it was changed in the first place... but...)

A different dsmash sort of bothers me, but oh well the minor ner***e is worth having the old dash attack back.

My main opponent is a peach so i haven't noticed the utilt, if peach gets in the correct positioning for an utilt, you're fighting the matchup wrong.

Lol at how it censored the word nerf-age.

Edit: Also i was just wondering if that rob dair hitbox, where if you dair them, they just pop up instead of getting sent down was fixed/was planned on being fixed. Many times ive hit an opponent with the extremely situational dair just to have them pop up and punish me in my lag for successfully hitting them with that move...

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Double post but this is about something different. They are making a matchup chart so we should probably start discussing matchups. Imma start with just some general ideas i have about the matchup then other people should post stuff too.

Bowser - 60:40 Rob. Rob can camp him pretty much to death, can gimp him pretty well, and is one of the few characters that rob's fair strings are actually legit on.

Captain Falcon: IDK. I dont have much experience with this matchup. On one hand rob can gimp him, but on the other rob is an extremely easy character to combo, and falcon can be viscous. He is fast too, so he can probably negate a bunch of rob's camping game.

Charizard - Not much experience with this either. No comment.

DDD - 55:45 rob. In vbrawl this was D3 advantage, because he could pretty much outcamp rob, then force rob to make all of the approach's which he could then ruin with his sheild grabbing, and high priority aerial attacks. 2/3 of these are gone, probably rob advantage.

Diddy Kong - not much experience with this. No comment.

Donkey Kong - 55:45 DK. DK has some pretty viscous combos on rob, and can gimp him pretty well too. He also can pressure him pretty well with his tilts and bair. Rob can camp him and gimp him.

Falco - Haven't tried this matchup in the most recent build, and i heard falco changed a lot. No comment.

Fox - 60:40 fox. Rob's weakpoint is under him, fox gets there pretty easily. Not to mention fox can combo him well and his usmash kills rob from low. Hes also pretty fast which can negate rob's camping. Rob can gimp him pretty well and has some combos on him.

Game and Watch - 70:30 game and watch. Game and watch kind of shuts him down. We can discuss this in more detail with more people.

Ganondorf - 70:30 ganondorf gets *****.

Ice Climbers - Not much experience with this matchup. No comment.

Ike 70:30 rob. Rob can camp him pretty well, and rob has some pretty fast activating attacks which can hurt him badly. Rob can also gimp him well.

Ivysaur - Not much experience with this matchup. No comment.

Jigglypuff - 60:40 Jiggzawz. Jiggz'z rest combos finishes rob pretty quickly. Jiggz can also gimp rob. Altho jiggz does die pretty easy..

Kirby - 65:35 kirby. Kirby can gimp pressure and combo rob pretty well. Rob can camp him sorta, ruin a few of his approaches, but not really gimp or combo him.

Link - Rob. Nuff said.

Lucario - Not enough experience.

Lucas - Not enough experience but seeing what his recovery is, i'd lean towards rob.

Luigi - Luigi has some combos can break out of rob's limited comboes easily, and can kill from low. However rob can gimp luigi pretty well, and luigi cant.

Mario - Strangely enough it was mario adv in vbrawl. I dont know though, he gets gimped by rob pretty easily, and his recovery isn't good enough to effectively consistently gimp rob.

Marth - Id give marth advantage, but he was changed a lot recently, so i dont know.

Meta Knight - i rember this matchup was 15:85 in vbrawl. I have a hard time believing rob would be able to turn that around.

Ness - got changed a lot recently. Dunno.

Olimar - 60:40 rob

Peach - 65 - 35 peach. I have a lot of experience with this matchup. Peach is really hard to gimp as rob and has some pretty bad combos on him along with being pretty hard to kill and combo on top of that. Peach also pressures rob really well. Rob can camp her pretty well though..

Pikachu - Not enough experience.

Pit - id give it rob advantage, because pit can be gimped when doing his up-b easily.

Pokemon Trainer (All) - not enough experience.

ROB - Rob dittos are fun

Samus - Dunno

Sheik - Dunno

Snake - Rob destroys snake

Sonic - All of the sonics i play suck, i probably couldn't weight fairly on this.

Squirtle is super effective on metal type.

Toon Link not much experience.

Wario - not too much experience.

Wolf - Probably rob advantage cause of the gimping and combos on him.

Yoshi - The yoshi i play is crap.

Zelda - Probably zelda advantage, although i know you would have a better idea then I on this specific instance, Jcaesar.

Zero Suit Samus - Not enough experience.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ROB ***** the ganon matchup imo

I lost like 5 times in a row to some Ganon then I 4 stocked him. the matchup is really easy, it just takes some getting used to.

also I beat the best Oli in the state about 3 times in a row, 2 of them being his cp, ROB does a lot better now because you can combo offstage.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
I was going about even with my friend who has experience with ganon, but then again i didn't camp at all so i could probably own him if i camped a ton.

Give me a number for these matchups and ill edit.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
rob seriously ***** ganon hardcore, just dont try to punish ganon's fair and if you ever get hit with a side B tech away...70-30

olimar is like 60-40, its really easy to gimp but oli still beats us onstage...

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
As i said i wasn't camping at all and making like all of the approaches, so i was sandbagging, but that dthrow > dthrow > bair > dthrow > Uair > a good set up kind of scared me a bit.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ganon should never be able to land a grab on you, his grab has terrible range

yeah the matchup is hard until you know what to do, like I said I lost about 5 times in a row cuz I kept trying to punish fair mainly, its unpunishable unless you can outrange it...and ROB cannot...lol maybe his Ftilt can or something but the thing has like no lag so its hard anyway. @.@

but yeah if he ever approaches with anything besides fair you can punish, bair *****, camping is fun, his recovery is terrible and you can gimp him at 0% BUT if he's already below the stage and you're still on it give it up, his sweetspot is amazing so you won't be able to hit him on the way up. and stay far away from the ledge when he goes from the sweetspot because his little purple fist that happens at the top of his up b has retardedly good range.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
ganon should never be able to land a grab on you, his grab has terrible range
Yeah...about that...

"Grab Collision Box 1 size increased to 8.8 from 4.8 to match the animation"

from 8-13 Nightly

I do not believe that was removed.

<_<

Top Bottom