• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB+: Organic Meatbags Beware!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
You crazy? D/uthrow -> uair does ~30%, and on heavies and fastfallers you can sometimes get another uair off for great damage racking.

ROB is known for his great gimping though and I would hate to see anything happen to that.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
30% isn't THAT much compared to other characters combos (cough Peach, Lucario) BUT being able to get 30% off of a single throw IS pretty wicked. Not to mention off stage combos can just result in death. Basically, I was just saying that SOME characters are capable of doing more damage with a combo than ROB, but it really doesn't matter much because ROB can combo you when/where it hurts the most (such as off-stage). Fair *****

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
At 0% does fair->bair in a shorthop and would it hit? My brother plays fox so i can't really rely on that since fox is one of the fastest fallers in the game.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
In regular brawl it wasn't that great for R.O.B. when compared to characters like Ike or Peach. However, in brawl+, while his jab canceling game isn't as good as such characters its definately better and you can pull off jab>grab or jab>dtilt kind of often. His jab cancel game is pretty good in +

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
And let's not forget following up those dtilts and grabs with more goodies!

ROB is made for me in B+...well so was B+ in general...but still, don't think I'll get bored him with him like I did in vBrawl!

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
I got in an arguement with zelda_master_timmy (ZMT) over ROB's use in B+. He says ROB's inability to fight while being in the air when being attacked from below makes him a horrible character. Is that true?
It doesn't make him a horrible character. But hes not top tier. This is a huge weakness against characters that can exploit it, such as Peach. Attempting to sideB across the stage can get you Uaired if your opponent sees through this. If you try to sideB past them...well thats just not smart. Fortunately for ROB, he has some really crazy gimping combos (fair strings mainly) which shut down some characters.

Veril

Frame Savant
Yes, Rob has a weakness. This isn't a bad thing in regards to game balance. I would see the same thing with GWs supposed susceptibility to combos if that were actually true (doesn't hold up to any kind of testing whatsoever).

Anyway... Rob's Dash-canceling options are so good. Sooooooo good. I'm surprised I didn't see any mention on the first post.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
I think the main change to ROB's gameplay is that he's more of a "forward defense" character. Basically, you can kind of do what Marth does to make a range'd wall to control the opponent's options with space'd bair, fair, nair, ftilt, dtilt, gyro (in hand, tossed up or on ground), dsmash, and grab. Space with these, then follow up a successful hit into as much damage or kill. His long/mid range camp game can supplement this, making for a forced approach to create openings at closer ranges, rather then keeping people shut out.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
Very true. ROB is all about limmiting people's options. Once you limmit their options, they become easier to predict because they have to do someting to counter the way you are controling them/the stage. Then, you can predict their counter measures and deal with them accordingly. ROB is a master of baiting in b+

Also, you really shouldn't be approching unless you really have to. If you have to then SH nair properly spaced is your best bet since it has no landing lag and has a hitbox that goes all around him.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
Going to use my first post in an attempt to bump this topic...

I find that in many situations, if you hit with a dash attack, you can sometimes combo into a few more dash attacks. This is useful because if you hit somebody with a dash attack in the center of the stage, you can string dash attacks together to hit them much closer to the edge, until you can do a fair chain gimp.

Also i find its sometimes better to end a fair chain with the fire part of your bair while using by turning around using your up-b.

This is useful because if your worried about whoever your fair chaining di-ing out then using their second jump in an attempt to recover, when you drop your fair chain and switch to rising bair, they have to use their second jump then and there to recover in certain situations, which will make them jump right into your rising bair.

This also helps conserve fuel, because you obviously start heading towards the stage as soon as you do your rising bair, and bair also has the potential to side ko from much earlier than fair, so you dont have to go as far out to kill them

If somebody is high in sky, above the stage, a rising nair combo is also effective, even if you arent under them. You can do a rising up-b nair, with forward momentum past them, then wavebounce to go the other direction, back towards them, for another nair. This isnt always a true combo, but often times its a psuedo combo that they cant airdodge out of.

I also find jab>grab to be an effective way to get a grab

Also in an attempt to ensure further discussion is this thread, we should probably start talking about match ups with characters, and thereby get strategies and such to beat said characters.

Edit: you may also want to edit your first post to note that full uair only does 19 as opposed to 23 in vbrawl.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
****, that's one hell of a first post O.o

For comboes, D-throw is awesome. If there are no platforms for them to DI on to, you can get D-throw-uair(landing)-utilt-nair or D-throw-fair chain.

Against snake, ROB is stupid good. If you get him off the cliff, he is so far dead since you can laser and gyro him to make him low, then just dair him from the top.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If anyone wants to take this thread over, be my guest. I still play a lot of ROB in Brawl+, but I have no great desire to run this thread. Just have a lot of other things on my plate right now.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah I've been using green lasers. Still don't know what ROB texture I like best yet though. There are so many good ones. Meat grinder, Icy, Robo, Wall-E, Missingno, all the various neon/Matrix style ones, I just don't know which one to choose :dizzy:

5ive

Smash Champion
Hey guys. I just got back from a tournament yesterday, and I had some matches with Holy Nightmare (yep, Ally's brother and also the best vBrawl ROB in North America). Just thought it was appropriate to post them here, as he was not only the best ROB I've played, but he was the best person I've played overall. Hope these videos help.

Brawl+ 4.1b

5ive (Pikachu) vs. Holy (ROB) 1

5ive (Pikachu) vs. Holy (ROB) 2

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Don't get close to him. Not only is ROB a beast at camping, but his tilts keep even characters like Marth out of ROB's personal bubble.

But yeah, unfortunately ROB is really easy to combo once they get in. Luckily he's also hard as **** to kill.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
I dont like how ROB got nerfed in the lastest version, his dash attack doesnt connect to upsmash anymore. The dthrow has been buffed(Alot of knockback) disabling upair combos pass 30%, hell the dthrow is a now a killing move and for some reason upthow kill faster now I guess to compensate from the nerfs which is useless. Really idiotic changes, this makes me want not to play ROB anymore.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
haha, that's exactly what i wrote in the nightly builds thread. cape answered:

ROB changes were for this reason:
D throw has more KBG so that D throw > Nair works on FFers and Heavies only at KO percents but U throw was given more so that it kills floaties easier.
Basically it forces you to consider your options considering your opponent. Not really a nerf, just gives him more depth.
link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7903560&postcount=5821

bs imo

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I dont like how ROB got nerfed in the lastest version, his dash attack doesnt connect to upsmash anymore. The dthrow has been buffed(Alot of knockback) disabling upair combos pass 30%, hell the dthrow is a now a killing move and for some reason upthow kill faster now I guess to compensate from the nerfs which is useless. Really idiotic changes, this makes me want not to play ROB anymore.
They were Cape's changes, not mine btw.

I'm not a big fan of the throw changes. The idea was that dthrow -> nair works too well on too many characters, so now it's supposed to only work on fastfallers, and uthrow was buffed to kill floaties. But a side effect is that dthrow is now worthless for combos :ohwell: I need to talk to Cape about reverting it.

I've gotten used to ROB's dash attack though. In the middle of the stage, depending on how they DI it, it either sets up for fairs or a tech chase. Near the edge, it helps a lot with gimping, especially fastfallers. This wasn't the intent though so it'll probably get changed too.

The idea for the dash attack was that they didn't want it to combo into fair, because fair is so **** at gimping. Comboing into usmash is fine, but if it combos into usmash, it probably combos into fair too. My idea for fixing this is to make dash attack hit the same as it used to be, but make the angle slightly behind, so hopefully usmash will still combo and a forward-facing fair won't, but a turn-around fair will. I dunno how well that will work though.

Do you have any ideas Holy? We'd love to have your input.

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
any news on these nerfs/"changes" being taken away and rob being reverted back to how he was, or is this change permanent?

Also maybe im just paranoid, but i seem to recall that in vbrawl rob's uair and full charged gyro did like 2-4% more damage then they do in +. Is this true?

BeepBopRobot

Smash Cadet
In vbrawl Mario actually had the advantage against rob because his side b was very good at reflecting rob's projectiles, and once mario got within range of fireballs, (which was relatively easy in vbrawl) mario could simply outcamp rob with fireball spam. However i have not played brawl+ that much recently, and never really used mario all that much in brawl+ in the first place so i dont know if those two tips are still applicable or not.

Also Mario probably gets edgegaurded even harder by rob in brawl+, so if you can outcamp with fireballs (which you may not be able to do), a strategy i could see that could be applicable would be hanging out near the middle of the stage forcing rob to come to you, thereby exploiting one of rob's biggest weaknesses (lack of approaches) and even if you do get hit, since your near the middle, you'll not be hit as far off and may be able to recover safer.

For Marth ill just give you the general advice versus rob.

When approaching try to get into position so that you can exploit his grounded blind spot (area between high angled ftilt and utilt) If you go there, or are headed there, a rob player will be forced into an unfavorable situation where they have to move and each option they chose is counterable. Rob also has a major blindspot under him. I know im preaching to the quire here, but dont be afraid to up-b through rob with marth to recover.

Now then about my question, does anybody have answers?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
To win with Mario, camp and stay near the middle of the stage. And when you start a combo, keep juggling.

To win with Marth, try to stay inside ROB's comfort zone (which ironically is not that easy for Marth since ROB deals with Marth's fair spam better than most) and punish whatever you can. And stay near the middle of the stage.

any news on these nerfs/"changes" being taken away and rob being reverted back to how he was, or is this change permanent?

Also maybe im just paranoid, but i seem to recall that in vbrawl rob's uair and full charged gyro did like 2-4% more damage then they do in +. Is this true?
ROB's throws will be reverted in the next build. I dunno about dash attack yet.

All moves in vBrawl did slightly more damage. The first attack of a stock in vBrawl does 105% of the base damage. In Brawl+, all attacks do 100% of the base damage but they don't decay.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
PLEASE revert dash attack. if it was like how it was in vbrawl ROB would FINALLY HAVE A SETUP INTO A KILL MOVE! Dear god he needs it so ****ing bad.

shanus

Smash Hero
PLEASE revert dash attack. if it was like how it was in vbrawl ROB would FINALLY HAVE A SETUP INTO A KILL MOVE! Dear god he needs it so ****ing bad.
dthrow nair works well on a surprising portion of the cast

stingers

Smash Obsessed
it doesnt really make him ****ty. it's just needlessly making it HARDER for him to get kills...killing was never his strong point lol

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
dash attack change I think is still in until it is proven to make ROB ****ty.
Why can't we take it out until it is proven that the nerf is needed?

Few people put ROB in the top 10 and yet in the past 6 months of builds, he has solely received nerfs (most of which have been reversed). This does not seem like fair treatment to me.

Revven

FrankerZ
Why can't we take it out until it is proven that the nerf is needed?

Few people put ROB in the top 10 and yet in the past 6 months of builds, he has solely received nerfs (most of which have been reversed). This does not seem like fair treatment to me.
I just said that because I don't think it makes him ****ty but, I didn't think ROB needed anything to begin with.

Top Bottom